The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-23-2016, 05:20 PM
This Guy

That scene of Barry Allen running himself out of existence to save the universes is still great nonsense.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:11 AM
Video World 12-2 is out!

Can we please talk about Grant Morrison's Batman run?

I just picked up and devoured vol 3 of his Batman and Robin (Batman and Robin Must Die) and it kind of made me love comics twice as hard again. I've been nothing but impressed with his run. I think I have all of it now, with just Incorporated v1/v2 to go. Really looking forward to getting stuck into that.

Do I need to read Ressurection of Ra's-Al-Ghul? I've read "no", but I truly don't want to miss anything of consequence.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 AM
It's all good, man

I just finished reading everything by him from before the New 52. It's good!

The Resurrection is a decent story but I don't think it's important to the rest of Morrison's run. Except for it helping establish Talia, I guess.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:32 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think Resurrection is a safe skip. Spend your money on The Black Mirror (Snyder's first (?) Batman story from 'Tec, that ran concurrent with Inc.) instead. I think it's the best Dick-as-Batman story of that era, and of course that Snyder guy would go on to be rather more important as Morrison wound down....

I thought that Morrison got a little too caught up in his inherent insanity a few times towards the end, but that he mostly kept up a high quality level for much of the run.

My complaint with the run remains as it ever was: Morrison didn't actually read Son of the Demon before he used it as the basis for Damien (apparently the revelation that Talia and Batman's affair was consensual was something of a shock to him). He's acknowledged the screwups, though, so it's mostly handwaved away.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:39 AM
This Guy

I've had a notion to reread Morrison's Batman run lately. Especially the back half of it. I need to see if Incorporated holds up as a complete story; I remember it changing tones drastically after the New 52 split, but I might have been putting a rosier sheen on the first half than was actually there.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:02 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm the other way, I need to go back and read the first half. I don't think I've re-read any of that since Final Crisis ended.

Tags
chortle at joker's boner , clark kent is sup-*bang* , comics , detective comics , detective comics comics , just read mark waid books , superman is worst hero , tales from the krypton