The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-26-2016, 05:13 PM

The Halo Effect by Phil Rosenzweig is definitely one of the best social science books I've come across. It's not too jargony or heavy going. It's about people's delusions of what makes businesses successful but this book could apply to any type of organization: school, church, nonprofit, family, political campaigns and your anime club.

A sample:

Quote:
Barry Staw, then at the University of Illinois and later at the University of California, conducted an experiment in which groups of participants were asked to estimate a company's future sales and earnings per share based on a set of financial data.

Afterward, he told some of the groups they had performed well, making accurate estimates of sales and earnings per share, and told other groups they had performed poorly–but Staw did so completely at random.

In fact, the "high-performing groups" and the "low-performing groups" had done equally well in their financial calculations; the only difference was what Staw told them about their performance.

Then he asked the participants to rate how well their groups had done on a range of issues. The results? When told they had performed well, people described their groups as having been highly cohesive, with better communication, more openness to change, and superior motivation. When told they had performed poorly, they recalled a lack of cohesion, poor communication and low motivation. Staw concluded that people attribute one set of characteristics to groups they believe are effective, and a very different set of characteristics to groups they believe are ineffective. That's the Halo Effect in action.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
The Halo Effect by Phil Rosenzweig is definitely one of the best social science books I've come across. It's not too jargony or heavy going. It's about people's delusions of what makes businesses successful but this book could apply to any type of organization: school, church, nonprofit, family, political campaigns and your anime club.

A sample:

I don't believe psychology studies anymore
Old 12-27-2016, 10:07 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
You should take that skepticism and apply it to any study that hasn't been reproduced, psychology or not.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 AM
is Earnest

Wrong thread
Old 12-27-2016, 10:12 AM

Mister Monkey by Francine Prose
Old 12-27-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Started reading Cibola Burn.

This is not a series that is content to keep from escalating.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Well, he did make an entire subspecies of humanity based on her. So his opinion runs hot and cold.
And then they turned out to be one of the two Usually Evil subspecies, and the only "good" one we see in the narrative turned out to be a wicked traitor, so there you go.

Basically, once Evil Hillary and Evil Malala showed up, I was worried the book was about to go into an irretrievable nosedive, and I was right.

In retrospect, the bit that annoys me the most is at the end of Part Two, where the survivors are sitting around on the ruins of the moon, being all sad that everyone else is dead. And then they decide the reason for this is because people aren't mentally cut out for living in space, which okay, that seems reasonable. So then, instead of trying to get advice from the last living psychiatrist, who is sitting right there, everyone else decides that the solution to this is clearly to just start fucking around with the human genome. It was like every major character had to suddenly make the same bizarre leap of logic so Stephenson could cram his goofy sci-fi RPG setting into the third part.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Started reading Cibola Burn.

This is not a series that is content to keep from escalating.
Unfortunately, Cibola Burn is the low point of the series, in my opinion. But Nemesis Games and (so far, I'm not done with it yet) Babylon's Ashes come roaring back in some major, game-changing ways.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, to be fair, the human race was down to seven at that point. Buggering up DNA to make Custom Babies was kind of a high priority any way you slice it.

The thing that got me was that they gave cart blanche to let the murdering cannibal do whatever she wanted when making her Super Baby children.

And hey, guess what, she made an entire race of supervillains
Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Invincible Spinning Skull

Ancillary Justice by Anne Lecke.

Most of the sci-fi and fantasy I've read is 40+ years old at this point, and written from one particular perspective. So I asked FB friends to recommend me some spacey sci-fi stuff written within the past 20 years or so, and got a ton of recommendations. Compiled them into a spreadsheet, went to B&N, and scanned until I settled on this one. So far, really liking it.

Although I find that I now tend to associate any discussion of gender with tumblr snowflakes and I kinda wish I'd never made that association

(Also reading: Dracula, because strangely enough I've never completed a full read of it)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Mystery Contraption

What's interesting is that it's completely impossible to tell if Ancilliary Justice has passed the Bechtel Test.

Also, less prominently, while the Raddch have pretty much completely done away with male pronouns, they haven't for regular nouns. So you sometimes see instances of male terms being used but female ones awkwardly sidestepped. Really reinforces how awkward their androgyny is for non-Raddch.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Trying to squeeze in one more book for the year, and it's the sequel to one of my favorite reads of the year (might be my favorite): Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Outraged!

Just finished Stilleto the second of Daniel O'Malley's books about British secret agent X-men combating and/or working with Belgian super geniuses who are really into elective surgery (to give themselves retractable poison stingers and whatnot),

Not quite as engaging as The Rook, and the ending was pretty rushed, but highly recommended if any of the above sounds interesting to you.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:56 PM
<- hairdo c. 1929

Finally finished Godel, Escher, Bach after a month. The stuff about cognition was very interesting, but the book overall felt kind of disjointed. Hofstadter spent a long time talking about formal systems in order to establish his points about Godel's Theorem, but then it didn't feel like understanding Godel's Theorem was that important to understanding his points about thought and brains, which was the stuff I was interested in. All the talk about formal systems was maybe necessary in order to understand Godel's Theorem, but it really slowed the book down and didn't really contribute all that much in the end.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Christmas Witch

halfway through Cryptonomicon. It really hits a good mixture of math-nerdery plus historical fiction nerdery. I'm learning way more about WWII than I ever did in school (even giving consideration to the fictive parts!)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee Escher View Post
Finally finished Godel, Escher, Bach after a month. The stuff about cognition was very interesting, but the book overall felt kind of disjointed. Hofstadter spent a long time talking about formal systems in order to establish his points about Godel's Theorem, but then it didn't feel like understanding Godel's Theorem was that important to understanding his points about thought and brains, which was the stuff I was interested in. All the talk about formal systems was maybe necessary in order to understand Godel's Theorem, but it really slowed the book down and didn't really contribute all that much in the end.
I tried reading I am a Strange Loop once and i had similar impressions. Didn't finish it, though.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee Escher View Post
I'd recommend against starting any of his other books then. They get even more meandering with even more assorted-theory-describing. Hmm, there might be an exception or two. Maybe Le Ton beau de Marot?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Re: Seveneves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
So then, instead of trying to get advice from the last living psychiatrist, who is sitting right there, everyone else decides that the solution to this is clearly to just start fucking around with the human genome. It was like every major character had to suddenly make the same bizarre leap of logic so Stephenson could cram his goofy sci-fi RPG setting into the third part.
Out-of-universe, I wasn't surprised. Stephenson strikes me as somebody who firmly believes in personal choice and decentralized economy. I'm sure he thinks the swarm and its decentralized economy would have worked flawlessly if it hadn't been for the influence of Evil!Clinton. So giving each Eve the freedom to choose the traits of their perfect race of human beings is exactly what I'd expect him to do.

In-universe, well, at that point they're desperate, and they need to start cranking human beings yesterday who have a high chance of survival, so any compromise is an acceptable compromise. And their safety mechanism is broken: the geneticist who could have overruled any bad idea is nuts enough to create her own race of freaking Time Lords.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Much of the final act seems to hinge around simply accepting that Moira is a wizard.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Evocative

I've started doing occasional book reviews for Tor.com.

Here are my first and my second.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:08 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Ancillary Justice by Anne Lecke.

[...]

Although I find that I now tend to associate any discussion of gender with tumblr snowflakes and I kinda wish I'd never made that association
Not sure how far you've gotten with it by now, D. For myself I can say that "she"-the-universal-pronoun fell into the background maybe 1/3 of the way into the first book, and as the second and third books went along I noticed that Leckie provided enough description of most of the characters that I could form a decent picture of them and gender was a side thought, if it was pertinent at all (pretty much never). A fun effect.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Most of the sci-fi and fantasy I've read is 40+ years old at this point, and written from one particular perspective. So I asked FB friends to recommend me some spacey sci-fi stuff written within the past 20 years or so, and got a ton of recommendations. Compiled them into a spreadsheet, went to B&N, and scanned until I settled on this one. So far, really liking it.
If you like Ann Leckie, I suspect you would like the late Iain M. Banks as well. Similar progressive space opera, though with more of an edge to it. Use of Weapons is the only one I've read so far, and it took a little while to get going, but the payoff is incredible.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:06 AM
<- hairdo c. 1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugu13 View Post
I'd recommend against starting any of his other books then. They get even more meandering with even more assorted-theory-describing. Hmm, there might be an exception or two. Maybe Le Ton beau de Marot?
I wasn't really aware of his other books, and after this one, I don't think I'll be picking any of them up. Again, interesting, but not worth the time.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:37 PM
← ↔ →

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post

I enjoyed both your reviews! Neither book sounds like it's for me, but I appreciated your insights nonetheless. Keep it up!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post

Woah cool!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:32 AM

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Remembers Love

About a hundred pages into Lord Foul's Bane. I'm probably going to have to live with my distaste of old-school fantasy names on this one, aren't I?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Oh, man, that is the least of the Thomas Covenant books' problems.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:51 PM
Remembers Love

I think I might drop it. I can't handle all this *deep lore.*

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book