The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Did the old feed die? Im not getting updates anymore...
Some people are getting this error since the server switched to podcast one. Try deleting and then re-subbing.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Video Monster

I'm listening to the episode discussing z-tier Famicom game developers, and it's kinda crazy to hear Parish and Dr. Sparkles conversing, since I've read or listened to both of their material separately. I had no idea the two were acquainted.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Some people are getting this error since the server switched to podcast one. Try deleting and then re-subbing.
I get the opposite problem, where its trying to double up every episode I've got to the point where I got fed up with it and deleted my personal archive because I can't be bothered to deal with it.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I love the bored drummer.
He's not bored, he's a Darknut. He's stoic.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Life depends on change

I still love him <3
Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Did the old feed die? Im not getting updates anymore...
I seem to recall seeing on the site it did? I don't know if that applies to the retronauts.com site feed rather than the podcast update feed; I would assume that works, though it obviously contains notably more than just podcast updates
Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Bertolli?!?...

FYI, since I imagine this would potentially be of interest to a few folks around here and you've only got a little over a week to apply, note that Retronauts is looking for a couple of part-time writers.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Out Of Warranty

Hey, I come from a different culture, I grew up with a Commodore 64 and an Atari computer, I can use Slack and CMS systems...

Wait, I need to have writing skills? Dammit.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:20 PM
-ryn

Just want to chime in and say that I just listened to and really enjoyed Retronauts East! I had a Nintendo, but only a couple games. However, we could convince the parents that computers were for "Education", so I've always been a PC gamer. I really enjoy computing history, so this episode was, in my opinion, wonderful. Benji was excellent and brought a ton of knowledge. I'm really excited about this new venture.

Also, i don't know why but the idea that this thing was recorded on my end of the country makes it feel more special!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, FWIW, I'm really digging Retronauts East as well. As someone who's not really into the Lasertime style of humour, I've been drifting away from the show a bit lately as those folks have had a bigger and bigger presence, but a drier, less goofy discussion puts things squarely back in my wheelhouse.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM

On the other hand, I totally did not know about the Mr. Belvedere incident until listening to the Punch-Out!! episode last weekend.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Not a Beer

Glad you folks are digging Retronauts East as we've got a second one out this week. Switching things up a bit, this one is early Sega arcade stuff... which isn't really anyone's strong point but we muddle through the early obscurities as we work our way up, and I think there's some really fun hardware discussions and other stuff in there. Also got to leverage some work I did for Gamespite Quarterly back in the day, so that was fun.

I'm probably sitting out the next East for Reasons (unless the schedule changes), but I'll be back later. We've still got later Sega arcade stuff to cover (because we ran out of time at two hours, good lord) and then there's more retro computing stuff definitely on the docket for future months.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Glad you folks are digging Retronauts East as we've got a second one out this week. Switching things up a bit, this one is early Sega arcade stuff... which isn't really anyone's strong point but we muddle through the early obscurities as we work our way up, and I think there's some really fun hardware discussions and other stuff in there. Also got to leverage some work I did for Gamespite Quarterly back in the day, so that was fun.

I'm probably sitting out the next East for Reasons (unless the schedule changes), but I'll be back later. We've still got later Sega arcade stuff to cover (because we ran out of time at two hours, good lord) and then there's more retro computing stuff definitely on the docket for future months.
hells to the fuck yes inject that #content straight into my veins
Old 03-31-2017, 02:12 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

I really wish the newest episode about inexplicable celebrity licenses had come out a week before so I'd have had time to incorporate it into SMOB. There is so much amazing content to mine out of it
Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Sudden chomper

As a lapsed Retronauts listener I've been drawn back by Retronauts Radio and I've really enjoyed those episodes so far. I appreciate the technical and historical context that Parish brings to the shows, although I would still like it if the episodes featured more/longer music breaks. The bit with the CVIII soundtrack crossfading from Famicom to NES was great.

(As a side note, I think I still prefer the NES soundtrack for its clarity. Famicom CVIII is definitely a good listen, but the channels all sound kind of muddy. I will say that it has way better bass than the NES version, though.)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

so uh how much do I have to grease y'all's palms to get my music on a retronauts radio
Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 PM
120 Days

So! I want to comment on the Batman retronauts. Do I do it here? Or is there a retronauts specific forum on that page?

MY COMMENT: on Konami Batman Returns SNES - the look of the game is 100% accurate to the movie. This is also why it's great. It looks like a near B/W paean to German Expressionism. I love this game!!!

Edit: Adventures of Batman and Robin are 2 diff games between snes and genny.

The one mentioned in podcast was the snes one. The Genny one is an incredibly evil contra esque game, not by konami.

Last edited by chud_666; 04-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Incredibly evil and filled with lots of cool raster-bation effects
Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Catching up on the Sega to '85 Arcade episode. I almost, ALMOST want to send Parish my copy of the PS2 Sega classics collection so he will be forced to can stream it for a future episode of Gintendo or whatever. But then I would be without a copy of it, and that would be sad. (I still maintain Tanto, Bonanza Bros., Virtua Racing, Fantasy Zone, and Alien Syndrome are all quite lovely remakes and make it worth owning a copy, even if the remakes of Golden Axe and Space Harrier are particularly egregious.)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

You know what would be nice? If you guys included lists of games under discussion from an episode (i.e., "We discuss the following games") because I can do a search for loco-motion but heaven help me if I try to figure out if it's "gitan goton" or "gatan goton", y'know? Especially if I'm distracted for a second and miss the name of the game and it's one I'm not already aware of.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
You know what would be nice? If you guys included lists of games under discussion from an episode (i.e., "We discuss the following games") because I can do a search for loco-motion but heaven help me if I try to figure out if it's "gitan goton" or "gatan goton", y'know? Especially if I'm distracted for a second and miss the name of the game and it's one I'm not already aware of.
A+ suggestion.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Lets hope Parish reads this thread then!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

we're doomed
Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Not a Beer

I dunno if he does, but I do! I don't remember off the top of my head everything we discussed in the early Sega arcade episode, but I should still have the google doc we used for planning, lemme see if I can scrape a list out of that quick...
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Not a Beer

Okay, here we go. I'm pretty sure we skipped over some of these, but most of what we talked about was from this list, so if you're listening along this should have pretty much all the names you're looking for:

Pro Monaco GP
Space Trek
Turbo
Borderline
SubRoc-3D
Ali Baba And 40 Thieves
Zaxxon/Super Zaxxon
Pengo
Super Locomotive
Zoom 909/Buck Rogers - Planet Of Zoom
Loco-Motion/Guttang Gottong
Star Trek
Champion Boxing
Regulus
Congo Bongo
Champion Baseball
Star Jacker
Spatter
Appoooh
Future Spy
Flicky
GP World
Hang-On
Heavy Metal
Choplifter
Space Harrier
Flashgal
4-D Warriors
Sega Ninja/Ninja Princess
Repulse
Pitfall II - The Lost Caverns
My Hero
Fantasy Zone
Teddy Boy Blues
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Not a Beer

Related to this suggestion, I also have to admit feeling that episode could use some visual aids as well. You could probably kind of hear us passing around screenshots at some points while we were jogging our memories on certain titles, and it'd be cool to have those around (though of course you can google most of them easily with the above list).

I dunno if Jeremy has any plans for supplemental material on the ongoing Retronauts website expansions that are underway, I can ask next time I see him. As a stop-gap meanwhile I've actually considered just posting and tagging some relevant stuff on my tumblr - I may actually do that for an upcoming episode as I just dug up a lot of relevant materials from my old closets.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Thanks! I -- me! seriously! me! -- had never heard of appoooh! before, so this is actually very very helpful for looking up information

Also, y'all reminded me that Flicky (for however dubious its long term relevance as a piece of art in its own right may be) has more than just a superficial influence on Sonic -- it was probably where they got the idea for "your rings scatter when you get hit" mechanic. And it's weird this isn't more obvious to me given they made the reference pretty explicit in that one game

Was expecting one of y'all to comment on how the Spatter dude was also an obvious influence on the Chao design too, but then it's reading about its influence that even got me informed said game even existed in the first place. Never played it, myself.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Not a Beer

Hey I'm on another one of these crazy things, this time on a subject near and dear to my heart: early MacOS gaming. So much good stuff that we only got through the 80s in this episode, and will have to come back and do the 90s later.

I also put up a few supplemental bits and bobs on my new side tumblr - this is a place where I'm stashing photos of all kinds of random 80s and 90s paraphernalia that I've recently cleaned out of my childhood closets, but there's a retronauts tag you can use to hit the relevant stuff.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Nice use of reference to FFV in terms of job-changing for the one ad. Now to just weave in references to Ghosts n Goblins and Wonder Boy in Monster World into the one for MeUndies
Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 AM
I. Love. It.

I've been meaning to do this for awhile but I finally threw some money at the Patreon. Retronauts has been great to listen to during the three hour drive and return trip I make just about each month.

Is there a way to get the early access episodes on iTunes? I think I remember them mentioning something like that in an episode recently but I can't find anything in the posts on the Patreon. Or do we just download them manually?

Tags
bob mackey! , podcasts , retronauts , wow