The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 AM
Just bear with me

There was a Jetsons episode from the 80s that was pretty clearly animated by John Kricfalusi, with a robot masseuse tenderizing Mr. Spacely. I thought that was amusing, especially since TBS was showing it around the time Nick aired Ren and Stimpy.

Also, there was a Harvey Birdman episode where George claimed to be from the far-flung future of 2002. While he's talking, Birdman peers over at his desk calendar from 2004. Past that, yeah, the Jetsons wasn't exactly a shining star of the HB library.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

KANE

STOP THIS CRAZY THING
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 AM
Penalty Box

Holy crap I didn't think the last episode of 90s X-Men would be so good, and somehow so powerful. I mean, the setup at the beginning is kind of stupid, but the payoff is excellent. Particularly because Jean Grey saves the day, without any BS like the Phoenix powers. She got treated worse than Jubilee (who's also unfairly mistreated) but a simple, short battle between her (with an utterly useless Cyclops and Wolverine) and Magneto gives her an instant idea to save the day. Then we get a farewell message that makes even Gambit and Cyclops sound like good characters, and a happy ending that's a fitting send-off to the series.

I mean, I think there are maybe 20 good episodes out of the entire 76 episode run that I found. But this is one of the best ones. I guess the creative staff behind this really did like working on the show, to send it off like that.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, that sounds about right. First season is pretty well put together, and the multi-part episodes usually have enough breathing room to tell good stories...

Otherwise, isolated good/hilarious scenes are the best you can hope for.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Scooby-Doo is a perennial franchise. While that one came out of left field, at least it makes sense to me.

The Flinstones was a huge show in it's time, and that momentum carried it for decades. Children of today only know it from it's inexplicable and seemingly immortal brand licencing. I believe John Cena may have finally bumped Fred and Barney off the Fruity Pebbles box for good, so I guess there is that tenuous connection.

No one like The Jetsons, and anyone who says they do is just trying to win an internet argument. You're not making The Jetsons better, you're only making WWE worse.
Ya, Flintstones did pretty well despite being so utterly shameless in how much of a ripoff itself was. Honeymooners + puns + dinosaurs - threatened spousal abuse.

Jetsons seems like just an executive pitched idea. "Flintstones was set into the prehistoric time. How about we make a show like that, but in the FUUUUUUTUUUUURE?!"
Old 01-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Penalty Box

I think Scooby Doo is the first thing I noticed people watching/appreciating ironically. Though Speed Racer probably actually beats it to that, but Scooby Doo feels like it definitely captured some of that same audience for its lasting appeal.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 AM
so exciting!

Scooby Doo Mystery Inc was good
Old 01-12-2017, 06:47 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I think Scooby Doo is the first thing I noticed people watching/appreciating ironically. Though Speed Racer probably actually beats it to that, but Scooby Doo feels like it definitely captured some of that same audience for its lasting appeal.
Scooby Doo catches both stoners and hipsters, and does so across generations. It's freaking evergreen.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Space Prez

Scooby-Doo is appealing to children.
In other news, adults who use drugs recreationally are often drawn to children's entertainment.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc was good
The first season is a pretty good mystery, but I'm not a fan of how the second season turns into Persona.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
The first season is a pretty good mystery, but I'm not a fan of how the second season turns into Persona.
It's great because that's not even an exaggeration it's pretty much exactly the plot to the second game.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin is to Persona 2 Eternal Punishment what Scooby Doo Mystery Inc is to Scooby Doo Where Are You?

Last edited by Pajaro Pete; 01-12-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 AM
Penalty Box

After finishing X Men, I wanted to take another 90s animation nostalgia trip. But this time it's for something of unquestionably high quality: Batman TAS.

It really has been a long, long time since I saw any of these... and it's still the best version of Batman there ever was. And probably ever will be.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 AM

I prefer Brave and the Bold but we're talking two 10/10s here
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

I don't want to choose between 'em.

My heart could not bear it.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:22 AM

I only prefer BatB because it has no bad episodes.

TAS has Batman in my Basement.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Yo Bunk, since you're watching BTAS currently, please give impressions as you go. I wanna know if anyone else supports my "Clayface is Gayface" theory.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:29 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
The real question is: why didn't Goober and the Ghost Chasers ever take off?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:39 AM
Penalty Box

The only thing I'll really say so far is, 5 episodes in, it feels like these are listed by some kind of intended air date, instead of their actual air date. Not that I'm really against it... it just felt like the Poison Ivy episode I just watched was intended to be the first one, maybe.

Oh yeah, I also really like that Batman's narrow escapes never feel like plot armor to me. That might drag on as the series goes, but I really enjoy that this interpretation of Batman is a lot more human. I always liked that about TAS Batman anyway, but it's a nice thing to be reminded of.

These are other no-brainers, but I still like repeating them:
This is the best Batman, at least as far as serious Batman goes.
This is the best Joker, and really, the best version of all the villains.

I forget if Bane shows up until well after Knightfall happened in the comics, but the rest of the lineup has a depth that makes them a lot better than most cartoon characters are, especially villains in a superhero show. It's not like you suddenly empathize with the Joker, Scarecrow, or Penguin, but you get a backstory and motivation that feels much better than anything given for the not-Magneto villains in X Men, and some of them have a real human element to their madness, like Poison Ivy or the Man-Bat. I can't wait until I get to Clayface, because I remember his story at least being incredibly tragic.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Yo Bunk, since you're watching BTAS currently, please give impressions as you go. I wanna know if anyone else supports my "Clayface is Gayface" theory.
I hadn't considered this read of the character, but it does fit with Matt Hagen's pre-Clayface portrayal as a square-jawed Rock Hudson-type actor who's past his prime, leaning heavily on the assistance of his male best friend as he struggles with a potentially-devastating secret (in this case, being coerced by Roland Daggett into committing crimes in exchange for powerful and addictive face-restoring drugs).
Old 01-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

It's a pretty valid read of the character, don't think it was as intentional as Harley and Ivy, though.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It's a pretty valid read of the character, don't think it was as intentional as Harley and Ivy, though.
H&I is just Bruce Timm being Bruce Timm
Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The only thing I'll really say so far is, 5 episodes in, it feels like these are listed by some kind of intended air date, instead of their actual air date. Not that I'm really against it... it just felt like the Poison Ivy episode I just watched was intended to be the first one, maybe.
The first episode is definitively On Leather Wings (even though, in a lot of markets, "The Cat and the Claw, Part One" aired the Saturday or Sunday before the debut of OLW in prime time). That's why Justice League's "Epilogue" ends with a reprise of the opening scene of that episode; it was supposed to be the final episode of the entire universe before they got the fifth season.

There's a lot of mini-arcs on the show, but they're generally separate from each other. All the Freeze episodes tell one big story (even into Batman Beyond, and including the movie and the "deleted scene" from the Holiday Special that never made it to animation), "Two-Face" obviously follows on directly from Pretty Poison, the Ra's stuff is an arc in and of itself (this time stretching into both Superman and Batman Beyond), and there's a six-episode arc involving Batgirl.

Of course, some other stuff doesn't flow as neatly - Thorne and Daggett, in particular, don't seem to have any continuity whenever they show up.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Thorne kind of does, though not a very cohesive one; spends most of the series being an old school Mafioso whose schemes are constantly thwarted by Batman, trying his darndest not to get involved with Supervillainy. Then he eventually relents because thats not the way the winds are blowing and hires Bane, which still fails (Bane is weirdly pitiful in his first appearance), and is ultimately put away for good once Batwoman shows up because if Thorne could barely hold his empire together with one Bat in the city, he sure as hell can't handle 4.

Dagget, yeah, he only shows up when they needed a scummy businessman for some reason or another.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Bane is weirdly pitiful in his first appearance
I remember Fox massively hyping that episode, and then Bane basically gets taken down without Batman breaking a sweat.

They TRIED to redeem him a bit in a comic sequel to that story, but even there he spends a lot of the time being manipulated by some random runaway.

They never really learned how to write Bane well, is the point.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, in that series, at least. He was terrific in Over the Edge
Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Well, in that series, at least. He was terrific in Over the Edge
Well, yeah, when you're appearing in a dream sequence where you actually get to kill Batman and Gordon, it's a bit easier to come off like a badass.

His best actual appearance might be that hilarious Superman crossover episode.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 AM
Penalty Box

The Underdwellers is a pretty weird, and bad, episode. But after that is POV, which is like Batman by way of Rashomon. I also like the story's focus on Renee Montoya, and the guest spot done by Ron Perlman.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
The Underdwellers is a pretty weird, and bad, episode.
Stay tuned, the WORST is yet to come!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Stay tuned, the WORST is yet to come!
I figure you're probably talking about either "The Forgotten" or "I've Got A Batman In My Basement."

It's a good job you've got "Two-Face" coming up, as otherwise that early stretch of episodes is pretty tough going.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Honestly, I don't even mind Underdwellers or Forgotten (wherein Being Batman is so ingrained into his mind that even amnesia doesn't stop him from being Batman).

Be a Clown or I've Got Batman in my Basement, however...

Tags
animation , anime , cartoons , disney afternoon , fear of new threads , funny pictures , mickey , no animes allowed , real ghostbusters