The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 AM

Hmm, not yet. I'm just an on-and-off Watch Out for Fireballs listener though, only picking episodes on the games I know. I think the WOFF format is a really great style, it's the killer feature of the show for me. They also cover Gamecube and PS2 games, something which I've hoped Retronauts would cover more often. Last time I caught up with WOFF was with Megaman 2 and 3 though, so I haven't heard about the new changes.

~

I wanted to share The Game Informer Podcast here. It's primarily just a new releases / gaming news show, with both a video version on youtube and a regular audio version. I know this type of podcast sounds so boring and ordinary, but it's a really enjoyable execution of this concept.

The host Ben Hanson does a wonderful job, and they seem to keep it semi-kid friendly by bleeping out any stray curse words. Every episode has perfectly detailed timestamps for every game/topic. Every episode also has a community emails section which, surprisingly, is one of the best parts of the show. (I've listened to some archived episodes containing nothing of interest just to skip to the emails section!) The listener questions are completely open ended and they seem to have cultivated a culture of asking good questions.

Something else about the show: you'll probably notice the episodes are very long. Every episode is basically two episodes of a typical podcast stuck together though. The first half is either a discussion topic or gaming releases, and the second half is either a lengthy developer interview or an episode of an ongoing "game club" (sort of a group Let's Play). I skip the second half unless it sounds like a good interview.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Anyone else losing interest in Duckfeed.tv podcasts?
Maybe a little? I've never been a BFSC fan, though, so recent events haven't impacted me much. I've only ever really listened to Abject Suffering and WOFF anyway. I've been listening to Monster in my Podcast, but I noticed recently that I'm not really enjoying it as much as when I started, so I'll probably drop that one at least. Abject Suffering is on the bubble. For the moment, I'll keep kicking 'em money, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I should reflect more often on what in my life is no longer bringing me any value.
This is a good policy! I could stand to cut my Patreon bill; it's gotten really big without me even noticing, $5 at a time. I also recently dropped VGMpire and am much happier for it; I realized that it was never going to be the show that I wanted it to be and I was largely just hate-listening/going on momentum. See also any episode of Retronauts with 2+ LaserTime peeps on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I'm just an on-and-off Watch Out for Fireballs listener though, only picking episodes on the games I know.
I think this is the only correct way to do it. WOFF's treatment is such a deep dive that I just bounce off if I'm not already familiar with the game they're covering.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

Our own Mr. Jbear introduced me to Qwerpline a couple of days ago, and it's done a fine job of supplementing the bits I like about Nightvale. Unfortunately, it's both really short and only has a sporadic update schedule, so it didn't supplement anything for very long (also not a big fan of the random breaks to laugh at their own jokes, but that's a stylistic choice).

So... are there any other good podcasts to fill the Weird Town Local News-shaped hole in my heart?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 AM
This Guy

Does anyone know any good TV podcasts? Something like The Watch from The Ringer, only not The Watch because that is the podcast I'm looking to drop.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
(also not a big fan of the random breaks to laugh at their own jokes, but that's a stylistic choice).
I really like this part of it, actually. It kind of fits because the entire thing is done in a semi-improv fashion.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Started listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour, and the first few episodes are right up my alley and I intend to continue. One question though; is this the kind of thing where it behooves me to listen to it in order, or am I okay to skip around a bit? Because, while they're mostly a tidy 20-30 minutes, there are a lot of episodes, and they aren't kept in numerical order so it seems really easy to lose my place...
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Started listening to The Thrilling Adventure Hour, and the first few episodes are right up my alley and I intend to continue. One question though; is this the kind of thing where it behooves me to listen to it in order, or am I okay to skip around a bit? Because, while they're mostly a tidy 20-30 minutes, there are a lot of episodes, and they aren't kept in numerical order so it seems really easy to lose my place...
Sparks Nevada is fairly serialized, but in such a way that every episode still stands on it's own. Beyond Belief and the other mostly eschew this and though there are a few recurring characters, they mostly stand on their own.

Also, Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster are super charming as the Doyles. It's like the Thin Man but with ghosts and monsters.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Mystery Contraption

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Huzzah!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM
King Of Space-Time

Repost from the late night TV thread:

Why yes, I will take this half a loaf.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Is there not one thing

Chapo had China Mieville on last week, and has David Cross on this week. Come for the celebs, stay for the caustic rhetoric
Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Remembers Love

The Mieville interview was super good. I tossed Perdido Street Station about two thirds through, but I'll probably end up picking up October.

If people are looking for Lefty podcasts that are a bit more anodyne, I've actually really really liked The Dig. Daniel Denvir's style's more in the NPR interviewer continuity, but the caliber of his guests is pretty excellent. If I had to choose an episode to start with, I'd defo go with Mark Blyth's lecture.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Is there not one thing

Radio War Nerd did a deep dive into William Hogeland's amazing-sounding "Autumn of the Black Snake", an account of the forgotten war between the United States and the indigenous confederation of nations north of the Ohio and south of the Great Lakes.

He talks about shit no one talks about. How the Haudenosaunee's military power and Great Law of Peace made them a North American powerhouse with clout in Europe (note: anyone who had to fight the Haudenosaunee military on a regular basis was either conquered or became scary motherfuckers. You did not walk into the Great Lakes without an invitation or a death wish.) How the nations resettled in the Ohio region (Shawnee, Miami, The Council of the Three Fires, etc) turned to agriculture to secure their base of power and build their independence. He even gets into the possibility of how a European-backed Shawnee-Haudenosaunee bloc could have prevented American expansion for a good long time.

He doesn't pull punches. Those wars were classical wars: Wars of annihilation and atrocity. The Shawnee called one battle "The Battle of the Pumpkin Patch" because the indigenous warriors thought the piles of scalped, decapitated American heads left over afterwards reminded them of harvesting pumpkins back home.

I gotta read this one.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:42 PM
It's all good, man

Sounds interesting.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Is there not one thing

T. (aka @RickyRawls of twitter) now produces the Champagne Sharks podcast, where he explains the politics of black liberation using current events and mass culture as illustrations.

His current episode is a mammoth 2.5hr lecture on white appropriation of black culture, the cult of "negrophilia" as illustrated by Get Out, and why he believes Hamilton must be totally rejected by people of color.

I found his thesis compelling, but I definitely suggest treating this as 3-4 separate episodes (I. Get Out and Negrophilia II. Obama the West Wing Liberal III. Hamilton pt 1/2).
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
(note: anyone who had to fight the Haudenosaunee military on a regular basis was either conquered or became scary motherfuckers. You did not walk into the Great Lakes without an invitation or a death wish.)
As an aside, Last of the Mohicans was a movie that I found kind of terrifying when I watched it as a kid. I particularly remember the scene where Daniel Day-Lewis shoots his English friend and that my dad had to explain to me that it was an act of mercy since the friend was being tortured to death by being burned at the stake. I also remember Wes Studi in his role as the film's villain and how he portrayed an incredible menace in every scene of the film, capped off in the movie's final act when he attempts to lure one of the fair English maidens away from a cliff by beckoning with a hand still covered in English blood.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
As an aside, Last of the Mohicans was a movie that I found kind of terrifying when I watched it as a kid. I particularly remember the scene where Daniel Day-Lewis shoots his English friend and that my dad had to explain to me that it was an act of mercy since the friend was being tortured to death by being burned at the stake. I also remember Wes Studi in his role as the film's villain and how he portrayed an incredible menace in every scene of the film, capped off in the movie's final act when he attempts to lure one of the fair English maidens away from a cliff by beckoning with a hand still covered in English blood.
Another great moment is when Hawkeye walks into the Huron/Wyandotte capitol. They're Hawkeye's sworn enemies, but he came unarmed under a sign of peace and so they have to provoke him to violence before they kill him.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law might be a good way for you to channel the horror of 45 into learning about our Constitution.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
T. (aka @RickyRawls of twitter) now produces the Champagne Sharks podcast, where he explains the politics of black liberation using current events and mass culture as illustrations.
Thanks for pointing me to this. The first episode made a lot stuff snap into place for me, and I have the Hamilton episode queued up for tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Thanks for pointing me to this. The first episode made a lot stuff snap into place for me, and I have the Hamilton episode queued up for tomorrow.
Let me know what you think. And I'm not joking about breaking that one up into multiple listens - the didacticism will wear you down otherwise.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Remembers Love

It was a bit enervating, but not overly so. I don't think there was anything in his thesis I disagreed with, and some of it was particularly damning.

His comparison of Hamilton to Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson and a theoretical play with Jewish actors portraying leading Nazi's was interesting. I think the latter exists in a sense with The Producers, and even a more pure realization of the concept could only be read as equally ironic. Similarly, while BBAJ made a misstep in its portrayal of Native Americans, that portrayal is embedded in a play that's campy and satirical. Hamilton, then, is remarkable for how unironic and deifying it is. I think he's spot on in that it's the death spasm of Founder Chic - that portraying White Americans with Black actors and Black culture is the only way you could get away with unironically celebrating historical figures that are troubling at best.

There was a theme that he touched on in the first episode but didn't return to in this one, regarding Black people using white's fetishization of them for material gain - his example being the Safety Pin Box.* His take seemed neutral - I think he said something to the effect if "more power to them." Miranda's certainly cleaning up, and his mostly Black cast at least have a very good gig. Of course, Jeffrey Seller, the show's white producer, is probably making more than a good portion of the cast combined, which I'm not going to touch. I suppose there's not really much to say other than it's probably a less exploitative use of Black bodies and voices than Motown or Black backup singers.

I think a good companion piece to this might be this video on Rent. I have to watch it again myself, but a big part of it is about how the play, along with others, like Hamilton and Les Miserables superficially appear to challenge power, but actually have exceedingly little of substance to say - and in Hamilton's case, end up very much reaffirming that power.

*Side note: this reminded me a lot of discussions about Kimbo Slice and Bob Sapp in the MMA thread.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
It was a bit enervating, but not overly so. I don't think there was anything in his thesis I disagreed with, and some of it was particularly damning.
Audre Lorde's famous quotation comes to mind (though I'm not sure if he mentioned her or if that was from another critique of Hamilton's politics):

Quote:
For the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house. They may allow us temporarily to beat him at his own game, but they will never enable us to bring about genuine change.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Is there not one thing

Most recent Chapo was one of their worst, with Will totally unable to redirect Amber and Matt's rants about nationalization back to a conversation the guest might have been able to take part in. I couldn't even tell you what she was there to discuss - it was that disjointed and aimless.

That said the jokes were good, and Will's bit about being a Dear Prudie nerd was perfect.

Radio War Nerd recently unlocked a discussion with David Forbes, who wrote The Old Iron Dream, an examination of sci-fi's romance with reactionary politics. Pretty much on the opposite end of the planet from Chapo, as Mark Ames is a strong interviewer and John Dolan and David Forbes could have an interesting conversation from now until Doomsday. As ever, highest recommendation (with reservations: Don't listen to John Dolan unless you have a strong tolerance for bleak news and gallows humor.)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Gesundheit!

I find Chapo to be cathartic when they discuss bad politics, but I could only make it halfway through their Wonder Woman episode. I'm not even a WW superfan (it was fine), but it's just so grating and unpleasant to hear them bitch about movies and the Alamo Drafthouse.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

They were upset about the women-only showing I presume? Man, I remember 3 years back when complaining about stuff like that was still fresh and new (when, SHOCK, a Sailor Moon Crystal premiere event pulled the same thing)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
They were upset about the women-only showing I presume? Man, I remember 3 years back when complaining about stuff like that was still fresh and new (when, SHOCK, a Sailor Moon Crystal premiere event pulled the same thing)
They were also pissed about the open race-mixing in the lobby, let me tell you!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Is there not one thing

In reality: They did an internationalist reading of the film, which is staunchly in the pro-militarism, pro-intervention camp, and also bitched about the weak drinks Drafthouse serves.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:50 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

It was a pretty dumb analysis. Amber was like, "Even though I love to watch cop shows, anyone who enjoyed this movie is not as smart as me and they accepting the pro-war message uncritically."

Also, The Alamo Drafthouse proves that Libs Are the Real Racists.

In the newest episode, Universal Basic Income is bad, Actually, because [arguments that are mostly the same as rightwing responses to a minimum wage increase, mixed with a patina of calls for nationalising Wal-Mart instead]. Also, no Felix, so what's even the point.

Dear Prudie was very funny though.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Gesundheit!

It wasn't so much the politics as the way they painted themselves as moviegoers. For all that the Chapo crew makes me laugh I'd never want to hang out with them. Then again that's probably the image they're trying to cultivate.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
In the newest episode, Universal Basic Income is bad, Actually, because [arguments that are mostly the same as rightwing responses to a minimum wage increase, mixed with a patina of calls for nationalising Wal-Mart instead]. Also, no Felix, so what's even the point.
UBI, that was it! Again, they touched on a couple of interesting points about the weaknesses of UBI as a leveling mechanism, then completely lost the plot in Amber's tirade about nationalization. Weak fuckin sauce compared to when they talk about stuff they've actually researched or worked with personally (the campaign trail shows, especially).

Side note: I listened to the Cum Town where Felix guested, and it was really weird hearing his comedy style grind against Nick and Stav's. They started to get into a decent rhythm by the end, but it was a good illustration of how important chemistry is to humor.

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog