The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
How come there is a robot with laser eyes fighting people with civil war era weaponry?
The question you should be asking is, How come I, R.R. Bigman, haven't watched Castle in the Sky yet?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Cold Blooded

I don't like Ghibli movies much.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Then the answer to your first question will disappoint you anyway.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Last night I finally watched my copy of Hideaki Anno's live-action Cutie Honey adaptation and... I kind of loved it. It's a cheap, weird mess, but it's also super inventive and kinetic - it feels like one the goofy Ultraman student films the Aoi Honno version of Anno would have made. There are a couple of scenes where Honey is animated frame-by-frame using digitally manipulated photos of the actress so that she moves like, well, a Gainax anime; there's one fight where they keep cutting to shots of ragdoll goons being thrown into the air whenever Honey punches them, the whole thing is just a hoot.

Also, the cool laptop girl from Shin Godzilla is in it as Honey's angry cop friend, and there's a scene where she gets drunk and sings karaoke.

ALSO also, the Making Of feature on the DVD is hilarious - my favorite moments being 1) Hideaki Anno awkwardly coaching Honey's actress Eriko Sato (who is wearing only a bath towel) through her Honey Flash pose; and 2) Sato being introduced to the film crew while in-costume for the scene where Honey runs through the streets of tokyo wearing nothing but underwear and a garbage bag
I felt much the same way. It was one of the only times I think "live action anime" was done well.

There is also a 3-episode series called Re: Cutie Honey by Gainax that was fun, and could potentially have been intended to follow after the movie. It's...very Gainax. More latter-day, extremely cartoony Gainax, but Gainax all the same.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
How come there is a robot with laser eyes fighting people with civil war era weaponry?
Straight answer:

Because the robot originates from the floating city of Laputa, a hyper-advanced civilization that has fallen into ruin and is now abandoned. During its wars with other countries, Laputa razed the surface kingdoms, so they were much further behind in technological development and barely have combustion engines and flying machines at this point.

Also because Miyazaki basically invented the sword vs laser setting that birthed Final Fantasy. The Floating Castle and its wayward robot are direct homages to Laputa.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Yay, I managed to catch Moonlight. I think it's as good as everyone is saying it is. The first two chapters were good but it's in the third where this movie became excellent for me. I was surprised when it ended.

The one element that didn't work for me was Naomie Harris and her character. One, she could not pull off that accent. Two, I had no idea why her character was so messed up or why she was fundamental to the story, even though she's the kid's mom. It seemed like she was there to add more misery to the proceedings as a stereotypical drug-addicted Bad Mom. I felt she needed to be fleshed out more.

Granted, a lot of things are not fleshed out in this movie (why does the drug dealer decide to mentor the kid?) and it felt like certain parts were meant to be ambiguous, including the main character himself.
Hey I just got back from this. So so(?). Still ruminating.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Not a Beer

I don't even remember the mecha cameo in Ocean Waves (that's the english title of Umi ga Kikoeru, right?), were they watching one on TV or something?

(One could also argue the God Soldier in Nausicaa is a robot, though it's clearly mostly organic and now I'm just nerd-picking.)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I don't even remember the mecha cameo in Ocean Waves (that's the english title of Umi ga Kikoeru, right?), were they watching one on TV or something?
Yes and yes.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

TWO CARTOONS DOWN, loved them both.

Actually, "Loved" might be selling Batman: Return of the Caped Crusader short. It's easily in the running for being not only my favorite Superhero movie, but perhaps favorite movie in general. It managed to hit the tone of Batman '66 so perfectly that the act that Joker didn't have an obviously painted mustache was incredibly distracting.

Also loved, and loved a lot more then I was expecting, was Dragonball: Battle of the Gods. From the title and the description on the back of the case, I was expecting a dramatic fighting anime about lots of Muscley Punchmen fighting FOR THE FATE OF THE EARTH.

Instead it was a comedy about everyone trying to keep a grouchy space-cat from destroying the earth on an irritated whim, with surprisingly little of the run time being dedicated to superhero fights. And when the fight finally does break out, it's because of a stolen pudding cup.

Really goes to show how much better Toriyama is at comedy then anything else.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
TWO CARTOONS DOWN, loved them both.

Actually, "Loved" might be selling Batman: Return of the Caped Crusader short. It's easily in the running for being not only my favorite Superhero movie, but perhaps favorite movie in general. It managed to hit the tone of Batman '66 so perfectly that the act that Joker didn't have an obviously painted mustache was incredibly distracting.

Also loved, and loved a lot more then I was expecting, was Dragonball: Battle of the Gods. From the title and the description on the back of the case, I was expecting a dramatic fighting anime about lots of Muscley Punchmen fighting FOR THE FATE OF THE EARTH.

Instead it was a comedy about everyone trying to keep a grouchy space-cat from destroying the earth on an irritated whim, with surprisingly little of the run time being dedicated to superhero fights. And when the fight finally does break out, it's because of a stolen pudding cup.

Really goes to show how much better Toriyama is at comedy then anything else.
I was also disappointed that the Joker didn't have a mustache. Enjoyed the movie. I haven't Battle of Gods but I have seen the Bingo Dance dubbed and I still laugh every single I time watch it. Speaking of anime, Octo, important question, do you like puppets?

Last edited by figcube; 01-12-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM
This Guy

I watched The Last King on Netflix, a movie about how Game of Thrones doesn't have enough skiing. Which after I watching I agree is undeniably true.

Its actually about twelfth century Norway and a baby king.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by figcube View Post
Octo, important question, do you like puppets?
How could you even question that?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
How could you even question that?
Then you have to at least watch the first episode of Thunderbolt Fantasy. Not a movie but I just realized it might be up your alley. You can watch it on Crunchyroll.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
the terrible secret of Studio Ghibli is that Miyazaki has great ideas but is terrible at stringing them together into a coherent film. The good shit is all Isao Takahata.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Satanic Mechanic

I find that the strength of the writing in ghibli movies is less important to me than the emotional impact of the characters.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
the terrible secret of Studio Ghibli is that Miyazaki has great ideas but is terrible at stringing them together into a coherent film. The good shit is all Isao Takahata.
In that famous interview with Oshii where he criticizes Ponyo, they say Takahata used to help Miyazaki with structure. Even if this is true, i think Miyazaki finally did a coherent movie (without Takahata's help) in The Wind Rises.

Before that there are plenty of coherent movies too (to me, at least): Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Castle Of Cagliostro, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figcube View Post
Then you have to at least watch the first episode of Thunderbolt Fantasy. Not a movie but I just realized it might be up your alley. You can watch it on Crunchyroll.
I'll second figcube's recommendation! Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I felt much the same way. It was one of the only times I think "live action anime" was done well.
Good "live action anime" makes me think of Sion Sono's movies. There's a sensibility there that is very anime, though i can't put my finger on it.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Not a Beer

I enjoy Miyazaki's incoherent strings of good ideas.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I enjoy Miyazaki's incoherent strings of good ideas.
Even Ponyo?

(That's the only Miyazaki movie i consider incoherent. It has been a while since i saw some of them though.)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Find Your Reason

Wait, "incoherent"? I find the narratives of Nausicaa, Laputa, Mononoke, and Spirited Away, at least, fairly straightforward and well constructed. I'll give you Porco Rosso, Howl, and Kiki, though, and I haven't watched Totoro in two decades so I really can't tell. But while Howl is considerably disjointed and self-indulgent, Porco Rosso and Kiki get away with it on pure charm.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Goodbye!

For me, where Miyazaki's movies don't hold together in explicit plotting they tend to make up for in "magical" coherence - even though I don't always know the rules, things seem to fit in a kind of unspoken fairy tale logic. That works for me - I can understand where others might disagree.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 PM
This Guy

Porco Rosso isn't anywhere close to incoherent, its straightforward and somewhat episodic, it's picaresque.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Yeah, I had Howl in mind specifically. It's the Miyazaki film that I feel best exemplifies his kind of "a bunch of cool ideas/scenes that are then connected rather tenuously" thing. Some movies, he's totally guilty of it. Other movies, not so much. Porco Rosso flows really well, though it's also kind of a movie where not a lot happens (which I'm fine with). I just feel like Takahata has the most consistently watchable output of the two.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Yeah, I had Howl in mind specifically. It's the Miyazaki film that I feel best exemplifies his kind of "a bunch of cool ideas/scenes that are then connected rather tenuously" thing. Some movies, he's totally guilty of it. Other movies, not so much. Porco Rosso flows really well, though it's also kind of a movie where not a lot happens (which I'm fine with). I just feel like Takahata has the most consistently watchable output of the two.
I feel like this opinion might be unpopular, since a bunch of people seem to not like My Neighbors the Yamadas and Pom Poko. People never talk about Horus because it is old and there's no way to see it, i guess.

(I love these movies though, especially the Yamadas.)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM

I'm surprised that people don't like The Yamadas. I love that one.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Hellish Brand

I wasn't too impressed with The Drop. It was kind of boring (what the hell was the point of the movie?) and the performances weren't really enough to carry it through.

Tom Hardy is in this and he's generally awesome but I think I've seen him play way too many intense characters to totally buy the super sincere and almost dense guy he plays here. And later on when it's revealed he's actually a hard ass killer, it wasn't surprising.

I also think accents is his weakest skill as an actor. He can do an American accent fine but not a Brooklyn accent (nor a Southern one in Lawless) so it's mostly his own weird hybrid accent that's a bit unintelligible.

By contrast, Matthias Schoenaerts is from Belgium and his American accent is nearly flawless. I also thought he was as good if not better than Hardy here.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 PM
This Guy

Takahata's best movie is one that you never want to watch a second time.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Cold Blooded

To clarify, the only Ghibli movies I've seen are Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away, not any of the really big ones. Maybe they're good!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I wasn't too impressed with The Drop.
I dearly love a couple of scenes in this one, like Bob's little monologue about sin and hell from the end, but yeah, I've never felt the need to watch the whole thing a second time. It's based on a short story -- very short -- and I don't think it benefits much at all from the addition of the inside-job plotline with Gandolfini's character to stretch it out to feature length.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Takahata's best movie is one that you never want to watch a second time.
Ouch, is The Cat Returns really the best he can do?

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road