The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
The show's "cop out" endings IMO are Bart learning French by eating magic taffy, and Santa's Little Helper abruptly being able to respond to Bart's commands (though the idea there might be that Bart's moment of emotional vulnerability is what finally gets through to SLH).
Very early Simpsons feel strongly based in the idea of connecting through emotions, were everything else fails. Santas Little Helper is a good example here - he is way too dumb to be taught anything, but he can still connect with Bart on an emotional level.

Other episodes that show this are "Bart the Daredevil" (where he wants to jump the Springfield Gorge), where Homer only gets through to Bart by fully opening himself, or "Bart gets an F" (where he nearly fails school) where Mrs. Krabapple only helps Bart after they connect emotionally. In France, Bart can only get help after he is honest to himself about his emotions. And Homers relationship problems with Marge vanish instantly in "A Streetcar named Marge", when he shows that he cares.

So that ending seems to me less like a copout and more like it wants to resonate with a specific theme. This doesn't mean it really solves anything - Homer is still a shitty husband most of the time and Bart is still a bad and lazy student. An example for where the show acknowledges this is the episode where Milhouse isn't allowed to spend time with Bart anymore. Bart is the one who has the problem here, and it is solved when Milhouses mother connects emotionally with her son. But it only solves Barts problem, for Milhouse it might have been better to find other friends who don't make that much trouble. This is more complicated, of course, my point is that these emotional solutions work only for immediate problems, but don't change the underlying bigger ones.

This hasn't that much to do with the rest that was discussed, but the thought of emotions > hard work/intellect came to me after reading the quoted post, and this post resulted out of it. Maybe I'm completely off, but it was interesting thinking about it.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 AM
Video World 14 is out!

That's one of my favourite endings. "From this day forward, I vow to live life to its fullest!" then instant desolation. Brilliant and bleak in the way the show routinely absolutely nailed.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, much as I would have liked to have seen the aftermath, there is no possible better ending for that episode.

Also, I don't recall my dad ever laughing harder at the show than he did at the line "Jokes on him! I'll be dead then!"
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 AM
Video World 14 is out!

OH OVER THERE

OH OVER THERE
Old 04-17-2017, 11:35 AM
BAG

To be fair, Homer had a very busy day yesterday. Let the man take some time off!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Safe Space

Default this moment never fails to make me laugh

Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
The show's "cop out" endings
Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Gesundheit!

Today is the 30th anniversary of the first Tracey Ullman short.

I just barely remember seeing those on TV. I have been aware of the Simpsons for my entire conscious life.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Yesterday I watched the last episode of Season 2. I'm sure I already said this one or two times in this thread, but S2 is already so good and funny that I find it incredible that it gets better. So good.

One thing I really like is Ned Flanders as he is in the episode where Bart and Tod play minigolf against each other. It's fun to see how he actually gets angry when Homer is a jerk, instead of just taking it while saying nonsense words (which is also fun, of course). Especially with the way he actually takes it when he sort-of loses.

I'm also curious to see how Maude changes over the course of the series. In my memory she is not the perfect person, like Ned is, but actually not as inviting as her husband. I'm not even sure if I remember her correctly, but I'll see. At least in season 2 she IS super nice when she appears.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
One thing I really like is Ned Flanders as he is in the episode where Bart and Tod play minigolf against each other. It's fun to see how he actually gets angry when Homer is a jerk, instead of just taking it while saying nonsense words (which is also fun, of course). Especially with the way he actually takes it when he sort-of loses.
I still think Bart has the right answer about one hand clapping. Mystery solved, philosophy dorks.

The first Treehouse of Horror has some great jokes too, including this one.

I swear, I've had this conversation more times than I care to admit.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Safe Space

Wow, I don't remember that gag at all. It must have been cut from syndication.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Wow, I don't remember that gag at all. It must have been cut from syndication.
It sadly was. A lot of really solid gags were.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:24 AM
Mystery Contraption

Sometimes they left in the set-up but cut the punchline. That was always fun.

I just rewatched Principal and the Pauper. That one is dense with great gags (spit water over the screen a couple of times) and yet it's poo-poo'd so much for its story. Which, especially given the ending, feels like missing the point.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:02 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Up yours, children.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

"Remember, you have to respect him. He's a war hero."
<beat>
"Ha ha!"
Old 05-18-2017, 06:16 AM
Safe Space

I recently learned that a person I knew from school wrote a poem about Ralph Wiggum.

Like in a literary journal.

Here.

Last edited by Büge; 05-18-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: that's unpossible
Old 05-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Spear of Justice

Found seasons one and four at my local Target for ten bucks a pop! I'm excited to finally start a Simpsons collection, but man is the packaging chintzy on these re-released DVD box sets.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:03 PM

I'm gonna cross post this in the baseball thread, but: Homer Simpson is now in the MLB Hall of Fame.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:21 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Found seasons one and four at my local Target for ten bucks a pop! I'm excited to finally start a Simpsons collection, but man is the packaging chintzy on these re-released DVD box sets.
Do the rereleases of the first seasons still have the horrible menus where every time you click something you have to wait 20 seconds for a couch gag?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Do the rereleases of the first seasons still have the horrible menus where every time you click something you have to wait 20 seconds for a couch gag?
Season 2 has a bunch of really good episodes that I haven't seen in years because the DVD menus are just that bad.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Season 2 has a bunch of really good episodes that I haven't seen in years because the DVD menus are just that bad.
The first season doesn't have them, but season 4 has those dumbass ten-second menu transitions with various Simpsons characters which make navigation take forever. Oh, and the new packaging on the rereleased seasons sucks because the only way to get the DVDs out is to open one of the two cardboard flaps on the sides of the outer box. The inner sleeve no longer just slides out like in the original DVD releases.

It's great having Simpsons on disc but holy shit does it deserve better treatment than this.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Is there a website that has all the references ordered by episode? I just watched Last Exit to Springfield (which was as great as I remembered it to be), and it felt like it consisted mainly of references I don't get. But also in other episodes there are so often things that are clearly references, and I can't place them. All I found online were some lists of the best ones. The audio commentaries feel like they don't go deep enough.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:28 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Yes. https://www.simpsonsarchive.com/episodes.html

Or you could try the wiki: http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Simpsons_Wiki

(Everything has a wiki nowadays.)

edit:
Actually, the wiki looks to not have any references. You're dropping the ball, OCD fan-types who write wikia wikis!

Felix - you could also try going to the Usenet group alt.nerd.obsessive.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

The Talking Simpsons podcast covered that one and they usually go into horrifyingly obsessive detail over every reference.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 AM
#deadfish2017

This last episode for Deep Space Homer they read the wikipedia description of "statistician" and I was like can we not, for once?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

My favourite example of *gestures* all that, was in Lisa's First Word, where Henry seems genuinely indignant that the headline from the newspaper the day Lisa was born couldn't possibly have coincided with the episodes B plot about the Olympics.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:00 AM
#deadfish2017

This week he gets upset about the impossibility of James Taylor making a vacuum outside his house to blow out the ants but that. Is. The. JOKE.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
That site is really interesting, thanks.

Also, I forgot Talking Simpsons, I think I stopped listening to it over a year ago for no reason. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

You're welcome, Felix.

Quote:
The Talking Simpsons podcast covered that one and they usually go into horrifyingly obsessive detail over every reference.
I had forgotten that such a thing existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
This last episode for Deep Space Homer they read the wikipedia description of "statistician" and I was like can we not, for once?
Quote:
My favourite example of *gestures* all that, was in Lisa's First Word, where Henry seems genuinely indignant that the headline from the newspaper the day Lisa was born couldn't possibly have coincided with the episodes B plot about the Olympics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
This week he gets upset about the impossibility of James Taylor making a vacuum outside his house to blow out the ants but that. Is. The. JOKE.
But based on what I have heard about it I don't think I would enjoy listening to it.

Tags
annoyed grunt , b'oh! , boo-urns , dental plan , diddly , five dollars? , get outta here , ha-ha , hail ants , homre is dead , i call the big one bitey , iron helps us play , lisa needs braces , monorail , secret lover , shut up flanders , sideshow mel , simpsons , stupid sexy flanders , super nintendo chalmers , the best thing , worker and parasite