The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Why do you say that?
Like half the allies look they could be straight out of it (Asahi, the girl in the black dress/mask with the meat cleavers, and the guy with the baseball jacket over his suit).
Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Toxic Boots

Looks like "Daguza" may be the Dagda, since Japanese also spells it ダグザ. He does have a Triskelion on his belt, and does sort of look like Doi used Kaneko's Lugh as a reference.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Find Your Reason

OK, for real, I am loving the new marble statue Merkabah and charcoal briquette Lucy. Giving the latter a facial expression and an actual pose did WONDERS for his design, and his throne looks awesome. Shame about his Quato arm, and shame about Merkabah's gold pasties. They... yeah. Eek.

Dagda's design is straight out of Persona 1-3. Maaaaaaaybe a bit too buff for a Kaneko, but definitely hits the same notes. I likes. I really, really likes. And Krishna is fun, too, though I would defer to someone with a closer connection to him before judging
Old 10-07-2015, 09:25 AM
contains words & diagrams

I just realized, reading these threads and seeing scans of Famitsu is kind of nice in a nostalgic way. Seeing people pour over every inch and word trying to pull meaning for a weird new game is kinda cool.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I just wish that whoever was scanning them did at just a slightly higher resolution so I could read without squinting. Whenever I see Famitsu scans, they always seem to be scanned with only the images in mind. The text is definitely readable, but just enough of a pain that I only skim parts I'm excited about.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Find Your Reason

I just noticed, in that last scan, Asahi Beer actually DOES have a demon companion with her, a Parvati. I wonder how partners will function this time around when they and their demons can act alongside you and yours.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

oh, look, i found a version made for human beings to read comfortably

exciting!

all the images are very big, so i put it behind a spoilerpop

HIGH QUALITY, EASY TO READ SCANS HERE (including a two page interview):

Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Toxic Boots

Holy shit, Lucifer namedrops YHVH.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Find Your Reason

Lance of Longinus confirmed.

Owlman 2 confirmed.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Toxic Boots

You know, if only Ghost Navarre wasn't there (he's the only part of this that looks out-of-place/modern mascot trendy, in relation even to SMTIV's own tone), this isn't really a bad first impression at all.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 AM
post-mystic lich princess

While the new Krishna and Dagda designs + refurbished Merkabah and Lucifer designs are excitingly nice, I kind of have to roll my eyes at Mermaid's set-up, with the minimal clothing and precision leg-dip. She's probably going to end up in the same grounds as Moh Shuvuu, swimming in the prevalent demonized-feminine-sexuality motif and all; would have been better to see barely-human designs from a redesigned Melusine / Rusalka or new Iara-Ipupiara / Ningyo, personally. >_>
Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Find Your Reason

I'm on board with him purely on account of him being a fusion of Nemechi and Grimoire Weiss.

If he Streetpass-evolves too, or gives access to alternate demons, or just snarks at anything that would insult a normal person's intelligence, he'll be worth it.

(And he'll probably replace Burroughs as the Gauntlet's AI, anyway, so we're probably stuck with him regardless.)

("Oh, yes, master, I will record your glorious quest of 'eating lunch with friends' as a new mission. How very epic.")
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I think this makes a good first impression even with Slimer. Every SMT has some dumb cutesy comic relief in there somewhere. It could be fine if it's done well.

Although yeah, it's pretty hilarious that Mermaid's fish parts start at mid thigh instead of below the belly button just to make it absolutely clear that you definitely can have sex with this fish girl.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Toxic Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I'm on board with him purely on account of him being a fusion of Nemechi and Grimoire Weiss.

If he Streetpass-evolves too, or gives access to alternate demons, or just snarks at anything that would insult a normal person's intelligence, he'll be worth it.
He will not be like Weiss at all and you know it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I love little blob man.

Also I guess I should finish SMTIV huh. Stopped maybe 10 hours in...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Overheating

The refurbished designs by Doi are excellent. Really looking forward to getting more information about the game in a few days.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:24 AM
so exciting!

Haha so Navarre floats around you when you're walking around like a Familiar? Aww.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I haven't read all the text in the article yet, so it could be in there somewhere, but has anyone seen any smirks? From what I've skimmed the partner mechanic seems like an actual mechanic now, with partners you can actually select to contribute to the party based on what you need. I'm wondering if more customizable partner system now functions as a replacement for the Smirk. (It says Assist Attacks can do thinks like stop enemy actions, which makes me think they're the new weak point gimmick instead of Smirk.)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Find Your Reason

Navarrechi also seeems to be wielding a weapon of his own, judging by that screenshot of Mohawk in the playground.

And speaking of that screenshot, looks like the Firmament's still above Tokyo, but Navarre's dead. Unless this is a Chaos world, or the entire game happens immediately after Flynn returns from the Forest but before he carries out any faction's orders, I wonder what kind of plot shenanigans allow for both of those things to happen.

I'm not familiar with the suffix "Agilaoston". New to this installment?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Navarrechi also seeems to be wielding a weapon of his own
He's one of the characters who can be Partner (along with Asahi). I wonder if whatever Partner you've selected follows you around, or if it's always Slimer.

Slimer uses attack items and stat buffs, Asahi uses HP/bad status curing skills. (Because she's a girl.)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the suffix "Agilaoston". New to this installment?
Agilao Stone, as in the consumable item that casts Agilao when used in combat.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
He's one of the characters who can be Partner (along with Asahi). I wonder if whatever Partner you've selected follows you around, or if it's always Slimer.

Slimer uses attack items and stat buffs, Asahi uses HP/bad status curing skills. (Because she's a girl.)
Nozomi (if it really is her?) is also a partner, apparently I'd expect all possible partners to have different specialties based on alignment/personality, honestly (ten bux says the kid in the yellow jacket casts Zio). And if the guy with the lance and the religious garb IS in fact a Messian, it wouldn't surprise me if Asahi Beer were some sort of novice, herself.

The screenshot with her and Parvati in action has an hexagram drawn over the characters. Maybe it's just coincidence that it appears over Parvati because she's in the middle of the screen, or maybe it's because Asahi Beer ordered her to cast the healing spell?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Agilao Stone, as in the consumable item that casts Agilao when used in combat.
D'oh!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM
This Guy

I like the way this looks. It makes me want to replay SMTIV, or maybe play one the stack of other SMT games I've never finished. Maybe DDS2 or Soul Hackers or Eternal Punishment or Devil Summoner 2 or Nocturne
Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
The screenshot with her and Parvati in action has an hexagram drawn over the characters.
Parvati definitely isn't in the party (Hua Po, Jack Frost, Genbu), so that's definitely Asahi's demon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I like the way this looks. It makes me want to replay SMTIV
With how soon this is coming out (February), it makes me not want to replay (or play for the first time) any SMT games any time soon, so I don't get stuffed before the main course.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Parvati definitely isn't in the party (Hua Po, Jack Frost, Genbu), so that's definitely Asahi's demon.
Yep, I mentioned that before That's why it's possible that partner parties have different skillsets depending on which demons they brought with them. (Come to think of it, the hex reminds me of Sabbatma/Invitation. Maybe the hexagram is actually Asahi summoning the demon.)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 PM
This Guy

Quote:
With how soon this is coming out (February), it makes me not want to replay (or play for the first time) any SMT games any time soon, so I don't get stuffed before the main course.
That is the very reason I have a knee high stack of variously flavored SMT games to play.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 PM
MOE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
in my head canon the main character of smt4f is a girl, because that design looks really good as a girl but is pretty mediocre for a boy
has it been confirmed that the mc is a boy, and not just... voiced by a boy? either way, i totally agree.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
has it been confirmed that the mc is a boy, and not just... voiced by a boy? either way, i totally agree.
It's been confirmed by it being a video game.

And also in the text of the article.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Man, that Famitsu is still on the shelves here. I could totally buy it and get my SMTIV reading on while crappin' or something.

But...I won't
Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 PM
bunch of bozos

Thank you for posting these scans! I'll have to come back and read them more in depth soon...

I'm loving all of the redesigns. Except I just noticed how much Asahi looks like a Kingdom Hearts version of Rinoa Heartilly, and now I can't unsee it! Not that looking like a KH version of Rinoa is a bad thing...?

Also, is there any known reason why Lucifer's left arm is all lumpy and jacked up? As great as his redesign looks, that's... really gross.

I feel like this could actually shape up to be the #1 RPG on the 3DS. Ball is in your court, Etrian Odyssey V!

Tags
atlus , bustin makes me feel good , cu chulainn , ejaculating sea cucumbers , forbi , megaten , rpg , shin megami tensei , slimer navarre