The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned

I think you're overreacting a little. The Lynch-directed episodes are generally agreed to be the best in the series, though I can understand you thinking they're a little out-of-sync given that he'd throw out entire pages of the script to shoot whatever he felt like. (The never-ending scene with the Coop and the octogenarian waiter and Andy doing his dizzy-walk being examples of this. They're also examples of Lynch's sense of humor when it works, imo.) The first half of Season Two departs from Season One as the series' gaining momentum moves it away from its soap opera roots to become more of a supernatural thriller, but I think by the end you'll find that its excellent on its own terms.

Trivia Time: The actress that plays Donna Hayward's wheelchair-bound mom is actually Zooey Deschanel's mother. Her parents are tight with Lynch.

Trivia Time Two: Laura Palmer's mom and Donna's dad played George Costanza's fiancee Susan's parents on Seinfeld.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Space dad

Trivia Time Three: The guy who plays Leland is also the president of this great nation in its struggle against the Soviet zeppelin/psychic/squid army.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Inscaper

Leland is in all manner of goodness.

He's going to be on Dollhouse this season!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Even more trivia time: the creepy kid hanging out at the old folk's home early on in season 2 is Lynch's son! You can tell because he's basically Lynch in miniature. The same part in Twin Peaks: FWWM was played by his nephew.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:33 AM
kevin, tix, five

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch it all, probably by the end of this week, but I'm just not sure what exactly is going on with the style of the show.
Seriously, no one will think less of you if you only make it about half way through. Don't torture yourself just to be able to say you watched it all.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
Seriously, no one will think less of you if you only make it about half way through. Don't torture yourself just to be able to say you watched it all.
At the halfway point, though, is one of the two good episodes in the season (along with the final one). Even though they forced Lynch to jump the shark, they jumped it beautifully.

The problem is less in the shark jumping itself than in everything that happens before and after.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

The supposed "shark jump" is one of the best things to happen on the show. It's a shame that Lynch is so hung up on his gimmicked ambiguity that he can't recognize an effective plot development. They even built the movie around it!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:18 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
The supposed "shark jump" is one of the best things to happen on the show. It's a shame that Lynch is so hung up on his gimmicked ambiguity that he can't recognize an effective plot development. They even built the movie around it!
That being said, like I noted above the execution is not the problem. It was a fantastic episode. (Probably my 2nd favorite after the final one.) The only problem is that Lynch never intended it to happen, so afterwords the show just drifted aimlessly.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

So I broke down and bought the FWWM DVD again. NOW WE'RE NOT GONNA TALK ABOUT JUDY IN FACT WE'RE NOT GONNA DISCUSS JUDY AT ALL. I BIN TO THEIR MEETINS. David Bowie's Southern accent lol.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Inscaper

That scene kicks so much ass it's not even funny.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
That scene kicks so much ass it's not even funny.
The whole movie kicks so much ass it's not even funny. Twin Peaks was an interesting TV show with some Lynch flavoring. Fire Walk With Me was a full blown David Lynch movie, on par with his standard work.

There's just no comparison. Unless the TV series is your first Lynch experience, it will inevitably feel a bit watered down compared to his movies.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:04 AM
kevin, tix, five

This is the first place, among real life friends and internet friends, that I've ever heard much support for FWWM. You're all on notice.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
You're all on notice.
For having good taste?

I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't like Fire Walk With Me if you also liked, say, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Lost Highway, etc.

Twin Peaks: FWWW is pretty standard Lynch, wheras the Twin Peaks television show (while often entertaining in the context of it being a show broadcast on network TV) is just not up to his usual standards.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 AM
kevin, tix, five

I don't know, I haven't seen it myself and I wasn't serious, but this is still the most support I've ever seen for FWWM. My other Lynch-lovin' friends regard it with disdain. Not as much disdain as the bulk of season 2, but they certainly don't hold it up with his other movies. Just making that observation.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Ok, quick question about this shark jumping thing. I just watched the episode where BOB IS AN EVIL SPIRT AND HE TAKES OVER BODIES or whatever was revealed in the police station. Was that what you were all talking about, or was it something else that I'll surely know when it happens?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Gesundheit!

Hunh, I thought the first half of the season was very much in the spirit of season 1, at least from what I remember. It's only after BIG GAME-CHANGING EVENT that the show turns into a shitty sitcom.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM

From your post, I'm guessing that I haven't gotten to the point yet because it seems like I'd have noticed it.

Edit: Also, is Fire Walk With Me required watching, or does the show actually end at the end of season 2? I'm watching this off the Gold Box version they released a few years ago, but I don't think FWWM is in it.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Wait.... nevermind. I think I just witnessed it.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
A No.1

And what was that, dear Andy?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok, quick question about this shark jumping thing. I just watched the episode where sometime my arms bend back was revealed in the police station. Was that what you were all talking about, or was it something else that I'll surely know when it happens?
It's not so much a single story point as a sharp decline in quality all around. It's not the supernatural aspect that irks people, but the fact that the series just starts sucking and wandering around scratching itself.

FWWM was a New Line movie and wasn't on the box set. It's its own DVD, which would worth picking up for the awesome documentary extra even if it weren't attached to a great movie.

Cheer up, though -- before the release of the Gold Box the pilot episode as aired hadn't been released on home video in the US well... ever. The original Season One set just started on the first episode after the pilot, a shame seeing as the original pilot is in effect one of the best Lynch movies.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Inscaper

True story I paid 40 dollars for the hong kong import of the pilot when the first season was released.

Man I miss the boom days of DVD.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Edit: Also, is Fire Walk With Me required watching, or does the show actually end at the end of season 2?
At the very least, Fire Walk With Me is more worth watching than the latter half of season 2. It's directed by creator David Lynch himself (who you might have noticed is generally the director of almost all of the best episodes), and it's a prequel centering around Laura Palmer with lots of direct connections to the final episode of the TV show. If you like Twin Peaks at all, I'd say it's definitely worth watching.

Be warned, though: Twin Peaks the TV show is a very toned down version of Lynch's general weirdness, whereas FWWW is more in line with a typical Lynch movie. In other words, it's fucking bizarre. But also awesome.

If you like FWWW, you might want to try some of his other movies as well, like Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, or Mulholland Drive. (I also like Inland Empire, but it's really long and so strange as to not be a good place to start. Also Eraserhead, which, while short, is basically just a stream of consciousness nightmare.)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:45 AM

Bob is Leeland. This was the point I imagine you folks call the shark jump.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who phrased it like that, and it retrospect I was wrong. Lynch didn't want to ever reveal that, but the network forced him into it. However, that episode itself is fantastic and completely works. It feels like something Lynch knew himself the whole time, even if he didn't intend to tell anyone. (If you watch any of his movies you'll see that he likes to leave a lot of mysteries unsolved.)

However, be prepared: Except for the last episode, pretty much every episode from here on out is pretty terrible.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 AM
kevin, tix, five

Quote:
This was the point I imagine you folks call the shark jump.
Yup, that's where I'd stop watching it if I were you. I loved that episode, and wanted to stab myself with every episode I tried to watch afterward. Also, I want to make some clever joke about how your text is turning white, but... meh.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Scrub That Shit Down

Oh hey, maybe this should have gone in here. Pretty much everything in this thread is accurate, but now I want to know more about the production issues and behind-the-scenes drama. Is there any good resource for that beyond Wikipedia and IMDB? Fire Walk With Me is going to the top of my netflix queue, right after I send back Blue Velvet.

I have no idea what to expect from Blue Velvet.

Edit: Huh, apparently there was a 2 hour pilot I missed? That's not the same as FWWM, is it? Is there any place to see it? Doesn't seem to be on CBS.com, where I saw the rest of the show.

Last edited by JCDenton; 01-30-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDenton View Post
Oh hey, maybe this should have gone in here. Pretty much everything in this thread is accurate, but now I want to know more about the production issues and behind-the-scenes drama. Is there any good resource for that beyond Wikipedia and IMDB? Fire Walk With Me is going to the top of my netflix queue, right after I send back Blue Velvet.

I have no idea what to expect from Blue Velvet.

Edit: Huh, apparently there was a 2 hour pilot I missed? That's not the same as FWWM, is it? Is there any place to see it? Doesn't seem to be on CBS.com, where I saw the rest of the show.
I think the pilot movie was in the R2 dvd set but not the R1, possibly due to rights issues(I believe it's on the deluxe Gold Box set, though). It's pretty essential, as it sets up the all the characters and the ongoing plot.

The other interesting thing about the pilot is it was sold on VHS as a standalone movie for the European market, with an alternate ending which wraps up the entire story. The extra footage was reused as Cooper's Red Room dream in episode three of the series.

Here's the original pilot ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCX9btvgR8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-PwHC6oPQ
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Gesundheit!

Oh hey I forgot we had a thread for this show. Even though I've posted in it before.

I'm watching through with my wife, who's never seen the series, and it's literally been 10 years since I originally finished it. My friends and I had to hunt down season 2 on VHS and everything.

Five episodes in and I'm really surprised at how well it holds up. From a cinematography, writing, humor and acting perspective this almost wouldn't be out of place airing on television today. Even the "bad" actors like Bobby Briggs and Leo Johnson are so over-the-top that they contribute to the sense of heightened reality. I know the magic doesn't last but it's still like visiting an old friend.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Sudden chomper

Weird, I just started watching this show for the first time over the weekend and now it turns out we have a really old thread for it. I picked up the first season on iTunes in high definition, which I realize is kind of a crazy thing to do with a TV show from 1990, but it actually looks kind of cool. Not "good", but it's a nice clean transfer that really lets the "80s TV" feel shine through. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first, since the first 30 minutes of the pilot is basically just a lot of people crying, but as soon as agent Dale Cooper shows up things get really, really good. I've watched the double-length pilot and the second episode so far, and it's just amazing how much sleeping around is happening in this town. Also, what's his name the trucker thug succeeds in being really fucking creepy, despite the fact that this is a show in a major network from 20 years ago and I know that they can't actually show you anything too gross or disturbing. Still, the implications are pretty nasty, and I'll admit that the bit where Cooper pulls the letter out from under the prom queen's fingernail had us all squirming.

I really want to avoid spoilers for the show, so I probably won't be checking this thread much until I'm done with at least the first season, but I did have a question about how far I should bother watching. The were talking about Twin Peaks on the Bombcast recently, and it sounds like David Lynch left the show after one season, at which point things maybe fell apart? The second season was compared to Lost, in that it apparently has a lot of weird stuff thrown in just for the sake of being weird which may or may not have been invented at the last second. I'm definitely going to watch the first season, but are the movies or the second season essential viewing? Disorganized/improvised storytelling kind of pisses me off, but if season two has some really great moments it might be worth putting up with. I'm kind of watching this show to get a sense of its place in television and cinema history, since so many different shows, movies and games have taken inspiration from it. But if the first season is the most important and best-written bit of Twin Peaks, I might just stop there.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I really want to avoid spoilers for the show, so I probably won't be checking this thread much until I'm done with at least the first season, but I did have a question about how far I should bother watching.
There'll be an episode where everything literally, deliberately stops happening. Stop there. I haven't gotten to season 2 in my rewatch but I remember a good chunk of the early going being pretty surreal and great.

Tags
gravity falls for adults , illseeyouagainin25years , it is happening again