The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-19-2016, 05:22 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Soon, they are driving through a nightmare-scape mosiac of traffic signs and things, making it look like THEY are the real danger. Trapped in a dimension of rules without purpose, they drive forever. It is no longer an emergency. It is an eternity. EXCEPT NO, they drive uphill, presumably the hill that leads to and from TRAFFIC PERDITION!

In the dimension of blood, a tree falls. Meanwhile, a fireman scoops up one shovel full of dirt and runs away. I was confused at first but it soon becomes apparent why:

Yep, one scoop in and the guy strikes hurricane. He's lucky, most times you have to break through a few more stratas of Earth before hitting major wind conditions. He was lucky to hit such a rich weather vein.
I think this is a sign that this undertaking has broken Johnny Unusual's brain. Who had E in the betting pool for that? You've just won.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Default Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

As you might imagine, this beloved cartoon is... well, it's become a bit tainted in recent years. Probably because the main creative force behind the show is a rapist monster. So... that, seems to take the fun out of a lot of this. I was never even really a Cosby fan but even I was disappointed to learn what Cosby did and then horrified at the depth of it. Now I turn basically any actual line that Bill Cosby has in the opening into something that makes me think twice. And that's a shame, because I wouldn't go so far as to say that Fat Albert is a good show, there is a LOT of good in it. The jokes are largely terrible but it is a major TV series for kids with a black cast, positive messages and arguably the best of the 70's cartoon themes. It's a REALLY good theme and has what I want out of a lot of them. It's catchy, memorable, fun, and while the animation is not much better than the other contemporary shows, it uses it's limited animation well enough.
Sooo.... here we go.

OK, there's a lot of Cosby in this opening. So we start in a junky looking field (is it an actual junkyard in the show? It's been forever since I've seen it.) but in live action. It's interesting that in the next decade, Cosby would focus on the upper-middle class black experience but here, we focus on characters who have fun living in a pretty crappy neighborhood and if memory serves are somewhere in the lower class (or at least in the lower middle class). Then again, I also remember that all the episodes are message episodes, so there's lots of bummer events in the series. Anyway, its not a setting we see Cosby return to in his career. Not much of a point, I guess, just an interesting observation (to me, anyway).

Anyway, Cobsy appears, teleporting all over the place. I suppose this is time elapsed quick cuts, but if Cosby can teleport, than got help us all. Anyhoo, he's balancing a microphone on his hand and then chucks it to the side. It is caught, in animation, by the title character Fat Albert. With a great amount of energy he announces: "HEY HEY HEY! IT'S FAAAAAAT ALBERT!" BTW, this clearly looks like a junkyard so I guess I remembered correctly.
Anyway, he continues.

"AND I'M GONNA SING A SONG FOR YOOOOOOOOU!"

He says as he points at the viewers. Clearly, this was meant to be 3D as Fat Albert's finger is coming RIGHT AT YOU!

We then cut to Bill Cosby's back, sporting a yellow t-shirt with all of the characters, then turning around to so us his shirt with Fat Albert on the front while he hold's a piece of fakey looking wood with the words "Fat Albert" painted on the front. He then covers up Fat Albert with the words Fat Albert. Now, since I seem to be reading something horrible into Bill Cosby's actions in light of current insight, him lifting a piece of wood to expose his pants crotch and looking down and smiling would seem to play into that. Actually, the way it is shot, it doesn't work that way.

However, the next lines of the song "And Bill's going to show you a thing or two." does sound a little more sinister to me now.

He then throws the sign to animated Fat Albert, who is being carried by all his friends for reasons unknown. Also, there's a duck, who I have absolutely no memory of in this show. Fat throws the sign back to Cosby and the sign now says the Cosby kids.

Now this hadn't occurred to me before. I'm sure they are called the Cosby Kids for name recognition but are they actually called the Cosby Kids IN the show? They can't be, right? I mean, if they are, that raises a lot of questions. Now the obvious and laziest one is the idea that maybe these are Bill's illegitimate kids. But maybe they are all just relatives. I suppose that wouldn't be super-weird in a small community, would it? Still, they aren't called that on the show, are they? And if they are, is there ever an explanation? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyway, we see all the kids crossing their arms and shaking each other's hands, while they stand in a way we get a good look at them. This is the kind of thing I like. I mean, we don't get their names or anything, but too many of these openings don't properly introduce their characters and/or do it in a clumsy way. The last one kid in line looks over to see himself shaking hands with the duck, who is standing on a stool, who looks way too proud of himself.

"You'll have some fun now, with me and all the gang
Learning from each other, while we do our thing."

Not a rhyme. I mean, Fat didn't even pronounce any of the two words in such a way as to get away with it. But that doesn't stop it from being a REALLY fun opening song. Now we get into the chorus.

"Na-Na-Na, Gonna Have a Good Time!" ad infinitum.

Bill Cosby is playing with some paint and then turns to the audience.

"It's Bill Cosby comin' at ya with music and fun"

OK, nothing untoward so far.

"And if you aren't careful you might learn something before it's done."
Oh, dear. Well, re-contextualization aside, I like that in theory, he's saying that the education aspect ain't what you are coming for, but it may happen all the same. As if you'll take your medicine with some sugar. Wait, forget about Cosby giving you medicine.

"So let's get ready. HEY HEY HEY!"

We then zip over to the Cosby Kids' band, who we don't spend enough time with, in my opinion. I love instruments made of materials that aren't usually instruments
To wit:

We then pan over to the words "Fat Albert" painted on a fence, then pan again to the words "And the Cosby Kids" on another part of the fence. We then cut to Bill, who throws a paint brush in a stiff armed way, that looks weird to me. Does it look weird to anyone else?

I suppose any action looks weird when it's presented in a very short gif over and over. Maybe it's just me. Anyhoo, the brush, possibly having gained a form of proto-sentience and some levitation powers, paints an exclaimation point before returning to Cosby's hand. Or perhaps Cosby has telekinesis powers now. That, paired with his teleportation, is now even more worrying.
We zoom in on the blue paint can, things go blurry (again, you don't want this to happen around Cosby) and we pan out to see the sign that says "Starring Bill Cosby", at which point Cosby starts mugging and "aw, shucks"ing in a way that basically makes him look like every mocking impression of himself, minus the non-sense talk, preceded by a comment of things being "With all the".

So there. Good opening to a show that has the misfortune of being related to a rapist. Just like how time and knowledge has ruined my other favourite show "The Roman Polanski Variety Hour."

Did It Make Me Want To Watch It?
Hmm... No. It's a really good opening, but my memories of that show involve either terrible jokes or someone being depressed about a personal issue.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show
Wait, one of the Cosby Kids is Bill Cosby. Voiced by Bill Cosby. This would be a good reason to call them the Cosby kids, but he isn't really the kids' ringleader or anything so, I dunno. Also, Cosby did in fact voice Albert, which I actually thought wasn't the case. The singing voice was someone else though. Bill also voiced Mushmouth. Oh, and the show aired new episodes sporadically between 1972 and 1985. That's a long time.

Oh, and it's pretty shitty to call your friend "Dumb" Donald. I mean, I get how friends are busting each other's balls, but a "name" ball busting can really wear on your soul after a while, I imagine.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:33 PM
King Of Space-Time

Every kid in the show when it debuted had been mentioned in his standup routines, including Bill himself and Russel.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Every kid in the show when it debuted had been mentioned in his standup routines, including Bill himself and Russel.
Whelp, now I know. I don't know much about Bill's stand up.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 PM

Default The Flintstone Comedy Hour (AKA The Flinstone Comedy Show)

The Flintstone Comedy Hour (AKA The Flinstone Comedy Show)

So, we can all agree that the Flintstones was NEVER funny, right? Don't get me wrong, I still have a bit of affection for the iconic characters: put-upon Wilma, giggly Betty, giggly but less hot Barney (only a little), and hair trigger ball-of-rage Fred Flintstone. Come to think of it, I think my affection may only extend to the Rubbles, who seem to live in a world where they actually enjoy life, as opposed to the Flintstones, who live in a world of lies, mistrust, anger and disappointment. To me, Fred smiling actually seems like a rare occurrence, save for when his wife believed one of his lies. Fred is kind of awful.

But still, the iconography of the Flintstones is powerful enough that I don't hate the characters, somehow. But it's not a good show. Even worse is the shows that came after. This is one of them: The Flinstone Comedy Hour (also called the Flintstone Comedy Show). The fact that it seems to be leaning on the possibility that the show has enough comedy to fill an hour is a pretty big warning sign.

We start with a grid of various colors, except that the color is off enough that doesn't make it pretty. Everything has the shame subtle shade to it. Then most of the squares disappear, and the ones remaining turn into the words "The Flintstone". The words "Comedy Show" appear underneath and now each letter in the word "Flinstone" contains the head of various characters, half of whom I don't recognize. The heads disappear and we cut to...
Fred and Barney, apparently on one of those cheap, grade school valentine's cards cause there's a big old heart for some reason. But what is much more compelling is what looks to be a bottle of pills Fred is holding during his classic "Yabba Dabba Doo!" Pain medication due to constantly being hit on the head with rocks and bowling balls, which are made out of rocks? Or is it Flintstones vitamins? If so, he should be confused and scared. "Barn! These supplemental vitamins look... like us! Who made these? And for what purpose! Barn, be honest, is this one of your damned Fruity Pebbles scams? Because I'm happy to give them to you if you can explain this."

But Barney says nothing. They stare at each other for a while. The silence is deafening."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

And it is forgotten.

They disappear and suddenly a grown up Pebbles and Bam Bam cycle through the big heart, along with their friends Girl with Afro Who Has The Shame Animal Skin as Fred, Cave Nerd and Another Woman With an Afro.
We then see Pebbles playing music on the mouth of a prehistoric rhino. The rhino looks really out of it, like those these are his erogenous zone or they drugged him up so hard to prevent him from biting that he don't care. Bam Bam plays a bird-string instrument, who looks appropriately happy, unlike the rhino. There bird is just happy to be a port of it. Then the nerd plays the turtles, who look incredibly depressed. Presumably, they will turn to the camera and spout the classic catchphrase of all Flintstones animals used for appliances: "Kill me. Please." Haha. Hilarious.

"It's a show full of fun and laughs for you! Heh heh."

Whenever a show promises me fun and laughs, I expect neither.

We then see a silhouette of Pebbles and Bam Bam dancing, then cut to a dance floor where a woman is staring at a dancing guy in deep confusion.
[IMG]ttp://i.imgur.com/Srv33Bl.gif[/IMG]
Look at her. She's paralyzed and just can't stop looking at the little guy going to town on that. It's occurs to me that this is the Man from Another Place and Laura Palmer doppelganger of this world.

"Pebbles and Bam Bam!
And all of the gang!
Moonrock, Shagrock, Brontovich too!"

Those are the names I heard. I'm not taking them back. Anyway, three guys are riding bikes and one crashes into a tree. He then spins as the song gets like "really 60's". Like a Beyond the Valley of the Dolls kind of song. Oh, guys, let's watch that.

Anyhoo, we then transition to Pebbles, Bam Bam and friends riding on a Merry-Go-Round. None of the animals are moving (yes, they are bobbing up and down, but not under their own power) so it's hard to tell if they are alive, dead, or in the horrible twilight zone between the two. Anyhoo, the song goes from so 60's to so Hanna Barbera of lame musical pablum (I mean, the other music was bad too, but this is specifically Hanna Barbera bad now)

Then we see Pebbles and Bam Bam surfing on prehistoric sharks. OK, I get why you'd need animals for appliances and stuff but a surf board is a piece of wood. There's tons of trees in Bedrock. Use a sharped beak bird or saw fish to cut down a tree and make your own. It seems a lot less cruel. Anyway, one shark realizes this is all bullshit and swims away, leaving Bam Bam to do something that doesn't involve being a slave to a human.
We then see Fred and Barney playing Football with a potted plant. After hiking it to Barney, he runs to catch it, yelling "YABBA DABBA DOO!" before hitting a wall. I really have nothing to add to this.

Then we get one of those hoopy things Porky Pig emerges from, but instead, it slowly disappears and reveals Pebbles, Bam Bam and Cave Nerd playing music. Hearts are flowing out the background

"We'll have a groovy time!"

The hoopy thing then envelopes them and the words "The Flintstone Comedy Show" appear, with the words comedy show shaking independentaly of "The Flinstone" in a very obvious way. They used to have an hour. Now they have less.

Nope. Don't really like the Flinstones.

The name of the band is The Bedrock Rockers. That's got to be the Roughriders of Flintstones band names. Also, a lot of the music was written by one of the guys from the band Bread. I only know that band because Topher Grace gets a Bread record on That 70's Show and is disappointed.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 AM

Default Fraidy Cat

Fraidy Cat
This is a very short one. Really short. It actually has a really bad reputation, which is a shame, because it has a solid premise. Take a look.

So this cat is hanging out by some garbage cans while some spooky music plays and numbers appear above his head from 1-8. The numbers turn into ghost cats!

The cat, who is fucking ugly for a cartoon cat, particularly one who is your lead character, jumps in a garbage can in fear

He explains:
"Every kitty had 9 lives, but eight of mine went fast.
Now there's only 1 life left, and I want to make it last."

He is then chased by a storm cloud chased by the number 9, running in fear. As he leaves the title, make of clouds, appears with kids mockingly saying "FRAIDY CAT".

Yes. I actually saw an episode of this a while ago. It's REALLY bad, one of those "you kind of HAVE to see it" bad cartoons. The animation is wretched, the title character is ugly, the whole thing is unpleasant. Really, though, there is the seed of a good concept in here: a cat who is intensely afraid of death and who only has one life left is both tormented and saved by the ghosts of his past lives.

BTW, here's a partial episode of this terrible thing. Also, I hope you like a laugh track in a cartoon. And about 10 cat puns where most of them are just puns on the word "Cat".

Let's face it, when the crooks are looking in his "Clothes" they are simply searching through his flesh. Also, the fact that they can steal his ghost's clothes is pretty impressive.

Also, did that wizard murder a plane full of people when he turned it into a chicken?

It was a short cartoon which was part of a short lived spoof of kids show hosts called "Uncle Croc's Block", which I will get to in a future date despite not actually being animated.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:17 AM

Fred and Barney Meet the Thing

I hope you like fucking lies. I already know the truth. The animated hour long series in no way has Hanna Barbera's legendary cave-friend meeting Marvel Comics' most loveable curmudugeon (sorry, JJJ, but you are a close number 2) in the ultimate cross over wherein Ben Grimm and the Flintstones need to stop the evil team up between Dr. Doom and Mr. Slate. So, yeah, if you decided to watch a TV series called Fred and Barney Meet the Thing because you believed Fred and Barney Meet the Thing, you are shit out of luck. Lets get started on this pack of lies.

We begin with Fred (Flintstone) and Barney (Rubble) standing next to a pile of orange boulders. Then, suddenly, The Thing (the Marvel Comics one, not the alien monster or the disembodied hand, though those would also make for great crossovers we will never get) emerges from behind the orange rocks, much to the surprise of the two cavemen. As the Thing flexes his rocks, Fred and Barney look on excitedly, presumably thinking "Man, we could have a lot of exciting adventures with this guy."
This is not to be. Never to be.

They are then picked up by a brontosaurus-esque creature with it's head. And don't say "brontos aren't real" because this who fucking thing is a lie anyways. It doesn't matter. Nothing matters. This show is a lie.
The dinosaur takes the group to a modern day city before throwing the Thing down in the center of it, where he flexes once more. Again, this basically promises that Fred, Barney and a dino will appear in modern day America, perhaps stopping the Mole Man and the Skrulls and getting confused about why the can opener won't say "It's a living."

Fred and Barney basically disappear as the Thing's background fades into a science room. The Thing is transformed into a young boy while two teens look on. The Thingboy looks at himself, as if to say "Well, I'm glad I'm not a monster anymore but I'm not looking forward to more puberty."
Then we see Thingboy on the street, surrounded by a biker gang. Thingboy then reveals two rings and combines them, Wonder Twins-style, and transforms into Regular Thing, by having rocks magically fly onto his body.
The biker gang, proves they are both stupid and brave by driving closer to the rock monster that appeared suddenly. The Thing gathers them up and hugs them until they are a twisted mess of flesh and steel, squeaking away on shopping cart-like tires. It occurs to me that these guys hadn't actually done anything yet. I'm not saying they aren't bad guys, but from our point of view, The Thing may just be declaring war on people who are curious about them. To be fair, that's not too different than that time his comic counterpart got really bummed out and just started scaring people for giggles ("This Man, This Monster", I believe).

The Thing's friends then drive up to him, to which the Thing responds by shoving their car away, which seems uncalled for. What a dick. Even more confusing, The Thing, in a tight close up, responds to his own actions by looking as if he is a five year old who has just set his eyes on the prettiest Christmas tree with gifts underneath for him (considering that the Thing is Jewish, this may not be the best analogy).

But suddenly, he looks over, shocked. His best friend Fred and Barney are now trapped in a boat with a shark circling them. They are probably thinking "WHY?! WHY CAN'T WE TURN YOU INTO AN OUTBOARD MOTOR OR SOMETHING!? WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING US RATHER THAN BEING OUR APPLIANCE SLAVE!"

The Thing jumps into the water, displacing the ENTIRETY OF THE OCEAN, leaving a desert in his wake. The shark starts flopping around before attacking the Thing in a valiant effort to destroy the creature that ended the only world he ever knew, replacing it with a nightmarish dryscape. Unfortunately, he cannot penetrate the stone skin of the Thing and loses all his teeth. In response, he decides to row away in the boat Fred and Barney left behind, which I think was also the climax of The Coming of Galactus. The boat in that was much larger, though.

Suddenly, a bunch of kids and Flintstones characters come rushing and in a celebratory manner pick up the Thing, which is shocking since, as a must once more state, he was heavy enough to displace all the water in the ocean. Speaking of, that displaced water returns splashing everyone. Then a weird, cranky looking photographer takes a picture of the Thing.

In that flash, we transition to the Thing, now glowing, towers above his own logo. He then looks around and Fred and Barney rush in with the LIES "Fred and Barney Meet" to add to the logo. Fred and Barney shake hands with the Thing for the first and last time, and then all three pose for a glory shot as the music swells.

Yes. It is built on a house of lies, but yes. Because it is the most beautiful of lies. At least Scooby Doo actually MET Batman.

As stated, the Thing and the Flinstones never met, it's just an hour of programming with a Saturday morning Fred and Barney cartoon and a Thing cartoon about a boy who can turn into the Thing with the magic words "Thing Ring, do your thing!" Which is actually a pretty awesome catchphrase.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, I guess f you can only use any one single Fantastic Four character, you might as well use the best one.

Though Fred and Barney meeting BLASTAAR: THE LIVING BOMB-BURST would also be pretty memorable in its own way.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I don't have anything to add, but just want to make it clear that this was the funniest of these that you've written yet. A+, would laff again.

Granted, you were given a pretty rich vein to mine.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:18 AM

The Freedom Force

We start with a pyramid shape made of points of light that revolves around and becomes an actual pyramid on a platform in a jungle.

"The Valley of Time!" announces the narrator!

Lightning flashes.

"Home of the Freedom Force!"

We then see what I would assume to be a Christian superhero team if I didn't know better. I think it's all the whiteness. I mean, yes, two of the guys have a tan skintone but even they have a lot of white on. Anyway, she see our multi-ethnic heroes standing in a V, a la the Mighty Ducks!

"Isis! Goddess of the elements."

We see lightning flash behind arguable the whitest and least animal headed Egyptian goddess of all.

"Hercules, the World's Mightiest Man"

We then see the blonde adonis flex out of some chains while glowing. Strangely, his glowing outline doesn't follow him when he begins to flex, meaning he is faster than his own aura.

"Merlin, Master of Magic"

A surprisingly young and bland looking Merlin juggles fire balls and disinterestedly throws one at the audience.

"Sinbad, Hero of the Seven Seas"

We see Sinbad standing and staring with intensity on his boat, and his first mate. The dude's just standing there, but you can already tell he's the annoying comic relief. He has a fez and buckteeth. If he isn't, that'll teach me a "book by it's cover" lesson I wouldn't mind learning.

"And... SUPER SAMURAI, giant of justice."

Ah, yes, the classic character of Japanese legend SUPER SAMURAI. Why do I feel like the animators just looked at each other and said "I think we need an Asian presence on this show. Who's a legendary Asian character?" And no one had wikipedia or knew any Asians to ask so they said "I dunno, Super Samurai sounds like a thing."

"Join them on another adventure through time and fantasy."

We see Isis and Super Samurai flying under their own power, Sinbad, Merlin and other guy on a flying carpet and it looks like Hercules borrowed Perseus' Pegasus for the weekend.

"THE FREEDOM FORCE"

Yep. It's not the coolest opening, but it's pretty solid and it's got a team of mythical superheroes PLUS Super Samurai, the Giant of Justice. Yes, I know I complained about the creators unwillingness to do cultural research, but a super samurai, much like a super knight, a super cowboy or a super Cossack, cannot be so easily dismissed.

The Freedom Force is one segment in the series "Tarzan and the Super 7". Apparently this version of Hercules is a holdover from another show called "The Space Sentinels", this version of Isis is supposed to be the one from the TV show "The Secret of Isis" and there are only 5 episodes of the Freedom Force. I'm willing to buy a copy of The Space Sentinels/The Freedom Force for Octopus Prime is he's willing to review them.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
"Merlin, Master of Magic"

A surprisingly young and bland looking Merlin juggles fire balls and disinterestedly throws one at the audience.
When I saw that I imagined him speaking in a Mr. Horse-like deadpan and saying "Yep, I'm juggling fireballs. I'm a wizard - it's what I do."

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 10-08-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:14 AM

Default The Funky Phantom

The Funky Phantom
That title is a lot to live up to. Does it?

We start off with a instrumental build up that bodes well. Like, maybe an actual song or hummable tune. We also see yet another gang of teens (and their dog) in a dune buggy. Clearly, these teens solve mysteries for a living. It's pouring rain, which is probably a good argument for NOT traversing the country by dune buggy.

The song begins...

"We were cold and soakin' wet and lost out in a storm,
We went into a spooky house just hopin' to get warm."

Basically, we see just that, the teens going into a creepy old mansion with a plague that says "Mud" on it.

"A dusty clock said half-past six, we knew that it was wrong.
When we set the hands to twelve, the clock began to bong."

Again, what you hear is what you see and then the clock bongs and breaks down.

Suddenly a ghost, wearing revolutionary war-era clothes, emerges from the clock and begins wailing.

Instead of being shocked by evidence of the afterlife and seeing a perhaps vengeful wraith crying before them, they look up, smile and say "It's the Funky Phantom." There is no fear in their hearts, only joy. I wish we could all have the spiritual fortitude to react as such.

Then, revealing himself to be Snagglepuss, the ghost says "The Spirit of 1776, even. At your service." He then swirls around the room. I should also point out he has a ghost cat on his head and the cat also has it's own tricorner hat.

"We found a friend friend friend in Funky Phantom."

Now, I should point out, the Phantom, though seemingly nice and friendly, isn't "funky". He's not like a Don Cornelius or Isaac Hayes-type. Now THEY would make for Funky Phantoms. But he is riding with the kids in their buggy. I do like the very concept of a human befriending a ghost, mostly because most ghosts lead a pretty lonely existance, by their nature.

"He'll pop right in just when you need him most."

We then see the kids running into a Swamp Thing monster, trapped in some looped animation before FP literally pulls the rugs from out of him.

"Grrr, I'm a living GIF because Hanna Barbera doesn't spend enough on animation, grrr!"

"And Boo will too, and you can't do without him."

We then see the ghost turn invisible to trip a musketeer. I don't think this is a good show, but the fact that it allows me to write that sentence means it did some good in this sorry world.

"That cat and that Funky Phantom Ghost"
I think "Phantom Ghost" is a bit redundant b
ut maybe a phantom died and became a ghost and never ascendant to Heaven 2, the Heaven for Heaven residents who die.

Anyway, we see the Funky Phantom appear under his ghost cat. Then we see everyone in the car, who then make ghostly wails for fun before driving off and laughing into the sunset.

Not really, though human/ghost relations are a point in its favor.

There are a lot of cartoons where there's a ghost but we aren't told how they died. Here, they go into surprisingly great detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The two explained that, during the Revolutionary War, they had stumbled upon two Redcoats and ended up hiding inside the clock, but also that they then were unable to get out of the clock and eventually died inside.
That's... rather disturbing for a kids show. I mean, that's a bad way to go. I hope in that episode FP gives that explanation, then points to his own corpse in the clock and says "see!" And you know what? It's just going to be a skeleton at that point so it would be kid appropriate. At least it would be BEAT appropriate.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Outraged!

I have some vague memories of Fraidy Cat. I think I saw part of an episode on a tv at a pizza place once. The concept of a terrified cat constantly running for his life seemed pretty depressing to young me.

I found that episode you embedded fascinating, though. It looks like his ghosts go all the way back to caveman times so he's been around since before the dawn of civilization, that's a nice long "life". Is his issue that each of his past lives died young in some sort of tragic accident and he'd like, just once, to live to a ripe old age? Of course, living in constant fear is no life at all.

That's some deep shit, no wonder they needed a laugh track.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I have some vague memories of Fraidy Cat. I think I saw part of an episode on a tv at a pizza place once. The concept of a terrified cat constantly running for his life seemed pretty depressing to young me.

I found that episode you embedded fascinating, though. It looks like his ghosts go all the way back to caveman times so he's been around since before the dawn of civilization, that's a nice long "life". Is his issue that each of his past lives died young in some sort of tragic accident and he'd like, just once, to live to a ripe old age? Of course, living in constant fear is no life at all.

That's some deep shit, no wonder they needed a laugh track.
Yeah, it's completely fascinating to me. There seems to be an interesting theology behind this that I have a feeling the creators didn't take advantage of beyond having criminals wear ghost clothes.

I could easily see this as (to use some cliches) very Kafka-esque or Lynchian cartoons examining a fear of death. I mean, I guess you could also have it be a cartoon about how ghosts teach a frightened cat what it means to not let a fear of death keep one from living, but I think it's just about a sadsack cat whose every living moment is fear and who cannot say numbers.

That last thing sounds like a disorder, now that I think of it. Would making sure NOT to do a thing like that be OCD or would that fall into another category. Really, let me know if you do.

Also, do you think when the last life goes, there's no afterlife? Like he's so afraid because when all 9 lives are over, it is true oblivion? And those ghosts can only exist because they have a living anchor but they don't care because they are unfettered by Earthly fears? And then a commercial for King Vitamin comes on.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Funky Phantom was one of those obscure 1970's cartoons the Cartoon Network relied on a lot back in their early "let's just rely on our vault to fill the schedule" days. I think it even got promoted from just appearing whenever the Boomerang block covered 1971 to having a regular timeslot.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

Like so many other shows in this thread, I'm only familiar with it via Harvey Birdman and Mystery Incorporated.

The Mystery Inc episode with Funky Phantom was something else
Old 10-08-2016, 05:59 PM

"What makes you think you're so funky?"

I don't know why it was Funky Phantom in particular that brought those old CN memories up, especially since most of the HB cartoons mentioned in this thread have been shown there. Maybe it's because the show is that perfect storm of not being big enough to merit being remembered (unlike the many seasons of Scooby Doo and the Super Friends), not obscure enough to have escaped the Boomerang ghetto (see The Amazing Chan and Butch Cassidy) and... well, it's no Dynomutt. It's not even Jabberjaw.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:06 AM

Default Galaxy Goof-Ups

Galaxy Goof-Ups

Did you know that Star Wars was popular? It was. So basically everything post Star Wars was also Star Wars, even when it wasn't Star Wars. Makes me wonder what would happen to Yogi Bear and company is Candleshoe was the biggest film of 1977.

Anyhoo, this time Yogi tries to be a Star War.

Star Wars (loosely)-type fanfare plays as a Battlestar Galactica-type title comes towards us agains a Candleshoe-type star field. We then see a parade of cartoon characters (complete with a flag with an image I can't decipher on it) wearing blue vests: Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, a duck and a porcupine, who also probably talk like long-forgotten celebrities.
Then after what I would call a starwipe, but it looks more like a Christmas star than a sci-fi star. We then get head shots of the cast!

Space Yogi!

Space Huckleberry!

Space Mentally Ill Duck!

Space Scared Porcupine!

We then see then scramble around a round room until that smash into each other in a big pile. And it turns out their being watched on TV by their space boss who is so angry he turns purple (or the overseas animators weren't given proper directions on how to color the guy. Yogi then salutes his raging boss and then the team rockets (sadly, without Team Rocket) their way to their next mildly-entertaining adventure.

We see our gang at the controls looking worried, then a shot of Scared Porcupine looking scared (porcupine) and glowing brown.

Then things get cray!

We get a shot of what I can only assume is Tori Amos as a bird-thing (with high heel talons, no less). Then a photo negative of a spaceman playing the guitar. Then some weird knight guy is playing the future drums with lazer fingers. I think Ralph Bakshi directed this part.

We then see Yogi dancing to some trippy stuff, which is basically like a less impressive version of the Wolfman segments in the Hilarious House of Frightenstein.

Angry boss guy catches Yogi in mid-dance and yells at him, due to the anti-dancing laws of the future, presumably enacting by the John Lithgow of Tomorrow. In response, the gang rushes into their rocket and speeds off to see their boss.

In what is actually a kind of clever gag, the boss man sees the rocket approaching him on the video screen and is holding his own his arms in fear that it will hit him head on, but instead it smashes from under him because that is how space works. Not bad, but this is a better take on that joke.

Anyhoo, the Galaxy Goof-Ups look up at where they had launched their superior. Zoom up to see him hanging on a star and clearly possessing godlike abilities since the heat of it doesn't completely incinerate him, making him mere fuel for it's celestial furnace. Similarly, the godlike, decapitated heads of the Galaxy Goof-Ups, defying logic by surviving, smiling at their titles and unable to become nothing more than star stuff.

I never really liked Yogi and now I can not like him in space. Now if Yogi were a con artist orphan trying to scam an estate, only to change his ways to try to save it with pirate treasure, that would be another story.

Apparently, the porcupine is another bear, this one named Scare Bear. And the duck is named Quack Up. Hanna Barbera just plum ran out of imagination at this point.

According to wikipedia, this is a spin-off of Yogi's Space Race and also, Yogi spends most of the time in "disco clubs". I can kind of imagine Yogi doing this, but Huckleberry Hound? Not so much.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:35 AM

Meanwhile, despite the Boomerang logo in that intro, I don't recall ever watching Galaxy Goof-Ups (or Yogi's Space Race) on the Cartoon Network. I did catch a few episodes of each on a different channel long ago. Neither was that good, even for a pre-teen who would watch anything.

And yes, every episode of Galaxy Goof-Ups had a gratuitous disco sequence for padding.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM
King Of Space-Time

A number of HB series from that era had similar padding. I suspect an executive mandate...
Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Godzilla

Godzilla

We start with a deep, ominous drumming sound.

"Up from the depths!
Thirty stories high!
Breathing fire!
His head in the sky!"

In the midst of this bombast, Godzilla arises from the see! Yes!

"Godzilla!"

Yes!

"Godzilla!"

YES!

"Godzilla!"

HE'S BREATHING FIRE ON HIS OWN GOD-DAMNED LOGO! Even the humans who we get quick glimpses of look on with worry (one science dude), awe (the woman standing next to him) and pure wonderment (two young kids)!

THIS IS AMAZING!

"And Godzooooooookey!"

At which point we see a goofy dinosaur (dino)soar through the air on glider wings. Whimsical circus clown music plays as Godzooooookey tries to land on a boat in the arctic and ends up tumbling as the wacky music goes into overdrive trying to convince you that this is amusing.

His face says "I'm sawwy!"

What! The! Fuck!

You... you almost had my in the palm of your hand and then you shit on that hand and said "GET IN THAT PALM!" And I'm like "No. You shit on it. And it doesn't look like a healthy shit, either. That's the shit of a man who ate the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles serial and nothing else. I mean, a regular shit would also be disincentivizing, but that looks especially terrible."

Then we see the title "GODZILLA" with a maelstrom of fire behind it, as if the world were ablaze. No. You can't go from Godzooooookey to this! Fuck you!

Prior to Godzooooookey "YES YES YES."

Post-Godzoooooookey "THIS IS WORSE THAN MINYA, DIE IN THE FROZEN WASTES!"
Apparently, Godzooky (only 2 Os and no "e") is Godzilla's cousin. How... how did they know that? And no, I don't need to be redirected to the Godzilla Genealogy Bop. It's not one of the better MST3k songs.

Anyway, Barbera said the following about the show:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Barbera
I liked the monster thing, and the way it looked, and I thought we could do a lot with it. So I contacted Henry Saperstein, who was a very good friend and we got talking about it. Then there was an executive at the network who wanted to get into the act, and urged us to lighten the story line up. So, I came up with the character Godzooky, who was like his son. The show had a sort of father-son relationship, which we had done before on shows like Augie Doggie and Jonny Quest

The problem with the show was simply this: When they start telling you in Standards and practices, "Don't shoot any flame at anybody, don't step on any buildings or cars," then pretty soon, they've taken away all the stuff he represents. That became the problem, to maintain a feeling of Godzilla and at the same time cut down everything that he did. We managed to get a fair show out of it. It was OK. Godzooky kind of got the kids going.
OK, I get you were hamstrung a bit. But there is no excuse for Godzooky. Also "Godzooky kind of got the kids going" is a really gross sentence. Also, "kind of" means "not really, no."
Old 10-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

It's rare that you can pin-point the exact second a program loses you.

At least the other Godzilla cartoon was pretty good, and that's with Off Model Cartoon Matthew Broderick as a lead!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Better be the real thing.

I once got an episode of this on VHS when I was a kid, and just never got it. This was at an age when I was all about the 60's and 70's Showa movies, but "The Firebird" only raised more questions for me than it answered.

I'm trying to imagine Godzooky hanging around Shin Godzilla, and my mind is just unable to process it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Holy shit, that bait-and-switch. The tone shifted so quickly that I have expectations whiplash. It's honestly kind of amazing. I think I might love that intro. If I didn't trust you, I'd think that it was a hand-crafted fake with a modern sense of irony.

chefkiss.jpg
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
King Of Space-Time

Part of what kills me is Godzooky's design is tons better than Minya. Shame it's shackled to this.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Default Goober and the Ghost Chasers

Goober and the Ghost Chasers

Everything about this sounds made up. Like I made it up. Like it is from one of John Hodgman's books or something. I mean, look at that name. It's called Goober and the Ghost Chasers. That can't be real. Or if it is, it's a band you hear on your college radio station, like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

So here we are...

We start of in a haunted house wherein we hear the wacky cartoon equivalent of spooky music. A door creaks open and we see some mystery solvin' teens (not to be confused by "mystery solvent teens", which is a genre I want to see wherein teens try to sell a powerful solvent from an unknown dimension).

The teens starts sneakin' through their house with a green dog. That... that can't be healthy for the dog. Is he living like a sloth. allowing moss to grow on his body and only comes down from his tree to defecate once a week?
As the kids are walking along we here the soundtrack get slightly more threatening than usual imitating the sounds of footsteps. The dog is shown in close up. It's mint green and wearing a stupid hat. I think this dog is torn between playing Ultimate Frisbee or playing with devil sticks while on a unicycle. This dog is going to go to burning man and bother people about the artisan bongs he's selling on etsy. This dog is an insufferable David Cross character circa 1996, if it was a dog. This dog is every unfair depiction of a college age hippie stoner. Because of that damned hat.

Look and despair.

The dog looks over to see a pair of pirate legs. The dog pulls a Scooby Doo and gets scared and skedaddles but what is this? The dog has turned invisible, save for his collar and stupid hat. Suddenly, a decidedly not-pirate ghost materializes and chases after him, making the crime/ghost fighting dog's powers utterly pointless.

The invisible dog and the ghost run (fly?) past the teens. And now, I'm just noticing the teen in front is holding an old school Star Trek phaser. The girl of the group, who, knowing these shows, has the character-type of bring the girl of the group points to the chase and follows suit.

The dog squeals to a stop and then notices he is no longer being chased.
The dog says "Haha, who's afraid of ghosts?" which is kind of an odd comment because unless you spend enough time with them to form a bond of trust, most people. Now, I bet you are thinking "Man, that voice is basically the same as another cartoon voice. But which one…" This bothered me for a long time. I eventually gave up on guessing and looked it up. The voice actor is Paul Winchell. He re-used the voice of Tigger, one of the most beloved characters of all time and the inspiration for every fat, unfriendly, orange cat. Now that I think about it, I've seen a ton of Tiggers and zero Garfields. That's kind of weird. Anyhoo, this truly great character voice is now being used for an invisible stoner dog.

I wonder if just using the voice again was Paul being lazy or if he tried other voices and then the producer, smoking a cigarette and in shadow to make him seem more sinister says in a withering voice "Just do Tigger."
Anyway, the dog falls down a trap door. Now in the dark, with glowing cartoon eyes, says what is sure to be his terrible catchphrase "This is redicul-dicul-dicul-dicul-diculous".

Again, I must restate, everything I said about this sounds made up. It is not Did you know a kid in school who would just make shit up? Not even about himself, he would just make things up about movies or TV shows that don't exist. I had a friend when I was in grade school who swore there was a live-action Darkwing Duck but with humans (this came out BEFORE the Shadow was released, just to be clear). Describing this show sounds like you are just making things up. I imagine the frustration prior to the internet of convincing other people that this show existed.

"No, man, it's like Scooby Doo but the dog was invisible and he spoke like Tigger. Also, we are currently wearing the same hat." I'm imagining this conversation is taking place in a 1993 college during freshman week.

The dog is know shown holding a flashlight, which is taken by a ghost who then chases the dog (who, again, turns invisible, but pointlessly) away.
Again, look at this dog. I'm not the kind of guy who is constantly saying "Oh, they must have been high when they made this" or "I think those characters are high." But the guy who drew the smile on this dog knew how people would take it. They would take it that this dog gets baked and owns a really smelly blanket and/or couch.

Goober then reappears on one of those vague backgrounds that appears in Hanna Barbera cartoons when the animators don't even want to draw that 3 meters of house that they use over and over during chase scenes.
He is then shown trying to explain what happened to him and HOLY SHIT!

The dog suddenly rises onto its hind legs and extends his limbs until he towers over them like some sort of unearthly wraith that is probably making this sound.

The dog beast is now behind them, which has suddenly become my number one fear right now, pointing at the various ghoulies and ghosties in the cartoon.

A pirate!

One of the teens, I'ma call him Johnny Photo, takes a snap shot.

A headless horseman!

A photo is snapped again.

A nobleman conquistador-type guy!

And another snap before the dog drags Ansel Adams, Jr. away (I changed that guys name just now). Then the girl and phaser guy are suddenly accosted by a mummy, exiting his sarcophagus. The kids run upstairs, but it turns out they are trick stairs that send them tumbling down to a basement with a skeleton. The Johnny Photo (I changed the name back) takes a photo of the skeleton, who decides to look dapper in an attempt to become BEAT's next avatar. Nice try, buddy. Though now I kind of wish the show was about that skeleton.

Anyway, the dog uses his monstrous strength to carry away the who crew and the skeleton flies apart and turns into the word Goober. We then hear a nerdy voice, probably Johnny Photo (I'm sticking with this), giving us the title "GOOBER AND THE GHOST CHASERS!" as the characters chase the same ghost from the rest of the opening. He also notes that it features the Partridge Kids, making me think it has a Scooby Doo movies approach to the series.

Kind of. I mean, it's not a great opening, but not as bad as many. And it's bemused me to the point of amusing me.

OK, so the show has few guest stars save the Partridge Kids, who appear in the first 11 episodes to give them support, trusting them to support themselves for their last 5 episodes. The other two guest stars where Michael Gray (TV's SHAZAM) and Wilt Chamberlin (sports' The Basketballsman).

Wikipedia provides no exposition why the dog turns invisible. I don't think anyone can.

Oh, and basically every episode they meet two ghosts: a fake ghost and an actual ghost who helps them fight the fake ghost. I... kind of like that. But the dog turning invisible seems to be a pointless move. Is the dog the son of a ghost and a mortal? What's going on here?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Bertolli?!?...

MARKETING MEETING, INTERIOR

Executive: "I need ideas, people!"
Writer: "Umm, people like Scooby-Doo, right? Let's make that."
Executive: "I like where this is going..."
Writer: "Only, he's, like, a green stoner dog who turns invisible for some reason?"
Executive: "WE'RE DONE HERE."
Old 10-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
MARKETING MEETING, INTERIOR

Executive: "I need ideas, people!"
Writer: "Umm, people like Scooby-Doo, right? Let's make that."
Executive: "I like where this is going..."
Writer: "Only, he's, like, a green stoner dog who turns invisible for some reason?"
Executive: "WE'RE DONE HERE."
Old 11-06-2016, 06:16 AM

Default The Great Grape Ape Show

The Great Grape Ape Show

I'll say this, the show is pretty confident in it's quality. But let's see if those presumptions extend to the opening theme song.

We first see out title character, Grape Ape, presumably the predecessor to Purple-Saurus Rex, doing a one legged hop that shakes the city to its core. We then see a close up, where Grape Ape, wearing a green baseball cap, bowtie and... a baseball shirt? That's probably not what it's called, but his hat makes him look like he's the mascot for a team or something. Grape Ape then belches his name. The theme song starts!

"Over 40 feet high!"

To put that in perspective, imagine 40 foot-long subs and stack them on top of each other length-wise. You will find this very difficult, as these are soft sandwiches and are not meant to be stacked in such a manner. Also, all of the insides will probably fall out. This difficulty properly articulates my inability to put a 40 foot high Gorilla into perspective.

Anyhoo, we see Grape Ape in a Gulliver in Lilliput type situation, and he seems quite happy about it. However, as he lurches up and snaps the ropes, he face is... sort of still. His eyes unmoving. He smiles, but he smiles like a hollow shell of a beast with a dead, stiff face. But he also says "Grape Ape", so he's probably fine.

We then see a not-quite-dead inside Grape Ape now being kissed by what appears to be a Thanksgiving Day Balloon ape. He is then shown with his tongue out and little hearts bursting around his head.

"Just a little bit shy."

We then see a dog in a hat and vest and a bone and collar that look like a bowtie. He gives a thumbs up to Grape Ape. We pan up Grape Ape's body. That's right, audience, drink 'im in.

"But a super strong guy!
The Great Grape Ape!"

We then see four elephants trying to pull Grape Ape, but unable too. He then puffs out his chest and breaks the rope. I have to say, this is impressive, but the elephants plan pretty terrible. Each elephant is pulling on the tail of the previous one, when they should all be holding the same rope. Aside from risking hurting each other, it seems like it doesn't does provide as much support to the first elephant.

Anyhoo, Grape Ape, or the magical talking frog he swallowed who is also named Grape Ape says "That's me." proving he isn't some sort of Pokemon and ruining my fan theories. We then see the dog using Grape Ape fingers as a diving board in some sort of vague place with water. The dog is enjoying it until Grape Ape does a... CANNONBALL! This, of couse, creates a huge wave. But check it out, dudes! The dog is OK, because he is now surfing. Though strangely, he's surfing on a long boogie board, NOT A SURF BOARD.

Wait, doesn't the guy on the left usually have reddish-orange hair?

"If he comes to your town,
He will really put down,
Any bad guy around.
The Great Grape Ape!"

Wait, "put down?" Maybe you were scrambling for a rhyme, TV theme writers, but in my book put down is insult or kill, like put down a dog or cat. Either your solution is very mild or Death Wish -levels extreme.

We get a demonstration of his crime fighting as four generic (but kind of cool) looking get into their kind of cool roadster, only to be plucked out of it by Grape Ape as the pedal his the metal. Grape Ape then lifts up an entire jail house, which is apparently hollow and is no way grounded, which seems like a safety hazard. Anyway, he puts them under it, because Grape Ape don't give a shit about due process.

Also, looking at the jail... that's a small jailhouse. Are there even jails inside of it or is it a single jail in house form and the jailers just hope the criminals don't find a way to tip it over and escape.

I should point out that at this point, the "singer" of the theme song has given up all pretext that this is a theme "song" and just starts talking at us. But in rhyme.

"What a sight to see him joggin' block after block.
Things begin to shake and quake and rattle and rock."

So we see him do some looping walking animation, following the dog (who is driving in a car) and shaking the Earth. We see cars shaking.

Then we see different walking animation as the singing guy shuts up to let us enjoy the glory and the splendor of a cartoon Gorilla walking behind a dog (this time NOT in a care and being lifted a full 3 submarine sandwiches in the air with each step).

"The big, big, big, big GORILLA!"

I love how, again, pretense is dropped. No poetry or similes or cleverness or synonyms. This is the big gorilla show. The premise begins and ends with that. That's all it's got. There's a big gorilla. He's in a cartoon. Watch it, you stupid kids!

It should be noted that with each "big", we see another character looking up to notice that the gorilla is big. This includes a guy who I think is either a movie director or a spy, depending if that is a tiny megaphone around his neck or a grenade tucked into his belt, a business man, a medieval knight and a big guy in a hat. Man, people sure are surprised that a gorilla is big. Seems like a premise that could last for an entire 7 episodes.
We then see said gorilla, to remind us he is a gorilla and that he is big. We then see him on his back, about to sneeze. He does and blows a palm tree's coconuts around, as well as his dog friends.

"I do not recommend,
he is one to offend."

That's... I get what you are saying, but that seems terrible, grammatically-speaking. I mean, I don't demand perfect grammar from my big gorilla cartoons, but why phrase it in such an awkward way. If you said "Friend, I recommend, you try not to offend."

And, in a kind of cute gag (not funny, but at least it required some imagination), Grape Ape takes the dogs car and then, like a toy car, he "winds up" the car by forcing it to move in the opposite direction several times. He then lets it go and jumps onto it as they head... TOWARDS ADVENTURE!

"So be sure he's your friend!"
"Better be sure" croaks the forty foot tall ape.
"The Great Grape Ape!"
(In close up)
"Yep, that's me!"

We then see Grape Ape and the dog coming from behind and on (respectively) the titles in flashing marquee style lighting.

It didn't repel me and song wise it wasn't bad, even when it became more talking than talk-singing.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show?
It didn't tell me much. The dogs name is Beegle Beagle. It didn't tell me about the Grape Ape's goals or personality. It didn't tell me what he and the dog do. Maybe like Jules from Pulp Fiction, their goal is to "walk the Earth". I mean, it looks like crime is fought, but that was a pretty small part of the opening. I think the show is simply about an ape being big and people reacting to it.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
"If he comes to your town,
He will really put down,
Any bad guy around.
The Great Grape Ape!"

Wait, "put down?"
I think you just answered your own question: