The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 07-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Bob

Default A Collection of Pause Menu Monologues

Throw in one part production experience, two parts game design, and a half part radio voice and what do you get?

My new project, "Pause Menu Monologues", is a collection of recordings aimed at bringing subjective views about video games to the forefront. Here's what you (yes, YOU!) need to record your own Pause Menu Monologue:

1. A word processor
2. A microphone
3. Experiences related to video games

The goal of Pause Menu Monologues is to bring critical analysis of and reflection about video games to the masses. Certainly, we can't all be Jeremy Parish. But we all have opinions and memories about video gaming, and I think it'd be sweet to share them. Make your own scripts and record yourself speaking it, and you've made your very own Pause Menu Monologue which will be archived and shared through the project (with your permission, of course).

Here are two Pause Menu Monologues I made out of my experiences as examples as to what PMMs can be. Don't limit yourself to these topics or styles, though, let creativity flow!

Pause Menu Monologues

"My Video Game Beginnings" by Umby
I establish about how my particular video gaming tastes come about by a look into my past.

"Exploring the World" by Umby
Talking about Super Mario World is a very cliched thing to do. However, I do it here to start talking about exploration in games, and will be using it as a bridge to future PMMs where I talk about some lesser-known games that are close to my heart that utilize what Super Mario World established in exploration.

"Majora's Mask's Atmosphere" by Umby
...so I've never played Majora's Mask, but somehow I feel qualified enough to talk about it. In particular, about the atmosphere surrounding and pervading the game, why I haven't played it yet, and how that atmosphere enhances the emotions the game attempts to evoke.

"On the Mass Effect Morality System" by DJ McFly
DJ McFly, a former DJ who ran "That 80s Show!" on KLSU before he graduated, supplies his opinion of the morality system from Mass Effect. Most of the time is spent talking about how the ending of 3 (with no spoilers, thankfully!) ruined what the series built up in the leadup to the ending.

"Rise and Escape - Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter" by Wolf
Our very own Wolf tells us all about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and why it has affected his life so much. A really comprehensive look at what makes the game special!

"Fire Emblem - Characters and Mechanics" by Umby
I respond to Wolf's Monologue above with a monologue about Fire Emblem and how its characters and mechanics work together with its difficulty to create a memorable gaming experience.

"Wario Land II - Exploration at its Finest" by Umby
I follow-up my Super Mario World talk with a talk about how Wario Land II's exploration stems from but differs from the Mario World exploration we all know and love.

"Enjoying the Unexpected - Animal Crossing: New Leaf" by Wolf
Wolf follows up with a monologue about Animal Crossing: New Leaf and how charming that game really is.

"FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter - Simplicity" by Umby
I talk about how I feel FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter are effective games and why I think the two are linked, creatively. It also doesn't hurt that they share a soundtrack composer, either!

"Pokemon Over the Years"
I attempt to describe why Pokemon has been so strong over the past twenty years and why Pokemon was my favorite childhood series.

So go, let your creativity run free and start talking about your personal video game experiences! If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. I'll be receiving recordings or scripts at my email (PM me to ask for that) and with your special permission will be putting them on my video game radio show to share. Hope you all enjoy making your own Pause Menu Monologues.

NEW PODCAST: The Arcade Leaderboard

After realizing that I and my Co-DJ Quicksave really wanted to have a podcast AND we needed a better outlet for both the Pause Menu Monologues and interviews, we finally have started The Leaderboard, our monthly podcast where we talk about what's at the top of our leaderboards. Tune in for monthly discussions of video games, Pause Menu Monologues, and interviews with composers and cover-band artists!

The January Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, Quicksave, and Lance team up to deliver The Arcade Leaderboard, where we talk about what's at the top of our lists each month. Topics include what we've been playing recently, our video game beginnings, our interview with Grimecraft, our feelings about Undertale, and so much more.

The February Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, Quicksave, and guests Da Maestro and Luke talk about what they've been playing, morality systems in games, The Consouls, and what's at the top of their leaderboards in February.

The March Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, DJ Quicksave, and guest Dylan talk about what they played in March, roguelikes, Zelda music and The Symphony of the Goddesses, and what's at the top of their Leaderboards in March.

The April Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, DJ Quicksave (Daniel PRIME), and guest Daniel talk about Enter the Gungeon, Warframe, getting in character, Ellen McLain and John Patrick Lowrie, and how much they loved The Symphony of the Goddesses.

The May Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, DJ Gameboy (Chad), and guest Chris Bizzel talk about Overwatch, retro-styled games, an interview with Austin Wintory and Grant Kirkhope, and what’s in store at E3 (among many other things!).

The June Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, DJ Quicksave, and Sean talk about E3, an interview with SAMMUS, a Pause Menu Monologue about Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and what they're excited for in July. If you want to send hate mail, our hate mail email is: thearcadeklsu@gmail.com.

Last edited by Umby; 07-18-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Jump and shoot?

These were fun, and I'd like to hear more.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Video World 13 is out!

I like this idea and might give it a gooooooooooooooooo.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Bob

Please do, Madhair! I have a three minute or so written and ready to go, just so show that not all of these have to be as long or as involved as what I do. Thanks for those who showed support so far!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Bob

A third PMM has been written by me on Majora's Mask! Go check it out.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Bob

BUMP because I'm hoping that somebody wants to contribute! We'll be having another PMM come in soon from another DJ, as well, so that's exciting!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

This sounds interesting and I'd like to contribute. What kind of software does a person need to record? I have a headset with a mic (non-USB). Would that be enough?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Bob

"On the Mass Effect Morality System" by DJ McFly

Here's the promised PMM from a former KLSU DJ. I hope his opinions encourage you to make your own PMMs (is there another game with a great morality system? Was Mass Effect's morality system better than what this PMM made it sound like? All of these are great topics).

Wolf, a headset with a mic is what I use to record my PMMs. I use Audacity to record myself, but you can use anything that works for you, as long as you convert the files into an MP3 afterwards. I can add music or do anything you don't want or can't do yourself.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Bob

"Rise and Escape - Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter" by Wolf

Our very own Wolf tells us about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and why it's affected him so much. I get a lot of similar vibes to my first time playing Fire Emblem 2003, and I really want to make a response to this PMM as soon as I get the time. Thanks so much for the submission!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Bob

"Fire Emblem - Characters and Mechanics

I respond to Wolf's Monologue with a monologue about Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, focusing on how the game's characters and mechanics work together with its difficulty to make a memorable gaming experience. What Wolf said about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter reminded me of Fire Emblem. Although Fire Emblem is not as short a game as Dragon Quarter, its short length and high difficult also makes people use information from failed runs to make a better, more successful run.

In fact, I think this idea ties directly into roguelikes. Who wants to make a response about roguelikes and their central mechanics?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Bob

Sorry about the lack of updates, the semester got heavy and I'm going to be really busy for at least the next week. Still, though, I'm willing to help out if anyone is inspired to talk about video games in any capacity and record themselves! JUST LET ME KNOW
Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Bob

As soon as the semester is over I'll continue my Pause Menu Monologues on platformers in the vein of Super Mario World. Still though, would love to hear from you guys. I know you have VIDEO GAME OPINIONS, and I know you like to share them, so go ahead and do so!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Bob

New Pause Menu Monologue up!

Wario Land II - Exploration at its Finest

This one is a follow-up to my Pause Menu Monologue about Super Mario World, talking about how Wario Land II's exploration stems from but differs from the Mario World exploration we all know and love.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Bob

Thanks to Wolf again, we have a new Pause Menu Monologue, this one about Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Enjoying the Unexpected - Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Hope you enjoy, and thanks to Wolf for yet another wonderful submission.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Bob

Good news everyone! After much consideration, The Arcade has come out with a podcast where we talk about what we've been playing as well as put the Pause Menu Monologues and my interviews for posterity. Listen in each month to hear YOUR segments as well as what shenanigans I and DJ Quicksave have gotten into this time.

The January Leaderboard
DJ Miniboss, Quicksave, and Lance team up to deliver The Arcade Leaderboard, where we talk about what's at the top of our lists each month. Topics include what we've been playing recently, our video game beginnings, our interview with Grimecraft, our feelings about Undertale, and so much more.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Bob

This month's leader board is up!

The Arcade Leaderboard: February

This features my interview with The Consouls as well as the Pause Menu Monologue on Mass Effect. Listen in!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Time for mandatory yoga

After listening to that last night, I spent at least an hour listening to the Consouls on youtube. That was a great hour.

I was also really amused to hear talk about a Pokemon tabletop game pop up, considering rebelfire, aturtledoesbite, and myself have been playing that lately. Was the game in question Pokemon Tabletop United like we've been playing or something else?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Bob

Absolutely, although my first campaign was done on Pokemon Tabletop Adventures which sort of is the prototype for PTU, and the second was on PTU. I think the system is a bit wonky, but because I'm really used to the Pokemon universe I really like being able to (more or less) make my own Pokemon games.

Really glad you enjoyed listening to The Consouls! They're awesome and they were incredibly nice both during and outside of the interview.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Bob

Tomorrow we're recording the March Leaderboard, and the Pause Menu Monologue we're discussing is Wolf's Dragon Age Quarter talk! Can't wait to have a great discussion.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Bob

All right! The new Leaderboard is up for April.

The Arcade Leaderboard: March

This episode features a Pause Menu Monologue by Wolf on Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, as well as discussion on Zelda music and The Symphony of the Goddesses, among other things. Enjoy!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 AM
Bob

New monologue on FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter is written but I haven't recorded it yet, and the new Leaderboard is being recorded today!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Bob

Sorry for the double bump, but please tune into The Arcade via www.klsuradio.fm (there's an online stream there) or the TuneIn app, as it's my last day doing The Arcade and I have some special songs on there for you all. I'll post the playlist here in the thread, too, if you ever want to come back to it. I'll have all my talk breaks in there and everything for that special personal touch!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Bob

Ok, I finally got time after exams and graduation and everything to sit down and edit the latest Leaderboard. So here it is!

The Arcade Leaderboard: April
"DJ Miniboss, DJ Quicksave (Daniel PRIME), and guest Daniel talk about Enter the Gungeon, Warframe, getting in character, Ellen McLain and John Patrick Lowrie, and how much they loved The Symphony of the Goddesses."

No Pause Menu Monologue in this one since we subbed in our review of The Symphony of the Goddesses in that spot instead. Our guest Daniel (different Daniel than DJ Quicksave) was fantastic and I'm glad we had him, he added a lot and something fun and different to the conversation.

That PMM I promised about Hyper Light Drifter and FEZ is coming soon, I'll try to get it recorded next week.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Bob

I finally recorded my Pause Menu Monologue about Hyper Light Drifter and FEZ.

FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter - Simplicity

Hope you enjoy, and I also do a small musical analysis at the end which I think is a fun touch! The latest Leaderboard is going to be recorded at the end of this week and hopefully will be edited up for next Monday. There's also an interview with Grant Kirkhope and Austin Wintory that I did on the KLSU soundcloud that we're going to be hearing and discussing on The Leaderboard, so there's a ton of interesting things happening! Hurray!

If any of y'all want to write and record a Pause Menu Monologue, let me know, as the whole point of this project is to get you all writing and discussing, and I want to help that happen.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Bob

Here we are, the June Leaderboard. It includes the most recent PMM on FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter, but also adds in my interview with Austin Wintory and Grant Kirkhope (who were both incredibly awesome and nice!) and of course the usual talk about what we're playing (Enter the Gungeon and Overwatch) and what we're excited for in the next month (i.e. some E3 discussion).
Old 07-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Bob

We have yet another Pause Menu Monologue, this time about Pokemon, a series I (and many others) hold dear.

Pokemon Over the Years
I attempt to hash out my thoughts on why Pokemon is an effective game. It's not comprehensive, but it's what stood out to me when I was brainstorming for this monologue. Is there anything I missed?

Also, new Leaderboard coming as soon as I edit it (hopefully tomorrow).
Old 07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Bob

The new Leaderboard for June is finally up! We talk about E3, SAMMUS, Wolf's Pause Menu Monologue about Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and what we're excited for in July.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Bob

Hey guys, Pause Menu Monologues is getting a revamp! I really have enjoyed the monologues I've gotten over the first year of the project, but the project itself is too aimless and freeform to really go anywhere. I've spent the last few weeks bouncing ideas off of people and writing some guidelines up, and now I have a new format for Pause Menu Monologues, and I really hope it encourages you all to write a script and get your opinions out there.

Pause Menu Monologues v.2

Hi guys, this is DJ Miniboss. The first year of Pause Menu Monologues has produced some very interesting and thought-provoking talks, but I've decided to revamp the project moving forward.

As before, Pause Menu Monologues will be accepting your scripts and recordings of yourself talking about video games in any capacity. PMM has always been about encouraging you to collect your thoughts and send them in, and I've really enjoyed what we've heard so far. However, after thinking about how I could make PMM better, here's what the project has in store!

Each season, starting in Winter 2016, we will have a theme that we want you guys to think and give us your thoughts about. Just write up a script and send it in to thearcadeklsu@gmail.com, and we'll post it up on the Pause Menu Monologues website (currently under work) for everyone to read. But wait, there's more: submit your script before the end of the season and we'll consider putting it on our new Pause Menu Monologues podcast, which will feature our favorite monologues on the seasonal theme. If we select your monologue for the podcast, we would love for you to record yourself speaking the script yourself, but if you are unable to for any reason, we are more than willing to read the script for you.

We will also be trying something new: we will also be accepting dialogues. You and a friend can record yourself talking about a topic of your choice. Obviously, you won't be writing scripts for these, but feel free to send in your recorded dialogues to be considered for the podcast. Please limit these to around fifteen minutes or below, and in order to make this more focused, decide on one or two questions or topics that your dialogue will cover beforehand.

So, for our first season, the topic will be Multiplayer. Whether this is about fond memories of couch-co-op playing GoldenEye 007, nostalgia for World of Warcraft raids with a whole horde of people, or the mystery and emotion evoked by playing Journey with a complete stranger, we want your thoughts and discussion on your experiences playing a game with someone else. Send in your monologues and dialogues, scripts or recordings, to thearcadeklsu@gmail.com by February 27th in order to be considered for the Winter 2016 podcast. If you need inspiration, I've made a sample monologue on how I've drifted more towards multiplayer games as I've gotten older, which you can find here.

Here are the exact dates for the Winter 2016 season:

February 13th: Deadline to submit scripts for the Winter 2016-2017 Pause Menu Monologues podcast, and the date on which the new theme for the Spring 2017 season will be announced.
February 20th: Deadline on decisions on which scripts will be on the podcast.
March 13th: Deadline to record scripts or to defer recording to the Pause Menu Monologue team (currently just me, Umby).
March 20th: Release date for the Winter 2016-2017 Pause Menu Monologues podcast.

So go and write! I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about multiplayer experiences.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Bob

Hey guys, I just wanted to (first bump the thread because I'm a terrible person, but) let you all know that I really want to promote your opinions, but to do that I have to get your opinions first. I really want this podcast to work, and for it to do that it has to happen and get a wider audience. Please support your local forum radio personality and submit some scripts to this season of Pause Menu Monologues! You'd have my undying gratitude and love, not that you don't have that already, Talking Time.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 PM
Bob

Hey guys, I hate to bump this thread once again, but I would love to have any of your submissions for Pause Menu Monologues for its first seasonal podcast. There's a few submissions in the works right now but you (yes, YOU) could have your very own genuine video game opinion played on this not-yet-illustrious podcast. Just respond here or shoot me a PM and I'll help you as much as I can to get started on your own submission.