The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

Default Movie Time: TT mini reviews

How come we didn't have a topic like this already?

I finally saw Poltergeist! Borrowed the Blu-ray off a friend, and the transfer is sharp and detailed, if not super impressive. So yeah, fun seeing all the scenes that have been parodied for the last 26 years. Despite its age, it's a hugely entertaining and creepy horror movie. The practical and miniature effects still looked great.

But what kind of idiots decide to spend another night in that house after they got the little girl back?

Really should have seen this movie sooner.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

on a similar note, I just watched The Shining for the first time ever!

horror films used to be cool, man.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I saw Kung Fu Panda with the folks over Christmas. It had some cool fight scenes and was overall pretty good.

I also saw Wanted. It was a shit-bomb.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Iconoclasm is played out

Primer: Best time travel movie? Fascinated confusion on the first viewing gave way to some real epiphanies the second time through, as I noticed things and started to really put the story together. It's highly rewarding if you're willing to spend some time thinking about it. I need to watch it a couple more times.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM
This is what happens!

I got a three movies for Christmas.

Hellboy 2 on Blu-ray: A lot of fun. I'm a bit disappointed that the Making of Documentary is on DVD though.

The Thing on Blu-ray: One of my all time favorite horror films. Two quick things: 1) I always thought Carpenter did the soundtrack for this movie but it was in fact Ennio Morricone. That synth bass line at the beginning of the main theme tricked me. 2) Matte Paintings? Not so great in HD.

Miller's Crossing: Haven't had a chance to watch it again but I loved it when I rented it a couple years ago.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 PM
23 ski-dook

The Godfather - I checked yesterday, and yeah, it's still good.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Primer: Best time travel movie?
Yes.
Quote:
It's highly rewarding if you're willing to spend some time thinking about it. I need to watch it a couple more times.
Some "help".
Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Primer: Best time travel movie? Fascinated confusion on the first viewing gave way to some real epiphanies the second time through, as I noticed things and started to really put the story together. It's highly rewarding if you're willing to spend some time thinking about it. I need to watch it a couple more times.
Back to the Future. Though I do like Primer.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Soul searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji-Fox View Post
The Godfather II - I checked yesterday, and yeah, it's still good.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 PM
23 ski-dook

I love it more than Godfather Part I, but my sister got me only the first one on DVD.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinaran View Post
How come we didn't have a topic like this already?
I thought the media thread covered this territory. Oh well.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Formerly known as vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I also saw Wanted. It was a shit-bomb.
Hilariously bad. Just...bad. Wow. Like Boondock Saints, it's the kind of movie I would have found cool if I was 13 years old.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey guy.

Power Rangers: The Movie: so, so awful, but really fun to watch and see what exactly you'd go nuts for as a kid. For what it's worth, the guy playing Ivan Ooze is a pretty decent actor! Apparently he was also the priest in Hot Fuzz, so that's pretty cool.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Conquers the World

I watched the Scooby-Doo movie for the first time in years with a friend of mine today, and I realized for the first time that I love that movie. It is truly a labor of love, gratuitous fart scene aside.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

A friend and I used to do something facetious like this on a blog, in the form of MTG cards. For better or for worse, it didn't last long!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Like a Gentry

The Day the Earth Stood Still I'm not going to mark spoilers, because I want to save you all from wasting your money.

I went in expecting a movie worthy of at least a good MST3K-style viewing, but I didn't even get that. What I got was a dry, wholly uninteresting movie with another tired "Humanity is killing the planet!" message. It ditched the "speaking directly to the audience" moment from The Day After Tomorrow's ending, but still somehow faded to black at a disappointing and unsatisfying moment. The only amusing twist here is that it is Keanu Reeves who is sent to cleanse the planet of humanity, thus playing the role of Agent Smith. Although he looks a bit haggard here, Keanu's performance is still exactly what you're expecting.

Now for the positives:
- I was reminded of MST's take on Space Mutiny, in which a character makes regular appearances toward the end of the movie after being explicitly killed. Nobody thinks twice about this fact.
- Keanu asks Jennifer "Eyebrows" Connolly to take him to her leader, which we've been led to assume means the President (who has foolishly left America's well-being in the inept hands of Kathy Bates). But no, she instead takes him to Professor John Cleese, who makes the best of his all-too-short cameo. Me, I don't mind John Cleese being seen as a nation's leader.
-
No joke.

And then there's the worst moment of all. Keanu tells Connolly they need to go to a very important place to meet an informant of his. They pull up into an unknown parking lot, glance up in admiration, and through the windshield's reflection we see.... the Golden Arches. Like a goddamn commercial. "McDonald's?", asks Connolly after an awkward pause long enough to get the enitre 'M' on screen. We all burst out laughing.

The Day Alastor Should Have Stayed Home.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
And then there's the worst moment of all. Keanu tells Connolly they need to go to a very important place to meet an informant of his. They pull up into an unknown parking lot, glance up in admiration, and through the windshield's reflection we see.... the Golden Arches. Like a goddamn commercial. "McDonald's?", asks Connolly after an awkward pause long enough to get the enitre 'M' on screen. We all burst out laughing.
Product placements so are embarrassing.

I think the worst (but for marketers, the best) McDonalds tie-in was Houseguest. It's woven right into the entire plot. The story practically hinges on McDonalds. Watch it for some classic 90s pop culture stuff like "In yo face!" retorts when some kid makes a basket.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Conquers the World

Joe Loves Crappy Movies perfectly captured what made the entire movie so pointless.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Like a Gentry

That's entirely inaccurate.... Keanu is grinning.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
A Real Man

Evil Dead II: Groovy.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Cranky Geezer In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Product placements so are embarrassing.
I don't know, the BK one in Iron Man worked for me because it brought back memories of Family Day near the end of Basic Training and of the first free time we had after getting back from Iraq. It was silly and blatant, but it meshed fine with the character and the story.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 PM
In the Hall of Judgment

Hancock: Frustrating because the "secret twist" halfway through the movie does not bend the plot of the movie, but pretty much starts a new movie completely instead. Doubly frustrating is the fact that they have now decided to base the DVD packaging and marketing around the secret twist instead.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Placeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
Hancock: Frustrating because the "secret twist" halfway through the movie does not bend the plot of the movie, but pretty much starts a new movie completely instead.
The script went thought at least 3 major revisions so that's not really unexpected.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
Hancock: Frustrating because the "secret twist" halfway through the movie does not bend the plot of the movie, but pretty much starts a new movie completely instead. Doubly frustrating is the fact that they have now decided to base the DVD packaging and marketing around the secret twist instead.
Triply frustrating is the fact that that the second half of the movie sucks.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

It might be useful to give you guys some "low-down" on the prestige pictures I've seen for this year so far!

The Wrestler: It has some pretty good wrestling in the ring, but mostly a man wrestles with his own soul. You know, for the critics.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: It's a crime that David Fincher will win something for this maudlin trash (written by: That dude responsible for Forrest Gump) instead of getting some Official Hollywood Recognition for Zodiac.

Here's a couple others I saw recently:

Forbidden Zone: Oingo Boingo makes a movie they think is an approximation of lewd vaudeville. It only kind of succeeds. Danny Elfman plays satan.
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge: Clive Barker himself said that this was the gayest (re: most homosexual) horror movie ever made. It is.
Shocker: Skinner from the X-Files turns into electricity and travels through TVs to do serial murders on people. Wes Craven thought he could turn it into a series to rival Nightmare on Elm Street (seriously). Maybe you should play Persona 4 instead.

PS: Did you guys know that the original script for Hancock (which is quite good) was called Tonight, He Comes? That movie would have replaced A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge for "gayest movie" based on title alone.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

oh, we watched Gran Torino at my aunt's house on Christmas Eve because she gets screener copies of movies and we had nothing better to do!

it was unintentionally hilarious.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
That's what I've been reading. Is this line in the movie?

"I'll put a hole in your face, go back inside and sleep like a baby."

Ha, ha... Clint, you may still have a few more years in you yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
oh, we watched Gran Torino at my aunt's house on Christmas Eve because she gets screener copies of movies and we had nothing better to do!

Get Off My Lawn: Clint Eastwood Gets Old - based on a true story.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:37 AM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Get Off My Lawn: Clint Eastwood Gets Old - based on a true story.
Fun fact: Clint Eastwood actually says "Get off my lawn" in the movie.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 AM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

I saw Slumdog Millionaire on Friday. A nice mix of visuals both beautiful and disgustingly brutal. I really did enjoy it, especially having "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" being used as a vehicle to tell the story of Jamal.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road