The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 AM
RealSmtfan420

Default Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

Here we go again. I'm eating my cereal, so hopefully Petey can do the work of putting those images here.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM
so exciting!

Check the ghetto friend.

Things to note: Nozomi (maybe), Navarre (maybe), Ugly Lucifer and Merkaba, Medusa via Doi, MC's similarity to Akira (including the Minotaur-like beast standing behind him), allies color coded to their alignment (maybe).

Kaneko is still just credited as series demon designer.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM
RealSmtfan420

I did! It's where I heard about it. This is definitely worth a thread, of course.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:33 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Things to note: Nozomi (maybe), Navarre (maybe), Ugly Lucifer and Merkaba, Medusa via Doi, MC's similarity to Akira (including the Minotaur-like beast standing behind him), allies color coded to their alignment (maybe).
I mean, the chances of it being Akira's story have gotta be pretty high, right?

Nozomi and White Mage Navarre are probably just a case of anime-same-face, like how Vegeta and Goku are in everything Toriyama draws.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 AM
RealSmtfan420

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I mean, the chances of it being Akira's story have gotta be pretty high, right?
It does give that impression. And if they MUST MUST reuse assets, it just so happens that's one of the most interesting parts of SMTIV's story.

Still, revisiting SMTIV's world, instead of something new, is basically the last thing I would have wanted. Then again, its backstory is neat and basically free of issues.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Hellish Brand

I've never read a consistent telling of Akira's background. Kinda weird character that seemed hinted at with random talkie people here and there and then becomes prominent once you go into the Magic Portal that takes you to Bizarro Tokyos. Any... explanation behind the guy?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 AM
so exciting!

On one hand, Akira's story would have a more personal touch that SMT games tend to lack ("I'm gonna find my sister!") and since his storyline is already decided, more or less, by SMT4's story, it would mean the alignment stuff would need to be more personal rather than world redefining.

On the other hand, calling it FINAL is a bit silly when it's like, MIDPOINT at best.

It could be a post-Neutral Ending conflict, because like the Whites say this shit keeps happening, jfc, but I feel like that would take a lot more work on the dev's part to create new, sun light assets, and, I guess those would tend to be less creepy than the perma-night of SMT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I've never read a consistent telling of Akira's background. Kinda weird character that seemed hinted at with random talkie people here and there and then becomes prominent once you go into the Magic Portal that takes you to Bizarro Tokyos. Any... explanation behind the guy?
he climbed out of underground tokyo to the surface and founded the eastern kingdom of mikado.

Quote:
Nozomi and White Mage Navarre are probably just a case of anime-same-face, like how Vegeta and Goku are in everything Toriyama draws.
OOh no, I meant the green spritely thing floating there, which, like, literally has Navarre's hair and pose from his official art.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
You more or less have to piece it together through NPCs, but you don't realize it's important until after the the Ghost of Tokyos Past. I liked that this had really central world building like this that was just kind of there to notice or miss. More JRPGs should do this instead of giving every bullet point in their Lore Bible a billion pages of expositional dialogue delivered by teenage anime morons.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Find Your Reason

*eyetwitch*

Over 100 real-time hours of Fiend-hunting and haven't finished yet.

*eyetwitch*

Navarrecchi

*eyetwitch*

Still haven't done Chaos because of Black Rider.

*eyetwitch*
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

maybe just don't hunt the fiends if it's getting the way of other things you want to do?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
so exciting!

actually, you know, this might be a SMT1:SMT4::SMT2:SMT4F situation, you know like reference wise, if it's a sequel instead of a prequel, but i'm mostly basing that on the big red GOD KILLER thing, and that you kind of have bet and hiroko hanging around (hiroko especially if that's actually nozomi, because both were normal folks infused with god powers from a fairy).
Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Cold Blooded

The stuff in bizarro Tokyo's with Akira was by far the best part of the game, so if it's his story then I'd be down for that. SMT IV was a lot of fun to play, it was just everything around the gameplay that turned me off.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Thunder Wool

Quote:
maybe just don't hunt the fiends if it's getting the way of other things you want to do?
For reals. I was trying to hunt only one of the fiends just for the sake of it (because it was on the ending route I was on) and after wasting at least a dozen hours doing ~nothing~ I threw in the towel and have been infinitely happier. Fiends are awful. No reason to support awful design.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Hellish Brand

Quote:
You more or less have to piece it together through NPCs, but you don't realize it's important until after the the Ghost of Tokyos Past. I liked that this had really central world building like this that was just kind of there to notice or miss. More JRPGs should do this instead of giving every bullet point in their Lore Bible a billion pages of expositional dialogue delivered by teenage anime morons.
I liked that aspect a lot! Added a more mysterious edge to the game and that feeling of "whoa, there's like whole nother novel in this game that I don't know about." It's all so freaking complex.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 AM
so exciting!

Anyway, the famitsu article is supposed to be ten pages, so we'll have some answers tomorrow night, probably.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:19 AM
level 26

I was holding SMT at arm's length for quite a bit there, but a sequel to one of my favorite games? Down the rabbit hole!

There's a lot going on in that image. The slightly tweaked Merkabah and Lucifer designs caught my eye before our new main cast did. Akira's story being an actual game is a solid idea, though it's pretty much inevitable that it won't live up to whatever version of events we imagined it to be. I'm more interested in what happened post-IV, because the Neutral ending left me with this nagging feeling of "okay so what now?" and "is that it?" so if FINAL goes the route of what the world looks like post-recovery, I'm down for that.

if it's a prequel then I have concerns about what Navarrecchi's intended purpose could be in this whole thing.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:04 PM
RealSmtfan420

Hey, Touya, you're alive!

My two cents: Because of the alternate realities of vanilla IV, Final doesn't necessarily need to be a sequel or prequel.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Because my headcanon insists that the True Ending consists of destroying Merkabah, doublecrossing Lucy two seconds after the Chaos Ending's fade-to-black, annihilating his Chaotic demons with the Four Horsemen, and ushering in an era of peace where both Tokyo AND Mikado coexist and trade with each other as sister cities and everyone is free to travel back and forth between them.

The Neutral Ending was so unbelievably stupid in that respect, I can't finish the game without satisfying my headcanon.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

i guess i'll link the famitsu piece here too, now that we have a thread specifically for this game

Quote:
luckily famtitsu is here, the "news" organization telling you everything you need to Please Look Forward to It about Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final

which is a completely new game, apparently!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
The Neutral Ending was so unbelievably stupid I can't finish the game without satisfying my headcanon.
I mean, it's just head cannon, so maybe just like imagine that all that happened and move on to what you actually want do in the game?

Your head cannon shouldn't be slave to the RNG. That's not head cannon at all, it's just an obsession with a perfect save file. In my Persona 4 head cannon Kanji is gay, and Naoto is trans, even though that's directly contradicted by the information presented in the game.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Find Your Reason

Oh, I'm not trying for a perfect save. I won't even try to get Chemtrail or Corpse or the White Ending and I haven't even touched VR and I'm pretty satisfied with where my Quetzal is right now. I'm literally doing it to fulfill a narrative that satisfies me
Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM
so exciting!

in my head canon the main character of smt4f is a girl, because that design looks really good as a girl but is pretty mediocre for a boy
Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Hellish Brand

In my headcanon, SMTIV is a surreal odyssey through my childhood and American/Japanese contemporary culture during the late 80s and early 90s. An opium dream as potent as the one Noodles had in Once Upon A Time in America.

Thoughtz.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Meggamn

I forgot who Akira was. Who was Akira?

Just a thought. If this is another spin-off set in the Etrian Odyssey IV engine, I am going to jump off a building
Old 10-05-2015, 04:43 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
I forgot who Akira was. Who was Akira?

Just a thought. If this is another spin-off set in the Etrian Odyssey IV engine, I am going to jump off a building
He was the guy who founded Mikado. He put Minotaur at the bottom of Naraku to stop idiots from going to Tokyo (it didn't work).
Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Hellish Brand

Yeah I don't want any crossover bullshit. Don't cut my coke with chili powder.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Find Your Reason

SMTIV: THE FINAL in Budokan Arena will be developed by Intelligent Systems and will be set in modern-day Tokyo, in which a gaggle of prep school kids suddenly earn the right to summon SMT Hero, Aleph, the Demifiend, and Dante from Devil May Cry(tm) as Personas. Chiaki will show up as an 11 year-old, temperamental girl who calls you "Big Brother" and turns into a sparkly Baal Avatar whenever she gets upset with you.

The game will be a tactical RPG with one-on-one duels, permadeath, and lots of grim political intrigue.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:04 PM
hi there

This game is representative of SMT trying to be "hip" and "cool" like its child, Persona, by making a bunch of games out of its fourth entry.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Overheating

I know this game is probably going to reuse a lot of assets, but I'd love it if the guest-designed demons were redrawn by Doi as in the artwork revealed today. Bad designs that are well drawn are better than bad designs that are poorly drawn and/or clash with the overall aesthetic of the game they appear in.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Dancing Forever would be worth it as long as Merkabah and Lucifer are playable. Heck, it might even retroactively justify their designs!

Tags
atlus , bustin makes me feel good , cu chulainn , ejaculating sea cucumbers , forbi , megaten , shin megami tensei , slimer navarre