The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

I weirdly admire Blizzards commitment to headcanon with this game.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Love and Peace

"Sombra, Mei finally kicked us out of her lab, can we 3v3 in your apartment? Ok, cool, the thing is we already started. Stamped 'Overwatch Anniversary' on it and everything. Also, D.Va says that Diet Pepsi is for 'scrubs' and you're out of Diet Pepsi."
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
"Also, D.Va says that Diet Pepsi is for 'scrubs' and you're out of Diet Pepsi."
This is fucking gold.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:20 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I weirdly admire Blizzards commitment to headcanon with this game.
I guess they shitcanned the comic series too? All I can think is that they're trying to keep from writing themselves into a corner, as has happened with literally all their other major IPs. They literally hired a librarian to keep their accumulated WoW writing straight, and they still get basic pieces of the fiction wrong there.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

That's not the stated reason, but it's clearly the actual reason.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Crabjörn

Yeah that's never really stopped being a thing. To wit: Hanzo's entire arc dissolves like sugar in water the second they unveiled playable Genji.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Is there not one thing

Level 25 last night but I haven't done my placement matches bc I don't think I can balance a career in pro overwatch with my other commitments at this time.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Love and Peace

Does Blizzard even have an in-house writer anymore, since Metzen retired? I'm going to assume that they still require writing for at least WoW.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 PM
King Of Space-Time

Well they did bring Christie Golden on board just recently.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Is there not one thing

Short answer: Who the hell even knows

Long answer: Blizzard has tried and failed multiple times to get their IP stories into the hands of people who can do things that aren't mash up John Carpenter movies with 80s marvel comics. Their creative development team was stood up to manage the fictional development of their IP, lost every fight with management they ever had and ended up kicked out. The Starcraft team shelled out serious coin to bring Warhammer luminary Andy Chambers to the us, used him zero times, then bought out his contract. Who the shit even knows what is going on with Warcraft these days. Two expansions in a row have flipped the setting on its head, and the general sense is that it's a game of calvinball behind the curtain. They've resorted to cleaning up and publishing their setting bibles to keep people invested.

My guess is that with Metzen gone they're shoving the boring parts of story development off on another flashy hire who will be marginalized and/or pushed out the moment senior leadership disagrees with them
Old 05-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Is there not one thing

To immediately undermine my own point I will say that until now they seem to have kept their hands off the Overwatch head writer. Though canceling the brand extension's written works suggests that this policy has come to an end.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 PM
TARANTUL

Can I read about that in detail someplace, AV? Because it sounds like a delightful train wreck to watch.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:44 PM
夏の夕暮れと

i think it's unavoidable that overwatch's story is never going to make sense in the context of the game that exists. and not just like, "why are x and y fighting z together?" but on a very profound tonal dissonance level. the characters and game are basically way too silly to mesh with what they want to be a rather heavy setting and history. so i have to feel that anything more than using the other media to serve as a hook for the characters is probably not especially worthwhile for blizzard anyway
Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Can I read about that in detail someplace, AV? Because it sounds like a delightful train wreck to watch.
No one who really knows cares enough to write it all down, least of all in a way that could be tracked back to them.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
King Of Space-Time

YES. 50's D.Va!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I need to be able to configure Overwatch to randomly swap my skins every time I die

Because that's the only way I'm going to be able to use all these fabulous D.Va skins.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Love and Peace

No kidding! I guess I wasted a week slogging through goddamn HotS for Cop D.Va.

I saw the 76 and Zarya skins on twitter and thought the event was going to be a dud, but everything except those two is so good that I guess they were thrown in so Blizzard could troll us a little.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Fifth Business

Quote:

I saw the 76 and Zarya skins on twitter and thought the event was going to be a dud, but everything except those two is so good that I guess they were thrown in so Blizzard could troll us a little.
I could ALMOST like the Zarya one in its absurdity if not for the weird Iron Man face-plate. Change that and I could've been okay with it!

Plenty of other fun costumes though, and despite only playing a bit today I lucked out big, getting both the new D.Va skin, and Pharah's new costume as well!...twice...I-I got Pharah's twice. Two loot boxes in a row had it.

One of those situations that is sort of impressive luck which unfortunately materializes in a way that is of limited benefit.

I'm savin' up the gold from that and other stuff for the new Mei costume, because Mei's one of the three characters I'm closest to 'maining' (though I prance gleefully from character to character and try to give everyone their due, my statistics don't lie, and Mei, Junkrat, and Symmetra stand high above the rest in playtime) and also it is adorable and also I like shit being bee-themed, I just do.

It is, of course, as evidenced by how many other people online expressed the exact same line of thought, tragic that they didn't go all out and change any of her ice-effects...change her icicle shot into a bee-stinger, change her ice-wall into a honeycomb-wall, change her self-freezing move into popping into a protective beehive, change her enemy-freezing moves into getting them stuck with sticky, sticky honey...but I understand that would be a prohibitive amount of extra work to do on effects just to fully flesh out one of many wacky costumes.

But to see the potential and possibility there, one can't help but feel the call of that which could be, and should be, but stubbornly is not.

Alas.

Alas...
Old 05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
King Of Space-Time

Paid out my credits for Oasis Symmetra. So regal!

Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Yeah, after FINALLY getting a good D.Va skin, I... then go and manage to get this one from a box.

I at least also got the Mei skin, so I finally have something cool for both of my faves.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

The whole thing is worthwhile just for Sentai Zarya.

Everyone else is just gravy
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Highway To HFIL

I can't wait to not get any of these rad skins in dumb random boxes and then be sad about it forever
Old 05-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Is there not one thing

Won my first 1v1 game thanks to some wretched hero picks by my opponent. He really believed McCree was the man to take him to the promised land, despite all available evidence
Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
i think it's unavoidable that overwatch's story is never going to make sense in the context of the game that exists. and not just like, "why are x and y fighting z together?" but on a very profound tonal dissonance level. the characters and game are basically way too silly to mesh with what they want to be a rather heavy setting and history. so i have to feel that anything more than using the other media to serve as a hook for the characters is probably not especially worthwhile for blizzard anyway
Valve was able to produce an ongoing webcomic for Team Fortress 2. Blizzard has zero excuses.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Crabjörn

And again, the character development Torbjörn's gone through so far has been surprisingly good, especially when you consider that he is The Dorf
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Valve was able to produce an ongoing webcomic for Team Fortress 2. Blizzard has zero excuses.
Valve fans tend not to base their very existence on whether Soldier canonically tops Demoman or if it's the other way around.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Reaper now reloads automatically upon entering Wraith Form which is HUGE. I played him for the first time seriously yesterday and had a blast.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:08 AM

Oh snap. When I was playing him last night he felt really different, I had no idea that's what was happening.

Spooky Form getting more Spooky.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Valve fans tend not to base their very existence on whether Soldier canonically tops Demoman or if it's the other way around.
This level of engagement with Blizzard characters seems unprecedented from where I sit, and if I were their brand manager I would be very, very worried about killing the golden goose with too much exposure.

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch