The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Bertolli?!?...

So, does the SPACE BANK allow people to withdraw and deposit space, or...?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
So, does the SPACE BANK allow people to withdraw and deposit space, or...?
It becomes more full as people make withdrawals.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It becomes more full as people make withdrawals.
A TOWEL! No, wait, this wasn't a riddle, was it.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 AM

CB Bears

It’s the CB Bears! Already, the name tells us exactly how 70’s this is. You can practically guess the DAY this show was conceived. People where CRAZY about the citizen’s band (or CB) radio for a time with dreams of taking long, hot drives in large trucks, talking to people who would assure that you were a “good buddy”. So it was no question that this fad would make its way to TV. I’m just surprised that this show isn’t about an anthropomorphic citizen’s band radio who loved to eat and was the best friend to a gang of mystery solving teen and talked like, oh, I dunno, Dom Deluise or Mason Reese. Whatever the case, he’d be voiced by Daws Butler.

We start with the titles (what is the name of that font?) and an announcing “It’s the CB Bears Show!” The titles then pan back to a CB radio in what appears to be a disco with the framed photographs of our heroes. Cut to a dump truck in the desert. Now, it’s easy to say that “well, that’s pointless”, but you know that the desert, while arid and dry, is actually teaming with life and in a cartoon world, it is like anthropomorphic (an adjective that I really need a synonym for) life, who likely have garbage to do away with. Anyhoo, it is piloted by the three, awkwardly outfitted bears. I chose not to decide which celebrities they are supposed to sound like, except the one who looks like a big Harpo Marx so he probably says nothing and just plays a harp made of garbage.

“Mobile mystery solvers! Boogie, Hustle and Funk.”

This is probably a terrible cartoon but these are pretty great names for crime solving bears. Though it occurs to me they probably don’t spend a lot of time on the citizen’s band radio.

As they drive away, we see the screen iris out… except this isn’t the omniscient camera of the viewer, they are being spied by a vulture with a telescope and an aviator cap and goggles who is likely NOT omniscient.
“With Blast-Off Buzzard and Crazy Legs in that constant comedy chase of laughs and fun!”

Crazy Legs, as we see, is an ironically named snake and Blast-Off Buzzard is shown forgoing his own scavenging nature to become a predator and finally take control of his life. I’ll admit, I am rooting for the snake, but I admire your desire to shake up the system. I doubt the laughs and fun part, narrator, but I do feel confident that this cartoon feels constant. I did like it when the snake was a spring, though. It was like a pre-Q*Bert bad guy from Q*Bert. I bet that guy had a name, like Snakey or Hissy.

Anyhoo, some quick scenes of cartoon shenanigans are shown that I don’t feel like recapping. Then we see Woogie, Disco and Grunge emerge from garbage cans and look the other way as if to say “and now let’s look at what else we have to show you.” BTW, one nice touch is that the one with Harpo-hair who regularly has a trash lid on his head ends up with two trash lids on his head. Even better, it seems this visual gag is lot on the animators, as for a proper gag, it should have been an identical trash lid.

“Along with Slipshot Sheriff and his Posse Impossible”

We get the briefest of glimpses of those characters before moving along to Blast-Off and Crazy Legs, as if to say “Yeah, we can’t work up much enthusiasm for that segment either.” I don’t even this Slipshot Sheriff shows up in that shot.

“All rolled into a surprise package of excitement on the CB Bears Show.”

We then see clips of all three segments, ending with a surprised look on one of the bears face, as if to say “I’m surprised.” He really is selling it.

“WHAAAAAAAAAA!?!”

Next we see Blast-Off Buzzard pulling some Wile E. Coyote shit but with all the fun and comedic timing removed. Then some more brief clip, including this shot of Crazy Legs. I don’t know why, but it charmed me enough to make a gif. It’s not funny, weird or interesting, but I got to admit, I think I find Crazy Legs charming.

Then more clips and the titles. It’s all quite dull, as so much of this is just “here’s some clips from the show”.

Did It Make Me Want to Watch It?
I have a weird weak spot for things that feel REALLY 70’s with truck drivers and twangy music, but this didn’t do it for me. It also seems like the bears aren’t shown using their citizen’s band radio much, as if that’s just supposed to be the device that allows the bears to get to the real plot. It would be like calling Dick Tracy “Wristwatch Cop” or calling Batman “Bat-Shaped Light Man”. I feel like they wanted to call it “Mystery Bears” but they needed the citizen’s band radio angle to sell the show.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show

Apparently, one of the other segments on the show is called “HEYYYY, It’s the King” about a lion who is also Fonzie. Oh, Hanna Barbera, you’ve been out of ideas since Wally Gator.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I did like it when the snake was a spring, though. It was like a pre-Q*Bert bad guy from Q*Bert. I bet that guy had a name, like Snakey or Hissy.
Close, it was Coily. (Also, learn the classics, man.)

Quote:
Then some more brief clip, including this shot of Crazy Legs. I don’t know why, but it charmed me enough to make a gif. It’s not funny, weird or interesting, but I got to admit, I think I find Crazy Legs charming.

That is a fairly "cute" design for a cartoon snake. Almost makes me want to compare designs between good cartoon snakes and evil ones and see what the differences are.
Also, I guess in the cartoon animal morality scale snake > buzzard.

(I still don't quite understand why a snake needs a helmet though.)
Old 07-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Outraged!

I like that CB Bears theme music. Sounds like something out of a Rayman level with all that mouth harp.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 AM

Challenge of the Super Friends

Oh, God, what can I sat that Octopus Prime hasn’t. Seriously, I can’t imagine you are bothering to read this without reading Octo’s excellent examination of what was the acme of modern storytelling until the release of Fast Five, but if you have, do correct that life error. Like he, I cannot be objective here: it is a thing of pure beauty. I think I was vaguely aware of it before, but it wasn’t I read internet humourist Seanbaby’s articles about the series that I fell in instant love with the series. And challenge is the best one because A) it has the least shitty villains (sorry but as much as I love Jack Kirby, I find Darkseid uninteresting unless written in just the right way) and B) it has possibly the most outrageous plots.

I mean, in theory I should love that the other versions have space pirates and space Vikings and space rock bands and a number of mad scientists who want to shrink them because that’s the only way you can beat… half of them (but guess what? The guy who can fly and chop a mountain in half is probably as scary when he is 1/18th scale. Cause now you look like a fucking mountain you stupid scientist). But these dudes had no pizzazz. And they didn’t love, love LOVE being evil half as much as the Legion of Doom. Look, I love a good tragic, relatable villain as much as the next guy (see 65% of all of the good Batman: The Animated Series episodes) but there’s something to be said for sheer joyful evil, especially in the face of the Super Friends, who I love but are, let’s face it, incredibly square.

So let’s start. We see one of those starfields filled with purple swirls as we some of comics greatest villains, most of them with arms stretched out in a “Booga! Booga!” fashion. So far so good, though for some of these guys it is less appropriate than others. Solomon Grundy? Of course. Lex Luthor with a high collar? That’s kind of odd. Look, the dude is a genuine threat, but I can’t even imagine him trying to pull that shit on Jimmy Olson. Look, Luthor, that stuff makes sense for the physical guys and even Scarecrow, whose whole raison d’etre is “BOO!”, but you can’t go around doing that. It’s weird. Build a giant robot that looks like you and get it to do that, if that scratches your itch.

“Banded together from remote galaxies are 13 of the most sinister villains of all time: THE LEGION OF DOOM!”

Look, I don’t need to get into the inaccuracy of the “remote galaxies” thing, but that is a Hell of an intro. I think it is the first time they brought the DC villains to the Super Friends, so that’s a pretty big deal. When then see Vadershroom™ and the villains doing stuff. Brainiac flying around in a lightbulb-shaped spacepod (cause he’s got so many ideas!), Captain Cold freezing the ENTIRE PLANET, Sinestro bugging Green Lantern with a spaz ray and Bizarro flying (THE FIEND!). OK, Legion, all good stuff, but maybe end with the complete destruction of the Earth’s eco system. Man, Captain Cold is impressive. He froze the Earth with a HAND GUN. Presumably while standing on the moon. He’s really burning his bridges here.

“Dedicated to a single objective: the conquest of the universe! Only one group dares to challenge this intergalactic threat: the Super Friends!”

We then see our favourite Super Friends Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman soaring through some weird nebulous color sky that perhaps has given Aquaman the power of flight. We then see our heroes marching together (or are standing still together and the animation cell is moved about by an underpaid intern) and Green Lantern… just looks so pissed.

Meanwhile, Batman just looks disappointed in something. It could be the first scene is a good vs. evil montage, which is a weird stiff looking Hawkman. We then get a quick shot of Batman, a surprised looking Riddler (I love the Riddler), Solomon Grundy throwing a rock that is punched by Superman, the Flash is a surprisingly stiff looking run (I guess he’s pacing himself) taking down Captain Cold, Apache Chief getting big and chasing Giganta (who is escaping in a weird, limp-wristed manner), Black Vulcan and Samurai flying about, Gorilla Grodd bursting through a door and growling, Wonder Woman catching the Cheetah who is, again, running weird. We end this series of epic face offs with Aquaman and Black Manta in an underwater wrestling match, which ends with Aquaman carting off Black Manta on the back of a whale, being restrained by an octopus and looking thoroughly humiliated.

“The Justice League of America Vs. The Legion of Doom.”

Here we see the Super League of Friend Justice in front of their Hall of Justice and the Legion skulking in their swamp base. We then see the Legion’s menacing faces against a blood-red background. We then get our glorious shot of the two teams running at each other to not-fight (heck, look closely and you realize they are running past each other).

It’s an image so great, it was used again.

Do you think these dudes are just crashing into each other. A lot of these guys have ranged attacks, but even those who don’t aren’t given a lot of room to even though a punch. I think everyone who isn’t the Juggernaut is going to run head first into the other guy and get a bloody nose.

Anyhoo, we get our title, bellowed by the narrator, as the two armies smash into each other.

Yup.

Originally, Captain Marvel and a bunch of his villains were going to be on the show, as well as Batman villains like the Joker and Poison Ivy, but the New Adventures of Batman cartoon quashed that. Heat Wave and Abra Kadabra were also considered, but if you need a Flash villain, go with Cold.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 07-13-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

I was waiting so, so long for you to get to this one. (And thank you for a better intro Gif, I will make ample use of that)

I just love Grodd busting through the door and growling. Everyone else in the intro has some kind of conflict going on, even with the non-violence Superfriends employed, Grodd is just standing there. Opening a door angrily.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Safe Space

Default please tell me I'm not the only one

Quote:
We then see our heroes marching together, heads held high in all kinds of weather

Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

Honestly, I just thought Johnny misquoted the song and I didn't want to call attention to it
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM

The funny thing is I had intended to make the reference and completely blew it despite coming tantalizingly close.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:14 AM
For blood and gold

I had never cottoned that X-Men's title clash was copying Challenge of the Superfriends. Good fact!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 AM

Best thing I noticed: Go back and check out who Jubilee is matched against.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Best thing I noticed: Go back and check out who Jubilee is matched against.
That child is about to die.

Also, the Brotherhood side includes people who didn't actually show up in the show, like Thunderbird and... I don't know who the bald guy is...

Vanisher?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:22 AM

Yeah, that always weirded me out. I never figured out who baldy was supposed to be (not Xavier, the other baldy). There were quite a few potentially contradictory Easter Eggs. Also, remember when the brood kept showing up as hallucinations and then when the brood for real showed up they were all super-dorky looking? With Doctor Octopus arms?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
please tell me I'm not the only one
I was going to post the same thing until I scrolled down and saw that you beat me to it. You are among friends.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I don't know who the bald guy is...

Vanisher?
Could be an off-colour Destiny. Lord knows that cartoon had its share of animation gaffes.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

The only comic character that I can think of who looks even remotely like that is Psimon. Who, y'know... is from DC.

I agree with the "Destiny" theory. Although whomever it is is matched with Storm....

(Wait, was Thunderbird / Warpath ever in the Brotherhood? How did I never notice THAT heel turn?)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The only comic character that I can think of who looks even remotely like that is Psimon. Who, y'know... is from DC.

I agree with the "Destiny" theory. Although whomever it is is matched with Storm....

(Wait, was Thunderbird / Warpath ever in the Brotherhood? How did I never notice THAT heel turn?)
Woulda been the 80s. I had a MSHRPG book that had him as a bad guy.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Oily Butt Thing

He never repped the Brotherhood, IIRC, but he was a Hellion for a while. (Hated the X-Men for letting his brother get croaked.) Turned face when he joined X-Force. This all got re-litigated in whatever storyline where the Upstarts decided to start whacking former Hellions and X-Force crossed over with the New Warriors.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
OK, Legion, all good stuff, but maybe end with the complete destruction of the Earth’s eco system. Man, Captain Cold is impressive. He froze the Earth with a HAND GUN. Presumably while standing on the moon. He’s really burning his bridges here.
No, he's freezing them. He's called Captain Cold not Captain Hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I was going to post the same thing until I scrolled down and saw that you beat me to it. You are among friends.
The super variety?
Old 07-14-2016, 04:59 AM

Clue Club

No preamble, let’s just head straight to it. First, we start with a variant on the “wackicha wa” 70’s sound for a dynamic opening. Don’t get to excited because it gets a little too repetitive in rhythm for its own good and then a bunch of writers got a rhyming dictionary. It’s like when people have to rap on Whose Line Is It Anyway but… actually better than that. Still, not great. But during this cool 70’s rhythm we see a CC logo, which opens up Star Trek doors style and reveals the Clue Club title and a Pink Floyd laser show fingerprint before closing. I sort of love how generic the title is. I feel like it’s supposed to be a great SNL sketch that has Will Forte playing a crime-solving teen. I don’t even know what the rest of the premise is but that’s enough for me.

We then see the Clue Club riding a soup-golf cart (with golf flag, even) across town as night, and get a close up of those crazy kids. We see a generic looking guy, a generic looking girl, a boy with Tom Baker hair, a turtleneck and a sideways Sherlock Holmes (yes, I know it’s called a deerstalker, but when is the last time some stalked deer with one), and a slightly less generic looking little girl.

“There they go and on the double,
To the spot where there is trouble
CLUE CLUB!”

We then see evidence that this show has taken a wrong turn.

There are TWO dog sidekicks. This is an error. I don’t mind shaking up the formula, but a two-pet show is a bad sign. The Brady Kids went fucking pet crazy with a raven, two pandas (who were aliens, I think) and a dog. That’s not good. See, there’s the thing, the pets on these shows are often there to provide comic relief busy work during expository scenes, but if there’s too much pet-stuff going on, it’s a distraction. And I get that these guys are supposed to be working as a single comedy unit, but it feels like you only need one of these dogs to make a joke/comment and a second one is going to tag that tag with his own joke. It’s just too much.

The dogs talk…

“Clue Club’s on the scene.”
“You better believe it, boy.”

See, that already feels too much. I think these are probably dogs who are deathly afraid of silence, because these lines kind of mean nothing, especially the second. The first is just “we are here” with style. Fine. But the second is “I agree” but in a way that assumes an incredulity or uncertainty from the first dog that isn’t there. It would be better if the first line was “Is that Clue Club on the scene?” Then “You better believe it, boy” would work better. Also, if this a Scooby Doo type thing were no one questions when Scrappy talks. I get letting Scooby off the hook because it’s dog talk, often only in exclamation or repeating what other people say. But Scrappy is fully articulate, as are these dogs. I know I’m not supposed to question this, magic realism and all that but I have a feeling if they ever encounter other animals, the other animals act like animals.

BTW, there’s no chance at least one of those dogs ISN’T Daws Butler. Oh and one of the other dogs ALSO has a sideways Sherlock Holmes hat. What’s goin’ on there?

“Dottie does her thing computin’,
Checkin’ clues and trouble shootin’
CLUE CLUB!”

So we see Dottie doing just that. She’s an 8-10 year girl with a full, functioning science lab checking on a computer and looking through a microscope. I bet the clue is soil. DNA evidence wasn’t in vogue yet. Either way, she’s already proved her credentials. It’s easy to see where this is going to go, we are going to get a look at each character one by one and see their skills and/or quirks.

We then see the two dogs again (OK, I’m sure we’ll see the rest of the team in between funny dog nonsense).

“Clue club! It’s routine.”

OK, I can’t understand all of that. I am positive I correctly heard Clue Club and routine, though I don’t know what a routine has to do with Clue Club. Does he mean the crime they fight is simply routine for them? If so, it’s not a great way to articulate that idea. Anyway, as the smaller dog tries to walk, the other one pulls his tail to go first. As he prepares to head forward, some ghostly eyes appear in the darkness and in classic Hanna Barbera fashion, we hear that weird run sound that appears in cartoons despite resembling any actual sound of running or speed or a cycle. I still love it to death, though nAnyway, now the big dog pushes the shorter dog in front of him.

“You go first Whimper.”

Then we see the Clue Club walking through a weird foggy landscape with a strange seaweed covered creature closing in. The dude with the turtleneck turns around and looks shocked! We then see a rogue’s gallery including a Viking, a scarecrow, a different kind of scarecrow and a pirate. The dogs look on, afraidily, and then we see the Clue Club evading various giant arms. This is probably a metaphor for eluding the villains, but I dunno, it could be actual giant arms considering they are also fighting two types of scarecrow and time displaced villains.

The dogs continue to look scared and one leaps into the arms of the other.

I’m beginning to think we don’t have any time for exploring any of these characters and only Dottie gets special attention. Which I guess is OK with me, but it also makes me think she’s the only competent one in the gang.
“One trap door and they go spillin’,
Face to face with another villain
CLUE CLUB!”

Anyway, the kids are investigating a spooky house and fall down a trap door. For a long time. They are almost certainly dead and will have very broken bones. Speaking of they then are face to face with a giant living collection of dinosaur bones, with promptly explode and collapse. Is that what the bad guy wanted? Is that what anyone wanted? What’s going on.

Anyhoo, the dogs start talking again.

“Clue Club, just in time.”

In time for what? To watch a dinosaur explode? It seems like, depending on the context, the problem solved itself or they are decidedly too late to avert disaster. The two dogs hide inside a sarcophagus.

“We’ll be safe in hear Whimp!” Says the larger dog. From what, I don’t know. There’s no obvious danger now that the dinosaur fell to bits. But soon they, and the rest of the Clue Club, who were in there, I guess, vamoose because it turns out there was a mummy in there.

“No fun running from a mummy,
Even though he is a dummy
CLUE CLUB!”

OK, before we get to the visual, I find she lyrics… not wrong, but odd. Now, I think running from a dummy mummy could be fun (see also a stupid ghost, a dim Dracula, a fuckwit Frankenstein, moronic Balrog), but it seems like this statement assumes that the intelligence of the subject is connected to whether you may want to be chased by them. I don’t think this is accurate. Lets face it, someone wanted to rhyme mummy with dummy.

Anyway, as the mummy chases the Clue Club, the bland guy member pulls on the mummy’s wrappings to reveal… a super-villain. This is sort of a lateral reveal his true identity seems to be the Phantom of the Opera. In Scooby Doo, they were average criminals in disguises but here it’s disguise on disguise. I guess maybe there’s rules about arresting mummies so the Phantom thought “I should dress as an un-arrestable monster.”

Any the guy who fit a hat and cape under his mummy costume as the dogs exclaim:

“Clue Club solved the crime.”
“I knew it all the time.”

OK, if they were always rhyming with each other Fezzik-style, I’d be more amenable to a two dog sidekick show, but nah, no thank you.

The Clue Club then drives to their house which has a monogramed garage door, then we see the title again with the characters, which, I got to admit, looks kind of cool.

It Make Me Want to Watch It?
Not really. I didn’t see any gifs I wanted to make in this one.

The show eventually put all of their trust in the dogs and renamed the show Woofer & Wimper, Dog Detectives. Apparently the dogs only talk to each other on the show, which answers the earlier question. This is fine with me. And finally, Daws Butler voice NO DOGS. I am shocked and ashamed.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:45 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Mystery Solving Teens: YES
Talking Animals: YES
Shameless Rip-Off: YES
Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Dottie, that microscope has two eyepieces - you don't need to squint and only look through one! Use the adjustment knobs for crying out loud!

Quote:
We then see the Clue Club riding a soup-golf cart (with golf flag, even)
I think that's a dune buggy. (They were big in the 70s.)

Quote:
I guess maybe there’s rules about arresting mummies
Sort of. You can arrest them but you always have to extradite them to Egypt.

Quote:
The dogs continue to look scared and [the larger] one leaps into the arms of the [smaller one].
Classic but somewhat cliché and hackneyed cartoon gag.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:56 AM

Devlin

It’s funny, there were a brief time when stuntmen where a big deal. Like a really big deal. Eval Knievel was a famous man who jumped over stuff on his bike. I’m not saying a stuntman can’t draw a crowd, but there aren’t any household name stunt people (the closest is Zoe Bell and people who started off as stunt people but aren’t defined by that.) Perhaps people lost their taste for the medium when Eval ruined his reputation by beating his manager with a baseball bat, which tanked Knievel’s would-be film career.

For whatever reason, we tired of daredevils who aren’t Daredevil, despite Ben Affleck’s earnest attempt to end him too. Which doesn’t bother me so much. I do honest believe that Hollywood stunt people need to get more credit for their work, including recognition from the Academy Awards for bringing excitement into our lives. But the “watch a guy jump over stuff” stuff, despite taking skill and bravery, holds no interest for me. That said… DEVLIN!

We begin with some fanfare as our hero flips down his helmet, revs up his motorbike and transforms into three different coloured versions of himself. The three spectrums of daredevil converge into a s black and white daredevil on a tie-dyed background. The Daredevil (Devlin) then flies TOP SPEED into a trailer and if he is not dead, then likely he is severely injured.

The van drives away, perhaps to a hospital or morgue, away from an abstract circus background, only to drive across the screen as a wipe with three people at the helm (one of which is Devlin).

We then see a series of promotional posters.

“Amazing Devlin”
“Thrilling Daredevil”
“Colossal, Spine-Tingling Stunts”

Pretty solid posters, though the lack of graphics has got to hurt the first and last ones. The second one has a little motorcycle, so they are sitting pretty. I guess I could complain that there seems to be no other info on the poster but we don’t see the bottom of the poster, so they could be down there. And they could also be templates, a good thing for a business to have on hand. Still, you guys need more graphics.

We then see a young girl painting Devlin’s name on his bike, which then swirl-wipes into Devlin in black and white back at his tie-dyed stuntscape. We then see our cast: young girl, guy with fro-ish hair, big glasses and dumb hat and the bland-looking Devlin himself. I mean, he’s handsome, but generically so. As for the other guy, I think he looks either like a coked up Hollywood exec with mob ties or a guy at a bar who is going to corner you with his theories about the government. Look, guy, whatever you are about to say, I probably won’t agree that it was faked or was an inside job.

We then spin again into the tie-dye zone before watching a bike riding down a ramp. The girl looks on with concern. Devlin is further down the ramp. Then we see Devlin, hugging his friends and bringing them closer. Down the ramp again. We then see the girl and the not-Devlin-guy playing chess while Devlin reads a book to emphasize that these people has really dull lives when not jumping over things.

Then finally, Devlin jumps over many trucks while leaving glowing after images similar to those in some Mario games when you get the star. Devlin makes it and a spiral of fire follows closely behind. Hat guy and Devlin give each other an awkwardly animated thumbs up.

The girl gives Devlin his helmet and once again the colors are all wonky as he rides down the ramp. We either miss the actual jumps or he just rode down the ramp in order to skid to a stop. Devlin takes off his helmet and we pan away to see his face and the faces of his friends in oval photos with the title beneath them.

No. I don’t really think stunt riding is interesting in general and this didn’t sell it to me. Also, what is the formula: does he fight crime between the stunts or is every episode about the set up and execution of stunts?

It didn’t tell much. It seems, though, that a lot of the stories are about Devlin using his stunt riding to rescue someone or something threatens to shut down the show.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

100% of my exposure to Devlin comes from Harvey Birdman

I am assuming that this is a sensible status quo to maintain.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:21 PM
just ignore my posts

I just want to say that these are awesome. Also, how many do you have left?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 PM

Hey thanks. I'd say I'm not even a third of the way through yet. Also, after I finish, I may do the Sid and Marty Krofft stuff for the hell of it.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Then we see Devlin, hugging his friends and bringing them closer.
Are you sure those aren't his childern?

*checks wikipedia* Apparently those are supposed to be his siblings.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 PM

Dinky Dog

Let’s keep this one short. A bunch of dog paw prints lead to a dog bowl (labelled Dinky) and with a bone in it, and from behind emerges a wee little dog.

“This is the story,
Of a dog named Dinky…”

OK, it’s bad enough that you are essentially ripping off the Brady Bunch theme, but it is doing it in a “cutesy” voice that should be saved only for deep irony. And I have a high tolerance for cute. I unironically like the Ewoks. But I find this really off putting.

Anyway, we get a close up of the dog barking (I will say, the cuteness of the title dog does work).

“He’s just the cutest little doggy at the neighborhood pet store.”

Indeed he was, as we see just that scenario. I hope the girls who are singing, who are scene looking in on the dogs, didn’t mention that at the store in front of the other dogs. It’s just rude.

“We took him home,
This dinky doggy.”
s
OK, first of all, dinky feels like a bad description and name for a small, cute dog. Dinky always seemed like a negative adjective to me, used to descript disappointing penises and cheap toy cars. Next, we see that the girls are using a leash so small that the it’s basically just on the dog rather than leashing it. Hey, girls, JUST CARRY THE DAMNED DOG! Now thankfully the dog is following you, but it is a small, vulnerable dog and it wouldn’t be hard for someone or something to accidentally crush it or step on it. If you are going to do this, at least keep the dog in front of you, so you know what the dog’s situation is.

We then see the doggy being looked after by an older dude, as it sits on his lap.
“And it grew and grew and grew and GREEEEEEEEEEW!”

And the dog gets big in two time lapses, crushing the older dude.

We then see it growing before our eyes out of its dog house to Clifford proportions, with the doghouse house now acting as a camel-like hump, perhaps storing essential fats for the fasting process. This is probably just artistic license for the dog’s actual growing process but it’s a cartoon so I dunno.

Anyway, we then see him sitting between the two girls and licking them so hard they fall over. We then see the girls sitting on the couch with the dog sitting on them.

“And he isn’t a dinky doggy any more, oh no.
Hahaha.
No, he isn’t a dinky doggy any more.”

We then she the older guy getting a paper, only to be tackled by the large pooch.

“NO, NO DINKY, NO!”

I feel confident in assuming this is at least 50% of the girls’ lines in the show. Anyway, we then see the dog sitting on the guy, both of which are no placed on some titles that looks like a Price as Right that I don’t want to play.

Nope, this looks really dull.

In the second season, it’s a world tour, so I guess if you were tired of watching the big dog, now you can watch the big dog in a sombrero or an Asian conical hat. I’m pretty sure it will be the same show with different hats and offensive stereotypes.