The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Gerard's mercenaries and gold made for an interesting metagame, too, and I liked having to move past to pickpocket or corner someone for more gold. I ended up opening with the bookie, and then picking up all three of the life-loss guys (Brawler, archer, trebuchet) since I was playing Iaxus and never knew where he'd end up. Wasn't super necessary 'cause I stomped my poor friend. :C What mercs do you usually run?

Clyde was neat but again I was playing him against Byron and my friend couldn't keep up. I had a few lucky stun guards and never lost my modes, either. I opened with Priority then Stun guard, then moved into the movement ones. How do you normally build your Clyde?
Like Destil said, both matchup-dependant. Clive vs. Byron is easy: your first module is Core Shielding, your second is Barrier Chip, and then you basically do whatever because Byron doesn't get styles anymore (every style effect he cares about is On Hit or On Damage except Soulless). Just watch out for being stunned, of course.

Quote:
I enjoyed Iaxus and really like the planes but he seems fidgety. It says he's a counterattacker, and lord knows he doesn't have any priority to go first, but he also seriously lacks stun guard and is hard to maneuver away from anyone who can lock him down. How do you use him effectively?
Iaxus is a weird counterattacker who worries less about taking hits and responding like Eligor and more about making the opponent's attacks overall less effective through Plane shenanigans and spacing/mobility. Minimized and Exemplary are both excellent for hit trades, and Folding Strike is great against opponents that actually get close enough to hit you.

Quote:
I like a lot of characters. One I don't: Lymn. The disparity is a cool idea and I like her style a lot in theory, but it seems like so many characters just don't have the range of priorities needed to make it really stick hard.
Lymn really needs a buff to her Fathomless style, either in the form of a priority reduction (THIS COUNTS AS A BUFF) or a reduction in the Disparity costs. I agree with you that leveraging high Disparity, or even obtaining it in the first place, is tricky, but Lymn is less about getting her stupidly strong benefits and more about making the opponent THINK they're coming, when really she can function at average disparities just fine (Maddening Shot, Reverie Anything But Dash, Chimeric Who Cares Because You're Going First And That's Great).

Quote:
Gaspar: dude is cray.
If you suffer from analysis paralysis, do not play Gaspar.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Set phasers to hug

Sometimes, I think I'm the only person who really likes Lymn.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:21 AM
>MAGIC

I tried out Lesandra for the first time, against Mikhail. For the first few rounds I was pretty down on her. She seemed weak, and I didn't really know what to shoot for - I couldn't really imagine what "the fight is going well" looked like for her. Pretty soon I was at 1 life, and Mikhail was at like... 15 or so. We looked at her ability, though, and it said that the cost to summon a familiar wasn't "paying life", it was "losing life" - which meant that, from that point on, I could summon freely! (Is that really how it works??)

From there, I clawed my way back into the fight using Salamander and Raven Knight to keep Mikhail locked down and in close quarters (he had used his cancel early on in an attempt to blitz me out, so he couldn't pulse away). After like eight rounds in a row where a single point of damage would kill me (some real close calls there - we clashed several times, I used my cancel on his grasp, which would have killed me, and I saved my familiar to soak a ping attack down to nothing), I anted Salamander and struck for an exactly-lethal six points of damage.

It was intense! And I'm a little closer to seeing what a good day for Lesandra looks like, though not 100% clear. But, uh, if anyone knows whether that "pay life" thing is legit, please do tell.

Also, the universal opinion here is that Prof. Krane is loads of fun.

I haven't tried out Lymn yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoon View Post
I tried out Lesandra for the first time, against Mikhail. For the first few rounds I was pretty down on her. She seemed weak, and I didn't really know what to shoot for - I couldn't really imagine what "the fight is going well" looked like for her. Pretty soon I was at 1 life, and Mikhail was at like... 15 or so. We looked at her ability, though, and it said that the cost to summon a familiar wasn't "paying life", it was "losing life" - which meant that, from that point on, I could summon freely! (Is that really how it works??)
I dunno exactly how you were doing it, but no.

Lesandra Machan's Summoning Tips for Cool People:
  1. Every familiar has a cost to summon it. This cost must be paid in blood, but whose blood isn't exactly specified, and it's far preferable to have it be your opponent's blood. If the damage you deal is equal to or greater than a familiar's cost, you can summon it for free.
  2. If you can't make that cost, you can pay the familiar's cost with your own life. No, you can't get this for free at 1 life. If you're spending your own life for whatever reason, you have to have the requisite life to spend. Mandatory life costs (like Kallistar's Elemental Form, or Clinhyde's Stims) can be safely ignored: you don't instantly lose those effects if you hit that low of life.
  3. The important distinction between the two is that, while abilities do exist that reduce familiar costs (Borneo and Guardian), dealing damage DOES NOT reduce cost. If you hit for 3 damage and want a Rune Knight, unless you reduced the cost, you still have to pay 4 life.
  4. Really though, you don't want the most expensive familiar all of the time, but the right tool for the job. Against Mikhail, I'd say to try getting Salamander early and often, since he's slow and immobile enough that you can force him to lose hit trades even with his ridiculous styles (Hallowed being a notable exception, which you'll want one of your Knights for).
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM
hi there

Yeah, the distinction here is between spending life and losing life. Neither will reduce you below 1, but spend life effects fail to function if they would.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:11 AM
>MAGIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
I dunno exactly how you were doing it, but no.

Lesandra Machan's Summoning Tips for Cool People:
  1. Every familiar has a cost to summon it. This cost must be paid in blood, but whose blood isn't exactly specified, and it's far preferable to have it be your opponent's blood. If the damage you deal is equal to or greater than a familiar's cost, you can summon it for free.
  2. If you can't make that cost, you can pay the familiar's cost with your own life. No, you can't get this for free at 1 life. If you're spending your own life for whatever reason, you have to have the requisite life to spend. Mandatory life costs (like Kallistar's Elemental Form, or Clinhyde's Stims) can be safely ignored: you don't instantly lose those effects if you hit that low of life.
  3. The important distinction between the two is that, while abilities do exist that reduce familiar costs (Borneo and Guardian), dealing damage DOES NOT reduce cost. If you hit for 3 damage and want a Rune Knight, unless you reduced the cost, you still have to pay 4 life.
  4. Really though, you don't want the most expensive familiar all of the time, but the right tool for the job. Against Mikhail, I'd say to try getting Salamander early and often, since he's slow and immobile enough that you can force him to lose hit trades even with his ridiculous styles (Hallowed being a notable exception, which you'll want one of your Knights for).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite
Yeah, the distinction here is between spending life and losing life. Neither will reduce you below 1, but spend life effects fail to function if they would.
Well, that's exactly how I would assume it works. But Lesandra's ability is phrased "At the end of each beat, as an End of Beat effect, Lesandra can summon a familiar. If she dealt damage to the opponent equal to or greater than the familiar’s cost, she can gain the familiar without paying any cost. Otherwise, she loses life equal to the familiar’s cost." That is, the way it's written, you first choose to summon a familiar, then check to see whether you've "paid the cost" by hurting your opponent enough, then, if you didn't, instead of "spending life", you lose life (the faq indicates that the game treats loss of life as having occurred in full even if your life total doesn't change, for purposes of thiings like Oriana's Celestial style). Effects like Xenitia's Life Tap or Kallistar's Chain of Destruction refer to "spending life", and those explicitly don't let you spend what you don't have (unfortunately, I can't find a good example in Devastation).

But, yes, it sounded weird to me too. I haven't been able to find any official clarification, and the wiki just referred me to a boardgamegeek thread in which they also came to the conclusion that it was possible to summon for free at 1 life, as does the battlecon reddit's spreadsheet implementation. Still, it'd be nice to get Talton to weigh in...

Last edited by will; 04-02-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Guys I taught Russell about this game and he found Endrbyt

I regret everything
I regret nothing!

I knew I should pop into this thread . A small part of it was the first time I played someone really mobile against you. For all I like the theming of ultra tough characters jumping all over is way more a style I can apply. Another small part of it was that Endrbyt is crazy complicated and I did a decent job of lucking into a combo your character had difficulty with .
Old 04-02-2015, 02:09 PM
TARANTUL

Next time I'm in Seattle I'm seeing how well you dance around a Clockwork Shot.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM
We just don't know.

So I'd tried 2v1 EX battles twice before. EX Karin vs Ottavia and Runika, and EX Cesar vs Alexian and Aria. Ottavia's thing stomped my Karin into dust, and Cesar was a veeeeery close exciting game that I lost by a hair. So I thought the balance was pretty good on those things.

The other night I played my first 3v1 Almighty boss fight. It was ugly. It was really ugly.

I was almighty Eligor vs Kajia, Karin and Clinhyde. It's possible they had a bad team setup; I ended up trapped against the far end of the board for a while by a two-deep wall, while they couldn't really do much to me - Kajia couldn't pull me out, Karin couldn't get Jaeger in there. Even later, Kajia would pull me out of range of Karin's Jaeger attack, etc. They had a few good combos where they'd toss me around and leave me out of range, but in general the characters they had didn't work together too well. Which made me realize that since it's a dueling game at its core you really need to be sharp to look for synergies between characters. Build a team of, like, a ranger, a melee bruiser and a... disruptor? if you want a chance.

Meanwhile, Almighty Eligor gets 2 soak (and 1 power) per token and max 7 tokens, which means he basically takes no damage if he doesn't want to, much less get stunned ever. After a while I started sandbagging by making suboptimal plays and in the end they got me down to 16, a lot of that from bugs, but it wasn't even close to a fair fight.

Also I got to fulfill the things I'd been looking forward to all along: hitting all three enemies with a cannon shot AND slamming an enemy into two others. Although I was disappointed: I wanted to finish off all 3 at once with a cannon shot, but Clinhyde dodged it inside my min range and I only finished 2. Sad day.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 PM
>MAGIC

So I've picked up some tuck boxes to keep the characters in, and I was wondering if anyone knew about any sort of organized set of character graphics / etc that I could use as labels on the top / side of the tuckboxes? I've seen some full tuckbox designs intended to be printed on cardstock and assembled, but I think I'd prefer some labels. Has anyone solved this problem?
Old 05-02-2015, 01:41 AM
We just don't know.

So today we tried a 3-way, as in 1 on 1 on 1. It's interesting but it ended up with me beating on the other 2/siccing them on each other until one died and I still had 20 life. But I was also Arec, who is such a dick. It was delightful and I felt bad too.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Crabjörn

Arec would have a pretty big advantage in a 3-person battle royale from his tokens.

I also think he's one of the strongest characters in the game even aside from that, but as I hate him more than any other character I have not really tested this in full.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:43 AM
>MAGIC

Played as Adjenna versus Gerard. First six or seven rounds went very poorly for me - he got me down to like 3 hp, while all I managed to do to him was a single petrification counter (from dash, which seems really good with her) and one life loss from that movement punishing style.

Then I killed him with Basilisk Gaze.

Oh, and we've just cracked open Flight 5, so far only seen Endrbyt (with two very different builds, I may need to come up with some substitute for a reference card for him...) and played as Kaitlyn, whose gimmick was really neat.

I've also tried out Anath, who was devastating. She shifts between four different 'aspects' that give her huge bonuses and small penalties: +4 priority / -1 power, +3 power / -2 priority, +1-3 range, and soak 2 but can't hit at range 4+.

I've got Evil Hikaru printed out as well, but I haven't tried him and I've never played War, so I don't get the specifics of the joke.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Crabjörn

Hikaru is basically the Ryu/Ken of BattleCON. Straightforward melee bruiser who's got an array of tokens he can ante for stat boosts. Y'know how Pendros is described as a fighter who's just better than the other guy? No, that's wrong, and that's Hikaru's schtick. (Pendros is certainly fun, but his stats aren't nearly that good.)

Evil Hikaru is half a joke on Evil Ryu, and half a reference to Bizarro Superman. All of his stuff tends to be opposites of Hikaru's in some way, i.e. his Evil Elemental tokens are debuffs to the opponent.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:36 AM
We just don't know.

I should try Pendros. I've never played as him before, seen him played once, and he seemed pretty weak. His tokens seemed rather too fidgety and hard to land, too.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:40 AM
TARANTUL

Pendros has like, all the movement, though. Even if you're not hitting the markers much they will often limit your opponents options.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Crabjörn

Good news: BattleCON: Armory is in stock now, so you can do stuff like build characters with new universal-ish bases and use a whole bunch of wacky equipment.

Bad news: This one isn't actually news, because you already knew the shipment of War Remastered and Fate would be pushed back to next month at the earliest.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:10 PM
We just don't know.

Hepzibah is insane. Insane! Nich stomped my Magdalena into dust with her. Although I think I figured out some Mag things, she'll be interesting to mess around with later.

Next he brought out Kehrolyn (I'm guessing on all of this spelling fwiw) and I played Vanaah. It started out pretty ugly, but after a well-placed finisher I turned the tables. We were tied at 2 when I pulled out a win. Really tight, well-played game.

The War standups and tokens are so teeny-tiny! It actually started messing with my conception of range because the characters seemed farther away than normal.

I guess now I've seen 8 of the 17 War characters. I Am Excite for War Remastered and Fate this June August November.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Yes, let's feast!

War Magdelina is one of the weakest characters in the game, in my opinion. Play her with the Remastered rules if you want to use her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remastered
Magdelina has 5 Trance Counters and 3 double-sided Level Cards (0-5). She begins a duel at Level 0.

At the end of each beat, she gains a Trance Counter. At this time, if she has more Trance Counters than Levels, she must discard all of her Trance Counters to gain a Level. She can't gain a level on the first beat that her Trance Counters exceed her Level.

During ante, Magdelina gains +1 Power, +1 Priority and Stun Guard 1 for each Level she possesses.
She also got some style and base changes.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 AM
>MAGIC

What was she like before?
Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Set phasers to hug

She gained a level as an End of Beat effect each time she played the Spiritual style, which has -2 Power and -2 Priority.

If this hadn't changed, Arec vs. Magdelina would probably be the most comically one-sided matchup in the game, up there with gems like Zaamassal vs. Voco.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:28 AM
>MAGIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
She gained a level as an End of Beat effect each time she played the Spiritual style, which has -2 Power and -2 Priority.

If this hadn't changed, Arec vs. Magdelina would probably be the most comically one-sided matchup in the game.
Ah, I see...

that explains her alternate costume ability too (While her Spiritual Style is in her Discard Pile, she is Level 3, otherwise she's Level 0.)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
We just don't know.

I think Nich had the updated versions that came with Devastation Extended, but I don't know if that differs from War Remastered. Like so many other UAs that wording is a little awkward, but lemme get this straight:

End of Beat 1: gain one trance counter.
At this point, having more trance than levels, do you discard the trance for one level? Or:
EoB2: Gain a trance, advance to level 1 (but back down to 0 trance counters?)

So then:
EOB3: 1 counter
EOB4: 2 counters (discard for level 2) or is it EoB5 (3 counters, discard all for level 2)?

This is confusing.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Yes, let's feast!

The ability as worded says you check after gaining a trance counter. So...

EoB1: Gain a trance counter. Trance 1 > level 0, so level up. (Level 1, Trance 0)
EoB2: Gain a trance counter. (Level 1, Trance 1)
EoB3: Gain a trance counter. Trance 2 > level 1, so level up. (Level 2, Trance 0)

and so on.

EDIT: er, but wait... "She can't gain a level on the first beat that her Trance Counters exceed her Level." ???
Old 05-13-2015, 11:20 AM
>MAGIC

Quote:
I think Nich had the updated versions that came with Devastation Extended, but I don't know if that differs from War Remastered. Like so many other UAs that wording is a little awkward, but lemme get this straight:

End of Beat 1: gain one trance counter.
At this point, having more trance than levels, do you discard the trance for one level? Or:
EoB2: Gain a trance, advance to level 1 (but back down to 0 trance counters?)

So then:
EOB3: 1 counter
EOB4: 2 counters (discard for level 2) or is it EoB5 (3 counters, discard all for level 2)?

This is confusing.
I'd expect it's:
EoB1: Gain a counter. Maybe discard it and gain no level? Probably not.
EoB2: Gain a counter. You now have either 2 or 1, and it's the second time in the duel you have more trance than levels. Discard it/them to gain a level.
EoB3: 1 counter
EoB4: 2 counters, discard for level 2.

Definitely awkward phrasing.

Edit:
From Joshua Van Laningham of Level 99:
Quote:
Magdelina's current UA wording (as of proofs) reads as follows:

"Magdelina has 5 Trance Counters and 3 double-sided Level Cards (0-5). She begins a duel at Level 0.

At the end of each beat, she gains a Trance Counter. At this time, if she has more Trance Counters than Levels, she must discard all of her Trance Counters to gain a Level. She can’t gain a Level on the first beat that her Trance Counters exceed her Level.

During ante, Magdelina gains +1 Power, +1 Priority, and Stun Guard 1 for each Level she possesses."

This would mean the first time she would level (at the end of the first Beat most likely) she does not. After this she gains levels as normal for the rest of the Duel.

To further clarify how her UA works: At the end of the Beat, she gains a Trance Counter. After this, her UA checks to see if the number of Trance Counters she has now is greater than her current level. If so, she discards all of her Trance Counters and gains a level.

I'll check the PnP as soon as I can to verify this wording is on there. If not I will update it.
Quote:
She will keep her Trance Counters on this "failed" level.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:10 PM
We just don't know.

So it's:

EoB1: 1C -> Level 1
EoB2: 1C
EoB3: 2 -> Level 2
EoB4: 1
EoB5: 2
EoB6: 3 -> Level 3

Which gets you level 4 at end of beat 10 and level 5 at End of Beat 15.

This is without her unique base, which gives you an extra trance counter. So I guess that base is the only way to actually level up to 5.

Question: said base says both she and the opponent gain 3 life when it hits. Can you gain life past 20 in a normal duel? Or is that a max?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM
hi there

Not quite. It's

1: 1 (first beat counters exceed level, so no level up)
2: 2->0, Level 1
3: 1
4: 2-> 0, Level 2
5: 1
6: 2
7: 3->0, Level 3
8: 1
9: 2
10: 3
11: 4->0, Level 4
12: 1
13: 2
14: 3
15: 4

Things that modify this progression: The Spiritual style, the Blessing base, her Finishers.

Also, I think you're capped at your starting life total? Don't quote me on this.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Crabjörn

Right, you can't ever exceed your starting life. Blessing is therefore best used as a stalling tool (but you already knew that). The good news is, the opponent will be more likely to brush up against that life cap than Magdelina, because they are fighting a level 0 Magdelina and she is not.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
they are fighting a level 0 Magdelina and she is not.
Corollary: The Magdelina mirror match is almost unbearably dull.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 AM
>MAGIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Corollary: The Magdelina mirror match is almost unbearably dull.
I have a perverse desire to play that without a time or level limit.

Tags
battlecon , six degrees of cadenza