The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default Digital Down-Low for 05/17/2017: BAM! POW! Comics aren't just for kids anymore!

Starting the thread a day early this week because there's a LOT to cover for both networks I care about! Whoooo-doggy!

And the first thing I'm bothering to mention is another Neo-Geo release! One that came out on the Switch weeks ago; Overtop! Which, based on dedicated Octo-calibre research, is a vroom-em-up of the RC-Pro Am sort, featuring only the pre-rendest of visuals. Drive in zig-zags a quarter mile at a time for your family!

Akiba's Beat is the sequel to "everyones" favorite anime about ripping peoples clothing off to expose them for the evil vampires they are! This time, instead, you fight to save Japans precious supply of horrible nerds from a supernatural threat! That's... technically better?

Deathstate is a rogueishlike-em-up shooter, like Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne, or Binding of Isaac or any one of the other half dozen games with that description that comes out every week.

This one costs $13.49 CAD! That's what sets it apart!

Okay, without looking at anything except the title I'm guessing that Future Unfolding is a walking-style arts-em-up. And you befriend a critter and learn to feel the emotion of love and go "awww" and then it dies because the game is actually about being sad and that's what sells in indie games even harder than roguelike shoot-em-ups.

Okay; watching trailer now

<ahem>

Well, top-down perspective, not first person, but otherwise, yep, nailed it.

And going for the exact opposite set of reactions, we have Injustice 2, the sequel to the secret best Mortal Kombat game/eight-millionth "What if the Justice League were BAD?!?!" story from DC comics in the past decade. Now you can dress up your heroes with customization costumes! And the playable roster has expanded greatly! At long last Goody Rickels, Brother Power the Geek, Colonel Blimp, Cap'n Bibbo Bibboski and Dex-Starr the Evil Kittycat are given their due.

Guess which two of those actually show up in the game!

Guess which one is playable!

Seasons After Fall is another artsy-style game, but this one is at least a puzzle-platformer where you're a talking varmint who can control the weather, Oracle of Seasons style. Which, honestly, is a mechanic I'm surprised hasn't been used more often, now that I think of it. C'mon guys, Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on that!

The Surge is an action game of some sort. The trailer didn't explain anything save showing a dude wearing one of the Power Loaders from Aliens punching a robot and a dude, and the description doesn't mention much beyond the fact that you can rip off robo-bits and wear them.

So that's all you're getting from me!

And that's all for now. I'll update with the eShop tomorrow. And probably again on Friday since I think there's more coming out then.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Come, noble knights!

I did find out that Dex-Starr is Atrocious's battle companion upon research, so you won't have to die today for pulling a cruel prank, Octo.

That said, I'm not sure who the other one is. Goody Rickles is unlikely 'cuz Don was 90 going on 91 and dead as of April, and Colonel Blimp is more likely to bring up results for the British cartoon character than some D-grade Batman villain.

So I'm guessing it's either Brother Power the Geek or Bibbo, priority on Bibbo since he tends to get aound a lot more.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Mystery Contraption

Bibbo, indeed, shows up in the background of the Ace of Clubs stage
Old 05-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Mystery Contraption

All right, eShop time! Let's keep this streak alive, kiddies!

And the switch is starting with Thumper, which I thought was a VR game that came out on PS4 a while ago, but apparently not since the Switch can only handle games that take place in regular-reality. The more you know! Anyway, it's a rollercoast-em-up where you shoot stuff. I guess like Rez or Panzer Dragoon or Star Fox. One of those. Don't rightly know which because the trailers for the game err of the side of vagary.

We've also got another Neo-Geo game that too came out on PS4 a few weeks ago; Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors, which I keep wanting to type as "Universal Soldier". And while that's wrong, there are no fewer athletic cyborg warriors speaking heavilly accented english as they clobber one another for dominance. So perhaps there is less of a mandala effect in play then I thought!

Also up and representing far less enthusiasm, is Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical, a spin off of the 3DS mediocre Mega Man homage series. And also the surprisingly enjoyable RPG Brave Dungeon. This time you fight via DANCE rather than through platforming or grindy RPG combat.

And speaking of grinding, Disgaea 5: Complete is also out (on Tuesday), just in time for all the Switch early adopters who have wrapped up Breath of the Wild to be ready for another multi-dozen hour adventure. I haven't actually played any Disgaea game since the original so I can't claim to be burnt out by the series! Huzzah!

SRPG your way through a grid full of monsters with stats so high the numbers become effectively meaningless in your effort to save Hell form bad guys who are supposedly worse than the present ruling party! Sigh, and rub your temples at the design of at least one important character! Spend more time in the Item World then with the actual games story!

It's all possible, if you believe!

And speaking of SRPG re-releases that are new to me and therefor New Games; the 3DS also got Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, a remake of the long forgotten, weird second NES game! Now gussied up all to shucks and back! Wander the map and save the heroic Blue Kingdom from the diabolical Red Guys and their dastardly power to land statistically improbable critical hits constantly! Also new (by which I mean Very Old) to this game is that you can also play as the Red Guys and fight the Blue Guys instead sometimes! Also; there is dungeon crawling which I don't really expect to work very well in the context of Fire Emblem but, by all accounts, it does!

But, on the other hand, you can't force everyone to smooch. And nobody ever gets married after the bonding experience of giving one another really bad diarrhea.

The only other 3DS game worth commenting on is Drancia Saga, a new game from Skipmore (the Fairune/Kamiko peeps) and, instead of being Hydlide/Zelda, this one here is a single screen murd-em-up where you are tasked with confronting a vast army of Bad Guys and laying them low! And I really liked Skipmores other games, so I am definitely willing to gamble on this. Plus the number of cameo appearances from other surprisingly fun C-list eShop games is kind of encouraging.

I mean, I don't know when to expect another Gunman Clive game, might as well pretend this is one!

And the WiiU got some stuff too! Retail stuff, somehow! In a weird sense of cosmic irony, what is likely the last retail WiiU release is the predecessor to one of the first WiiU retail games; Darksiders: Warmastered, which takes the original (mostly very good) Zelda-style murd-em-up and gives it a fancy face lift and any DLC that may have been released with it.

Did Darksiders have any DLC? I know the sequel did...

Anyway, it was pretty fun back in 2009 or so and is probably still fun in 2017. I still have the PS4 port in its shrink-wrap. Gotta get to that some day.

And also the WiiU got another TG16VC release; and it's one of the Secret Best games on the system! Probably not the one you were hoping for though. Sorry to get your hopes up. But Blazing Lasers is still pretty good! You fly a spaceship, no less then the USS Shmup-em-up, on an intergalactic adventure to shoot All The Robots.

In Japan, it was called "Gunhed" and, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you which title is superior.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Outraged!

Your description of a rollercoaster schmup made me remember the minigame in FFVII and now the gold saucer theme is stuck in my head. Thanks, buddy.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Your description of a rollercoaster schmup made me remember the minigame in FFVII and now the gold saucer theme is stuck in my head. Thanks, buddy.
You're welcome!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Lucky In Love

Thumper is best in VR, but you can play it on a TV too. It feels really tiny and remote that way, but it's still a pretty cool rhythm game.

Tags
chortle at jokers boner , digital downloads , octo doesn't do research