The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 10-10-2016, 07:24 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Honestly, I don't feel like any of the particular "features" of the show stand out above any of the others. This is not a critique, simply saying that the appeal of Stuart Gipp in Video World is...Stuart Gipp. Your comedy and personality are completely the stars here. If the show had different features every time it would still feel like the same show.

Even the love of The History of Frogs in Video Games, for me, was based around your reaction to it, how it was this one-off joke that kept invading your world and you just had to deal with it.

In the end, do what feels right to you and the show will continue with its same appeal.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Video World 13 is out!

You are very kind, I blush like an anime
Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
1. Are there any parts of this show that you think are really shit and I shouldn't include?
that guy who does all of the talking

j/k

Honestly, nothing about the show is bad.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Chief Servbot

Cut everything except saying "Jim Power!" in increasingly incredulous tones

The show is great as is
Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Little Waves

The Chimp segments do nothing for me. Mind, I think they're well done, but I'm here for the games.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
The Chimp segments do nothing for me. Mind, I think they're well done, but I'm here for the games.
I would've agreed with Kishi up until this last chimp segment that was just too funny not to share with the world.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Just Say No to Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
Honestly, I don't feel like any of the particular "features" of the show stand out above any of the others. This is not a critique, simply saying that the appeal of Stuart Gipp in Video World is...Stuart Gipp. Your comedy and personality are completely the stars here. If the show had different features every time it would still feel like the same show.

Even the love of The History of Frogs in Video Games, for me, was based around your reaction to it, how it was this one-off joke that kept invading your world and you just had to deal with it.

In the end, do what feels right to you and the show will continue with its same appeal.
This, in its entirety.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:07 PM
The 6 Million Gil Catboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I would've agreed with Kishi up until this last chimp segment that was just too funny not to share with the world.
Everyone has already said how I feel about the show, yeah.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Video World 13 is out!

Nobody likes The Chimp.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 PM
The 6 Million Gil Catboi

It's alright, really, just not as good as everything that surrounds it. And I did laugh at the most recent one haha
Old 10-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Nobody likes The Chimp.
Fricking Chimp
Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Nobody likes The Chimp.
Maybe you should have a new segment - Chimps in video games.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned in 26 states

Quote:
What did that chimp ever do to you, Kishi?

(Shit, what didn't he do?)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:07 AM

The chimp is one part that I feel like is the most artificial of any of the bits on the show. I liked it at first because it felt random and still contained a good joke, but as it's gone on, it feels like you're trying to top what the chimp did last time instead of just telling a joke.

It's still good, but I feel like if you keep doing it in every episode, it's going to become harder and harder to make it entertaining.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 AM
Video World 13 is out!

Alright good feedback. I wasn't going to run Chimp forever, it's easily the most self-indulgent thing in the show, I have a couple more ideas for it but I might dial it back. I have another project in the works it'd fit into better - though that was part of the fun for me. Wouldn't it be funny if this show about video games has a random sort of short cartoon about me living with an ambiguously malicious chimp?

Well, I thought it was funny anyway
Old 10-11-2016, 04:55 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I think that after the first one the surprise of having a cartoon short in the middle of the show wears off and the cartoon has to support itself (and it, in turn, wears increasingly thin since it's basically just the same joke every time). Retire it.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Meggamn

I liked the chimp segments just for being so unexpected. Gives the show a nice change of pace. Maybe take the chimp out for a while but by no means hold back on throwing in whatever funny shit you feel like throwing in.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Video World 13 is out!

I will retire it. Ultimately.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default That is a joke. I enjoy your sincere love of games I wrote off long ago.

I like all of it.

Well, except all the terrible games you like Stu.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 PM
We just don't know.

I enjoy the Stu and the Chimp bits, though they do kind of stand out as being the only non-game related bit.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 PM
concentrate

Definitely don't give up doing weird bits. They're a part of VW's unique charm and the show would be less if it didn't have them.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:10 AM
Video World 13 is out!

Franchise & Lows: Mega Man X

This weekend, swear to christ

Swear to the christ child
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Jump and shoot?

Quote:
Okay so

1. Are there any parts of this show that you think are really shit and I shouldn't include?
Doesn't really matter. As others have been saying, the appeal is not knowing what we're going to get with these, and your general presentation. Keep doing you, but keep changing it up.

Quote:
2. I am considering giving my take on gaming's more "political" issues in similar soapboxy ways to what I've covered already, but I'm concerned that it's a sort of risky road to go down and that one of the reasons people might like my show is that it doesn't touch this shit with a bargepole.
Be careful with this. You're triggering a lot of nostalgia with this thing in a way most LP or review shows don't, by throwing honest love toward games that don't get talked about as much, or just drawing special attention to great things, like the Sparkster cannon. Referencing anything you might mean by "this shit" could drag that down.

I also won't tell you not to do it outright, because you could probably find a way to make it charming somehow.

Also, since I post so sporadically here and forget to say things, I love your segment on Twin World so much. I've never played it or heard the music until then, but I have my own stuff like that, and it's rare to hear people describe how this affects us so well.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Banned in 26 states

Holy shit, I finally just got the joke in "PC Gone Mad". I missed the "Political Correctness" angle at first, and again later, and then again and again.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:50 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Marati View Post
Holy shit, I finally just got the joke in "PC Gone Mad". I missed the "Political Correctness" angle at first, and again later, and then again and again.
Once again I'll say that the "PC Gone Mad" title card makes me giggle whenever I remember it, such as when I am riding my bike or cutting onions or the like.

Last edited by Posaune; 10-16-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Video World 13 is out!

Okay I can't do Franchise & Lows right now so I'll stop promising it. Cannot muster the energy or enthusiasm for it.

Future plans:

Video World until Video World 15 then I'll maybe stop and do something else for a bit. I have a thought that I want to do a longer-form and more detailed video about a single game. So yes, VW15 will be the end of the second series. I'll take a break like I did before, but maybe a couple of months instead of just one.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 AM
Your life is forfeit

Can you also do a documentary on the decade-long evolution of the next episode from Video World Versus XIII to Versus World XV?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM

This is a weird suggestion but I kinda wish there was some sort of print version of your material that I could read at work or just on my phone or something. Then you could call it Stuart Gipp in Video Land, the "Land" distinguishing it as a more compact form of your iconic series, much like Mario Land is distinguished from Mario World as such. I love the videos, and honestly look forward to them a lot, so I'm sorta spit balling ways to get you to make more content.

Also I thought real hard about how you could make "Video Land" into an offshoot of your main series, and like that's a golden idea

But mostly I'm talking out my ass, just wanna say I love your work.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Video World 13 is out!

Here's the weird thing - I was actually considering doing that in eBook form.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:10 AM
Video World 13 is out!

Video World XI, uh, when it's done. I'll try to get it out for the 31st but I dunno. It might be a day or two after. 2nd of November at worst.

Tags
boy joystick controls , fleshlight payola , frogs , games are art , games aren't art , mame angela lansbury , mame lucille ball , the madhair thread