The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Mystery Contraption

Unfortunately, one of the bits it lost was the one that explained why Supes suddenly became much weaker near the climax. It also lost my two favourite scenes, one of which being pretty important
Old 11-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Scary Punk Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It also lost my two favourite scenes, one of which being pretty important
Elucidation please.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Elucidation please.
At the very end, the bit where Superman dies and goes to Kryptonian Plasma Heaven is removed from the movie, so he dies and then just abruptly stands back up, losing a lot of the emotional core of him meeting Jor-El and refusing Heaven in order to save his friends.

Also the movie doesn't stop an exciting action sequence to Supes can tell someone that they're stronger than they think.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Scary Punk Ghost

Oh yeah those were both really good.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The Book of Knights by Yves Meynard. Excellent take on Vance, but more inwardly focused. A real delight to read, but maybe some nasty antisemitism maybe. Still, hungry for more by this author but it seems like the majority of his work is in French Candian french.
I don't remember any antisemitism, though it's been years since I read the book. Perhaps I was reading it with wrong lens? I vaguely recall an unpleasant merchant in the book? I think the peril of writing this sort, which plays off so many stock character types, does run a somewhat high risk of inadvertently reproducing stereotypes.

I've met Meynard a few times (and am even Facebook friends with him) and have found him a genuinely kind and pleasant person, so I'm inclined to believe anything wrong is more to do with inattention than with racism. I could be wrong, of course, but I would be deeply shocked.

His most recent novel, Chrysanthe, was written and published in English. It was originally going to be three books, but ended up as one very long novel.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 PM
#deadfish2017

There's The Rule with its precepts and commentaries which, to me at least, analoged closely to the Torah. All the followers of The Rule are oppressive at best and hypocritical at worse.

I don't think it was intended and I certainly don't want to place anything on the author, but as you said things can get tricky with archetypes.

In any case if you're in contact with him will you pass along that I found his book to be deeply moving and beautiful? I can't wait to dig into his other English works.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan probably wins the 'Best title for a book ever' contest.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:33 AM
This Guy

I can't think of a more purely enjoyable reading experience than Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books. Within the first 40 pages of Lost in a Good Book, the second title in the series, Thursday has done a TV interview about the events of the first book that was censored to the point that they couldn't actually talk about the events of the first book and she has had a conversation with her fictional lawyer through footnotes where she finds out she is on trial for a bookcrime for changing the ending of Jane Eyre in the first book. It is consistently amusing and inventive and is just filled with slightly biting joy.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:59 AM

I read more of these Ray Bradbury stories, and came across one really, really good one (it isn't sci-fi, either): Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby's is a Friend of Mine

And one weird religious one: The Man. I say weird religious because the plot of it is basically Jesus comes to visit a planet just before this space crew arrives from Earth, haughty non-believer space captain gets mad and declares it a hoax, then leaves to chase after him performing miracles on planet to planet when he starts to believe it was real. With a really obvious moral of "you should have never lost faith lmao how shameful" near the end.

I did like this other story he did that must have been around the Martian Chronicles time, because it has some similar (now completely scientifically unsound) concepts behind it. I forget the name, but the basic plot is: In the future there's some weird plague, and Earth's quarantine zone is Mars, where they just dump any carriers/people expressing symptoms and leave them some supplies until they wither away/die from it. But the twist is when some guy with crazy psychic powers comes in. He can use them to basically create extremely powerful mass hallucinations, so all these homesick exiles fight over him.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:07 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
I really loved that book, the way it pulls off such an ambitious structure while still reading like a straightforward, exciting mystery.

I'm trying to read Their Eyes Were Watching God but I'm finding the dialect impenetrable. Maybe when I'm less distracted by school ...
Old 11-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished Long Dark Teatime of the Soul and still don't know how to compare it to the first book. It's easier to follow since it really only concerns two characters instead of a half-dozen, and while the conclusion kind of comes out of nowhere, it's resolved in a generally satisfactory, if anticlimactic, way. Almost entirely off handedly. The book, on the whole, feels like a proto-American Gods.

I've read the book about a half dozen times by this point and I still don't know what's up with that eagle, however.

Anyway, it is, for all intents and purposes, December, and that means Hogfather time!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Unreliable Narrator

He got questions about the eagle and he said the markings on the wing were supposed to let you know it was the military airplane transformed by a god into a bird.

That's really all I remember from a USENET post I read 20 years ago...
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well that certainly explains some things.

Not so much why it went after Dirk at the end, though.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:02 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Anyway, it is, for all intents and purposes, December, and that means Hogfather time!
Good point! At the very least it's time to give a holiday-themed book a go. Last year NOS4A2 got nowhere beyond the initial section with the young girl and the bridge, but maybe I'll try it again.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:27 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Finished Long Dark Teatime of the Soul and still don't know how to compare it to the first book. It's easier to follow since it really only concerns two characters instead of a half-dozen, and while the conclusion kind of comes out of nowhere, it's resolved in a generally satisfactory, if anticlimactic, way. Almost entirely off handedly. The book, on the whole, feels like a proto-American Gods.
I had the Dirk Gently books shoved at me back in my nerdy teenage years. I can see where people who had read and loved the Hitchhiker books would assume they were getting more cynical surrealism, but they're a huge departure. The first feels more like structural experimentation than a comedy, and the second is... Odd. It's just odd. I suppose they could be described as novels of ideas.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
He got questions about the eagle and he said the markings on the wing were supposed to let you know it was the military airplane transformed by a god into a bird.

That's really all I remember from a USENET post I read 20 years ago...
Doesn't Thor straight up say this at the end when he is yelling at Odin about how he is undoing all the weird shit he did?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Mystery Contraption

He does, but he doesn't really specify which weird thing is which, and he doesn't mention turning any jets into birds. Or vice versa. I thought it was Kate's apartment that was demolished by suddenly having a plane inside it, since she was kind of annoyed that Odin conjured kitten in there, and Thor is pretty indelicate and put the wrong things in the wrong places.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Evocative

Quote:
There's The Rule with its precepts and commentaries which, to me at least, analoged closely to the Torah. All the followers of The Rule are oppressive at best and hypocritical at worse.

I don't think it was intended and I certainly don't want to place anything on the author, but as you said things can get tricky with archetypes.

In any case if you're in contact with him will you pass along that I found his book to be deeply moving and beautiful? I can't wait to dig into his other English works.
Ah - As I said, it's been a while since I read it. And happy to pass on the message.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I really loved that book, the way it pulls off such an ambitious structure while still reading like a straightforward, exciting mystery.
It's great so far. I'm already quarter of the way through
Old 11-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Evocative

Quote:
He was really pleased to hear it via FB message.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM
gatchapon 3*

Finished Brent Weeks's book, which was fantastic. Now starting the new Tad Williams book, signaling the return to the world of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn! super excited.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Coincidentally, I got Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar Christmas special, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlepig.

I'm pretty excited to dig into it, but no matter how much I like the series (and it's a lot) I don't think I'm ever going to get over the fact that it's not entirely dedicated to being a supernatural legal drama.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 PM
gatchapon 3*

i'll bring it up with him. I totally agree, so hopefully the next ones will get more gumshoe action. they're apparently not all chronological, which helps.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Now reading Catalyst by James Luceno. Getting ready for Rogue One
Old 12-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Finished Brent Weeks's book, which was fantastic. Now starting the new Tad Williams book, signaling the return to the world of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn! super excited.
Interesting... I haven't read a Tad Williams book since the second Shadowmarch book, but this is the sort of thing I could get into. That said, I remember so little of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn that I should probably reread them first, and ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:15 PM
This Guy

I was also contemplating a Memory, Sorrow & Thorn reread. Its been a long time.

I still love Thursday Next. I'm about halfway through my reread of Lost in a Good Book. In the space of about twenty pages Next finds out that Agents Phodder and Kannon have been killed and we the line "growth for its own sake is the philosophy of cancer" which I am sure is from somewhere else, but it is great nonetheless.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Out Of Warranty

I just started Seveneves. Since December is a slow month for reading, this will take me a while.

But! I went in as blind as I could - I haven't even read the book synopsis - and I did want to say that Stephenson does know how to open a book. The first paragraph really grabs you.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I was also contemplating a Memory, Sorrow & Thorn reread. Its been a long time.

I still love Thursday Next. I'm about halfway through my reread of Lost in a Good Book. In the space of about twenty pages Next finds out that Agents Phodder and Kannon have been killed and we the line "growth for its own sake is the philosophy of cancer" which I am sure is from somewhere else, but it is great nonetheless.
It's paraphrased from a quote by Edward Abbey in Desert Solitare
Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I just started Seveneves. Since December is a slow month for reading, this will take me a while.

But! I went in as blind as I could - I haven't even read the book synopsis - and I did want to say that Stephenson does know how to open a book. The first paragraph really grabs you.
Boy does it.

Try to avoid reading the back cover, it really lays everything out.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book