The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-10-2015, 02:19 AM
Disco time!

Woohoo!

... I really should finish watching season one. I like this show, but it requires a lot more attention than most of my random video watching.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:21 AM
Out Of Warranty

I just finished this (what? Netflix opened in this country just two weeks ago!) and it was much better than I expected. I watched this because it is a JMS series but the guy's first seasons are always lacking, so either he finally managed to hit the ground running or this is the first time a network hasn't interfered with his vision or maybe the Wachowski's influence kept his scripts more focused. Or a bit of the three.

Anyway, I really liked it. I am amazed at how much chemistry all the protagonist have with each other. And as somebody who has spent the last five years immersed on Miguel Ángel Silvestre's awful TV soap opera acting, I'm amazed that he has acting chops. BTW, Mexican soap opera plots filmed with the Wachowski's style and budget? Best. Thing. Ever.

The one thing I really liked is how each sensate's life is stuck in one genre - Lito's life is a soap opera, Kala is trapped in Bollywood, Wolfgang lives in a gangster movie - and how sparks fly when these genres intersect. And the Mission: Impossible vibe whenever these guys start working together. And Doona Bae, good lord, Doona Bae. And Frank N' Furter The Beast Mr Whispers is one of the most chilling villains ever - that moment in the elevator when you see him appear in frame...

Yes, I like this series.

So, predictions for later seasons. If this follows JMS style (and since he has declared they have a five season story planned and half the characters have daddy/mommy issues, it fits his MO to a tee so far), Whispers and their shadow organization are not the big bad, but something that has gone in the background will turn out to be more important than we had figured out so far. My guess is that Jonas and the psycellium will be very important, and I wouldn't be the least susprised if a sensate civil war of sorts took place by the end with Jonas as a Magneto figure.

But as far as season 2 goes, I look forward to the eight actors being in the same room at the same time. I imagine a good deal of logistics will go into making sure Will stays unaware of his location as long as possible. And I guess the cluster will start traveling physically to help each other - I look forward to Sun kicking his brother's butt while being inside another body - her story is the only one who is really in need of some kind of resolution. And maaybe Kala will grow a spine.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

A little over halfway through this. The Wachowskis have no sense of restraint and I love it.

Are the Matrix sequels better if you watch them from the perspective of "by the makers of Cloud Atlus, Jupiter Ascending, and Sense8" instead of "by the makers of The Matrix"? I didn't care for them as a teenager who thought they were overbloated and lame relative to the more easily digestible first movie, but now I love that the Wachowskis make things that are messy and wear their heart on their sleeve.

Maybe the current me who likes Cloud Atlus, Jupiter Ascending, and Sense8 would also enjoy the Matrix sequels?

Hmmm.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Episode 10 was such a hilarious/wonderful encapsulation of Wachowski excess.

*A fight that could have ended with a gun, but instead they demanded a mother fucking rocket launcher.
*Lito's telenovela reality distortion field effect seeping into real life, in both action scenes and dialogue.
*A scene that have been an anodyne montage of births, but instead they need to film a live birth to show real baby heads popping out of real vaginas.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:45 PM
We just don't know.

Just finished this last night, and I really liked it. I enjoyed most of the characters, some more than others, and obviously some arcs were more fleshed out and well-rounded than others. I got really invested in Lito's cheesy soap opera drama and the Will & Riley romance by the end. And while I'm as cishetwhite as they come, I really liked having such diversity of character, and how it intersected. Even stuff like the big orgy (mostly men, and one of the women being trans) was great - It was obviously not my sexual wheelhouse but was still a) really hot and b) such a fun, cool moment of the show, like the various action scenes where they help each other out. I really love the way they take this sensate concept and go crazy with it, answering as many what-ifs as they seem to have come up with.

The ending felt really abrupt and left so many things hanging, but most of them were at pretty decent midpoints. I'm glad there'll be more of this.

Nomi: The first couple episodes, Nomi felt a little flat because they spent so much time establishing her as a human being that they couldn't develop her character, if that makes sense. Most of her screentime was spent doing establishing footwork that a cis character wouldn't need. In another show, or even another character in this show, it's just "here is this person (man) and their girlfriend," and the audience goes "yes of course." Whereas in this show we need a lot of screentime to give the basics for the audience. So we get a few cheesy/fluffy moments early on of Nomi and Neets basically just being happy and in love together and nothing really else happens. I'm not saying this is bad, or that they shouldn't have! I'm glad they did! Overall, they did good work, and in the end Nomi had excellent character work. It's more a sociological observation of the way they took care to present and frame things that are taken for granted with cishet characters. Anyway, end of season she's in an interesting situation, obviously she's still on the run, but from the same people as Will and Riley (and everyone but especially them), who are now Elsewhere; but she basically fell into the "tech support" role for the cluster. I wonder if she'll leave to physically join the others soon, since she's already in hiding and presumably not safe.

Capheus: Lots of questions still up in the air. Is he safe now? Is he out from Kabala's thumb (he does owe him his life now)? I really liked him and his story, but it felt he got a bit of short shrift, especially with the resolution.

Sun: Good season-end midpoint for her story. Still stuck in jail, and the brother went full villain. I have to wonder though how much they'll be able to fix by her just recanting her confession and pointing them down the real money trails. But now that he's got full control on the outside, hmm. Overall though she felt a bit flat for me; the whole "asian = stoic badass martial arts expert" thing rankled a bit, and her performance felt a bit stilted. Made me wish they had just shot all of the Korea stuff in Korean.

Lito: They got so close to a resolution but left the pictures up in the air. I guess they couldn't completely wrap things up, but I was hoping he'd go full bore and like make a public announcement or something. Overall, one of the most fun and interesting characters in the show; might just be my favorite.

Wolfgang:He's got the biggest resolution, but who knows what comes next. Does he take over as crime boss with his family out of the way?It would certainly be interesting for one of our "protagonists" to be, y'know, a villain. And with his late-game character revelations, i.e. he's not a safe-cracker with a heart of gold, but a stone-cold murderer, they could definitely do that. At least to let him have a redemption arc with Kala. He felt a little flat too, but I guess that has more to do with where they were taking him by the end.

Kala: BREAK IT OFF ALREADY, GOD. I really like her character, but the whole bit where she wants to break it off, and the dad comes and says break it off which she should be like, OH PHEW I'M SAVED, but then of course things get complicated. I do like that Rajan really does love her and isn't a Secret Asshole like often happens. I didn't like Wolfgang's final line, "That's why you have to marry Rajan." Like, yeah, Wolfgang's a monster, but there's, like a third option, where she just, y'know, doesn't get with either of them? Her plot was the simplest and perhaps the most frustrating, but I liked her as a character and wanted to see more.

Riley: I just found it kinda weird that after going to such pains for an international cast and crew, they hired a British actress to play Icelandic. Like, they couldn't find an actress from Iceland? Oh well, I'm in love with Tuppence Middleton now so I guess it worked out. All her reservations made her a bit slow to watch early on, but I was kinda taken with the instant love between her and Will because the sensate thing makes it such a strange and interesting twist on a basic conceit. And her tragic past was a bit heavy-handed, but I guess it worked out. Now she's tied to Will and his plot for the immediate future.

Will: his being exposed/infected/compromised by Whispers will be the driving conflict for season 2, since he's a liability now. They also took pains to cut his ties and make that his big stuff: suspended from the force, physically left his home, etc. Should be interesting to see where they take him. Also he's tied to Jonas: good guy, bad guy? What side is he on, who's he helping? Interesting stuff.

I liked it! I want more!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Out Of Warranty

This isn't what I expected.

A Sense8 Christmas Special will stream on December 23, followed by a 10 episode season on May 5 2017.

I wonder if Mr Whisper's heart will grow three sizes that day.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Out Of Warranty

Well, I liked it! But with reservations. It felt a bit disjointed, more videoclippy - either because they wanted to speed up the timeframe to get to Christmas or maybe because this is what happens to Lana Wachowski when her sister is not there. I also feel like it lacked punch, killing all the momentum from the season finale and giving us very little in exchange.

That said, I'm still aboard for a full season, which hopefully will fix both of these things. And the stories are still what I expected - Lito is still living a soap opera, Kala is in a Bollywood romantic comedy, Wolfgang in an european gangster drama... So while some stuff in Kala's storyline feels silly, it is supposed to be silly, so no complains there.

Just two notes.

1) Hernan is my hero. The way he turned the lecture at the very beginning? As a teacher, that was the equivalent of watching an action scene. Cool stuff.

2) I don't know who is their mexican culture advisor, but they are doing a good job. The headline of "Puñalito" is exactly what I'd expect in a mexican newspaper.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:44 PM
I. Love. It.

Welp I had an entire post written about the first three episodes of Season 2 (there's a Season 2 now) but then it got ate when I backed out of editing the preview thinking I had already posted it because I am dumb.

So, short version of said post, Season 2 is great so far! The Christmas special is a bit disjointed as PB says and not a lot happens on the large scale, but the individual moments are great. The gag where we see Capheus's new actor made me groan. "Say, you look different." That thing was lame when Fresh Prince did it when they replaced Aunt Viv.

Episode 2 has the plot hit the ground running, lots of movement, things feel hopeless for a bit but then everything turns around in that last, satisfying scene. Whispers got rekt.

Episode 3 continues with mostly great things, Whispers is taken out (???) and Sun escapes from jail, and mostly everything is comin' up Cluster buuuuuuuuuuuut then the other shoe drops, hard. Whispers was playing the long game, it was the Sensates who got rekt!

Really I'm just glad to see these characters again and the crazy scenarios, big and small, the show puts together to get them to all interact and use their talents to help each other, or just offer advice. It's fun.

All that matters is that Lito is still awesome, Sun still kicks ass, and Nomie is still The Best. And the others do their thing when they need to. (seriously, how many times can they contrive a situation where one of the others needs to drive a bus just so that Capheus can do a thing?)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
seriously, how many times can they contrive a situation where one of the others needs to drive a bus just so that Capheus can do a thing?
I'm not sure if I mean this as a criticism of the show, or as a just a dumb and reductive easy joke, or maybe as both at the same time (well, it's the The Wachowskis, so probably both at the same time), but when you put it that way, it's maybe not so great that Capheus is the chauffeur of the hive mind.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM
I. Love. It.

And season 2 done. Overall it was pretty good, with some nice escalation of the stakes. While there was nothing that really grabbed me in the 'I have to watch the next episode RIGHT NOW' way like Nomi's predicament in the hospital in season 1 did, I'd say it had a pretty consistent quality throughout, with a couple of sticking points here and there.

That last episode, though, the last 10 minutes feel super rushed. It feels like the season needed one extra episode, or for the finale to be twice as long because the cluster basically executes a ridonkulously complex plan (with no on-screen planning) and the entire time I was left wondering just how they did ANY of it.

Seriously, it could have easily been expanded into one more episode. How on earth did they A) Find the location of BPO's lab B) Infiltrate it without being detected and C) Manage to extract both Whispers AND Jonas... but not Wolfgang? Sure, saving Wolfgang is the big hook for the start of Season 3, but he was there, wasn't he? In the same place they extracted Whispers from? It probably would have been easier to get Wolfgang out than Whispers, right?

Those last 10 minutes did have some damn satisfying moments (The look on Whispers' face when he realizes Will is actually there, followed by Will beating the everloving crap out of him, not to mention the entire cluster is actually together, sans Wolfgang) but it was hella confusing too. And it's probably going to be another two years until Season 3, dangit!

Good watchin' though. It didn't suffer from a middling or bad second season like some other Netflix shows.

Oh and one other thing that bugged me from like the third-last episode, in Nomi's arc, how on earth did that douchebag agent NOT realize that Nomi's warrant was gone until right before he was about to arrest her? We see Nomi erase her identity episodes before this and she's no longer in hiding, agent douche would have had plenty of opportunity to confront her before the wedding, but he waits until then all without realizing there's no warrant? In the entire space of time between Nomi erasing all record of her and the wedding this guy didn't once, not once, look up ANY official documentation on Nomi, or even a casual web search? The fact that any trace of her was totally gone escaped the notice of a federal agent who was specifically hunting her down? Really?

It belies belief, in this show about evolved humans and psychic love orgies.

Tags
netflix , sense8 , wachowski