The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 12-13-2016, 03:43 PM
actually an eevee

what blacke magick are ye up to'n here?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

My latest cross-stitch creation! Still haven't ironed it but TOO BADS.

OR... FOUR BADS?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:55 AM
actually an eevee

Nice! Are you going to leave them all together or frame separately, or?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

Left together to be framed together. I think them all in the frame is pretty bad ass!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Not a Beer

Awesomesauce.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

So cool Eddie
Old 12-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Banned

Where is the photography thread?!

http://photoskop.com

Website lets you Learn photography in a flight simulatory way. Kinda neat to play with even if you don't photography.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
My latest cross-stitch creation! Still haven't ironed it but TOO BADS.

OR... FOUR BADS?

Cross-Stitch Lich
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Jump and shoot?

Seafoam Empress Available to Play!

Come check out the Seafoam Empress thread for details!

Also, that cross stitch is incredible.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 PM
actually an eevee

crossposting from the politics thread

I don't always get inspired, but when I do, I get busy
Old 01-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Not a Beer

Nice!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 AM
is Earnest

I love it! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 PM
actually an eevee

Take this song

And sing these lyrics
Quote:
Pioneer! O, Pioneer!

If you'd like me to
Come with you for all of your days
Let me sit close to you
On this wagon you've built out of tarps and of wood.

We can set off then
With the breaking of dawn
In the early gloaming twilight
Before the heat that will come
'Neath the last stars of night.

The prairie, the prairie, the prairie's
No longer the frontier
I tell you, the planet, it will be ours to conquer
I love it--the canvas, just like my heart it flutters
It flutters, it flutters.

If you'd like me to
Sleep by your side every night
In summer beneath the moon
And winter in winds and in snow
Just utter the words; I will follow you!

The prairie, the prairie, the prairie's
No longer the frontier
I tell you, the planet, it will be ours to conquer.
I love it--this wagon just like my heart it trembles
It trembles, it trembles.

If you'd like me to
For the rest of my days
Wade through swamps and through sands
Brave dangers and joys alike
Just utter the words; I will follow you!
It's a little more literal than "I will follow him" bc I really loved the imagery and thought it'd be a shame if anglophones couldn't appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:56 PM
I like tribbles

I did this quick updo at work today.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Not a Beer

Nice!

(I just realized this is exactly the same as my last nearly-content-free post in this thread, but what can I say? People here make sweet things.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Safe Space

If I had enough hair to work with, I'd love to see what you could do with it, Alice.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:37 PM
I like tribbles

And I'd love to play with it!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 PM
crazy sniffable

Ohhh man that's some hair wizardry!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 PM
crazy sniffable

And duurr just scrolled a bit upthread; Eddie those crossstitch pieces are amazing! Crossstitch spritework is the best.

And Lady, that painting would be totally amazing on a grand scale - anywhere in your town that could use a mural?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Not a Beer

I have no idea where to put this post since it involves games and toys and all kinds of shit, but it's also a photography and history project sort of, so what the hell, miscellaneous creative thread for now:

I started up a new tumblr at https://kirinsretrocloset.tumblr.com/

I recently cleaned out several childhood closets and attic space from my parents' house (since they're probably moving within the year) and recovered all kinds of treasures. Seemed like they could use documenting. Toys, games, computing stuff, and other treasures, all from the 80s and 90s. People who've followed my posts in the toys thread and elsewhere have seen a few of these already, but there's new stuff coming as well. I plan to drip-feed it slowly for a good long while. Give it a follow if you use tumblr and are interested! Or just check it out from time to time. I'll probably cross-post some of the best pics to relevant threads here as well.

Oh, it's also going to host some supplemental material for Retronauts East, since a good bit of stuff I dug up is relevant to some topics I'll be covering over there as well.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:57 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm not sure where to put this but I need to put it somewhere, and this thread seemingly applies to creativity, so here it goes.

An old friend of mine, who I've kept in touch with through Facebook, wrote a book last year that he finished somewhere around Thanksgiving. He put out the call for proofreaders, people who be "brutally honest" (his words) about the work in question, which is a kind of high-fantasy novel, in the vein of Salvatore or Tolkien. He said he already had an editor, someone to wield the Red Pen of Doom, so he just wanted folks to critique the novel for readability, narrative consistency, and so on. I volunteered.

I've made my way through as much of the novel as I can stomach and I think I owe him some feedback, which is overdue since he sent me the novel on Jan 5th. Now, I don't want to discourage creativity - I think we need more artists - but holy to the fuckin' moly. This prose is super-duper amateur hour. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from an eighth grader who just discovered The Hobbit, has never read for pleasure before, and now has a wild hair up his ass that his very first work is a.) a fantastic read and b.) salable.

It reads for the most part like a thorough and detailed version of an outline for a D&D campaign. It really comes across not so much as a narrative but more like "Here's all the cool things that are going to happen when I sit down to play D&D with myself." If I squint hard enough, I can see the damn character sheets and rulebooks.

It's a hodge-podge. Boring and hackneyed in spots, overly detailed in spots, he has a SEVERE case of telling instead of showing, an unfortunate tendency to want to get flowery instead of getting on the with the business of telling a fucking story, etc.

And I haven't even touched on the characterization of the one female protagonist, and the interaction with the four male protagonists; my eyes rolled so hard I'm surprised it was not audible. Copious amounts of mansplaining. The men always know better and always have a thing or three to say to "improve" the female. The female is some kind of druid-type character but she has to be schooled on how to read a map. (She's holding it upside down and one of the guys sheepishly corrects her mistake. This is not comedy or satire; it's played straight.) She is a highborn elf and thus snooty and shrew-like, which isn't super-horrible in and of itself, but combined with all the other shit is just goddamned insulting. And the non-druid men always seem to know more about druidism than the female druid, which is just mind-bogglingly bad.

My friend, the would-be author, is not a bad guy. He's a rather good guy, and he means well no doubt, so I don't even think he realizes he's given himself over to tropes that were already tiresome umpteen years ago.

I don't think he's cognizant of how trite the whole thing really is. Half of me wants to keep reading to see how bad it gets.

So I find myself at an impasse. Do I deliver the brutal honesty he seemed to wish for, or do I soften the blows as much as possible, or do I find some excuse to bow out and tell him I could not provide an in-depth critique, leaving my response to something like "needs work, good effort"? I would like to offer some constructive criticism but, fuck, where do I even start? (Aside from, "wild hairs are fine but you need to read everyday to develop the narrative ear and write everyday for practice. Commit to a daily regime and rewrite ALL of this in about a year.")

He commented a few weeks ago that the editor was about three-quarters of the way finished and she liked what she had read - "Editor's almost done and she likes it. So, I can write! Who'd have guessed?" - and it took all of my willpower not to just go take a fucking nap because, at that moment, I couldn't handle what I had gotten myself into.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Safe Space

We live in a post-Eragon world, four-so.

I would give him the brutal honesty.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
where do I even start? (Aside from, "wild hairs are fine but you need to read everyday to develop the narrative ear and write everyday for practice. Commit to a daily regime and rewrite ALL of this in about a year.")
Just tell him what he's got, not how he should go about fixing it. You can give him the broad strokes, and offer to give detailed examples on any points if he wants them. So you can say you thought it was dated, sexist, felt like notes from a D&D campaign, had too much exposition instead of action, etc.

Maybe remind him of his request for brutal honesty because I have a feeling it's going to get ugly like a Painting 1 critique. If he gets defensive just let it lie, there's no need to debate your points.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM
actually an eevee

People pay a lot of money to get into workshops like Viable Paradise and Clarion in order to learn how to take critique. It requires being very comfortable with yourself and confident in your ability to really listen to well-reasoned criticism and act on it.

There's a good chance your friend isn't there yet. I'd say tell him that you've got some feedback that might be hard to hear, and let him confirm that he really wants critique and not happy fuzzy pats on the back. Then, be clear about where you see the weak points at, but put the emphasis on how it affects the work as a whole, and what could possibly serve to make it stronger instead.

decision tree:
1) he wants happy fuzzies
1.a) "wow, it takes a lot of work and dedication to finish something like that; congratulations"

2) he wants to improve his book
2.a) these are the parts that, at best, do not move your plot and action forward, and at worst, serve to undermine the efforts of decades of feminism.
2.b) a general description of what would serve better (but no rewriting; let him pen the words)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe since there's been some months since he gave me the novel - he had only finished it about a month before, so he was still riding high - I can ask him again what kind of feedback he really wants. I took a fair amount of notes that I could condense to something actionable. Or I can just leave it at, "Good effort. Many people start writing a book but not many people finish one."

And yeah, I don't think he'd debate any of the finer points. I think he'd just be depressed and would lose a bit of faith in himself, the expectation and the reality not meshing as well as he had probably hoped. The story isn't complete schlock. He does some interesting things, like his dwarf playing against type, but he has a long road if he really means to produce good prose.

At least I have some places I can go when he asks about it again. Thanks, guys.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Anyone have cheap, tasteful looking, and creative ways to hang some vinyl sleeves?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 PM
actually an eevee

Like card sleeves?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:42 AM
crazy sniffable

There are record-sleeve-sized plastic frames, or maybe little wall mounts like these?
Old 05-21-2017, 02:11 PM
actually an eevee

My friend got some player figures for Tokaido, and I brought my paints over to colorize them. These things were small! I was glad I took all my paintbrushes, because my usual set would not have been sufficient to do these.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:04 PM
King Of Space-Time

Hm. That reminds me. I have several minis I'd like to get assembled/painted but I do not have the hands for it. Is anyone here capable?

Tags
not worth its own thread