The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Speaking about sports games, the World Wide Wrestling RPG is supposed to be really good. It's Powered by the Apocalypse and seems to be as much about the performance and relationships of wrestling characters as it is about fighting. I don't care about wrestling, so I'm not that interested in it, but it seems cool.
Yeah; I picked up a copy from the PBTA Bundle of Holding a while back, and liked it enough that I backed the International Incident kickstarter for both physical books. It's entirely about the performance and relationships - the system only really reflects the fighting at all insofar as you're using it as a tool to manipulate audience reaction or the narrative around a match. It's super smooth, but I've also got a hard time seeing how to translate it to another sport.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Is there not one thing

Oh shit, Exalted. In my lost years I would do unpaid shifts at the comic shop in exchange for Exalted books.

Then when my old man passed I sold something like three linear feet of 2nd edition books for $25. Shrewd.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Then when my old man passed I sold something like three linear feet of 2nd edition books for $25. Shrewd.
$25? Not bad.

Exalted 2nd edition had some... Quality control problems. :/
Old 06-08-2016, 01:12 PM
hi there

A while back, Lucas told me about a system called OVA: The Anime Roleplaying Game and I'm pretty sure it's literally designed for exactly what you want.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Speaking about sports games, the World Wide Wrestling RPG is supposed to be really good. It's Powered by the Apocalypse and seems to be as much about the performance and relationships of wrestling characters as it is about fighting. I don't care about wrestling, so I'm not that interested in it, but it seems cool.
I've been meaning to play this for awhile. I'm not that into wrestling myself, but my friends sure are and I think this might be a hit.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
A while back, Lucas told me about a system called OVA: The Anime Roleplaying Game and I'm pretty sure it's literally designed for exactly what you want.
I mean, the rulebook literally encourages you to hold on to some character points so you can develop new attributes in the middle of battle, so yeah, it might be.

Edit: I've actually been considering getting Exalted 3, but 2 was such a mess I've never managed to even finish reading the book, much less considered trying to get it to a table. If 3 is actually better (and that combat does sound interesting!) I probably should check it out.

Last edited by Lucas; 06-08-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
$25? Not bad.

Exalted 2nd edition had some... Quality control problems. :/
I remember the system was weird as shit, and the terminology kept meaning the opposite of what you expected it to. Also there was no way to generate bad guys beyond full character creation?

Makes sense that I jumped ship for 4e the second it came out
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Edit: I've actually been considering getting Exalted 3, but 2 was such a mess I've never managed to even finish reading the book, much less considered trying to get it to a table. If 3 is actually better (and that combat does sound interesting!) I probably should check it out.
So it's still Exalted. Which is to say it's still a medium-crunch binary pass-fail dice pool system and very specific rules that all link together to create a desired play experience. But it's pretty cleaned up, and is very "narrative" focused as opposed to 2e's very "simulation" focused system.

They've also overhauled the setting, rolled back the cosmology again, and the team seems pretty dedicated to making it an interesting place where mysterious, epic things happen.

Quote:
I remember the system was weird as shit, and the terminology kept meaning the opposite of what you expected it to. Also there was no way to generate bad guys beyond full character creation?

Makes sense that I jumped ship for 4e the second it came out
The system was also degenerate as hell. Most options were marginal padding around the edges and then you get the right Charm and just start one-shotting people, which leads to all "serious" character builds requiring a very specific "Paranoia Combo" defense suite. And then combat comes down to whoever runs out of gas first going splat.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
The system was also degenerate as hell. Most options were marginal padding around the edges and then you get the right Charm and just start one-shotting people, which leads to all "serious" character builds requiring a very specific "Paranoia Combo" defense suite. And then combat comes down to whoever runs out of gas first going splat.
Everything about Exalted's system reminds me of the time a guy told me he wanted to design games for a living, so he was majoring in English.

Wait, no. Everything about the rpg industry reminds me of that.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Everything about Exalted's system reminds me of the time a guy told me he wanted to design games for a living, so he was majoring in English.

Wait, no. Everything about the rpg industry reminds me of that.
Less now than there used to be. There's been a lot of development in interest in text structure, teaching design, etc. Especially from companies like Evil Hat and Pelgraine.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Inherently Stealthy

So speaking of that, I've just finished reading the pre-release PDF of 7th Sea 2nd Edition.

While there's still a few rough spots and places where Wick's enthusiasm for enthusiasm overshadows clarity, overall the book does a great job of showing you how to use it in play.

- Characters advance by completing "stories", based on the number of "steps" in the story. While this might sound rigid, the rules for it are really good about how to construct them, setting out a start and end point and filling in the in-between as it happens. Mainly they serve as a marker for play - what is in play, where's it probably going, what's happened, how can I advance it? Especially since each player writes a story for their character in addition to those the GM introduces.

- While the system's got normal "resolve this risky thing you're doing" mechanics, it's also got two separate structures for rolling these up into larger scenes - Action Sequences and Dramatic Sequences, with the former being faster moving and the latter covering greater spans of time but more restricted. This subtly nudges players towards getting what they want by Daring Action.

- Antagonists are divided into Villains and "Brute Squads", with the latter filling in the "mook" role. The former, though, are composed of only two stats: Strength and Influence. Both are used to determine how many dice they roll, making Villains quite beefy. Strength feeds into their personal power, including Sorcery and Duelling, and is mostly unchanged. Influence waxes and wanes as the villain accomplishes schemes, has those schemes thwarted, and invests in minions and servants.

- The GM chapter builds on all of this by breaking apart what's going on and laying out how you assemble the bits into a game to play. It walks through modes of play (action VS intrigue VS...), themes, and so on and lays out what they all mean and how they're used.

I'm pretty confident that a new GM could sit down with this book, read it cover to cover, and come out with a reasonable idea of how to run a successful game for her group.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Zen-vergonha

Ah, a second edition to 7th sea! It was my favorite RPG when i was a teen!

Thanks for the notice! I'll try to convince my group to play it. Do you know when it will be released?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Inherently Stealthy

They've said they want to have the core rules ready for GenCon 2016, but they've also delayed twice for updates to the text from backer feedback, including tweaking language and culture details, tightening up systems, and fixing errors. So... Expect it soon after, maybe?

The sheer number of supplements funded by the Kickstarter is also impressive, and they've said that if the line does well, they want to do hire people to do a "second season" focused on other swashbuckling traditions - India and China having been mentioned explicitly.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Does anyone else get Kevin Crawford's RPGs? Silent Legions isn't my favorite since horror as a genre doesn't do much for me, but Stars Without Number is a nice, simple sci-fi ruleset that can cover a lot of different settings with little trouble and has a good set of rules for dealing with factions which can let the campaign slide right into the PCs running interstellar domains or fleets of ships.

I also like the idea of Scarlet Heroes, which is basically a new ruleset to let you run old AD&D adventures for groups of just one or two PCs. There's even solitaire rules in there! And like all Crawford's games, tons and tons of random tables for building settings/background characters/adventures/whatever on the fly.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Dinger!

I've got the PDF of Star Without Number (it's free, after all), but I haven't really read through it. Everything I've heard about it sounds good though, especially the faction and planet-generation rules. Everybody raves about those.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I read Stars Without Number a few years back. It seemed like a solid retroclone with some neat ideas and well-balanced systems. Not something I'd run, and nothing that other sci-fi games don't also do well. (Diaspora, Mindjammer)
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Oily Butt Thing

work got in the stuff for Free RPG Day. spoiler: you NEED this year's Lamentations of the Flame Princess offering.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 AM
TARANTUL

When's free RPG day?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Oily Butt Thing

This Saturday, June 18.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Dinger!

Had a really awesome session of Lady Blackbird on Monday. There were three players, who picked Naomi (the bodyguard), Kale (the first mate) and Snargle (the pilot) as their characters. It was a bit weird playing without the Captain or Lady Blackbird herself and it meant that there were a couple of conversations that took place between NPCs, but otherwise it was good. They escaped the brig, killed some imperials, got their ship back and bartered with some sky pirates for much needed fuel.

The highlight was definitely our Snargle player. Snargle's supposed to be a pacifist, which the player interpreted strictly as "doesn't physically harm people." But he used ample threats of violence to achieve his ends. We chided him for it, but it really was a great interpretation of the character.

So yeah. If you folks haven't played Lady Blackbird, get on that. It's great.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 AM
Dinger!

DriveThruRPG is having a sale on Powered by the Apocalypse games. Monsterhearts for $6 is extremely tempting.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Objection!

Ok, phew. Over the weekend, some friends noticed that Masks was finally released, so we picked up some copies (I really like what I see in it so far, but I need more time to digest it before I have much in the way of opinions). I also finally decided to buy World Wide Wrestling at the same time, but that one's discount is low enough that I'm not upset about it.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
I also finally decided to buy World Wide Wrestling at the same time, but that one's discount is low enough that I'm not upset about it.
World Wide Wrestling is fantastic - I backed their recent kickstarter for print copies of it and International Incident, its supplement.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Ok, phew. Over the weekend, some friends noticed that Masks was finally released, so we picked up some copies (I really like what I see in it so far, but I need more time to digest it before I have much in the way of opinions). I also finally decided to buy World Wide Wrestling at the same time, but that one's discount is low enough that I'm not upset about it.
I really, really want to play Masks and I've heard great things about World Wide Wrestling.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Objection!

Yeah, I really want to play both. And while I could... maybe run a game of Masks, I know I can't run World Wide Wrestling. Probably. I'd have to read it more, but I don't think I have enough of a background to pull it off the way it should.

But also sadly, the two friends of mine who would be most able to are either 1) Already running a super hero game, and 2) Don't like using electronic versions of books.

We'll see. Maybe some day I'll get a chance.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
I know I can't run World Wide Wrestling. Probably. I'd have to read it more, but I don't think I have enough of a background to pull it off the way it should.
So one of the great things about World Wide Wrestling is that it's really written to acknowledge that a lot of people trying to run it aren't going to be hugely knowledgeable about the Pro Wrestling world. The essays about wrestling are great for getting your head around the genre, a lot of the hard parts are (as usual) handled for you by Moves, and the game's got a very "collaborative" spirit to it. International Incident has a lot of alternative rules that share around the GMing burden; similarly the troupe-style play rules from Night Witches are easily adaptable.

I haven't run it myself, but that's more due to personal circumstances (new baby) than lack of confidence.

(Also the genre lends itself well to borrowing story structures from other media; tournament manga and reality TV adapt especially well)
Old 09-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Objection!

I can see that being true. I still need to put some time aside to read through it all. And when thinking about it, like. Sure, I'm not really into the WWE at all, but I do really like Lucha Underground and I could probably pull off a Dario Cuedo-like role pretty well. Or Greg Miller from the PAX Wrestling League of Heels.

Since it'd basically be a system of setting up stories between people, I could see the role of the GM being a little bit of a step back from what's typical from PbtA games, as I understand them.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Yeah, when you get more than an inch past the surface pro wrestling is just another form of serial drama. If you've watched soap-opera TV or read a lot of comic books you've internalized 90 percent of it already.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 AM
Dinger!

Bit the bullet and bought Monsterhearts in the DriveThruRPG sale, even though the second edition is coming soon.

So if anybody wants to play a game with sexy teenage monsters doing awful things to each other, let me know.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Remembers Love

Spent some of my Christmas dosh on Ryuutama. It seems like it's right in my wheelhouse. Pastoral tone, charming presentation, weak assumed setting that I don't have to work against, and a low power-level. And the game seems to manage the trick of alleviating GM workload, while having a concrete, non-aspirational resolution systems that potential players in my peer group can engage with.

In the best of all possible worlds, where I have the time, self-confidence, and players to run any game, I'd probably be running Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay with a table of masochistic medievalists, or an incredible game of Jihad: Burning Sands. But this is really something I can see myself running, getting creative with, and my friends enjoying in this world.