The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Find Your Reason

That's a fine intro to Discworld! Pratchett had refined his craft and humor considerably since The Color of Magic and it also showcases his particular philosophies and humanism that shine brightly throughout his books. And as a religious person myself, I find that Pratchett, famously atheist, has an excellent grasp on spiritualism and the difference between organized religion and personal devotion (I still maintain Small Gods is a must-read for anyone remotely serious about their own faith.)

Last edited by Zef; 05-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, Small Gods is usually my recommendation for anyone looking to dip their toe into Discworld. The recommended reading order unfortunately gets a lot muddier from there. >_<
Old 05-15-2017, 10:03 AM
King Of Space-Time

I read them in their published order, but I concur. Small Gods is an excellent intro. After that, maybe Guards, Guards! This is the tipping point for the Disc's march into modernity.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I read them in their published order, but I concur. Small Gods is an excellent intro. After that, maybe Guards, Guards! This is the tipping point for the Disc's march into modernity.
Yeah, Guards Guards! is the intro to the "march of history" Ankh-Mopork-centric books: from there you go to Moving Pictures, which is a prototype of so much of the series after that point (EG, new technology is developed, exploited, causes chaos, then gets normalised to the point where it's remarked as being part of the furniture in later books).

Along those lines -

Moving Pictures - Movies
Men at Arms - Firearms
Soul Music - Rock n Roll
Feet of Clay - This one actually doesn't fit, but is essential to the overall story.
Jingo - Diplomacy and War
The Fifth Elephant - Communications / Telegraphs
The Truth - Printing Presses / Newspapers
Going Postal - Mail
Making Money - Currency
Raising Steam - Railroads

The later Vimes books - Night Watch, Thud, and Snuff - all don't really fit into the progression, but they're important for the overall progression of Ankh-Mopork in particular (although like most people I thought Thud was weak). Fifth Elephant winds up being a REALLY important book for years and years later, between the first real introduction to Dwarf politics and the Clacks.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Safe Space

I tried reading Moving Pictures, but I couldn't finish it. The main character felt too much like a reskin of Rincewind.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Most of the main characters in the technology line aren't very important - they're there to pace the reader through the references and react to what's going on around them.

Moist gets a bit more depth by necessity since he's the hero of three books, but even then Pratchett's writing had evolved to the point where he was writing more about the world than the hero.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Nice, a discworld thread.

During my reread of all the discworld books in publishing order, I'm now in the middle of Wyrd Sisters. I enjoyed all the books up to now (even Sourcery, which I found to be a perfectly enjoyable read), but this one feels like a big improvement. I love the three witches, especially Nanny and Granny, and the bit where Granny critizices the play is beautiful. But the humour feels like it developed in general.

I can't wait to get to Lords and Ladies.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 AM
King Of Space-Time

If you like The Ramtops witches, make sure you check out the Tiffany Aching books, starting with The Wee Free Men.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I've never liked the Witches. Just never clicked with me. I've read every Discworld book except that sub-series, which I just started skipping over after reading a couple and hating them. In fact, I almost didn't read any Pratchett at all, since my introduction to his writing was the Witches short story in Legends, which was awful. I'm glad that I decided to give his other stuff a try anyway.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I've never liked the Witches. Just never clicked with me. I've read every Discworld book except that sub-series, which I just started skipping over after reading a couple and hating them. In fact, I almost didn't read any Pratchett at all, since my introduction to his writing was the Witches short story in Legends, which was awful. I'm glad that I decided to give his other stuff a try anyway.
I'm in the same boat. The Witches stuff is for a specific type of reader that is very much not me.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I'm in the same boat. The Witches stuff is for a specific type of reader that is very much not me.
I haven't read Raising Steam yet, but I feel similarly about Moist. I'm hoping his third book changes my opinion.

I will always lament that we never got to see Granny Weatherwax meet Vimes. While the Disc would've probably collapsed under such concentrated awesome, those are my two favorite Pratchett protags and I would've liked seeing them butting heads. It's doubly sad because Vimes HAS gone to Witches country and Granny and Nanny HAVE gone to the city and they never crossed paths.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The closest you get to that is the gag from Fifth Elephant with the depressed trousers of Uncle Vanya. That scene was pretty clearly written to invoke the witches, even if it didn't use them.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

I don't think I've actually read any of the Witches books, but loved the Tiffany Aching series
Old 05-16-2017, 02:59 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I haven't read Raising Steam yet, but I feel similarly about Moist. I'm hoping his third book changes my opinion.

I will always lament that we never got to see Granny Weatherwax meet Vimes. While the Disc would've probably collapsed under such concentrated awesome, those are my two favorite Pratchett protags and I would've liked seeing them butting heads. It's doubly sad because Vimes HAS gone to Witches country and Granny and Nanny HAVE gone to the city and they never crossed paths.
Odds are they're both such powerful sources of Narrativium, they probably unconsciously are kept apart to keep their storylines on an even keel.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
If you like The Ramtops witches, make sure you check out the Tiffany Aching books, starting with The Wee Free Men.
Oh, it's a reread, I read most of the books already at some point. Still thanks for the info, Tiffanys books are probably my favourite sub-series, with Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith being probably my favourite Discworld books. Having Nanny and Granny as side characters and teachers was a very clever move of Pratchett, showing them in a new light.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Wyrd Sisters stayed pretty good for the whole time. I really enjoyed the reread after all this years.

Pyramids, on the other hand, was clearly early Discworld. Actually, I don't understand why people call Sourcery the most skippable book of the series when this one is right here. Not that it's bad - from the four parts, the first and third were as enjoyable of most of the staff in the books before it. Part four less so, and part two was probably the only time a discworld novel actively bored me.

Again, not that it's bad, but from all the Discworld books I've read this was the weakest. It's also responsible for me not reading Small Gods, back 15 years ago, when I first read some of the books, because I had no more interest in not-Egypt.

Guards, Guards on the other hand feels on the same level as Wyrd Sisters. Not quite there yet, but clearly a step up from what came before. Vetinary doesn't feel quite right, and Vimes just starts to stop being drunk all the time, so I can't even judge him now, but it all feels sort of right.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM
-ryn

So, I finished Small Gods and I enjoyed it enough to give Mort a read. I liked the ending of Mort more than Small Gods.
Those two and recommendations here got me to try Guards, Guards! and I've almost finished it. Now that's a book I've enjoyed a lot. I've found every character to be really funny in their own way. The only weird thing to me is Pratchett always cuts away from any action. When the dragon attacks the coronation ceremony, I think Vimes even comments on how spectacular it was. Not to say that's bad or good, just an interesting choice by the author.

I don't know that I'm really a huge Pratchett fan at this point. The books are clever and get a chuckle out of me. Its kinda fun to read a book that just doesn't take itself too seriously. I'll probably need to take a break from it for a while though.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Find Your Reason

Even by the time of G,G!, Pratchett was still finding his style. He continues to improve, and so do his action scenes --all of the Watch books excel at action, in varying degrees, and the Rincewind/Wizards books have humorous sequences too.

Tags
books , discworld , terry pratchett