The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
Peach, i'm curious, what you don't like about the ending of Planetes? It's my favorite part of it!
I like all of the Toy Box crew, but Hachimaki's story is the emotional and narrative center of the book. Once his arc's wrapped-up and he's off to Jupiter, there isn't a character strong enough to really carry the narrative. I like the stuff that's a denouement to the main story, but Yukimura's attempt at a pivot is a non-starter.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 AM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
I like all of the Toy Box crew, but Hachimaki's story is the emotional and narrative center of the book. Once his arc's wrapped-up and he's off to Jupiter, there isn't a character strong enough to really carry the narrative. I like the stuff that's a denouement to the main story, but Yukimura's attempt at a pivot is a non-starter.
Ah, i see. Since i really like Fee's story arc and the last chapter that brings it all together, the last volume of Planetes is my favorite one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster
To be fair, my comparing Vagabond and Vinland Saga was meant to be sorta crass and unfair. I like both, but I gradually lost interest in VS.
Thanks for the answer! And yeah, gradually i lost interest in Vinland Saga too. I think it could have ended already - with the story arc of the main character completed, it seems he'll start changing the world instead of changing himself, and i don't know if this will be as interesting as previous stuff.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM
d.o_o.b

Anybody here read Wolfsmund? The first volume seemed kind of interesting, but it also seemed like the sort of thing that could just wallow in misery, so I'm not sure if I want to start picking it up or not.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Are You Sure About That?

IIRC it's only a couple of volumes long, if its the medieval military manga I'm thinking of. I haven't read it myself though, just seen it pop up on Batoto.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Is there not one thing

I am retracting any good thing said about Wolfsmund, as I had apparently forgotten one of the chapters.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 AM

For me, my favourite will always be Naruto
Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Ghost Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post

Some of you may recognize Sexy Voice and Robo as "that thing that I'm pretty sure Caithness' avatar is from."
Not quite, but very close. It's actually from this, but I picked it because it reminds me of my favorite scene in Sexy Voice and Robo.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 AM
poisonous thread snake

Seven Seas has licensed Devilman G, because nothing helps break a franchise in the West like trying to sell it's weakest, most played-out incarnation, I guess?

I'm sure the rights to the original are an expensive clusterfuck, and likewise I know the hype for Go Nagai isn't exactly what it was a few years ago, but I think an attractive set of the original Devilman (or any of the major Nagai franchises, frankly) would sell like crazy.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Seven Seas has licensed Devilman G, because nothing helps break a franchise in the West like trying to sell it's weakest, most played-out incarnation, I guess?

I'm sure the rights to the original are an expensive clusterfuck, and likewise I know the hype for Go Nagai isn't exactly what it was a few years ago, but I think an attractive set of the original Devilman (or any of the major Nagai franchises, frankly) would sell like crazy.
I'll assume that, as with Ashita no Joe, the license cost is totally out of proportion with the expected sales in America.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I know that was the snag with Rose of Versailles for a long time.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Find Your Reason

Devilman is incredibly violent and sexual and a work of rebellion against humanity's baser instincts. It's surreal, it's bizarre, and it's challenging, visually and thematically, and Nagai lets his id run wild. It'd be a very tough sell over here.

Devilman Lady is ridiculously violent, sexual, and sexually violent and its points are hermetic and obscure to anyone who hasn't read Devilman first --and even then, it's extremely difficult to stomach the depths Nagai goes to deliver them. It'd be impossible to sell here.

Devilman G is the pokemon deconstruction of Devilman and reconstructs it as a standard shonen series. Its sexuality is 100% aimed at fanservice, it has naked underage characters, it has to-be-the-best fighting scenes, and it has The Power of Friendship. It'll sell fine.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM
d.o_o.b

I really need to get around to finding books 3-5 of Kodansha's bilingual Devilman release.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I know that was the snag with Rose of Versailles for a long time.
Whatever happened with that? Wasn't Udon supposed to publish it last year?
Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 PM

Following their release of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer it looks like Seven Seas has licensed Satoshi Mizukami's latest work Spirit Circle for later this year.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It's already on Crunchyroll, wonder if they bought CR's translation for print?
Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 PM
twinkling photon

Zef's assessment of Devilman is correct, but I'd like to throw Devilman G a bone: it looks fantastic. The sort of lively, gonzo inkwork Nagai was doing in the first Devilman, but with much stronger artistic fundamentals propping it up. The story is probably rote trash, but at least it's well-drawn rote trash.

I'd post an example here, but I couldn't find anything in the first page of Google Search results that didn't have a titty hangin out. Sometimes the titty had an eyeball, or a mouth! What a comic, what a world

I still gotta push though the rest of Devilman Lady. The art's my biggest obstacle there-- Nagai is a much better draftsman than he was when he did Devilman, but it seems to have sucked all of the life out of his linework. Figures that used to be charmingly wonky are now really stiff & plastic-looking. The dude still can't draw breasts to save his life.

Sidenote: If anybody has the pages of [unknown manga] that were posted here, I'd really appreciate them -- those links are busted. It was a little sequence of a kid reading Devilman for the first time & spending the rest of the day in a daze, trying to soak it all in. It rang true.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I don't think so, they state in the announcement that it will have a new translation and lettering.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Zef's assessment of Devilman is correct, but I'd like to throw Devilman G a bone: it looks fantastic. The sort of lively, gonzo inkwork Nagai was doing in the first Devilman, but with much stronger artistic fundamentals propping it up. The story is probably rote trash, but at least it's well-drawn rote trash.
Eh, I like Devilman's original artwork because it's more concerned with describing movement and emotions much more vividly than, er, actual anatomy. And there are sequences where he's very clearly trying to evoke Tezuka's wilder visuals and they work.

Just don't... ask him to be consistent with Ryo's face. Man designed a cartoon he himself could never draw right.

Quote:
I'd post an example here, but I couldn't find anything in the first page of Google Search results that didn't have a titty hangin out. Sometimes the titty had an eyeball, or a mouth! What a comic, what a world
It's also gory as fuck. Probably worse than Devilman or Lady in that regard.

Quote:
I still gotta push though the rest of Devilman Lady. The art's my biggest obstacle there-- Nagai is a much better draftsman than he was when he did Devilman, but it seems to have sucked all of the life out of his linework. Figures that used to be charmingly wonky are now really stiff & plastic-looking. The dude still can't draw breasts to save his life.
Oh man, that's exactly right. I was having trouble trying to describe the artistic shift between Devilman and DL, but "plastic-looking" is perfect. Where Devilman was fluid, with serpentine bodies swaying and waving all over the place, where anatomical accuracy was secondary to the artistic intent, DL is just a bunch of blow-up dolls where the ridiculous anatomy has no excuse.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post

Sidenote: If anybody has the pages of [unknown manga] that were posted here, I'd really appreciate them -- those links are busted. It was a little sequence of a kid reading Devilman for the first time & spending the rest of the day in a daze, trying to soak it all in. It rang true.
I am politely skeptical of Devilman G.. I personally find the drawing to be pretty sterile and typical. Also I think some of the odd visual stiffness in Devilman Lady may be attributed to the use of assistants- I imagine by that point in his career, Nagai was working in more of a studio system.

I'm 95% sure the manga you're asking about with the kid reading Devilman is "Kingyo Used Books" by Seimu Yoshizaki.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I don't think so, they state in the announcement that it will have a new translation and lettering.
Yeah, they retranslate(d) Biscuit Hammer and Arpeggio of Blue Steel too. On the other hand, the Kodansha print titles on CR do just use the existing translation, but they get another editing pass and/or translation notes added, and at least in Attack on Titan's case use the final tankobon pages instead of the serialized (like, the hype notes in the margins get removed, haven't noticed any huge art changes).

I love this kind of minutia.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM

Hey, I know Junji Ito has his fans here. Having previously only read Amigara Fault and a few little slices of his other work, I've somehow ended up with a couple of his books in my backlog recently. Currently working through Tomie (which is great, I did not expect it to hinge on the title character having Wolverine powers) with Yon & Mu and Uzumaki on the backburner. I have to say, the bigass hardcover deluxe editions they did for Gyo, Tomie, and Uzumaki are really spoiling me with their slick design and velvety sheen. I'm a sucker for a nice oversized hardcover.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Hey, I know Junji Ito has his fans here. Having previously only read Amigara Fault and a few little slices of his other work, I've somehow ended up with a couple of his books in my backlog recently. Currently working through Tomie (which is great, I did not expect it to hinge on the title character having Wolverine powers) with Yon & Mu and Uzumaki on the backburner. I have to say, the bigass hardcover deluxe editions they did for Gyo, Tomie, and Uzumaki are really spoiling me with their slick design and velvety sheen. I'm a sucker for a nice oversized hardcover.
While on the whole I'm not a huge Ito fan, I really enjoyed Tomie back in the (ComicsOne? maybe?) edition from a number of years ago. That new edition looks beautiful, definitely going to pick it up.

Like teg I am also interested in the status of the RoV manga. I have the RightStuf subs, and a large-size compiled edition of the Japanese manga, but having the manga in English would be lovely.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Not a Beer

Those hardbacks look like the same treatment that Gundam: The Origin got, and those are some damn lovely books.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Little Waves

I can't figure out why the Wandering Son translation translates every word except "hai" and "arigato gozaimasu." It has notes in the back explaining honorifics but nothing on that particular choice.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Remembers Love

My sister got me Yon & Mu for Christmas. It's great if you're into Ito, on account of it using the exact same tone and visual language as his horror stuff:

Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM

'Hai' is iffy to translate. Because if you machine translate it, it means 'yes', but it's far more frequently used as a simple neutral acknowledgement rather than something that affirms to the positive. That said, a writer with a high school diploma should be able to find the words to properly translate that with context.

'Arigatou Gozaimasu' is part of the vast world of extremely polite Japanese keigo, and English just has no real good way of dealing with keeping the tone of very formal, very polite Japanese. But this is one of the simpler words/phrases to deal with and again, someone can find the English words to portray polite and sincere gratitude appropriately.

Both these issues are less about translation issues and more whoever this is, is doing the age old scanlation thing where the translators keep random words/phrases intact in a bid to be as obnoxious as possible.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Little Waves

Yeah, it sticks out because the translation seems very professional and well done otherwise.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Is there not one thing

On the plus side of things I have been digging into the backlog of Viz translations time forgot with Sanctuary, Buronson's paean to youth and eternal fascism.

e: That the politicians and yakuza are classical narcissists is to be expected. What took a minute to settle in was how the police pursue the yakuza not because of their crimes or immorality, but because of pride.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
'Arigatou Gozaimasu' is part of the vast world of extremely polite Japanese keigo, and English just has no real good way of dealing with keeping the tone of very formal, very polite Japanese. But this is one of the simpler words/phrases to deal with and again, someone can find the English words to portray polite and sincere gratitude appropriately.
English has plenty of politeness/familiarity-dependent phrases to express gratitude. The above could easily be translated anywhere from "Thank you [so/very] much!" to "I am most grateful."

Hell, even "I thank you for your kindness" could work, but I dunno if that's more "doumo arigato gozaimashita" territory.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
'Hai' is iffy to translate. Because if you machine translate it, it means 'yes', but it's far more frequently used as a simple neutral acknowledgement rather than something that affirms to the positive. That said, a writer with a high school diploma should be able to find the words to properly translate that with context.
'kay

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations