The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Black Hole Sun Came - RIP Chris Cornell

Fuck my teenagers years were spent listening to Sound Garden and then my early adulthood by Audioslave.

Peace to him and his family.

source

Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 AM
concentrate

RIP in Peace. You Know My Name is my favorite Bond theme.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:39 AM
Nonplussed

I'm floored. Cornell was a singular voice in rock. I'll just link to two of my favorite Soundgarden tunes:

Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 AM

Man. Really sad news. Great voice, when I in college I thought that overall, soundgarden was kind of lame and cheesy, but as I aged I realized there's a certain wink to the way they can have songs that really bring down the house followed by something like...'Kickstand' or 'get on the snake'. Iconic voice. Say Hello 2 Heaven is probably one of my favorite vocal performances.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 AM
kill

He was the third best rock singer in history (Mercury and Page 1 & 2 respectively), and Superunknown is the best album of the 90s. Bummer
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM
It's all good, man

This is definitely a bummer. On Twitter, Madhair shared the insane-yet-true fact that Chris is the first singer of a James Bond theme to die.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Better be the real thing.

I wound up with "You Know My Name" in my head in the shower this morning after seeing the news.

Another interesting fact: Cornell was a convert to Greek Orthodoxy through his wife Vicky.

And just a month ago he visited a refugee camp in Greece.

May his memory be eternal.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

This is hitting me really, really hard. Fuck.

Rest in peace.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Life depends on change

Dude's voice was incredible. RIP.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM
the :motion: stands

holy shit
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

I just woke up to this. I want to go back to bed. Soundgarden was such a huge part of my teens and Cornell's voice was one of the most amazing things in the history of rock music.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Outer Spacean

What the fuck. I wasn't the hugest fan of Soundgarden (I think they're good, but I haven't had the chance to fully dig into their backcatalog...need to remedy that), but Temple of the Dog, for as brief of a moment they were a thing, really did some heavy lifting into my 90s nostalgia. And this is the song that leaped into mind when I saw this thread:

Which is strangely apt now. You'll be missed, Chris. RIP.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
He was the third best rock singer in history (Mercury and Page 1 & 2 respectively)
Ahem. Bruce Dickinson would like a word.

Sad news. Such a young age, too. 52 seems old when you're young but it really isn't.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
This is definitely a bummer. On Twitter, Madhair shared the insane-yet-true fact that Chris is the first singer of a James Bond theme to die.
Paul McCartney doesn't count?

(And it's also only true because We Have All The Time In The World isn't played over the opening credits of OHMSS)

But, yeah, it's funny how most people I've spoken with today are instantly mentioning You Know My Name when talking about him. That song was REALLY good, and I think it sort of served as the capper to his career in a lot of ways.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 AM
concern troll

I was never the biggest fan of his, but I cannot deny how powerful that fucking Black Hole Sun video was to me when I was a young teen. It was just so unnerving and rad. Also, he was instrumental in the founding of one of my favorite bands ever, Pearl Jam. Temple of the Dog was awesome, and I'm sad we never got a proper reunion/second album.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Autopsy confirms suicide.

God…
Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
I put this on while I was getting ready for work this morning and I almost lost it.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Mystery Contraption

I wasn't enough of a fan to know much of his work, but god damn did I love You Know My Name.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

At least the death of perpetual shitstain Roger Ailes brought some balance back to the Force.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

"Black Hole Sun" was the song that got me into alternative music. I must have been maybe thirteen at the time. That video was disturbing and awesome and so utterly bizarre, and it accompanied a song that struck a part of me I didn't know I had. I was never much of an overall Soundgarden fan (I gravitated more toward Alice In Chains, in the end), but I loved a lot of individual Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog songs.

I guess in a way, it shouldn't be surprising that so many of the major grunge bands (I don't know if Soundgarden is grunge, technically, but they get lumped in with a lot of those groups) have lost front-men to suicide or self-destructive behavior. But it is, all the same. So many of these people who were famous in the pursuit of their art seemed ageless when I was younger. It hits hard, losing them.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Man, really sucky news. And I was kicking around the idea of seeing Soundgarden when they were in Indy last week.

Random thoughts / remembrances:

The first time I heard Chris Cornell was on the stellar Singles soundtrack.

Superunknown and playing Link's Awakening on Super Game Boy are inextricably, uh, linked in my mind because those were pretty much the only things I played in the Summer of '94. That was also the first summer I had my own car, so awesome summer was awesome. Also, I think Superunknown may have been the last album I bought on cassette tape.

Thinking back, I listened to a lot of Cornell's work while on the road, mainly travelling for work; Down on the Upside when working in Chicago and Euphoria Morning while working in Fort Wayne. He was a good travelling companion.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
The first time I heard Chris Cornell was on the stellar Singles soundtrack.
*knux* An awesome soundtrack, which included the first appearances of the best Alice in Chains track and one of the greatest Pearl Jam songs as well (no, not Breath).

It also seemed the de facto posture to dump on Audioslave, but Cornell's vocal on "Like a Stone" is awesome (just as one example).
Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 AM

^Has one of the best pumpkins songs, too.

Birth Ritual is such an intense song, as well. Though I don't think I've ever met anyone that actually has seen the movie...
Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
*knux* An awesome soundtrack, which included the first appearances of the best Alice in Chains track and one of the greatest Pearl Jam songs as well (no, not Breath).
Pearl Jam aside, it was my first exposure to all the featured artists so it was even more mind-blowing.

Agreed on it being a showcase for SP, AiC, and PJ; in a way I consider Singles to include bonus tracks from Ten. I think it also has the greatest Screaming Trees track.

I should see the movie someday.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡HarlequinPanic! View Post
^Has one of the best pumpkins songs, too.

Birth Ritual is such an intense song, as well.
Also true.

Quote:
Though I don't think I've ever met anyone that actually has seen the movie...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I should see the movie someday.
I truly love the movie.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:13 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I've seen Singles many, many times. Great soundtrack, recently released on vinyl, I believe.

I was familiar with Soundgarden already but "Birth Ritual" is excellent.

And "Drown" is a great early Pumpkins track, although I prefer the non-Singles version because they cut out some of the dumbass distortion shit at the tail end of the song.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:51 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I was never the biggest fan of his, but I cannot deny how powerful that fucking Black Hole Sun video was to me when I was a young teen. It was just so unnerving and rad. Also, he was instrumental in the founding of one of my favorite bands ever, Pearl Jam. Temple of the Dog was awesome, and I'm sad we never got a proper reunion/second album.
I feel similarly. Soundgarden was slightly before my time and a little weird. But the power of Soundgarden was undeniable. I'm a Pearl Jam fan as well so I've seen Chris in many interviews over the years. He always comes off as an intelligent and nice person. I think Chris and Stone Gossard were roommates at some point (I could be remembering facts wrong). I thought it was odd that Pearl Jam, didn't to my knowledge have some statement on Chris. I'm sure all the members are devastated through.

Its sad to hear Chris take his life on a number of levels.

Something tragic about 90s Seattle bands dying before their time. Obviously Kurt Cobain took his life too. I couldn't remember if Layne Staley committed suicide. So I looked it up. Forewarning, this is pretty dark. Layne's accountant noticed he was not drawing funds for two weeks and called someone to check in on him. The police were contacted at some point and they went to his apartment. When the police entered the apartment, they found Layne with a pile of drugs. When found, Layne was 6 feet tall weighed 80 lbs. Learning this did not make Chris's passing any better. I don't know why I thought it would. Morbid curiosity I guess.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

I remember a friend commenting a couple of weeks before Stayley's death on seeing him wandering around the University District in a haze and looking truly awful, so that death came as no surprise. Cornell felt out of nowhere.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

"Only Eddie Vedder is left. Let that sink in."

On a side note, you have Billy Corgan left, and his ego is too large for him to die unceremoniously. Corgan has always been more important to me than the grunge artists. I only mention him here because Smashing Pumpkins rode the grunge wave into the mainstream, even if Smashing Pumpkins were not grunge, seeing as how it would be a helluva stretch to describe the Pumpkins' sound as post-punk. Smashing Pumpkins were always "alternative", the arbitrary marketing distinction that signaled, "Well, not grunge, but worth a listen" to 90s kids.

Tags
obituaries