The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Aw, Hank was growing on me by the end of the season. He'd outstripped his rather pathetic introduction.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 AM
This Guy

I liked Hank better when he was Ray. He's fine, but if we need to drop one member of the crew for Cold, he's the one that needs to go.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:37 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I liked Hank better when he was Ray. He's fine, but if we need to drop one member of the crew for Cold, he's the one that needs to go.
Ray needs a geeky buddy to bounce off of (and argue Star Wars vs Indiana Jones with), though.

He really doesn't have much of a place on the team outside of the actual character interactions, that I'll grant. "Turning to steel" is a fairly useless power to begin with, and the fact that it's probably a drain on the CGI budget makes it worse. They should've gone with the augmented skeleton power set of the WWII version of the character.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I thought Supergirl had one of its strongest episodes of the season. I was going to say crossovers excluded, but the crossovers happened mostly on the other three shows. It did a good job of at least attempting to tie all of this season's plots together into something resembling one story, even the obviously abandoned one about Madame Alien President. It had a lot of good action, the much desired return of Cat Grant, and a solid cliffhanger. As long as the finale can bring this home I'll be very satisfied with this season. It didn't take a Legends size leap from S1 to S2, but it started as a better show so it had less space to improve.
Continuing the theme of "abandoned plots come back to life", the White Martians as the cavalry was an... interesting... twist.

I did like the soft intro of Zod, even though it's almost a Smallville type of move where you're supposed to just fill in the character with what you know from prior incarnations rather than his appearance being seeded (unless it was during S1 and I've just blocked it out as a side effect of pretending all those terrible CatCo plots never happened.)

Overall, I think it was a successful season, but more because they did good character work than telling an overall good story.

And still no Lex. They have to get to him eventually...
Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm quite sure they gave away the ending via the guest star listing at the start.

Edit: yup. This whole thing is more Mark Waidish than they normally get.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Space Prez

"No, you beat me, and I was at full strength!" is the most magnificent nerd baiting I have ever witnessed.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I stick by my point that they tried to write this season more as a Waid Flash story* than the Johns ones they used for the first couple of years, but when Waid was writing those stories he (a) relied on years and years of perfectly set up continuity and (b) Mark Waid is quite literally the only man on the planet who could make some of that bullshit** work in the first place, never mind adapting it for television.

I'd be all in for Wally as Flash for a while, but I think it's a season too early for that. I just hope they've finally got all the speedster villain / time travel out of their system for a while, but in a world where Flash's finishing move in Injustice 2 sees him ramming his opponent into a T-Rex, I think that the show's baked time travel into the character.

* - The scarred Barry is very reminiscent of the "Walter West" / Dark Flash arc from #150ish

** - Said with the love of a man who's bought those stories at least three times.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
"No, you beat me, and I was at full strength!" is the most magnificent nerd baiting I have ever witnessed.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:04 AM

Just like the whole of S3, the Flash finale was bad. And it ended on such a limp cliffhanger. Does anyone truly expect that Barry will actually be stuck in speed-jail for longer than 2 episodes next season? Also, is this now the second time in three tries that the show ends on big cataclysm in the sky? Is the big 'crisis' the show has hyped up since the beginning of S1 really just this lame speed-jail being sad it has no occupants?
Eww.

Just like the whole of S5, the Arrow finale was awkward but well meaning and generally an improvement upon the previous seasons. And it had a pretty darn good ending/hook. I just hope Deathstroke sticks around in S6, because he and S2 was the apex of the show thus far. Also, glad the flashbacks can end now. It's painfully clear the show had no idea how to use them the past two seasons. Hopefully S6 can pull out a villain that's at least halfway as charismatic and interesting as Slade and Merlin, instead of the soggy biscuits that were the last three season's main antagonists.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I thought Arrow was interesting in the sense that they were clearly trying to tell a longform version of The Dark Knight, with Chase as Joker (and Ollie as Batman, but that goes without saying). They didn't pull it off, but overall they succeeded in telling a smaller story than they had in past years. The whole return to the island aspect was unnecessary, but they obviously had that ending sequence with the contrasts with the pilot in mind for quite a while.

They overplayed their hand on the cliffhanger, however. The show is obviously not going to kill off the ENTIRE cast - a better approach would've been to scatter everyone, set off one bomb, and end the year with the knowledge that someone might die, but you don't know who.

(Plus, that sort of thing usually helps with salary negotiations between seasons.)

Anyway, I presume that the escape valve will be quite simple: everyone just piled into the Argus prison.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 AM

Ya I agree about your analysis of Arrow's ending, but it was still fun. The episode, and season as a whole, really felt like it was written in a way that they were unsure about the show's future at some point and they wanted to make sure that this could be the ending of Arrow if it wouldn't get renewed. If Season 6 starts out really bad, I might just pretend the show ended at Season 5 and that Ollie got all his friends killed as my headcanon.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I also thought it was interesting that they (supposedly) killed Boomerang and Malcolm. Malcolm, of course, probably has an alternate version out there somewhere running around due to Legends, but Boomerang hasn't even showed up on Flash yet! I assume that's another "we probably won't be able to get (actor X) again so might as well end his story." Which, I feel, is a mistake - they probably thought they wouldn't get Slade back after all the supposed bad feelings with Manu Bennett, but they worked that out.

(Boomerang's son would be an interesting addition to the Arrow ensemble if they want to go that way, although I don't think he was ever portrayed as old enough to have one.)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:24 AM
so exciting!

I'm watching Supergirl and I definitely did not expect J'onn to show up as a supporting character
Old 07-01-2017, 06:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
I'm watching Supergirl and I definitely did not expect J'onn to show up as a supporting character
Especially considering how they well they were foreshadowing his status as a villain
Old 07-01-2017, 07:47 AM
so exciting!

Default The joke is it is a different Supergirl

Personally I'm excited to see the Supernatural crossover where Buzz shows up.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So I finally powered my way through the end of Flash Season 3 this weekend. I'm sure I'll have shit to say about BAD FLASH and all that dumbness but there's one piece of dumbness that just sort of outweighs everything else at the moment.

What the FUCK was the logic behind Dr. Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost.

Like, at any point did they even TRY to justify what was happening there? Did they seriously expect us to just accept that her getting super powers inevitably resulted in I AM SUDDENLY EVIL NOW! Nobody else was turned SUDDENLY EVIL by getting super powers! Super powers just allow you to better act on whatever jackass thing you wanna do if you're already a jackass!

And then they had that scene were she was like I'M WORKING WITH YOU BUT I'M STILL EVIL and they're all like "So hey remember when you were good" and she's like YES AND I'M SAD ABOUT IT BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE I'M EVIL NOW! But nobody says "Well okay WHY are you evil?" because the only possible response she could make would be "I JUST AM OKAY!!!"

I have never seen a more pointless change in character aliment in my life. What the fuck were they thinking?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Find Your Reason

"Oh no! My Earth-2 counterpart has superpowers!"

"Oh no! My Earth-2 counterpart is evil!"

"Therefore, the only logical conclusion I can draw is that superpowers would make me evil!"

"Oh no! I have superpowers now!"

"Oh no! I don't want to be evil, but I have to be evil because my Earth-2 counterpart had superpowers and she was evil!"

"Woe is me, I hate being evil and I don't want to be evil but that's the only thing I can be now that I have superpowers! I wish I could be good again!"
Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM
This Guy

I don't get it either. It's like they wanted to use the comics take on the character with her needing to absorb heat from people to survive, so she has to kill people, but they changed their minds too late to come up with another reason for the character to become evil.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM

There is literally a DC hero who's described as a lady with ice powers. Her name is ICE because comic books and when snow inevitably comes back halfway through next season I'm thinking I already know what her hero name is gonna be.

It's just like.

Couldn't we have just skipped ahead to that? Just dropped the whole needless IM EVIL NOW BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW bit?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:02 PM

The thing I think is funny, is that early in the season they built in a good excuse to make her evil, as a side effect of flashpoint. Because Draco Malfoy was giving people their flashpoint super powers, which also gave them their flashpoint memories as well. So she could have been wrestling with her flashpoint memories as an evil-Caitlyn.

Instead she just has a crisis of self-confidence and some vague notions about her cold powers making her heart icy. Also, something something she's had a hard life (lots of dead boyfriends). And of course, the ever great, "I've come too far....!" rationale for staying a bad guy.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:43 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

They pretty clearly went through a serious mid-season rewrite. Tom Felton's character was probably supposed to turn evil, but I suspect they liked him too much to do so. That meant Caitlin had to go evil to give Savitar someone to talk to, but they didn't have a reason for her to do so.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM

I actually had to Google Tom Felton, and I was like oh shit Barry's asshole Co-Worker who became Barry's asshole BFF was Draco Malfoy!

I honestly didn't know that until 20 seconds ago.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I actually had to Google Tom Felton, and I was like oh shit Barry's asshole Co-Worker who became Barry's asshole BFF was Draco Malfoy!

I honestly didn't know that until 20 seconds ago.
He was Dr. Alchemy. Get it? Because magic.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Casting him as the bad guy who uses the Philosopher's Stone was inspired.

Still hoping that when he turns evil again, he becomes Dr. Element.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM
so exciting!

not only did i not see the martian manhunter coming, i also got blind-sided by the silver banshee
Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

Don't know if Lucifer counts for this thread, it is only technically a DC-based show, but the second season just showed up on CraveTV in Canada and, man, the show doesn't want to fix what ain't broke and I am okay with that.

The main villain this time appears to be Gods Ex-Wife, and when I learned that I gave my TV a chefs-kiss.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 PM

This weekend I shotgunned through the end of ARROW S5.

Oi.

Ho lee mother of fucker.

That was a thing.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Started watching season 3 of The Flash, and, at first I audibly groaned when it looked like the main villain was yet another Evil Fast Guy (this time in a very stupid costume).

Then I rejoiced when Main Villain status was given to Plague Knight, from Shovel Knight.

And then, all of a sudden, yet another Evil Fast Guy with a spooky reverb. This time looking like a Micheal Bay Transformer.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:47 PM

So I finally charged through the end of SUPERGIRL SEASON 2.

I only yelled at my TV a few times! That's almost a marked improvement!

Almost.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 PM
This Guy

Two episodes into the season, I am glad the Flash it's back to spending 3/4 of the episode thinking up stupid new plans before settling on the brilliant new strategy of "run fast."

Tags
bad thread titles , i don't get it , nobody gets it