The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3721  
Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Peach's Avatar
Peach Peach is offline
Remembers Love
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo and Gamoorhead
Posts: 3,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
Peach, i'm curious, what you don't like about the ending of Planetes? It's my favorite part of it!
I like all of the Toy Box crew, but Hachimaki's story is the emotional and narrative center of the book. Once his arc's wrapped-up and he's off to Jupiter, there isn't a character strong enough to really carry the narrative. I like the stuff that's a denouement to the main story, but Yukimura's attempt at a pivot is a non-starter.
Reply With Quote
  #3722  
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 AM
juca juca is offline
Zen-vergonha
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
I like all of the Toy Box crew, but Hachimaki's story is the emotional and narrative center of the book. Once his arc's wrapped-up and he's off to Jupiter, there isn't a character strong enough to really carry the narrative. I like the stuff that's a denouement to the main story, but Yukimura's attempt at a pivot is a non-starter.
Ah, i see. Since i really like Fee's story arc and the last chapter that brings it all together, the last volume of Planetes is my favorite one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster
To be fair, my comparing Vagabond and Vinland Saga was meant to be sorta crass and unfair. I like both, but I gradually lost interest in VS.
Thanks for the answer! And yeah, gradually i lost interest in Vinland Saga too. I think it could have ended already - with the story arc of the main character completed, it seems he'll start changing the world instead of changing himself, and i don't know if this will be as interesting as previous stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #3723  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM
liquid's Avatar
liquid liquid is offline
d.o_o.b
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 4,829
Default

Anybody here read Wolfsmund? The first volume seemed kind of interesting, but it also seemed like the sort of thing that could just wallow in misery, so I'm not sure if I want to start picking it up or not.
Reply With Quote
  #3724  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is online now
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere cold. And frosty.
Posts: 20,786
Default

IIRC it's only a couple of volumes long, if its the medieval military manga I'm thinking of. I haven't read it myself though, just seen it pop up on Batoto.
Reply With Quote
  #3725  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is online now
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,568
Default

I am retracting any good thing said about Wolfsmund, as I had apparently forgotten one of the chapters.
Reply With Quote
  #3726  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 AM
Emanuel's Avatar
Emanuel Emanuel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15
Default

For me, my favourite will always be Naruto
Reply With Quote
  #3727  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Caithness's Avatar
Caithness Caithness is offline
Ghost Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post

Some of you may recognize Sexy Voice and Robo as "that thing that I'm pretty sure Caithness' avatar is from."
Not quite, but very close. It's actually from this, but I picked it because it reminds me of my favorite scene in Sexy Voice and Robo.
Reply With Quote
  #3728  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 AM
ghosttaster's Avatar
ghosttaster ghosttaster is offline
poisonous thread snake
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,762
Default

Seven Seas has licensed Devilman G, because nothing helps break a franchise in the West like trying to sell it's weakest, most played-out incarnation, I guess?

I'm sure the rights to the original are an expensive clusterfuck, and likewise I know the hype for Go Nagai isn't exactly what it was a few years ago, but I think an attractive set of the original Devilman (or any of the major Nagai franchises, frankly) would sell like crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #3729  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is online now
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Seven Seas has licensed Devilman G, because nothing helps break a franchise in the West like trying to sell it's weakest, most played-out incarnation, I guess?

I'm sure the rights to the original are an expensive clusterfuck, and likewise I know the hype for Go Nagai isn't exactly what it was a few years ago, but I think an attractive set of the original Devilman (or any of the major Nagai franchises, frankly) would sell like crazy.
I'll assume that, as with Ashita no Joe, the license cost is totally out of proportion with the expected sales in America.
Reply With Quote
  #3730  
Old 01-14-2017, 12:26 PM
The Raider Dr. Jones's Avatar
The Raider Dr. Jones The Raider Dr. Jones is offline
Oily Butt Thing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bull City
Posts: 10,427
Default

I know that was the snag with Rose of Versailles for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #3731  
Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is online now
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 27,850
Default

Devilman is incredibly violent and sexual and a work of rebellion against humanity's baser instincts. It's surreal, it's bizarre, and it's challenging, visually and thematically, and Nagai lets his id run wild. It'd be a very tough sell over here.

Devilman Lady is ridiculously violent, sexual, and sexually violent and its points are hermetic and obscure to anyone who hasn't read Devilman first --and even then, it's extremely difficult to stomach the depths Nagai goes to deliver them. It'd be impossible to sell here.

Devilman G is the pokemon deconstruction of Devilman and reconstructs it as a standard shonen series. Its sexuality is 100% aimed at fanservice, it has naked underage characters, it has to-be-the-best fighting scenes, and it has The Power of Friendship. It'll sell fine.
Reply With Quote
  #3732  
Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM
liquid's Avatar
liquid liquid is offline
d.o_o.b
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 4,829
Default

I really need to get around to finding books 3-5 of Kodansha's bilingual Devilman release.
Reply With Quote
  #3733  
Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 PM
teg teg is offline
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the Tim Hortons Capital of Canada
Posts: 9,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I know that was the snag with Rose of Versailles for a long time.
Whatever happened with that? Wasn't Udon supposed to publish it last year?
Reply With Quote
  #3734  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 PM
Seven Seven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,038
Default

Following their release of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer it looks like Seven Seas has licensed Satoshi Mizukami's latest work Spirit Circle for later this year.
Reply With Quote
  #3735  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is online now
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere cold. And frosty.
Posts: 20,786
Default

It's already on Crunchyroll, wonder if they bought CR's translation for print?
Reply With Quote
  #3736  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Zodar's Avatar
Zodar Zodar is offline
twinkling photon
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: It's all in the numbers.
Posts: 7,371
Default

Zef's assessment of Devilman is correct, but I'd like to throw Devilman G a bone: it looks fantastic. The sort of lively, gonzo inkwork Nagai was doing in the first Devilman, but with much stronger artistic fundamentals propping it up. The story is probably rote trash, but at least it's well-drawn rote trash.

I'd post an example here, but I couldn't find anything in the first page of Google Search results that didn't have a titty hangin out. Sometimes the titty had an eyeball, or a mouth! What a comic, what a world

I still gotta push though the rest of Devilman Lady. The art's my biggest obstacle there-- Nagai is a much better draftsman than he was when he did Devilman, but it seems to have sucked all of the life out of his linework. Figures that used to be charmingly wonky are now really stiff & plastic-looking. The dude still can't draw breasts to save his life.

Sidenote: If anybody has the pages of [unknown manga] that were posted here, I'd really appreciate them -- those links are busted. It was a little sequence of a kid reading Devilman for the first time & spending the rest of the day in a daze, trying to soak it all in. It rang true.
Reply With Quote
  #3737  
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 PM
Seven Seven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
It's already on Crunchyroll, wonder if they bought CR's translation for print?
I don't think so, they state in the announcement that it will have a new translation and lettering.
Reply With Quote
  #3738  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is online now
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 27,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Zef's assessment of Devilman is correct, but I'd like to throw Devilman G a bone: it looks fantastic. The sort of lively, gonzo inkwork Nagai was doing in the first Devilman, but with much stronger artistic fundamentals propping it up. The story is probably rote trash, but at least it's well-drawn rote trash.
Eh, I like Devilman's original artwork because it's more concerned with describing movement and emotions much more vividly than, er, actual anatomy. And there are sequences where he's very clearly trying to evoke Tezuka's wilder visuals and they work.

Just don't... ask him to be consistent with Ryo's face. Man designed a cartoon he himself could never draw right.

Quote:
I'd post an example here, but I couldn't find anything in the first page of Google Search results that didn't have a titty hangin out. Sometimes the titty had an eyeball, or a mouth! What a comic, what a world
It's also gory as fuck. Probably worse than Devilman or Lady in that regard.

Quote:
I still gotta push though the rest of Devilman Lady. The art's my biggest obstacle there-- Nagai is a much better draftsman than he was when he did Devilman, but it seems to have sucked all of the life out of his linework. Figures that used to be charmingly wonky are now really stiff & plastic-looking. The dude still can't draw breasts to save his life.
Oh man, that's exactly right. I was having trouble trying to describe the artistic shift between Devilman and DL, but "plastic-looking" is perfect. Where Devilman was fluid, with serpentine bodies swaying and waving all over the place, where anatomical accuracy was secondary to the artistic intent, DL is just a bunch of blow-up dolls where the ridiculous anatomy has no excuse.
Reply With Quote
  #3739  
Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 AM
ghosttaster's Avatar
ghosttaster ghosttaster is offline
poisonous thread snake
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Zef's assessment of Devilman is correct, but I'd like to throw Devilman G a bone: it looks fantastic. The sort of lively, gonzo inkwork Nagai was doing in the first Devilman, but with much stronger artistic fundamentals propping it up. The story is probably rote trash, but at least it's well-drawn rote trash.

I'd post an example here, but I couldn't find anything in the first page of Google Search results that didn't have a titty hangin out. Sometimes the titty had an eyeball, or a mouth! What a comic, what a world

I still gotta push though the rest of Devilman Lady. The art's my biggest obstacle there-- Nagai is a much better draftsman than he was when he did Devilman, but it seems to have sucked all of the life out of his linework. Figures that used to be charmingly wonky are now really stiff & plastic-looking. The dude still can't draw breasts to save his life.

Sidenote: If anybody has the pages of [unknown manga] that were posted here, I'd really appreciate them -- those links are busted. It was a little sequence of a kid reading Devilman for the first time & spending the rest of the day in a daze, trying to soak it all in. It rang true.
I am politely skeptical of Devilman G.. I personally find the drawing to be pretty sterile and typical. Also I think some of the odd visual stiffness in Devilman Lady may be attributed to the use of assistants- I imagine by that point in his career, Nagai was working in more of a studio system.

I'm 95% sure the manga you're asking about with the kid reading Devilman is "Kingyo Used Books" by Seimu Yoshizaki.
Reply With Quote
  #3740  
Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Joe McGuffin Joe McGuffin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
It's already on Crunchyroll, wonder if they bought CR's translation for print?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I don't think so, they state in the announcement that it will have a new translation and lettering.
Yeah, they retranslate(d) Biscuit Hammer and Arpeggio of Blue Steel too. On the other hand, the Kodansha print titles on CR do just use the existing translation, but they get another editing pass and/or translation notes added, and at least in Attack on Titan's case use the final tankobon pages instead of the serialized (like, the hype notes in the margins get removed, haven't noticed any huge art changes).

I love this kind of minutia.
Reply With Quote
  #3741  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM
teg teg is offline
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the Tim Hortons Capital of Canada
Posts: 9,032
Default

Hey, I know Junji Ito has his fans here. Having previously only read Amigara Fault and a few little slices of his other work, I've somehow ended up with a couple of his books in my backlog recently. Currently working through Tomie (which is great, I did not expect it to hinge on the title character having Wolverine powers) with Yon & Mu and Uzumaki on the backburner. I have to say, the bigass hardcover deluxe editions they did for Gyo, Tomie, and Uzumaki are really spoiling me with their slick design and velvety sheen. I'm a sucker for a nice oversized hardcover.

Reply With Quote
  #3742  
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Rosewood's Avatar
Rosewood Rosewood is online now
The metal babble flees!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California, Land of Sea and Fire
Posts: 4,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Hey, I know Junji Ito has his fans here. Having previously only read Amigara Fault and a few little slices of his other work, I've somehow ended up with a couple of his books in my backlog recently. Currently working through Tomie (which is great, I did not expect it to hinge on the title character having Wolverine powers) with Yon & Mu and Uzumaki on the backburner. I have to say, the bigass hardcover deluxe editions they did for Gyo, Tomie, and Uzumaki are really spoiling me with their slick design and velvety sheen. I'm a sucker for a nice oversized hardcover.
While on the whole I'm not a huge Ito fan, I really enjoyed Tomie back in the (ComicsOne? maybe?) edition from a number of years ago. That new edition looks beautiful, definitely going to pick it up.

Like teg I am also interested in the status of the RoV manga. I have the RightStuf subs, and a large-size compiled edition of the Japanese manga, but having the manga in English would be lovely.
Reply With Quote
  #3743  
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Kirin's Avatar
Kirin Kirin is online now
Not a Beer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 19,485
Default

Those hardbacks look like the same treatment that Gundam: The Origin got, and those are some damn lovely books.
Reply With Quote
  #3744  
Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,258
Default

I can't figure out why the Wandering Son translation translates every word except "hai" and "arigato gozaimasu." It has notes in the back explaining honorifics but nothing on that particular choice.
Reply With Quote
  #3745  
Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Peach's Avatar
Peach Peach is offline
Remembers Love
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo and Gamoorhead
Posts: 3,089
Default

My sister got me Yon & Mu for Christmas. It's great if you're into Ito, on account of it using the exact same tone and visual language as his horror stuff:

Reply With Quote
  #3746  
Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM
WisteriaHysteria's Avatar
WisteriaHysteria WisteriaHysteria is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,787
Default

'Hai' is iffy to translate. Because if you machine translate it, it means 'yes', but it's far more frequently used as a simple neutral acknowledgement rather than something that affirms to the positive. That said, a writer with a high school diploma should be able to find the words to properly translate that with context.

'Arigatou Gozaimasu' is part of the vast world of extremely polite Japanese keigo, and English just has no real good way of dealing with keeping the tone of very formal, very polite Japanese. But this is one of the simpler words/phrases to deal with and again, someone can find the English words to portray polite and sincere gratitude appropriately.

Both these issues are less about translation issues and more whoever this is, is doing the age old scanlation thing where the translators keep random words/phrases intact in a bid to be as obnoxious as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #3747  
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,258
Default

Yeah, it sticks out because the translation seems very professional and well done otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #3748  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is online now
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,568
Default

On the plus side of things I have been digging into the backlog of Viz translations time forgot with Sanctuary, Buronson's paean to youth and eternal fascism.

e: That the politicians and yakuza are classical narcissists is to be expected. What took a minute to settle in was how the police pursue the yakuza not because of their crimes or immorality, but because of pride.
Reply With Quote
  #3749  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is online now
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 27,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
'Arigatou Gozaimasu' is part of the vast world of extremely polite Japanese keigo, and English just has no real good way of dealing with keeping the tone of very formal, very polite Japanese. But this is one of the simpler words/phrases to deal with and again, someone can find the English words to portray polite and sincere gratitude appropriately.
English has plenty of politeness/familiarity-dependent phrases to express gratitude. The above could easily be translated anywhere from "Thank you [so/very] much!" to "I am most grateful."

Hell, even "I thank you for your kindness" could work, but I dunno if that's more "doumo arigato gozaimashita" territory.
Reply With Quote
  #3750  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 PM
teg teg is offline
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the Tim Hortons Capital of Canada
Posts: 9,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
'Hai' is iffy to translate. Because if you machine translate it, it means 'yes', but it's far more frequently used as a simple neutral acknowledgement rather than something that affirms to the positive. That said, a writer with a high school diploma should be able to find the words to properly translate that with context.
'kay
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007