The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 AM
>MAGIC

Ah, ok. Can't really say I'm sorry I won't get Mark.PTO.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I've got the full pre-Devastation set of promos (Eddie, Robert, Danny, Claus & Wyndhal). Robert is all sorts of broken, apparently. Eddie is lots of fun.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 PM
We just don't know.

Unlocking? How do you unlock the flights o: what does that even mean?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Crabjörn

When unpacking Devastation, because it is kind of an overwhelming game, they pack most of the cards into flights. The idea is sort of like Risk Legacy, where you unbox more of the game as you get more comfortable with the more basic elements. So, for example, Flight 1 of Devastation has the novice characters (Eligor, Shekhtur, Marmelee etc.), the stock bases, MAYBE special actions? But that's about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 PM
We just don't know.

Ah yeah. Going bit by bit would have made a lot of sense.

I didn't do that. I opened it all up and went WOW COOL when am I ever gonna get to play this
Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 PM
>MAGIC

Yeah, I'm savoring it and not opening a flight until I've tried out the characters & mechanics from the previous one at least once!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 PM
heh

Yeah I've had the game for a few weeks and still haven't cracked open the second flight. I'm determined to win a game with Marmelee, so I may never move on from this flight.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Crabjörn

Marmelee needs to play really defensively in order to get ahead, but once you get that into your head she can do some absolutely batshit things. Don't be afraid to Dash if you suspect even slightly that the opponent is going to do something disruptive.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Marmelee needs to play really defensively in order to get ahead, but once you get that into your head she can do some absolutely batshit things. Don't play against characters you suspect even slightly can ignore stun guard.
With Marmelee, I kind of feel like they were going for "Demitras, but completely binary (and also kind of worse)."
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Crabjörn

Close. Marmelee doesn't really have innate Stun Guard anyway, so she would much rather keep opponents from hitting her outright than weathering it (although Sorceress Strike is an excellent method of ensuring hit trades, and Magnificent Strike moreso if they're dumb enough to stand in range of it).

She could probably use a few more triggers on her attacks that don't require concentration, though.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:11 PM
TARANTUL

Yeah, a style with even a single point of stun guard / soak to pair with shot that didn't require concentration would make her a lot more manageable.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:27 PM
>MAGIC

I've only played Marmelee once, and she seemed neat, but I felt like I was this close to losing the match the entire time. Will definitely have to try her out more, generally what I hear about her is that 1) she's awful, or 2) she's ok but has some glaring weaknesses, or 3) she's great but requires an unusual playstyle to shine. At first I was worried that so many of her abilities required her to have a parity-or-below Concentration flow, but it seemed like I could pretty frequently play an attack where the Concentration ability would get me out of a bad situation, but I probably wouldn't have to use it.

In the meanwhile, I know I shouldn't be daydreaming about other BattleCON sets when I haven't finished opening the one I have, but...

Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Crabjörn

I got bored and bought the print-and-play from the site for Fate of Indines, despite it being on the way within a few months some amount of time.

Spoilers: Thessala's UA is WEIRD.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Crabjörn

There appeared to be separate tiers for print-and-play or physical copies.

I can kind of understand it given the fact that alt costumes from Devastation's Extended Edition were PNP only, but it's a little annoying.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Wait, you had to buy it? Did they not provide it free to backers or something? That's kinda messed up.
I know in the past they said they couldn't make PnP free for physical buyers because they didn't think ahead when setting up the physical packs. Don't remember looking specifically if they had fixed it going forward.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Crabjörn

Played using the PNP against dtsund, using Larimore Burman (Devastation's dragon scenario's human form) vs. Xenitia Zook (vivimancer like Hepzibah, but uses her life to fuel Ottavia-style number-calling effects).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund
Dragonflare is kind of a bullshit finisher
Old 03-18-2015, 02:45 PM
We just don't know.

So I know the whole "thing" is to play best of 3 like in a fighter. But does, uh, does anyone do that? Every time I've played we do one round and it takes long enough that we'd rather change up and try new characters than do a whole extra round. Especially if it was particularly one-sided.

I tried Clinhyde against my friend (Karin). She basically never hit me and I knocked her around and jumped all across the board to dodge her wolf. And yet I kept losing health to my stims, played dangerously and went for the kill instead of healing with my finisher, and she hit me with her finisher (I had her at one edge and Jaeger at the other. Fell RIGHT into it) and I lost. Not bad! I do like his styles, a good mix of range and mobility, but those stims don't seem to be quiiiite powerful enough to make up for the life loss? Or maybe they are.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
So I know the whole "thing" is to play best of 3 like in a fighter. But does, uh, does anyone do that?
I don't usually do that, no. I play however many duels I feel like and don't worry so much about who wins.

Clinhyde is pretty powerful, but compared to most other characters that spend life to do stuff, he tends to give up RAW POWER for his trickery. Compare him with Kallistar or Hepzibah and you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:36 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Bruce Lee babblecom

Not my photo, so I don't know what his UA is. Apparently something to do with follow-up attacks? It would explain why he has negative power on all his styles.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 PM
We just don't know.

Guys I taught Russell about this game and he found Endrbyt

I regret everything

Last edited by Paul le Fou; 03-29-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Crabjörn

Endrbyt is Custom Robo, which I personally love to bits, but playing against him is a headache because of the lack of reference card, and the SEVERE NEED for one.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Guys I taught Russell about this game and he found Endrbyt

I regret everythingo
Sounds about right, yeah.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 AM
>MAGIC

Finally tried out the Dragon Professor boss battle. That guy's brutal! But I think I'd like to try a more traditional EX boss battle - seems like it would take better advantage of the existing interplay in the game's rules.

I was really looking forward to opening the Flight 3 characters, and they seem pretty exciting! Thus far we've only done 2 fights - Clinhyde v. Oriana (a brutal fight, I think I may have done almost as much damage to myself as Oriana did - we spent the last couple rounds at 1 hp each, and I died due to tying up my bases that could activate a cancel) and Byron v. Aria (got in a Faceless Drive round 1 for +4 priority round 2, Aria never really got a chance to get online). The effects in this flight seem really powerful and splashy, and I really want to fight a bunch more to figure out what makes them tick.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM
We just don't know.

I liked Byron a lot more than I thought I would. Having him flit around and lock down people was pretty interesting, and I liked his masks after all.

Kajia and Karin remain my go-to fun characters. I especially like Bug Judo but Karin is just so all-around Pretty Good. I also really want to mess around with Tanis a lot more; I really liked her puppet jumpery when I tried her before.

Iaxus was cuh-raaaaaaaaaazy but I didn't do well with him and I want to try him again. I'm especially interested in his EX mode (can only be defeated via planar collapse, which means it'll take a long damn time to whittle him down! O

It strikes me that mobility and positioning seem to be the most powerful ability a character can have, followed by priority speed. More often than not in my experience, board control has been the overwhelming deciding factor, with Power barely playing into it, and Range too often falling to Movement as a winner. On the other hand, lack of stun guard on most characters leaves them praying that they can manipulate the board or go first so that they can, well, do anything ever (and not whiff all their attacks).

I also have a question that I THINK I know the answer to but want to double check. I know that when you have two on-hits you can choose the order; I'm making sure that the effects of the first will activate the second.

For example, a Breathless(I think) Grasp with Byron will have Grasp's on-hit move 1, and the style's on-hit-range-5 effect. So if you hit someone at 4, you do grasp to move them, THEN you do the other on-hit which now triggers at range 5. Yes?

Similarly, if say Endrbyt's mode gets him 2 tokens for hitting an opponent (assuming this functions as on-hit), he can hit, get the tokens, then activate an on-hit skill that spends or calculates based on those tokens. Yes?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
I also have a question that I THINK I know the answer to but want to double check. I know that when you have two on-hits you can choose the order; I'm making sure that the effects of the first will activate the second.
You're correct. If one of them has a condition, then it's checked at the time the ability resolves.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Crabjörn

Quote:
It strikes me that mobility and positioning seem to be the most powerful ability a character can have, followed by priority speed. More often than not in my experience, board control has been the overwhelming deciding factor, with Power barely playing into it, and Range too often falling to Movement as a winner. On the other hand, lack of stun guard on most characters leaves them praying that they can manipulate the board or go first so that they can, well, do anything ever (and not whiff all their attacks).
Power is still important for the ability to break Stun Guard and to end the fight faster. Some characters (Runika, Hepzibah, Kallistar) rely on having lots of Power on their moves because they simply don't have the longevity to win matches without it. Others (Heketch, Demitras, Mikhail) can't always get that much power, and need to build up enough to win the match, either with a grandiose finishing blow or enough early heavy attacks to put the enemy on the defensive.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM
>MAGIC

One thing I look out for is the ability to make choices after reveal (particularly start-of-beat effects). Karin has seemed very powerful so far in my local group, and I think a big part of that is the sheer amount of movement effects that give her choices once she sees what the opponent is doing.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Crabjörn

That's definitely very powerful. Karin is basically just a solid all-around fighter with no real weaknesses, but there are some other characters who can rely on effects after reveal (Runika's Overcharged style is the strongest in the game, hands down).
Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM
We just don't know.

Yeah, Karin is probably the all-around best character I've run into so far. I think the only time I've seen her lose is when I played Byron against her, but it was only tungwene's first or second game.

I tried Gerard and Clyde and ended up really liking them both for similar reasons. Fast, lots of movement, jumping back and forth.

Gerard's mercenaries and gold made for an interesting metagame, too, and I liked having to move past to pickpocket or corner someone for more gold. I ended up opening with the bookie, and then picking up all three of the life-loss guys (Brawler, archer, trebuchet) since I was playing Iaxus and never knew where he'd end up. Wasn't super necessary 'cause I stomped my poor friend. :C What mercs do you usually run?

Clyde was neat but again I was playing him against Byron and my friend couldn't keep up. I had a few lucky stun guards and never lost my modes, either. I opened with Priority then Stun guard, then moved into the movement ones. How do you normally build your Clyde?

I enjoyed Iaxus and really like the planes but he seems fidgety. It says he's a counterattacker, and lord knows he doesn't have any priority to go first, but he also seriously lacks stun guard and is hard to maneuver away from anyone who can lock him down. How do you use him effectively?

I also like Byron, who jumps around and laughs in your face like a creepy vampire. The masks end up being really powerful; I think both times I've seen him played he's soaked/healed more damage from life resets than he's lost from having the limited tokens.

I like a lot of characters. One I don't: Lymn. The disparity is a cool idea and I like her style a lot in theory, but it seems like so many characters just don't have the range of priorities needed to make it really stick hard.

Gaspar: dude is cray.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 PM
TARANTUL

Gerard: Really depends on the matchup. Against powerhouses who end fights quick I generally skip bookie and go right for the one life loss guy, followed by mage or gunslinger (though it depends on gold). Against charterers who want to nickel and dime you to death bookie for sure, then two or three of the life loss guys. Remember to dash a lot, you can still trigger brawler/archer/trebuchet on a dash and you still pocket a coin.

Tags
battlecon , six degrees of cadenza