The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 PM
hidden in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Any good puzzle games on phones? Preferably not online, or a block-based puzzle.
A little late for this suggestion, but Fill-a-Pix is my new jam. I got burned out on picross, so this is the Minesweeper version of the same concept. The basic puzzles are fine, and are good to get started with. The Advanced Logic ones take a few mental leaps to be able to fill in anything beyond the most obvious locations. I've had medium size puzzles take me a few hours to complete.

They give you a good amount of both puzzles for free, and even have a web version so non-phone people can try it out.

http://www.conceptispuzzles.com/
Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
$99.99, + $14.99 for the laser engraving (unless they were running a special, as they've done before). Free shipping, and comes with two AA batteries.
Looks gorgeous. I'm jelly!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
A little late for this suggestion, but Fill-a-Pix is my new jam. I got burned out on picross, so this is the Minesweeper version of the same concept. The basic puzzles are fine, and are good to get started with. The Advanced Logic ones take a few mental leaps to be able to fill in anything beyond the most obvious locations. I've had medium size puzzles take me a few hours to complete.

They give you a good amount of both puzzles for free, and even have a web version so non-phone people can try it out.

http://www.conceptispuzzles.com/
this is good
Old 05-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Yes, let's feast!

It's free weekend for Guild of Dungeoneering on Steam, and JBear asked me, "Curious how you'll get on with that one. I expected to like it, but ended up really hating it." So now that I'm two-thirds of the way through the campaign, here are my thoughts: it's OK.

Guild has more than a little Desktop Dungeons DNA, except where Dungeons is a perfect-information, nearly-deterministic puzzle game, Guild is... well, it's a card game. I'll be honest here: there's no way Guild is coming out ahead in the comparison, but even being kind of like Desktop Dungeons is to the game's credit. Like, Phantom Menace compares unfavorably to Empire, but you still watched it because it was Star Wars.

Unfortunately in this case, the part that most resembles its superior predecessor is the meta progression. The actual dungeon crawling is fun as you're learning what cards you get out of the various abilities, but if you read this, you've gotten most of the enjoyment you'll get out of the game. To the game's credit, some of the quests are interestingly designed -- bosses that chase you down, or bosses who are weaker if you get to them early -- but those ideas also exhaust themselves early, and by the end of the first act, you've seen most of the interesting stuff.

That said, there is interesting stuff to be seen here. I really liked how the different classes have small changes that promote widely different play styles. The Bruiser benefits disproportionately from defense, and the Alchemist can build entirely around healing. Again, this is reminiscent of Desktop Dungeons, and so naturally it's the best part of the game.

It's at least worth checking out for a few hours while it's free, unless you haven't played Desktop Dungeons, in which case you need to go buy that instead.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Any good puzzle games on phones? Preferably not online, or a block-based puzzle.
Monument Valley. 4 bucks for a gorgeous, atmospheric puzzler. Granted it takes 90 minutes tops but the experience is worth every penny.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I wound up getting this and have been playing it. It's short and good enough, hasn't really grabbed me with its art style or story though.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Gamers are idiots

PC Master Race might be at the top of that idiot list though

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

That's hilarious, in a way. At that point I'd rather get a computer case that I could somehow fix-mount a monitor onto.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
That's hilarious, in a way. At that point I'd rather get a computer case that I could somehow fix-mount a monitor onto.
And of course it cant just be a giant fucking laptop it has to have all these hard edges, matte black, and random fucking glowing panels.

Fuck, gamers have the worst taste in the world.
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Never thought I'd see the day when my old gaming laptop from about 5 years ago -- an ASUS G74SX -- would be thought of not as "out of date" but "tastefully restrained".
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
#deadfish2017

Thing costs $9000 dollars.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
And of course it cant just be a giant fucking laptop it has to have all these hard edges, matte black, and random fucking glowing panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Thing costs $9000 dollars.
It has a picture of a dragon on it. It's just there, right above your keyboard, every time you open it up.

EDIT:

"Hey Bill, you should conquer new worlds today."
"Ok dragon, thanks for the advice again."
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I did not watch the entire review. But in the promo shot on that YT video, it shows two fucking brick power converters in a stand.

Are those necessary for that computer? It already weighs 19 fucking pounds?!
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

The review seems to imply yes; the power draw on that thing must be gargantuan...
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I did not watch the entire review. But in the promo shot on that YT video, it shows two fucking brick power converters in a stand.

Are those necessary for that computer? It already weighs 19 fucking pounds?!
Go ahead and buy it. Search your feelings, you know you want it!

(no really, it does. lol @ this thing's excess)
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
World of Darkness Returns

The only thing appealing to me about that laptop is the mechanical keyboard, fuck chicklet keys.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Good Bee

My favorite part is how it's both the price and weight of six macbook pros
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

how does its power compare to six macbook pros, we need to benchmark this stuff
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Antifa Lockhart

Pac-Man CE 2 might be the first game I've played in which merely finishing the tutorial presents a genuinely stiff challenge. You have to earn ten extra lives before beating the boss for a "Perfect". Wisely, this is not compulsory in order to progress - I've been playing for about an hour and still haven't nailed it.

Edit: thinking about it, this isn't correct at all. Loads of fighting games have e.g. combo tutorials I'd probably never clear...
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Has anyone pointed out that Grasshopper Manufacture claims Punk's not dead! yet their newest, most insidiously corporate game yet is titled Let It Die?

Maybe it's a sad admission or a desperate cry for help.

Is the dream dead for Grasshopper, with only aesthetic surviving?
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
this is good
although it's flawed by being unable to put notes on a square. Makes the "advanced puzzle" section a hassle
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Has anyone pointed out that Grasshopper Manufacture claims Punk's not dead! yet their newest, most insidiously corporate game yet is titled Let It Die?

Maybe it's a sad admission or a desperate cry for help.

Is the dream dead for Grasshopper, with only aesthetic surviving?
I don't actually think Suda is involved with any actual game making and hasn't for a while. He just scribbles down concepts he had while high and some other studio ninja-develops it. Slap his name + Grasshopper on it for branding purposes, and boom, new cult hit.

A F2P model for Let It Die is kind of a clever idea, though.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I don't actually think Suda is involved with any actual game making and hasn't for a while. He just scribbles down concepts he had while high and some other studio ninja-develops it. Slap his name + Grasshopper on it for branding purposes, and boom, new cult hit.

A F2P model for Let It Die is kind of a clever idea, though.
I'm actually enjoying it. Like, nothing mind-blowing, but good enough. I just couldn't help seeing Let It Die as a direct response to Punk's not dead.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Bertolli?!?...

WOO, got our first win in PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS! What a rush! I thought that there were still a dozen people alive, but I guess I had just tunnel-visioned, because then the victory screen popped up! We had a high hill over-looking the final tiny circle and were prone in the grass on top of it with 4x-8x scopes trained on the other side. The remaining guys were dancing around trees desperately looking for cover and clearly didn't even know where the shots were coming from as we killed them all. It's going to be hard to come down from this high and sleep tonight!
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Suda's Switch project is the first new game he's directed since No More Heroes 1, he wasn't terribly involved with Let it Die, people just sort of assume he's a key staffer on any Grashopper Manufacture game.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Chief Servbot

Suda's been trapped in Management Heaven for about a decade, but he did just personally oversee the English release of The Silver Case, and like fanboymaster said he's personally directing the new Switch project. Here's hoping he's back for good

Also Let It Die is surprisingly good

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage