The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Default Board Games!

I picked up a few new ones at this year's Gen Con:

- Gangster: A fun little strategy game that takes place in 1930 Chicago. You drive around the different districts deploying your goons, stuffing enemy mobsters in the trunk and dropping them into Lake Michigan. Nothing spells fun like a pair of cement shoes.

- The Cities and Knights add-on for Settlers of Catan: Those of you who have played Settlers of Catan (or Catan on Xbox Live) know what a great game this is. Cities and Knights is an expansion somehow involving city walls and barbarian invasions. I haven't tried it yet, I opened it up and was happy to see that I got my money's worth, but a little overwhelmed by all the changes. I've sure it'll be boss, or tits, or whatever kids use for "good" these days.

- 10 Days in Europe: A game involving collecting pieces that represent countries, boats and planes, then stringing them together to represent a 10-day trip through Europe. They have games for Asia, USA and Africa as well. It's fun, easy to learn and educational (at least for those of us who don't know their geography. At all.)

- Carcassonne the Discovery: I thought it was the original Carcassonne when I bought it and only later noticed it had "the DISCOVERY!" on the box. It's a Carcassonne spinoff, and after reading the rules it sounds fun. I am Jack's lack of attention to detail.

- Fredericus: this was on sale for $4.00 at the Mayfair booth. I bought it on a whim and, once we got the rules sorted out, it's a very cool, very fun little game involving moving your falcons around and hunting for prey.

Not a bad haul this year, and we're looking at trying to get a semi-regular board game night going. Do you guys have any recommendations for some good 2-4 player board games? Apart from those listed above, we have Clue, a couple of Scene It games, Cranium, Rummikub, Apples to Apples and Munchkin.

Edit: I wanted to pick up a copy of Ticket to Ride, but they were sold out when I inquired...
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Space dad

I got Arkham Horror recently; it's thick on rules, but a fun and rather intense game, as you're trying to keep Cthulhu or Nyarlathotep or whatever from waking up, and if it does wake up it'll probably eat you before you can kill it (there's a great Let's Play thread about it, courtesy Poetfox). I haven't played it, but I've heard really good things about Race for the Galaxy. It's a card game.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

I like:

Twilight Struggle:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12333

Commands and Colors: Ancients

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14105
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Arkham Horror looks appealing. As for the two Grant listed, they look like wargames. I have little experience with these, but I'm open to the concept.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Hawkguy

I played the People's Court over the weekend. It was a goofy fun game.

And remember, don't take the law into your own hands. Take it to the People's Court!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Give Gangster a few good plays and come back with a full report. It sounds like good times.

I really hate that there aren't any good board game stores around here. I'm pretty much limited to Target and the one book store that stocks nerd games like Munchkin and Arkham Horror.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I can buy whatever I want on the interwebs. But it's not the same as being able to just walk around a for-real store and browsing. Every Christmas a seasonal board game store opens up in a local mall, but last year they just calendars (??) and all the hip new flavors of Monopoly.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nuts View Post
As for the two Grant listed, they look like wargames. I have little experience with these, but I'm open to the concept.
Despite the historical theme, I wouldn't classify Twilight Struggle as a wargame. It's basically an area control game(a common euro boardgame mechanic) gussied up with historical chrome. The fun part is that it's card driven; every card has an operations value(which can be used to place influence, conduct coups, etc.) and an event. If the event belongs to your side, you can choose to play for ops or play the event, but if you play a card belonging to the other side, you get the ops and they get the event. So you get these nailbiters where you need ops to do things and have to balance that against the nasty event on the card that will benefit your opponent.

C&C:A is a wargame, but it's a very simple one, that's card driven. Loads of fun, surprisingly historical outcomes, and you can play a game in an hour.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Sudden chomper

Cities and Knights is the ultimate evolution of Settlers, and it's among my favorite board games ever. There are so many more ways to screw your friends over! Just remember, getting your green city card up to level 4 = win.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Space dad

Twilight Imperium is also cool, but it's a monster. I got it at the same time as Arkham Horror (birthday) but haven't been able to play it yet because you need at least three people (unless you want to use one of the unofficial two-player variants). But I have done a couple solo rounds to get the hang of the turn flow, and I'm really looking forward to when I can get a proper game going.

Guys, I just ordered Seafarers of Catan — it looked like the best expansion to start with. How are the others?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 AM

I never played Risk... something tells me I missed out big time with playing that game during my childhood. I could have been even more megalomaniacal than I am now.

I liked the Goosebumps board game that makes my player pieces disappear into a bottomless pit, or get attacked by an eye-popping mummy!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
gatchapon 3*

man, seafarers is not the best catan. indeed, it's not even as good as vanilla catan. Cities and Knights all the way!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Space dad

Too late! I'll have to get that one (and maybe the Traders and Barbarians one?) later on.

I've played a bit of risk. It's a bit boring to me, honestly. I have a LotR version that I should try one of these days — no Australia to hunker down in, and a time limit in the form of the One Ring's movement.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
A No.1

As for your original question, Mr_Nuts, you were on the right track: hunt down a copy of Ticket to Ride pronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
man, seafarers is not the best catan. indeed, it's not even as good as vanilla catan. Cities and Knights all the way!
This is my understanding as well. I've only played Cities and Knights once or twice, but it is indeed awesome.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Give Gangster a few good plays and come back with a full report. It sounds like good times.
I've gotten 3 full games of Gangster in and I really like it. There are some fun dynamics with moving your mobsters around, moving your opponents' mobsters around. Not too complicated to learn, but a lot of strategy. It's for 2-5 players, but my experience is that it works best with 4-5, but 3 is decent as well. 2 player seems to lose a lot of the spirit of the game. Gangster is definitely recommended.

Glad to see Cities and Knights getting so much love here. I haven't played it yet, but I'm confident that it rocks. When I bought it, I asked about the various add-ons and was told that the others were more "scenarios" than full on gameplay expansions. Interestingly enough, I have video games to thank for my renewed interest in board games. Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride = WIN. Lost Cities seems decent too, though I think it's better as a card game than video game.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I never played Risk... something tells me I missed out big time with playing that game during my childhood. I could have been even more megalomaniacal than I am now.
For most board game types, Risk is entirely too simple. Not necessarily bad, mind you, but not really any depth to it. Most of them will tell you to go for Risk 2110, which I haven't played but has a pretty high reputation.

I love original Risk though. I'm a fan of simplicity. Spent entire weekends playing it in high school.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Curious Young Gent

Risk is my drug, and I demand some version of it for XBLA.
There was a board game that Gangsters reminds me of on old Mac OS 9, or early Mac OS X. It's irritating that I can't remember it, because it actually worked pretty well for good times.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
gatchapon 3*

Risk 2110 sets the high water mark for board games in the modern era. It's incredibly elegant and incredibly fun.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM
clean cut

We bought Blokus a few weeks back and the party hasn't stopped. It's awesome. You can even play by yourself, which I haven't done yet.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I love original Risk though. I'm a fan of simplicity. Spent entire weekends playing it in high school.
I never liked Risk. Every game I played went far too long, I dislike my games taking hours to complete. Gangster is about right in this regard - usually about 60-90 minutes or so.

Also, curious if anyone else has played Rummikub. It's usually about 10 bucks at Target, and I absolutely love it. It's rules are simple but there is a ton of thinking and strategy that goes into it.

Essentially, you have 4 sets of tiles numbered 1-12, and you need to lay out sets and runs in groups of 3 or larger. Where it gets interesting is that you can add your tiles in your hand to any tiles in play so long as everything in play is legal (a set or run of 3 or more) at the end of your turn. So you can rearrange the whole board, which means there are a ton of possible play options every turn. Cheap, accessible, fun and easy to find.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Bavis View Post
We bought Blokus a few weeks back and the party hasn't stopped. It's awesome. You can even play by yourself, which I haven't done yet.
Blokus sounds very cool, I'd never heard of it til you mentioned it. I see there's an online version which I may check out.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Risk 2110 sets the high water mark for board games in the modern era. It's incredibly elegant and incredibly fun.
Why the hell isn't this announced for XBLA? or Steam?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I haven't played it, but I've heard really good things about Race for the Galaxy. It's a card game.
Race for the Galaxy is pretty awesome. Sadly, my copy arrived in the mail 3 weeks ago, and was missing 50 cards!! I've been waiting on Rio Grande to restock ever since, maybe I'll get to play this weekend? I doubt it.

I find it hard to go back to vanilla Settlers by now; Cities & Knights is the way to play. If my Race for the Galaxy cards haven't shown up, maybe I'll force my gaming group to play Settlers.

I've noticed a lot of love for Ticket to Ride; has anyone here played the Crayon-Rails games (Iron Dragon, Eurorails, Lunar Rails) or the Railroad Tycoon board game?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nuts View Post
Blokus sounds very cool, I'd never heard of it til you mentioned it. I see there's an online version which I may check out.
I intentionally did not search the internet for Blokus info so as to not waste my life further on it. You, sir, may have ruined me with your online version!

Thanks, though!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Bavis View Post
I intentionally did not search the internet for Blokus info so as to not waste my life further on it. You, sir, may have ruined me with your online version!

Thanks, though!
I tried it out, and it's cool. Cool enough to warrant checking out but not so cool you'll stay and play for hours and hours. I promise. Just click the link, nothing bad will happen...
Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Hawkguy

I think I'm going to enjoy an evening of Arkham Horror to ease my mind tonight.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
A No.1

Quote:
I don't believe you. Risk was so boring, I can't imagine a way to make it better.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
gatchapon 3*

oh calories, do you really need another lesson in how i'm never ever wrong when it comes to board games?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Curious Young Gent

Chess is wicked cool.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Orb Friend

Nobody likes to play Monopoly with me anymore 'cos I have a nasty tendency of winning all the time. This is also the case with Yahtzee and the card game Gin.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Curious Young Gent

I win Monopoly on the light blues every damn time. But I fear for an XBLA version, since matches take upwards of 4 hours. That, and I'd probably have to deal with one of the many American versions instead of good ol' London monopoly.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it