The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I wouldn't worry about Doctor Who; there's no way they can afford this tech.
Certainly not anytime soon. They want to, though, I guarantee it - spin off media is already recasting dead Doctors, and the 50th anniversary special had stand-ins for a static shot where they overlaid the original actors faces over the stand-ins. If they could have had them all in, moving around, shouting new lines, they would have.

This tech is a-comin, whether I like it or not.

Last edited by Kazin; 01-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM
is Earnest

Making someone look younger (Tron, Civil War, Westworld) uses similar technology, but it's just a stand in for effects makeup. It still looks awkward, but it would look off either way. Bringing back a dead actor's image and faking their performance is something else altogether.

I don't think that Rogue One was disrespectful to Cushing, but it's a strange phenomenon. I could see it being used disrespectfully, even by someone who has the legal right to use it. I can definitely see why people are bothered by the precedent, and I expect that more and more actors will have language in their will restricting the use of their image.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Butternut Squash

Yeah I figured they were people in there, just wondering if they overdid Fisher specifically.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:50 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I just want to know if NecroCushing had to wear Necroslippers on set.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 AM
King Of Space-Time

Old 01-07-2017, 08:20 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I expect that more and more actors will have language in their will restricting the use of their image.
Definitely, but the flipside of this is that we can also expect more and more will have language explicitly allowing the use of their image in specific circumstances in exchange for some fat cash, because they know they will be dead and it won't matter, whereas money is useful while you are still alive, or even when you are dead but people you love are still alive.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Of course they do. How else would they be able to stand and walk on the floor on spaceships? "Artificial Gravity"?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Find Your Reason

Swiping this awesome still from the Star Wars twitter to appreciate something:

I LIKE that the superlaser just... shoots into the target. There's no overdramatic "clouds parting into rings" or "sustained pillar of light" or any similar film/anime tropes. It's just a big blast that's over in half a second because that's all it needs to be, and its suddenness is as important as its finality.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Remembers Love

If it was just a typical directed-energy weapon, thermal effects would blow holes through clouds. However, since it uses kyber crystals, it could function similarly to lightsabers, which don't evidently conduct heat through whatever forms the exterior of the blade. It's actually a really smart idea for something designed to fire into an atmosphere.

I'm guessing someone knew exactly what they were doing when they planned those shots.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

As long as it means you can still grill hot dogs, I'm okay with it.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Of course they do. How else would they be able to stand and walk on the floor on spaceships? "Artificial Gravity"?
Lol, I did'nt see that coming.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Definitely, but the flipside of this is that we can also expect more and more will have language explicitly allowing the use of their image in specific circumstances in exchange for some fat cash, because they know they will be dead and it won't matter, whereas money is useful while you are still alive, or even when you are dead but people you love are still alive.
Thing is? Usually when you sign up to do a movie or series of movies you promise the studio the use of your likeness as part of the deal. This is what lets them put you on posters, t-shirts, souvenir glasses, etc., without your permission. This is possibly also what lets them put your likeness in other movies. This is rotten, since they aren't putting YOU in the movies - just your likeness. They usually have to pay you for that use (or in this case your estate or whoever holds the rights to residuals.)

(worst offender: reality tv)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Are you sure it isn't so they can lean like Michael?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:40 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Thing is? Usually when you sign up to do a movie or series of movies you promise the studio the use of your likeness as part of the deal. This is what lets them put you on posters, t-shirts, souvenir glasses, etc., without your permission. This is possibly also what lets them put your likeness in other movies. This is rotten, since they aren't putting YOU in the movies - just your likeness. They usually have to pay you for that use (or in this case your estate or whoever holds the rights to residuals.)
I've said it before, but Carrie Fisher frequently joked about this. There's a bit about it in Empire of Dreams, for instance.

(And given how Star Wars' merchandising and likeness rights changed Hollywood, it wouldn't surprise me if those original deals were substantially more producer-friendly than later ones.)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

So... did the Death Star deliberately miss the tower in Rogue One, or was Tarkin's plan to disable the dish but give Imperial forces a couple minutes to boogie out of there before the tidal wave hit?

It's one hell of a precise shot.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:44 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
So... did the Death Star deliberately miss the tower in Rogue One, or was Tarkin's plan to disable the dish but give Imperial forces a couple minutes to boogie out of there before the tidal wave hit?

I'm thinking it was a matter of expediency. They were moving into position and knew the rebels were down there.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Find Your Reason

Dramatic irony. Instead of dying in an explosion or in the collapse of the tower, Krennic got shot directly in the face by his own creation.

It doesn't stand up to logic or scrutiny, so I'm willing to go with that.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:18 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post

You assume too much on that latter point. That Tarkin would necessarily be concerned about the relatively small number of troops on the ground is amusing. Considering the situation, in the hierarchy of priorities, the lives of Imperials on the ground was probably super low.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Tarkin is the last person outside of Palpatine I'd expect to care about grunts.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 PM
More than two problems

This movie is out on home video now and I've finally seen it. My first impression is "this sure feels like Star Wars", which is important because The Force Awakens didn't click that way at all. Rogue One makes The Force Awakens look like the Kylo Ren of the franchise; a gawky "true heir" outwardly aping the super-cool hero ancestor so hard that everyone can see it, yet fudging the substance and thereby missing the point.
This movie does it better, because not only does it look a hell of a lot more like Star Wars, it manages to do so while being its own thing. It nails the scope, characterization, and imagery. This movie is Rey, it doesn't need Kylo's shit because it very clearly just lives in the Star Wars setting and that's more than enough.

...And that's why it didn't need cameos from R2, Threepio, "I don't like you either" guy, and an animated Peter Cushing. (Seriously, the actor who played Tarkin on set already looks and sounds like Cushing, just save us all a lot of trouble and give him an old man makeover.) There are plenty of other characters, droids, vehicles, objects and shots making cameos anyway. The stormtroopers and X-Wings alone reminded me of the images burned into my memory from the original trilogy. Someone was paying very close attention to the way they looked, sounded and moved. This movie nails the "body language" of Star Wars, and I noticed.

There's only a few things I didn't like.
  • What's up with Saw's pet hentai squid? That thing's just one step too far and it doesn't even have lasting consequences.
  • So someone put that fatal flaw in the Death Star on purpose? I dunno, I always thought it worked fine as what it was in the original film; a genuine oversight that slipped through the cracks and never got noticed or fixed because the Empire thinks it's invincible, and the Rebels find it because they're desperate and clever, not because they were tipped off.
  • Tarkin's cgi head might be a perfect re-creation of Peter Cushing but somehow it has all the telltale flourishes of animation whenever it moves. It doesn't gel with the real actors it's playing off of.
  • Darth Vader's debut moment in this film is surprisingly chilling, more so than it has ever been since all those other times in the cartoons and videogames they brought him back to make up for Revenge of the Sith... but the guy playing Vader in this movie has just a little too much fun screwing with Krennic and the trademark "I don't have time for this shit" finger-pointing is a little overplayed. (He makes up for it with that little scene at the end where he slaughters all the rebel soldiers, though. Everyone knew in the back of their minds that this is how Vader rolls in a fight, and the movie did not disappoint.)

Movies these days are very well-practiced at "thrill first, be actually good later", so my opinions may change, but regardless of its true quality over time, it did give me everything I wanted from a Star Wars movie and didn't feel like it was trying too hard or squandering it.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 AM
It's all good, man

I think retconning the flaw in the plans as deliberate sabotage is a value neutral change.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:54 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Rogue One makes The Force Awakens look like the Kylo Ren of the franchise; a gawky "true heir" outwardly aping the super-cool hero ancestor so hard that everyone can see it, yet fudging the substance and thereby missing the point.

This movie is Rey, it doesn't need Kylo's shit because it very clearly just lives in the Star Wars setting and that's more than enough.
I don't fully agree with this assessment, but I do find it hilarious.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 PM
120 Days

Rewatched.

I still don't like it.

But here is this:

The movie sets up Saw and thus the rest of the rebels as morally comprimised. Saw is a cyborg so we know what star wars thinks about them, but even Diego Luna is shady.

So why is the triumph at the end embracing violence? Saw was right and the rest of the rebellion was unorganized, timid and bureaucratic. There seems to be a lost story there. I get the feeling that Saw was supposed to make it off Jedah.

Bongo! Thoughts?

Also: death troopers. Present with Krennic when Jyn hides. She says it's been 15 years since she's seen Mads. New Hope is 18 years after Sith. So beginning is just 3 years after Sith. Are they last of the clones?
Old 04-09-2017, 05:51 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I never saw any reason to assume the death troopers were clones. My understanding is the Empire abandoned the clone program shortly after ROTS. (Although not totally abandoned. Kylo Ren mentions clones in TFA after Finn goes AWOL.)

Rogue One is firmly in the middle for me. I'd watch it again well before I watch the prequels again but I'm not reaching for it often, what with the original trilogy and TFA right there.

Quote:
So why is the triumph at the end embracing violence?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you elaborate? Violence is a means to an end; certainly the rebellion is not beyond violence and doing whatever is necessary.

"Violence is not the answer" is all well and good and also false. Violence is almost certainly an answer. It may be a morally bankrupt answer, it may have unintentional consequences, but there's a reason people reach for it: it tends to be an immediate solution and sometimes the only apparent one.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
120 Days

Saw shown as really a bad sketchy dude. Or maybe I still have this impression from early trailers... but how has the rebellion redeemed itself post Saw?

As for clones: it's just fun to think of stuff from prequel/clone wars era show up in the classic/modern era (hey! Like Saw!)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Yeah, I believe there's good-guy clone troopers in Rebels, which takes place about the same time frame as Rogue One. (I don't watch Rebels but I do listen to a few podcasts that review it.)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Rebels spoilers: The crew eventually recruits a few "retired" clone troopers (you may recognize them if you watched CGI Clone Wars) who got around the Order 66 thing by removing the brainwashing chips from their heads. Their leader is a fairly often recurring character.

RE; Saw; He also shows up in Rebels, though this is prior to whatever got him cyborg-ized and on the outs with the Rebellion.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 AM
It's all good, man

He was also in Clone Wars originally, in one of the show's darker story arcs.

Tags
battlestar wartrek , cushing for the pushin , dank cushing , i am one with the force , mom mothman , rogue one , spoilers , star wars , star wars gaiden , the force is with me