The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Spear of Justice

I used BeyondPod until it stopped allowing me to store podcasts on my SD card. Never figured out why, but it seemed fine besides that. I did appreciate BP's extensive storage customization options (how many back-episodes to keep, which podcasts to auto-download on wifi, etc).
Old 11-17-2016, 09:37 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

The latest With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus is excellent, FYI.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 PM
← ↔ →

I use Podcast Addict on my Android and it's pretty good! It can be a little confusing to add a podcast the first time you do it, but that's the only complaint I have. Other than that it's good to go.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Your Podcasts aren't helping
Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM
is Earnest

Mine are, but they're all about comedy and D&D.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:57 PM
#deadfish2017

Mine is fine
Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 AM
Gesundheit!

Tuner seems to have dried up, but I found a cool older, ongoing podcast called Switched on Pop that has the same gimmick of analyzing pop music from a music theory perspective. It's a lot more conversational than Tuner, and pretty approachable for a relative theory novice like myself. Really fun and recommended if you're a nuts-and-bolts music junkie.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Tuner seems to have dried up, but I found a cool older, ongoing podcast called Switched on Pop that has the same gimmick of analyzing pop music from a music theory perspective. It's a lot more conversational than Tuner, and pretty approachable for a relative theory novice like myself. Really fun and recommended if you're a nuts-and-bolts music junkie.
You're already listening to Song Exploder, right?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
You're already listening to Song Exploder, right?
I listen to it sometimes, but my interest rises and falls dramatically based on how much I care about the artist. I really liked the Tuneyards and Bob's Burgers ones.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I listen to it sometimes, but my interest rises and falls dramatically based on how much I care about the artist. I really liked the Tuneyards and Bob's Burgers ones.
Okay. I just wanted to let you know about it if you somehow had missed it.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM
contains words & diagrams

Are Tuner and Switched on Pop more in depth than the soft fart that is Song Exploder?
Old 01-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Are Tuner and Switched on Pop more in depth than the soft fart that is Song Exploder?
They're still aimed at a general audience, which is roughly where I sit. But from what I've listened to, they dig a little deeper into musicology than SE does.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM

Oh that part is fine, my problem is that Song Exploder episodes have about as much actual content in them as a crawdad does meat.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Oh that part is fine, my problem is that Song Exploder episodes have about as much actual content in them as a crawdad does meat.
Tuner and SOP are definitely exclusively about breaking down the music, and free of any wishy-washy interviewee anecdotes or long stretches of playing the song with no commentary.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 PM

A co-worker is doing a podcast about Indian American issues. Thought it might be interesting. It's going to go beyond the standard gabfest/lecture commentary podcast.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:24 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Athlete's Tribune is apparently starting a series of oral history podcasts, which could be interesting.

Their first pick, though, is the history of the 86 Giants, which is odd to me because... that's the year LT destroyed everyone and they basically ran the table unchallenged once Jim McMahon got hurt.

(Admittedly, they were down 10-9 at the half to the Broncos in the Super Bowl, but then they scored 30 straight points so it's not like they had much to worry about).

The 90-91 Giants seem like by far the more interesting story, with Hostetler taking over for Simms late in the season and then the final two games of the year being decided by FGs at the gun.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Disco time!

I'm digging Go Bayside!, the podcast about Saved by the Bell. Every episode the host (comedian and superfan April Richardson) and a guest watch an episode of the show, give a plot synopsis, then pick it apart. They mostly talk about how bad it is, but there's fondness and enthusiasm for show (on Richardson's part, at least). The guests range from fans to haters to people who were too old or too young to watch. It's kinda repetitive (much like the show), but it's a good listen.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

You Must Remember This is back!

I love this podcast and I'm not even a big movie or Hollywood kind of guy but Karina Longworth finds interesting stories and tells them in a compelling manner.

I can't recommend this enough.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeus View Post
I'm digging Go Bayside!, the podcast about Saved by the Bell.
This likely isn't my cup of tea, but I love that it exists.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 PM
who's she

Recently I've been into Dear Hank and John, Hello Internet, and Do By Friday.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I'm in the middle of an episode of Comedy Bang Bang where one of the characters (played by Carl Tart) is the Chief from the Carmen Sandiego game show. My favourite part is Scott and guest John Hodgman don't seem to know the character, making them even more delightfully confused.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Zen-vergonha

Does anyone know a good podcast about manga?

Right now i'm listening only to Retronauts and i could do with more podcasts. If anyone has any recommendations, my interests are the usual ones: manga, anime, arthouse movies, japanese movies/RPGs. Maybe books? Nah, not really, but if there's a good podcast about them, it might make me read more, haha.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Gesundheit!

For movie nerds, I just started a neat new one, The Next Picture Show. It's several former staffers from The Dissolve (RIP), discussing a new movie each episode in the context of an older movie that's thematically linked in some way. So far I've listened to episodes about All the President's Men + Spotlight and Battle Royale + The Hunger Games trilogy, and there are some cool pairings coming up like Memento + Finding Dory (hilarious) and Aguirre, the Wrath of God + The Revenant. And everyone's observations are consistently really thoughtful and cogent.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

In order to burst my own bias bubble, I have started listening to the Ricochet podcast. They see themselves as informed right of center people. I don't here anything I agree with but they don't seem to be the baiting or scaring their audience like right wing Talk Radio does.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM
bunch of bozos

The new Idle Thumbs podcast, Important If True, is great. Ostensibly it's about weird ways in which technology interacts with the modern world, but so far it's one episode in, and it's just about the usual Idle Thumbs crew talking about weird and interesting things like hawks flying planes and the dark, edgy Snagglepuss reboot.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
For movie nerds, I just started a neat new one, The Next Picture Show. It's several former staffers from The Dissolve (RIP), discussing a new movie each episode in the context of an older movie that's thematically linked in some way. So far I've listened to episodes about All the President's Men + Spotlight and Battle Royale + The Hunger Games trilogy, and there are some cool pairings coming up like Memento + Finding Dory (hilarious) and Aguirre, the Wrath of God + The Revenant. And everyone's observations are consistently really thoughtful and cogent.
Thanks for the recomendation! I'll start with the one about In The Mood for Love because i have biases.

Talking about podcast about movies reminds me that i miss The Auteurcast.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:19 PM

I've been trying to branch out to the non McElroy brother podcasts on Maximum Fun and I've really REALLY been enjoying Oh No Ross and Carrie. The pitch for the show is they're skeptics who investigate and participate in fringe science and spirituality to see how true it is, but they don't do it with the goal of insulting and making fun of the things they investigate. Their stated goal is to do just what they say, test the veracity of the claims made and see what happens because what they're looking for are answers not jokes, which lends itself to thoughtful discussions instead of crude lame jokes.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I've been trying to branch out to the non McElroy brother podcasts on Maximum Fun and I've really REALLY been enjoying Oh No Ross and Carrie. The pitch for the show is they're skeptics who investigate and participate in fringe science and spirituality to see how true it is, but they don't do it with the goal of insulting and making fun of the things they investigate. Their stated goal is to do just what they say, test the veracity of the claims made and see what happens because what they're looking for are answers not jokes, which lends itself to thoughtful discussions instead of crude lame jokes.
I don't know I think that podcast is a load of goat sperm...
Old 02-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I don't know I think that podcast is a load of goat sperm...
I honestly can't tell if that means you like it or not.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I honestly can't tell if that means you like it or not.
I was just quoting the podcast rating system... I enjoy Ross & Carrie.

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog