The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Inherently Stealthy

A pasta sauce with Italian sausage, fennel, chili peppers, and roma tomatoes. Also, garlic.

It was delicious!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
so exciting!

My salmon patties cooked to pieces ):

They were still good though!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Grilled some burgers and finished off some leftover Monterey Jack. Nothing too exciting, but man did I feel better after eating. Yay iron!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Soloing work tomorrow and the next day so I can't go out to get food. Thus I have packed lunches! Okay one for me so far, one for fiance who is suffering the same deal but nocturnal.

Anyway!

Things I have to clean:
Rice cooker
George Foreman grill
Spoon
Knife
Spatula

Things I get to eat:
Rice
Salmon
Mushrooms

5:3 isn't too bad. I'll find out how it is tomorrow. When we move and get a dishwasher I'll be able to focus less on minimizing cleanup. Maybe even make the end result bento-cute.

Might cook more later to make the second lunch (and dinner?) and improve the clean:eat ratio.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
This is what happens!

They had some porterhouse steaks on sale at the grocery store the other day I picked one up. I ended up giving it a good coating of coarsely ground peppercorns before pan-frying it to medium rare. I then made a simple gravy using some armagnac (I didn't have any cognac) and milk (didn't have heavy cream). I also briefly cooked some fresh green beans in a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice for a side along with some good french bread. It was delicious.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
oh my car

A big ol' stew, filled with pork chops and caraway seeds and bratwurst and gherkins and potatoes. It was like Oktoberfest in my mouth.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Goodbye!

I'm going to try to hand-make some pasta tomorrow - probably fettuccinne since I don't want to have to bother cutting it too finely. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Edit to avoid double post: fairly well! I made a fettucinne with zucchinni (gah! All these double consonants are messing with my head!) and saffron cream sauce. I had troubles rolling the dough out thin enough - I think it was too dry - so the noodles were a little bit too thick, but still tasty! The GF declared that it was "the nicest meal a boy has ever cooked for her."

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures, but I think I would've had a hard time justifying it to Girl. She knows about you guys, but not how much you mean to me.

*Sniff*

Last edited by KCar; 02-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Formerly known as vlad

For Valentine's Day, i decided to get up early (which never happens) and make chocolate chip cookies for my man. Now, I've never made cookies before, and I don't have a nice mixer machine thing that my mom always had when I was growing up.

It was a rousing success, other than the big mess I made with the hand mixer and a smaller-than-I-should-have-used bowl. I made sure not to overcook the cookies, the last thing I wanted to do, and it paid off. The cookies were moist, soft even after cooling off all the way, chocolatey, and delicious. I'm quite proud of myself, and now I want to try out a bunch of different kinds of cookies! Peanut butter, caramels, snickerdoodles, everything.

For lunch, I made cheese-stuffed turkey burgers (juicy blucey?) on my Foreman, tater tots, and mixed vegetables. They were amazing, and I've got my technique for cheese-stuffed burgers DOWN. I don't know if I'll ever make a burger without cheese inside of it again. I just wish I had used a more interesting cheese (pre-grated Colby Jack...very good, but nothing special). There's always next time!

Anyway, my man appreciated both. It was a really nice Valentine's Day (inbetween tearing up wet carpet in my basement and working at the Mall of America, blah!)
Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Is there not one thing

Buddy of mine managed to score some Branston Pickle, so we celebrated by making a Ploughman's today. I got bread, cheese, onion, radishes and a carrot the size of a newborn at Whole Foods, and we proceeded to make sandwiches so mighty that we were unable to finish them.

Branston Pickle should be in every supermarket in America.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
A tasty beverage

I made some delicious gumbo. omg I was impressed with myself. It was well worth the 2.5 hours it took to make it.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM
borgn

I just finished my monthly steak dinner and it was hhrrrggggllll soo goood. If a little tough - it was a relatively inexpensive cut and I didn't marinate it. What can I say? My moods are capricious. Grilled with a little garlic powder, though, and served with steak fries. Yumpin' yiminy.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
out of how many points?

I had a tuna salad sandwich on some toasted italian bread. In an effort to spice up this rather mundane sandwich I grated some fresh ginger into the tuna salad and damn that transformed it from boring to delicious.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I made a pot roast.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
I made a pot roast.
Where's the monte cristo?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I'm afriad. So very afraid.

However, a co-worker today suggested chicken fried bacon.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Hot sports journalist

I made that smoked salmon chowder recipe again - now that I've modified it a little, it's really good! The baguette was excessive from a dietary standpoint, but so worth it.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey guy.

Aside from two eggs I cooked nothing today, but I cleaned the kitchen like a motherfucker. It is 2/3 spotless, and the final portion will feel my wrath come tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

So maybe every week or every other week, I've been following this pizza dough recipe my sister found. With the cuisinart i's simple, easy and fast. Except tonight I got overconfident and didn't pull the recipe out. "I just made this the other day! I know how it goes!" And I did! Except wires crossed and I used twice as much water. (I use 1 and 1/2 cups of water in my homemade instant ramen recipe, for example) "Why is it not coming together into a ball... oh, crap." After contemplating with my sister over how to rescue it, I added a cup of flour to the processor, and pulled the sticky mess out of the bowl (THE BLOB THAT ATE MANHATTAN! Or as it was climbing up the feed tube, I said "It wants out!"), and probably kneaded in at least another half cup of flour before letting it rise as normal.

And it turned out just fine! I used a bigger sheetpan instead of the pizza pan, and it was still nice and fluffy, crisp on the bottom. (plus, hey, once you put tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni on top of anything, it's going to be just fine) Of course, now I'm wondering if I can recreate it without the harrowing mess.

Baking is usually considered a science, but considering the myriad of things you can do with flour and yeast and water (and eggs and milk and butter) in varying quantities, you're going to stumble on some decent combination no matter what you do.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
punch a fish, make a wish

we bought eggs for the first time in months, so I made an omelet! stuffed with mozzarella, blue cheese, and a little packet of crushed red pepper from Round Table I found in the back of a drawer. served with toast, of course.

I am good at makin' eggs.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Shares?

Blue cheese? YUCK!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
punch a fish, make a wish

yeah, gorgonzola would've been more appropriate, but we ran out :'{
Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
We just don't know.

I have blue cheese. Not just like crumbles or whatever. We have a huge damned wheel of blue cheese.

A little blue cheese goes a long way. I have no idea how we're going to use all this blue cheese.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Hooray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I have blue cheese. Not just like crumbles or whatever. We have a huge damned wheel of blue cheese.

A little blue cheese goes a long way. I have no idea how we're going to use all this blue cheese.
Make some home-made salad dressing with blue cheese in it; or crumble into salads.

Then eat more salads.

Also: can't you freeze some of it? Especially if you use it in later in omelettes or dressings where any loss of texture is moot?

I wish I had your problems!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Shares?

You guys and your blue cheese are grody.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post

blue cheese is awesome. eat it and be merry. slice up some apples really thin, and go to town.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump's Avatar
Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump is offline
Ailes Shake Your ButtButt

Blue cheese goes really well with beef.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
A tasty beverage

Blue cheese is amazing.
I'm just a huge fan of cheese on toast, but blue cheese is really great in salads, and melted on stuff. Just do some googlin. There is that Sara Lee chip recipe that everyone hates that I've always wanted to try.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Blue cheese goes really well with beef.
Now I want a steak. =(
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Goodbye!

I made beer bread yesterday, to go with a beautiful Dutch tomato soup my friend made. Beer bread is a sibling to soda bread, using the carbonation of the beer to help the dough rise (not a full rise - there's no yeast, just baking powder). The bread didn't knock my socks off like I hoped I would - it was just the basic Joy of Cooking recipe - but it was nevertheless warm out of the oven, crisp, and delicious with soup.

Something about cooking with beer makes me giddy.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Something about cooking with beer makes me giddy.
I should really come over for dinner sometime.

Tags
cooking , faaaaabulous , tyrant photos