The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

I haven't checked - Netsuzuo Trap isn't this season is it

Ah. July. Doesn't matter though, story is kind of terrible
Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Well, besides the obvious issue of shotacon pandering. If the situation was reversed, where a male adult/borderline adult character had a romance with a prepubescent girl... I liked that show, but that never stopped being uncomfortable for me. Meanwhile, Snow White with the Red Hair is essentially the same show but prettier, better executed, and zero problematic issues.
How old is Livius supposed to be, anyway? I know Nike's supposed to be in her late teens, but based on presentation Livius could have been anywhere between 10 and 14. I tended to read him as towards the upper end of that range, based on how he acted and other characters treated him, which gives a 3-5 year age gap.

And while there was definitely some shotacon elements to it, it was overall tastefully handled. Nike and Livius repeatedly remind us that he has a lot of growing up to do.

Also, older woman / younger man relationships and older man / younger woman relationships aren't equally problematic, or problematic in the same ways. It's rare to see an older woman / younger man relationship that isn't played for laughs, so it was kind of refreshing to see one taken seriously.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
How old is Livius supposed to be, anyway? I know Nike's supposed to be in her late teens, but based on presentation Livius could have been anywhere between 10 and 14. I tended to read him as towards the upper end of that range, based on how he acted and other characters treated him, which gives a 3-5 year age gap.

And while there was definitely some shotacon elements to it, it was overall tastefully handled. Nike and Livius repeatedly remind us that he has a lot of growing up to do.

Also, older woman / younger man relationships and older man / younger woman relationships aren't equally problematic, or problematic in the same ways. It's rare to see an older woman / younger man relationship that isn't played for laughs, so it was kind of refreshing to see one taken seriously.
According to <random wiki> Livius is 12, which is definitely within the strict definition of pedophile range here. The 'love' here seems strictly platonic most of the time, and yes it also seems like they're gonna wait for all involved parties to grow up a little, but at other times the show is very poignantly shouting at the audience "Yo! Check out this hot shota-butt!" like it's prominently featured in the show's ED and at other times when the character is placed in compromising positions. And Nike being this maturing, calming influence for Livius is also beyond problematic for me. Again, imagine if the genders here were swapped. It would look an awful lot like mate grooming, no? It just seems pretty hypocritical to be like "no, this is OK" over here simply because the inappropriately older character is a girl, not a guy this time.

And all of that doesn't begin to touch on the at times problematic issue of Nike's position in this show, where her agency as a person is routinely undermined. At times, her 'love story' more resembled Stockholm Syndrome than anything else, given how she's frequently made to do things and be places against her will, and more often resembles a political hostage than a betrothed.

Meanwhile I brought up Snow White With Red Hair earlier, because it distinctly lacks all of those problems. Shirayuki has full agency over herself, the Prince never once forces her to do anything she doesn't want and is keenly respectful of her desires and agency, and rather than being allowed to be whisked away and 'saved' by the Prince, Shirayuki insists on attaining a position of notoriety on her own through her own skills and hard work so she can court the prince on more equal terms.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 05-11-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Inherently Stealthy

EDIT: Never mind. You clearly have a problem with me having liked this show, so I don't feel comfortable discussing it any further here.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I'll amend that even more. I'm sorry for bringing it up and for making you uncomfortable. My bad.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Never mind. You clearly have a problem with me having liked this show, so I don't feel comfortable discussing it any further here.
I don't have a problem with you liking the show; if you'll recall I said I ultimately enjoyed it too. It's just I found it had some problematic issues that I could compartmentalize enough to enjoy the show, but couldn't completely ignore, and I think it's fully worth discussing those issues. There's no need to apologize, and you weren't stepping on my feelings or anything. And sorry if I was coming across as pushy or touchy, I was actually trying to be dispassionate about the whole thing but I guess I failed. Ultimately though, I thought it was important to address those demerits of the show as a contrast, because that could end up being a big issue for other prospective watchers and they ought to know full well what they're getting into.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM
misutadonatsu-tan

I finally got around to watching your name. That sure was a Makoto Shinkai movie, and he tends to have polarizing effect on viewers, so if you've seen his stuff you know what to expect. That said it was definitely the most well written story by him to date and shows a lot of growth as a creator for him so even people who may've hated his output in the past might still come out liking this movie a lot. That said it is also the most cliched movie he's done to date so people who love his style might hate that he's ditched his unrequited love, first love, falling out of love stories and swapped it out with a traditional happy ending.

The love story was the weakest part and yeah it would've been better to focus on [spoiler]saving the villagers[/spoilers] and soaked up some of the mushy screentime with more scenes of the supporting cast because frankly Taki and Mitsuha's school age friends were more fun and entertaining than either of those two. I did cry during the big climatic scene of the movie but that was more due to me being afraid everyone was gonna die rather than sadness over the fact Taki had written "I love you" instead of his name on Mitsuha's arm. Would've been more useful if he'd imparted some useful knowledge or message instead!

(meta stuff about Shinkai's work that could vaguely spoil the movie)This movie did feel like a greatest hits version of all of Shinkai's previous films. All his trademark motifs (beautifully animated/painted skies/cosmos, rickety aging trains, birds in flight zooming in on their eyes in slow motion, rain/snow fall, etc.) and a lot of old story elements popped up too. It felt like a lot of seeds of a good story from his previous work that I felt could've turned into a whole story in the hands of a much more experience story teller finally bore fruit. 5 cm per second and Children who Chase Lost Voices were I think the biggest influences he drew on in this movie. Children (AKA bad Ghibli fan fiction) was the only previous film of his I thought was outright terrible but he was actually able to take the story elements from there and actually use them to tell a much better story and the third act of 5 cm had always been a huge letdown following a superb first and second act and in a lot of ways this was the satisfaction I was hoping the third act would bring only turned into something much better than that imagined third act.

(spoiler contains discussion the movie's underlying theme that will give away a huge chunk of the movie but some of it is stuff unrelated to the movie) I definitely believe the movie was inspired greatly by the 2011 Touhouku earthquake which is probably why it resonated so strongly with Japanese audiences and also why I wish it'd been more about saving the village rather than uniting two star crossed lovers. Newspaper articles like these, the visual of the town drowned in water, definitely evoke memories of the earthquake. I agree with Grignir a few pages back the lake was the previous impact site of the meteor and the underworld was an earlier impact site. The meaning of the rituals were all conveniently for story purposes lost in a huge fire a few centuries ago so even though the villagers still practiced the rituals no one knew what it was for anymore. Whether or not what the main characters did was how it was intended or if they just hit upon a solution that worked by cobbling things together makes the story a lot more fun and mysterious.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Not a Beer

Man, this season of Attack on Titan is all cliffhangers all the time. This one was so much I yelled and scared the cat.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:25 AM

I mean I could see the cliffhangar coming a mile away but god did it double my heart rate aaaaah

AoT continues to display fantastic character writing, and this episode reminded me of one of my favorite characters - Jean - who I have to admit I completely forgot about since season one.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Inherently Stealthy

We've finally crawled past the last episode of Stardust Crusaders.

That second season was awful. There were a few episodes that were fun in isolation, but taken as a whole it was a tedious slog through opponents that weren't interesting and fights that took too long. Way too many fights came down to Polnareff VS Stand of the Week, which was even worse because Polnareff has the least interesting powers and the least engaging style. The final battle with Dio was great, with a lot of clever applications of Time Stop, and was really peak "Jotaro outwits his opponents and uses their own powers against them".

To wash away the taste we immediately watched the first episode of Diamond is Unbreakable and it was fantastic.

I'd actually put Battle Tendency at the top of the JoJo heap so far. It's easily got an edge in characters, antagonists, ludicrous bullshit, and fight scripting. Practically every action scene engages with its environment in a way that's fun to watch, and the outcome is usually the result of Joseph leveraging that environment to pull off something unexpected. Stardust Crusaders S1 was almost as good, but a lot of the Stands just weren't used very well. (Ebony Devil and Judgment were especially dull) I'm sure Diamond will edge it out, but we're not far enough in yet to tell.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM

I'd put Season 2 Stardust much higher than Season 1 though neither is really top tier Jojo in any real sense. Season 1 just has a lot more really boring stands, whereas Season 2 has a ton of cool stands they're just all villain stands. Stands get more interesting when all of their powers are like villains from SC's Egypt half, half seemingly-useless, half overpowered, always weird. DiU anime is generally better from every angle, more fun, better paced, more memorable cast.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
I'd put Season 2 Stardust much higher than Season 1 though neither is really top tier Jojo in any real sense. Season 1 just has a lot more really boring stands, whereas Season 2 has a ton of cool stands they're just all villain stands. Stands get more interesting when all of their powers are like villains from SC's Egypt half, half seemingly-useless, half overpowered, always weird. DiU anime is generally better from every angle, more fun, better paced, more memorable cast.
Whether or not Season 2's stands were cooler, I can't think of any that had especially engaging episodes crafted around them. I think the D'arby episodes were the best of the season, and the Stand powers in those were basically irrelevant for anything other than setting stakes. Season 1 at least had some outstanding episodes that used dull Stand powers in interesting ways, like Empress.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
I'd actually put Battle Tendency at the top of the JoJo heap so far. It's easily got an edge in characters, antagonists, ludicrous bullshit, and fight scripting. Practically every action scene engages with its environment in a way that's fun to watch, and the outcome is usually the result of Joseph leveraging that environment to pull off something unexpected.
All true, but I just can't abide the off-model look of all the characters in the anime version of Parts 1 and 2. Everyone's got these beady eyes and isn't nearly pretty enough. After Lady got hooked on the Part 4 anime, we went back and just read the manga up to Part 3.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Whether or not Season 2's stands were cooler, I can't think of any that had especially engaging episodes crafted around them. I think the D'arby episodes were the best of the season, and the Stand powers in those were basically irrelevant for anything other than setting stakes. Season 1 at least had some outstanding episodes that used dull Stand powers in interesting ways, like Empress.
This is exactly what makes Jojo's so fucking good though. The powers are always about setting stakes and testing each characters' cleverness/skill/wits. The D'Arby brothers are the purest form of that among all of Stardust Crusaders. This is also why DiU is the best (so far??).
Old 05-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
This is exactly what makes Jojo's so fucking good though. The powers are always about setting stakes and testing each characters' cleverness/skill/wits. The D'Arby brothers are the purest form of that among all of Stardust Crusaders. This is also why DiU is the best (so far??).
What I liked about Battle Tendency was that the characters' powers were about far more than setting stakes. Joseph's powers never really change throughout the series; his fights with the Pillar Men are all about him finding more and better ways to apply them. His enemies are very much the same, with one or two tricks each that they employ in progressively more complicated ways. Wamuu only has his hurricanes, but there's at least four engaging fights built around them.

The D'Arby brothers, meanwhile, were basically straightforward competitions, with their powers mostly being "if you lose..." D'Arby the Younger had more going on, but not much more; he had one trick that was teased, revealed, countered, and then irrelevant.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

In lieu of watching anything new, I started a rewatch of Star Driver (and will follow it with Captain Earth). For a seven year old show, it has oodles more production values and art direction than most of the things I've seen since (well, it is Bones after all).
Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I started a rewatch of Star Driver (and will follow it with Captain Earth).
If you haven't seen Captain Earth before, this is inadvisable. You would have been better served watching Captain Earth first, since it's largely the same show, but Star Driver is better and more interesting in just about every way possible.

I really adored Star Driver. Captain Earth was a decent show too, but it just shouldn't have been made so soon after Star Driver, and included so many of the exact same themes/plot twists. It really watches like an unnecessary Star Driver remake, as if they thought they could improve on the formula or something, or reach a completely different audience.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, I've seen both. Star Driver just popped into my mind first is all.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Joseph's powers never really change throughout the series; his fights with the Pillar Men are all about him finding more and better ways to apply them.
This is still the case in Stardust Crusaders too, just that since there's a lot more villains, they fight a much wider variety of powers. This variety changes the stakes of every fight and pushes each character into finding ways to defeat them with their own powers. Everything gets progressively more ridiculous until you have Stands who don't really do anything except control what kind of environment and conditions the "fight" takes place in, which is a natural progression from the kinds of fights that happened in Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. Like, what did you think of the Oingo Boingo brothers? Their powers are just 1 thing and that's all they ever do, but their episodes are entertaining because of the stakes they create, and the execution of those stakes is well done and largely irrelevant to what the heroes can even do.

But, based on your tastes I think you'll really love the big villain in Diamond is Unbreakable.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Like, what did you think of the Oingo Boingo brothers? Their powers are just 1 thing and that's all they ever do, but their episodes are entertaining because of the stakes they create, and the execution of those stakes is well done and largely irrelevant to what the heroes can even do.
I wasn't fond of them. Each of those two parters would have made a fine half-episode gag fight. There was nothing about the way those episodes resolved that interacted with the gang's powers, skills, or tactics at all. Their powers weren't even used especially creatively.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
We've finally crawled past the last episode of Stardust Crusaders.

That second season was awful. There were a few episodes that were fun in isolation, but taken as a whole it was a tedious slog through opponents that weren't interesting and fights that took too long. Way too many fights came down to Polnareff VS Stand of the Week, which was even worse because Polnareff has the least interesting powers and the least engaging style. The final battle with Dio was great, with a lot of clever applications of Time Stop, and was really peak "Jotaro outwits his opponents and uses their own powers against them".

To wash away the taste we immediately watched the first episode of Diamond is Unbreakable and it was fantastic.

I'd actually put Battle Tendency at the top of the JoJo heap so far. It's easily got an edge in characters, antagonists, ludicrous bullshit, and fight scripting. Practically every action scene engages with its environment in a way that's fun to watch, and the outcome is usually the result of Joseph leveraging that environment to pull off something unexpected. Stardust Crusaders S1 was almost as good, but a lot of the Stands just weren't used very well. (Ebony Devil and Judgment were especially dull) I'm sure Diamond will edge it out, but we're not far enough in yet to tell.
Quote:
What I liked about Battle Tendency was that the characters' powers were about far more than setting stakes. Joseph's powers never really change throughout the series; his fights with the Pillar Men are all about him finding more and better ways to apply them. His enemies are very much the same, with one or two tricks each that they employ in progressively more complicated ways. Wamuu only has his hurricanes, but there's at least four engaging fights built around them.

The D'Arby brothers, meanwhile, were basically straightforward competitions, with their powers mostly being "if you lose..." D'Arby the Younger had more going on, but not much more; he had one trick that was teased, revealed, countered, and then irrelevant.

I agree with you completely. Stardust Crusaders is my personal least favorite JoJo part, and the parts I do like about it are precisely those you mentioned - D'arby and the final battle.

Part of the issue in my opinion is that Araki finally got a handle on making creative use of a power in Battle Tendency, to magnificent effect, and then Stardust is just chock full of boring and uninteresting powers.

You'll probably love part 4. And most every part after that, really. Stardust Crusaders was Araki's training phase; Everything from now is just going to slowly ramp up the creative applications of interesting powers.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Fifth Business

I actually liked Stardust Crusaders (and both its seasons were more or less even to me) more than Diamond is Unbreakable, though absolutely not in a 'I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY ANYBODY WOULD FEEL DIFFERENTLY'' way; Diamond was awesome! But first off, I do have a genuine weak spot and love for globe-trotting adventures like Stardust Crusaders. They just get me right here, you know?

Also, one of the biggest strengths and weaknesses of Jojo in general is its freewheeling, improvisational, flying-by-the-seat-of-its-pants approach to both its crazy battle choreography and also its greater overall story, where it is varying degrees of obvious that the creator is making it all up as he goes along and sometimes has either no idea, or very little idea, of where he's taking things or how something's going to pan out or resolve itself. Frequently, Araki has the talent, imagination, and goddamn panache for this to pay off huge, with tremendously satisfying BOOM moments where something unexpected happens that feels like a really resourceful and brilliant gambit, one thought up on the fly by both the character, and also the creator coming up with all this. It feels urgent and energetic and in the moment and blindsides you while still feeling like a rational development of irrational circumstances, all in a way that is uniquely Jojo.

BUT, this also means sometimes he writes himself into a corner where the resolution ISN'T satisfying or 'earned' feeling, and it can also obviously lead to all sorts of pacing problems and occasionally outright sloppy or unconvincing storytelling. Stardust Crusaders, by having a very clean, classic, iconic story (Dio is in Egypt; GO GET HIM) is able to never let this tendency hurt it too badly on a macro level because it does have that clear drive and trajectory to pin all its improvisational lunacy to and can maintain overall momentum even if the odd moment here or there stalls out or fails to deliver; and importantly, the final battle against Dio is GREAT and suitably climactic, because if it dropped the ball there then it all could have deflated. And whenever the characters or the narrative pause a moment to reflect on how far they've come and everywhere they've been and all that they've been through, and how it's all been leading to THIS, it feels suitable resonant and like, 'yeah, YEAH!'

With Diamond is Unbreakable though, there isn't an initially clear arc or purpose beyond "something is ROTTEN in this town, and the characters are trying to figure out what!...hopefully after the creator himself settles on what it should be, too", and so a few moments happen even on the overall narrative level where he just kinda seems to back himself into a corner or change gears massively as he suddenly figures out what should happen; Kira is a great villain, but his presence is never properly foreshadowed or lead into by the whole earlier arc and it all just feels like a weird calling of a MULLIGAN on the whole narrative thrust of everything up to that point, and then he almost does it again with Kira's last-minute escape after his first big fight, just resetting so much and retreating back again to 'there is somebody bad somewhere in this town but we don't know where!'. And it has plenty of moments like that where it all just feels very jolting in a start-and-stop, incohesive sort of way that kept me from ever getting as Into It as I got with Stardust Crusaders. It tries to have an investigative feel at times, but how can it when the same wild Jojo brilliance also means that their proximity to tracking down and dealing with the villain is entirely at the whim of wildly yo-yoing (Jojoing?) out-of-nowhere developments that can either pile everybody onto the same sidewalk or reset the entire investigation? It just lacked momentum or a sense of there being any sort of Plan at all. And while the cast of characters are charming as hell, and I'll even concede mostly better than The Manly Glaring Men of Stardust Crusaders (though SC Joseph is wonderful), but again, I just felt more invested in Stardust Crusaders' cast overall because they had what felt more like real arcs than Diamond's, which had some characters undergo real development, but more often in the form of 'THAT IRREDEEMABLE DOUCHEBAG IS ABRUPTLY ON THE SIDE OF ANGELS/A HARMLESS BIT OF TOWN FLAVOR NOW'...though to be fair, I do prefer that over the massive body-count wracked up by Stardust Crusaders murdering almost every one-off villain in its arsenal, and I feel like it shows a nice sense of ethical improvement that its treatment of the lesser villains gets less bloodthirsty as it goes on.

But I do feel like it sort of fakes or implies more of a character arc for its major characters than it actually delivers on. While Stardust Crusaders, huge and wild though it is, really does give a genuine, emotional, climactic scene to each of its core people, and did a better job of winning me over to initially unlikable characters (Iggy may not have ever been a villain, but Lord knows I did not anticipate ever being NEARLY so invested in him as I ended up being by the end). All that said, the flaws of Diamond don't hurt it as much for the same reason that they're more of an issue at all, ironically; it has a relatively chill 'day in the life of a small town...that just happens to be crawling with absolutely insane residents who have surreal superpowers' thing where pacing problems can feel more like a feature than a bug, and since you can realistically claim the old cliche of 'the town itself IS a character' with it, the ensemble, less focused cast is also not automatically inferior. I can absolutely understand folks preferring its ways over Stardust's.

Lastly though, while I found both chunks of Stardust to be about even, my interest in Diamond suffered a HUGE drop-off after Kira got away the first time; rather than 'oh, shit' my feeling was more 'ugh, they have to start OVER with tracking down the serial killer they just had cornered', and many of the developments that followed fell flat for me; Kira taking over the family life of somebody else was a clever idea that COULD have been really compelling and creepy, but I found both the mother and son to be too lame to ever feel invested in that whole increasingly dominant aspect of the show and just wished it got back to other characters I liked more. And I even found Kira himself to be way more boring and less morbidly colorful and engaging of a villain during all this. Furthermore, don't get me wrong, I adore the mad CONCEPT of Kira's dad helping him out as a tiny ghost man in a photograph jabbing people with a magic arrow...that is very much the sort of thing I am capable of loving...but in execution even that just felt more silly in a dumb, forced, GOTTA-DRAG-THIS-OUT-MORE way to me than silly in a 'THIS IS AMAZING' way, and there even just being Another Arrow In Town felt like another one of those times were a reveal just felt forced rather than pulled off well. And while it ended up being put to some cool use and I loved the way it intruded on the intro (even if Dio pulled that trick first towards the end of Stardust), Kira getting a magical do-over button outta nowhere was yet another time where it felt like a corner was written its way out of in the least elegant way possible. Also it gave him stupid hair, I couldn't even parse that hair he had near the end, WHAT WAS IT DOING--but the final battle against him was great, really cool fun stuff and even found a good use of tiny photo-dad. So yes.

For all these complaints that held it back for me, Diamond IS awesome! Diamond IS unbreakable! I was frequently like 'WHOAH or 'HAHA' or 'OH, SHIT', and that is the sort of state I loved being kept in by Jojo, and it delivered on that beautifully, many times. I just liked Stardust Crusaders more, even though I understand why Diamond Is Unbreakable is more often considered the connoisseur's preferred choice.

Last edited by Deptford; 05-17-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Johnny and I started watching Barakamon, and it's really charming! Just fun and relaxing, very pretty, and genuinely funny. I don't know shit about calligraphy, but that's sort of incidental to a story about a young man finding himself with the help of a precocious child. It's certainly a great (and short!) palette-cleanser after 148 episodes of shonen.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Watched A Silent Voice, loved it. Absolutely no complaint from me as big fan of the comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post

The love story was the weakest part and yeah it would've been better to focus on saving the villagers and soaked up some of the mushy screentime with more scenes of the supporting cast because frankly Taki and Mitsuha's school age friends were more fun and entertaining than either of those two.
The early part about Mitsuha's life before the whole body switch shenanigan is easily my favorite part of the film.

It really, really, didn't help that I've gotten sick of the cliches presented in the film, even if they're executed well. There's a lot of neat elements in it though, and all things considered I think I like it just as much as I like 5 CM (although for very different reasons obviously). Both have good story and theme wrapped in absolutely outstanding presentation, but I only sort of moderately like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Johnny and I started watching Barakamon, and it's really charming! Just fun and relaxing, very pretty, and genuinely funny. I don't know shit about calligraphy, but that's sort of incidental to a story about a young man finding himself with the help of a precocious child. It's certainly a great (and short!) palette-cleanser after 148 episodes of shonen.
(Hunter X Hunter?)

Barakamon's great stuff. If you love it and want more, get the manga. Some more nuanced characterization and IMO it gets even better after the point the anime's finished. There are parts about career and life choices that really resonated with me without getting overly preachy and sentimental.

Last edited by Raven; 05-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
(Hunter X Hunter?)
Aye. On the sliding scale that is action shounen, I actually thought that it was really good (possibly my 2nd-favourite after Law of Ueki?), and makes some really novel and smart choices to avoid the usual shounen traps ("hey, this arc is boring; on second thought let's fuck off and do something else entirely"), but that chimera ant arc draaaaged (and yes, I know the IRL stuff involved there). Still, the short final arc was pretty good again (<3 Leorio), and I'd have been on board for more but there's only been a handful of chapters since and it's on hiatus again ATM. >_<
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 AM
poisonous thread snake

Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho always bummed me about because they had great premises but Togashi's burnout led to both sloppy storytelling and lazy execution.

The early chapters of HxH presented such a vast, mysterious-seeming world only for the MCs to be the strongest people on the planet by the end of the third storyline. Weak!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Togashi also seems to create a lot of details for his world's we don't need. Like that time he went into great detail about the politics of a bomb that doesn't exist and really only needed to blow up and not have a detailed backstory.

I will say this: only one of the story arcs of Hunter X Hunter ends with a conventional main hero vs. main villain climax. That's kind of frustrating, but I also kind of respect it. The Chimera Ant arc had a DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho-style villain who can't be defeated by anyone... then slowly dies of radiation poisoning. In addition, when the main character finally has a super saiyin moment near the end, it's sort of horrible and depressing. Though those adjectives could be used to describe much of the Chimera Ant arc.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Remembers Love

Not sure if it should go in the cartoon thread or this one, since it's a French-Japanese co-pro, but I watched The Red Turtle. It was fun seeing Ghibli animation applied to something besides their house-style, and the combination of Japanese and Eurocomics aesthetics was certainly easy on the eyes. I didn't think it was groundbreaking or essential, but I enjoyed it, and there's something to be said about a feature-length, dialogue-free bit of sakuga.

I found the part where the castaway attacks the turtle legit upsetting. Maybe there's something to the Voight-Kampff test.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Remembers Love

Also, someone on the Macross World forums subbed the first two episodes of Yamato 2022 [loose .srt files]. The first episode was 👌, though the second put me off for some reason. I hope that can be chalked up to it having to set up the pieces for the season.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 PM

The Eccentric Family S2 started a little slowly, but it's building steam steadily and really ramping up in the last few episodes. This last episode... definitely made me feel some emotions. There's so much to analyze and say, and I'm so unprepared/incapable of doing it justice. I'm just so thrilled I even get to watch this though. Rakugo Shinjuu S2 last season, and now this - the world might be going to shit but anime has never been this incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Not sure if it should go in the cartoon thread or this one, since it's a French-Japanese co-pro, but I watched The Red Turtle. It was fun seeing Ghibli animation applied to something besides their house-style, and the combination of Japanese and Eurocomics aesthetics was certainly easy on the eyes. I didn't think it was groundbreaking or essential, but I enjoyed it, and there's something to be said about a feature-length, dialogue-free bit of sakuga.

I found the part where the castaway attacks the turtle legit upsetting. Maybe there's something to the Voight-Kampff test.
My understanding is that the film was a collaboration work between like 5 different European countries. IIRC looking through the credits there's barely anyone listed with a Japanese name, and I'm pretty sure that despite the giant STUDIO GHIBLI logos, it's there mostly just for branding purposes and that Isao Takahata was there just as a glorified consultant. I dunno if its qualifies as anime, or is even all that anime-inspired as it feels much more French. But it was still a pretty decent movie for what it is. And it pulled off 3DCG better than most things.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road