The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Banned in 26 states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
OK I'll bite. What was the gimmick for season 1's names? Just most of them ending in O?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was just done as a gag. Episode 5 was originally going to be called "Jello", but I'm guessing they couldn't clear the trademark hurdle.

So, um. Whoof. I shared my F R I N G S B A C K observation with some people at work on Monday before the finale. Today, one of our managers comes up to me and says "You know, I think I have a theory that matches what you said about, what's that guy's name? Frings? Remember that guy Ernie from the beginning of the episode? I'm betting that's Gus." (beat) "He looks just like him. Same curly hair, glasses, he's wearing the same button down shirt and tie."

The outer me politely told him I didn't buy that theory, then was told to "Think about it". The inner me was biting my freaking tongue.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Marati View Post

So, um. Whoof. I shared my F R I N G S B A C K observation with some people at work on Monday before the finale. Today, one of our managers comes up to me and says "You know, I think I have a theory that matches what you said about, what's that guy's name? Frings? Remember that guy Ernie from the beginning of the episode? I'm betting that's Gus." (beat) "He looks just like him. Same curly hair, glasses, he's wearing the same button down shirt and tie."
WOW! Just...

This is like the next (il)logical step beyond thinking Samuel L. Jackson was in the Matrix. This is not just not knowing about the actor, this is a bizarre disregard of everything beyond the fact that "You know, they all look alike." It's like having David Brent share his fan theories.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Oh shit, I think he just blew the lid off this, although not in the way he intended:

The message wasn't "FRING'S BACK", it was "FRINGS BACK". It's a subliminal Burger King promotion!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned in 26 states

The case against:

Gus is connected to Mike's story, not Jimmy's. Trying to argue for Gus's place in the prequel by establishing a connection to Jimmy when Mike is right there completely misses the whole trajectory of Mike's storyline.

In Breaking Bad, Gus has been in the drug game for 20 years. Why in the world would he be undercover as a law firm clerk? Not to mention he's been established hiding as the proprietor of a chain of chicken restaurants.

The people behind the acronym apparently intended for the person behind the note to be a mystery at first, which they would later clue people into by directing them to look at the episode titles. But a lot of people (like me) figured out the acronym ahead of time, so the mystery didn't work quite the way they'd intended. Point is, we have a written record of the show's creators explaining that Gus is meant to enter the show through Mike's storyline and not Jimmy's.

Every other character brought back from Breaking Bad, except for Kaylee, has been played by the same actor who portrayed them originally. Why would they change up just this one? They've been ignoring the age discrepancy issue for everybody else, and it's not like Gus was that young during the time Better Call Saul is set anyway.

They don't even look that similar you fucking racist

I feel sorry for this guy if the TV he usually watches has led him to expect twists of such a nature.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Marati View Post
The case against:

Gus is connected to Mike's story, not Jimmy's. Trying to argue for Gus's place in the prequel by establishing a connection to Jimmy when Mike is right there completely misses the whole trajectory of Mike's storyline.

In Breaking Bad, Gus has been in the drug game for 20 years. Why in the world would he be undercover as a law firm clerk? Not to mention he's been established hiding as the proprietor of a chain of chicken restaurants.

The people behind the acronym apparently intended for the person behind the note to be a mystery at first, which they would later clue people into by directing them to look at the episode titles. But a lot of people (like me) figured out the acronym ahead of time, so the mystery didn't work quite the way they'd intended. Point is, we have a written record of the show's creators explaining that Gus is meant to enter the show through Mike's storyline and not Jimmy's.

Every other character brought back from Breaking Bad, except for Kaylee, has been played by the same actor who portrayed them originally. Why would they change up just this one? They've been ignoring the age discrepancy issue for everybody else, and it's not like Gus was that young during the time Better Call Saul is set anyway.

They don't even look that similar you fucking racist

I feel sorry for this guy if the TV he usually watches has led him to expect twists of such a nature.
Dude, you don't have to explain it to me. I don't think ANYONE was even entertaining his theory.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Banned in 26 states

I'm not arguing any case against you guys. I'm just listing reasons why my eyes nearly rolled out of my head during that conversation.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:14 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah that's one of the dumbest things I've heard anyone ever think about a TV show.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:43 PM
LUV & HAT

Hey, so, regarding the FRINGS BACK thing: it was intentional.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:15 AM

I just finished up the second season, and it was so good. Kinda weird how I nearly tuned out all of the Mike storyline near the end, though.

Spoilery thoughts: Chuck is an amazing asshole, and I like that Jimmy essentially got away with most of his stuff purely because people actually like him. I think that might get at the moral center of this show: Jimmy's a really good con man/sleazeball, but it's because he's genuinely a nice guy.

Mike's story got that stupid vague hint of what will come, which I'm sure is related to Gus, because I don't know why else Hector would have such a huge grudge against him in Breaking Bad. Like I said pre-spoilers, I found Mike to get less interesting in the last 2 episodes, while Jimmy's side of things was riveting.

To get back to Chuck, I feel like if it were any other person on the show, I'd sympathize with his psychosomatic condition. But the way he plays it up for kudos/sympathy, and then clearly uses it to cover for his own shady misdeeds makes me sick. Add in his self-righteous tantrums and I really just want everyone around Chuck to abandon him to his self-imposed fate.

I also see no real repercussions from his taped conversation with Jimmy, especially given the way all of Chuck's other tantrums have played out so far.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Taste the Family

I spoilered it, but we all knew this was coming.

Man, I can't wait for the new season. But I have a feeling I'm gonna have to.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 AM
It's all good, man

Love it
Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Bertolli?!?...

That is amazing. They really nailed it. If I saw that ad on TV, I wouldn't bat an eye.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Hellish Brand

So what's Gus going to be doing then?

Selling chicken with a happy face one minute and slashing some dude's throat with a vacant, sociopathic expression the next?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 AM

April 10th. That's when the new season starts.

Tags
or maybe just call mike , slipping jimmies , team zombie gus