The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

Default No TV and no beer makes Homer... Something something.

Finished off The Shining. Hadn't read it before, and I haven't seen the movie, but I knew the gist of it.

I was quite surprised that there was no Bloodevator, nor does Jack ever helpfully point out where Johnathan is, neither does he indicate the drawbacks of rigorous labor without recreation.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Inscaper

That's still my platonic ideal of a popular novel. It's one of the most deftly plotted books of all time, and a perfect example of character, theme and story reinforcing one another.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:39 AM
is Earnest

Kubrick's adaptation is wildly different and excellent for totally different reasons.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Safe Space

It's a good book if you ignore the gaping plot hole - the winter caretakers are required to periodically release pressure on the boiler, lest it explode. The book explains that Delbert Grady, a former caretaker, murdered his family and committed suicide while under the possession of the spirits in the hotel. If so, no one was around to take care of the boiler.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Mystery Contraption

While true, the summer caretaker mentions that the boiler has been getting steadily more unreliable as the years wore on, and I don't think the book mentioned WHEN Grady was in charge, it easily could have been before the boiler was an issue. Or else Grady could have killed his family long before killing himself. The Overlook Manager was generally pretty on-top of things like that.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Jump and shoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Knuckle View Post
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
I wasn't expecting this to turn into the Atlas Shrugged of the scientific method, but here we are.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 AM
Gesundheit!

Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries is teaching me a lot about New Zealand South Island history and geography, and it's a great, dense murder mystery to boot. I'm not nearly schooled enough in astrology to grasp the thematic framing device, but it just seems like an extra layer to appreciate if you've done your homework.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Faffing about

I finished The Wise Man's Fear and I'm pretty sure the final book in this series needs to be around 1,100 pages of Kvothe getting punched in the face.

Come on, you know I'm right!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I finished The Wise Man's Fear and I'm pretty sure the final book in this series needs to be around 1,100 pages of Kvothe getting punched in the face.

I know you're right, but others on here might disagree with us.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Faffing about

It's for his own good, really.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post

I stand by my conviction that the correct ending to the series is a revelation that his entire story is bullshit and he's just a sad delusional bartender trying to be something he's not.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, the whole framing story implies pretty strongly that that IS what happens
Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Unreliable Narrator

He's not the man he used to be, for sure.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM

Rothfuss and Cronin need to come out with the last books in their respective series already. This is getting ridiculous (no, I haven't read Wise Man's Fear yet. I'm waiting till the last one comes out so I can do one big read through)
Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 PM
100% All Original

I'd had it with Super Best Ever Ladies Man Wizard after Name of the Wind.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM
le petite mort

Solitayre, Ruthfuss is pretty much the bestest, right? (And I mean, I know that he's kind of a Gary Stu, or at least Kvothe's narration of his biography makes him out to be so, but it's still a really engrossing yarn.)

Also, outside of reading research stuff for work, I'm reading the copy of Ancillary Justice that CaliScrub sent me. It really does live up to the hype.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Faffing about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Solitayre, Ruthfuss is pretty much the bestest, right? (And I mean, I know that he's kind of a Gary Stu, or at least Kvothe's narration of his biography makes him out to be so, but it's still a really engrossing yarn.)
Definitely, but it does not change my opinion on him, re: facepunching.

This series might need its own thread.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default I'm not optimistic

I really hope at some point Butcher calls Dresdan gets on all the hypocritical bullshit he spewing
Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I really hope at some point Butcher calls Dresdan gets on all the hypocritical bullshit he spewing
In the later books of the series, yes. Dresden gets taken to task on his views and doubly so after his enemies use them against him.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 PM
This Guy

I need help. I keep reading terrible David Eddings books just because I got them for Christmas. The good news is I only have two more, the bad news is I am going to read two more of these.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I need help. I keep reading terrible David Eddings books just because I got them for Christmas. The good news is I only have two more, the bad news is I am going to read two more of these.
I've got a soft spot for Eddings myself...
Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 PM
This Guy

I could understand that. I might think differently if I read them at 15 instead of nearly 30. Its also The Mallorean, the first couple books of which are about two thirds just characters saying "Remember last time when we did this exact same thing?"
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I could understand that. I might think differently if I read them at 15 instead of nearly 30. Its also The Mallorean, the first couple books of which are about two thirds just characters saying "Remember last time when we did this exact same thing?"
Yeah, the Mallorean and the Tamuli are pretty much retreads
Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 AM
Unreliable Narrator

I read the Belgariad when I was 16 (and it was year 1986), so I was happy for epic fantasy that wasn't Thomas Covenant or Shannara. Had to actually wait for Enchanter's End Game to be published. Tad William's Dragonbone Chair didn't come out until I was graduating high school and the modern fantasy boom was slowly spinning up.

I was disappointed by his follow-ups, though I liked The Diamond Throne( first Sparhawk book) when it was knights having manly adventures up until they went on an epic fantasy quest and it got all Belgariad again.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Outraged!

My first Eddings book was Redemption of Althalus, which wasn't related to any of his other stuff. I thought it was quite good. I next picked up Belgarath the Sorcerer at a library and didn't realize it was basically a "here's what happened between the pages of this established series" so was completely lost. Went back and read what I missed in college and thought it was pretty good.

Picked up the first book of the The Dreamers and it was fine but then the second book was about 50% rehashed material from the first book so I gave up on him.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:23 PM
We just don't know.

Finally finished The City and the City. Took a long time to get through... I really wasn't feeling it at first, and I had a different assigned book to read that kept me from it. But towards the middle and end it picked up a lot. It's still Mieville and I still think he's just OK.

Think I'll finally knock off BLOM's Seconds next, maybe a few other comics.

My friends are losing their minds for Ancillary Justice and its sequel. Anyone know anything about them? I see the third comes out in October so I'll probably just wait 'til then, but that's close...
Old 04-27-2015, 04:40 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Finally finished The City and the City. Took a long time to get through... I really wasn't feeling it at first, and I had a different assigned book to read that kept me from it. But towards the middle and end it picked up a lot. It's still Mieville and I still think he's just OK.

Think I'll finally knock off BLOM's Seconds next, maybe a few other comics.

My friends are losing their minds for Ancillary Justice and its sequel. Anyone know anything about them? I see the third comes out in October so I'll probably just wait 'til then, but that's close...
Ancillary Justice is fantastic. It plays with gender, identity, and, for lack of a better term "imperial colonialism" issues, in a way that I haven't seen a sci fi book do before. Because of that, it can be a little hard to get into and to parse what's going on at the beginning of the book, but it really picks up steam.

On the other hand, I felt that Ancillary Sword was something of a let down. The over-arching narrative established in Ancillary Justice sort of grounds to a halt in its sequel, and while the sequel explores a lot of the same issues as Ancillary Justice, it does so in a more boring setting/way. I'm hoping the third one will be a return to form.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 AM
is Earnest

I'm reading Crossing California, which is surprisingly hilarious.

Also, I got Scott McCloud's The Sculptor and Miranda July's The First Bad Man for my birthday, so I'm gonna read them soon.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Ancillary Justice is fantastic. It plays with gender, identity, and, for lack of a better term "imperial colonialism" issues, in a way that I haven't seen a sci fi book do before. Because of that, it can be a little hard to get into and to parse what's going on at the beginning of the book, but it really picks up steam.

On the other hand, I felt that Ancillary Sword was something of a let down. The over-arching narrative established in Ancillary Justice sort of grounds to a halt in its sequel, and while the sequel explores a lot of the same issues as Ancillary Justice, it does so in a more boring setting/way. I'm hoping the third one will be a return to form.
Oh lame. Well, just remember the Southern Reach. Just remember the Southern Reach...
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Oh lame. Well, just remember the Southern Reach. Just remember the Southern Reach...
I may have come off harsher than I intended on the sequel: both books are definitely worth reading, just temper your expectations going from book one to book two.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book