The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Silvers View Post
That was an enjoyable finale.

Howard actually seems kinda decent to Saul when Chuck's not involved? Interesting.
He's still a blowhard but it's clear now that his worst anti-Jimmy aspects were really just covering for Chuck.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 PM
~

Weird great finale to a weird great show.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:08 AM

Totally looking forward to it from here. The finale was a great way to slowly burn down everything about Jimmy and also set up some good background conflicts.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

This is a lot quieter than I expected and I loved it for it. Again, it wisely differentiates itself from Breaking Bad: both are very pulpy, but Breaking Bad would blow things up (literally and metaphorically) while this show is less audacious and more melancholy and sad.

There's a real noirish quality to the Cicero scenes that I loved. A lot of it felt like it was from a 1940's film (particularly that fantastic montage) in a way that doesn't break the reality that has been set up. OK, Marco's last words are a little old-timey film stuff, but while it did take me out of the scene a little bit, it still is a touching moment and it didn't bother me too much.

I'm actually touched that Jimmy's clients care so much for him, so it's going to be sad when he starts dropping them for the drug dealers and drunk drivers he'll be representing in the future. Or are they going to drop him when they see his new persona? After all, Jimmy clearly felt moved when he started getting those calls, so it might hurt a lot when things need to change for his new life.

Also, I loved the fact that after all of the venom seething through the last act in the last episode, there's still clearly a strong feeling of concern between the brothers and things proceed in a rather understated manner. Jimmy doesn't go all sour grapes and quietly and maturely gets his affairs in order. And Chuck looking at his brother and wanting to talk to him was sad, though not enough that I'm not looking forward to the catharsis if Jimmy ever takes him down in a court of law. I still think this might be were things are heading.

I feel bad for Ernesto, since he's in for a career of "Very good... not great but very good" type comments from Chuck. Ugh.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 AM
LUV & HAT

Jimmy's decision felt, again, like Walt's decision to refuse the cancer money. Only they're coming at it from a different angle so it's not just a rehash of the same themes.

I really liked that finale. The series may be somewhat scattered, but they just devoted half an episode to a minor character we've met exactly once and it still felt organically of the show's world.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Half-Ninja

Guess what comes back on Sunday! That's right! Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

But guess what's on Monday. You got it! Series finale of Gravity Falls!

Oh, and I guess season 2 of this thing is also on Monday or something.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 PM
23 ski-dook

OH SHIT
Old 02-12-2016, 05:46 PM

I new that was coming soon but it feels like no one was talking about it. I should try to convince my Dad to watch it. He couldn't stand Breaking Bad. Not because he didn't think it was good but because the lead character lying to his family really made it to uncomfortable to keep going. But I think he might enjoy this a bit more (especially considering how much he loved Bob Odenkirk on Fargo).
Old 02-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Take off every Zig

I still haven't seen this! Mostly because they walked back on the original 'it will go up on Netflix immediately after it airs' promise. At least up here in Canadia. Rassin Frassin.

However I see it was finally added up here on Feb 1st, so I guess I should get around to watching it!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 PM

I missed this when it was first airing since... I wasn't through watching Breaking Bad, but yay, it ended up on Netflix (DVD style) just in time to catch up.

I'm kind of curious where the show is ultimately going, since, well, we know where the two major characters' arcs are going, and it's not really all that far away from where they're starting here. BB spoilers if for some reason anyone in this thread hasn't watched it- That show was just a big ol' morality play, focused on someone who seemed sympathetic, but could consistently be counted on to screw over EVERYONE in service to his own ego, and contrasted against people who, even as hardened criminals, at least had their own brands of clear moral centering. Especially Saul, who pretty well acts as everyone's externalized conscience, and Mike who's just... lawful neutral incarnate.

Good though! Never going to object to more Mike.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I still haven't seen this! Mostly because they walked back on the original 'it will go up on Netflix immediately after it airs' promise. At least up here in Canadia. Rassin Frassin.

However I see it was finally added up here on Feb 1st, so I guess I should get around to watching it!
Wow. It's like, one of the launch programs with Netflix Japan. Though that got started like 6 months after the first season ended.

I'm very... I don't know, saying "excited" feels wrong to talk about this, but I'm definitely going to watch these as they come out. I guess excited doesn't fit because I know in my gut that things don't really turn out well for Saul.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:41 AM
It's all good, man

I haven't seen a single frame of footage from the new season and I like that.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 PM
~

It's back! First episode was fantastic! Hooray life!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 PM
concentrate

Is it weird that I feel that Better Call Saul is superior to Breaking Bad, which is often considered to be the best thing on TV ever? I mean, for one, Jimmy is a much more relatable character than Walter.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:04 AM

Stayed up late to watch it, and it was worth it.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I don't know if my favourite thing about that Hummer was the wheels, the license plate, or the Windows 3.1 "hot dog" colour scheme (with matching shoes). That whole scene was great. I could have watched Mike stare at it in silence all day.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 PM
does the Underpants Dance

The thing which really resonates with me, and which makes this show really distinct from Breaking Bad, is that it's primarily about a a person who doesn't quite know what they're supposed to be doing with their life. Being a prequel spinoff, it answers the question "How did Jimmy become Saul Goodman?" but instead of taking the direct and easy way to that destination, it feels a hell of a lot more realistic than one might expect from a spinoff. And it's a pretty strong character struggle a lot of people can relate to on top of that. I think what I liked most about the premiere was how much time it spent on Future Saul at the beginning.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Anyone stick around to watch Talking Saul afterwards? I did, and I kind of hated it? Were the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad discussion shows that bad? The host was acting as if there was a sniper off stage with instructions to fire if he ever stopped to breathe. I felt like I was getting rushed out of restaurant after I got my bill, and all of the relentless promotion and fan interaction was pretty grating as well. Also, maybe I'm misreading it, but it looked to me as if Bob Odenkirk didn't really want to be there.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 PM

That seems about right. I'm OK with Chris Hardwick on the Nerdist podcast (depending on who the guest is) since it is usually calmer and more conversational than interview-based but despite being an experienced host, I've never been interested in the after shows he hosts. I think one problem with that kind of show is that since it is the network's show and it can't allow itself to be critical beyond "wasn't that great?" Not to say that you need to necessarily say bad things about an episode but it also becomes limiting.

As to Bob Odenkirk, not having seen it, I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. That kind of forum doesn't seem to be his bag (again, he and Hardwick just chatting on the Nerdist made for a much more interesting show since they are more likely just to talk about things they like than be restricted to talking about one specific subject).
Old 02-18-2016, 02:37 AM

I've sometimes caught Talking Dead, because for some reason FOX Japan airs it during the breaks between halves of Walking Dead seasons (yeah, they air it over here, I guess due to no AMC Japan). It's just as bad as Talking Saul sounded.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:30 AM

It doesn't help that it really isn't a show that lends itself to that sort of detailed, episode by episode discussion. The writers are really good at making it perfectly clear exactly why they're doing what they're doing, and making it equally clear where plot threads are going, so... that doesn't leave much to discuss beyond retrospectives on major arcs now complete, and nitty gritty observations like "those shoes were hilarious."
Old 02-18-2016, 08:11 AM

God that was a great season opener. The last scene with the light switch is absolutely great, and I imagine demonstrates why he won't be staying. I also love that the show manages to not have a lot of things happen (at least in terms of a quick checklist of "what happened this time") but every scene is fantastic and says a lot about the characters.

Ed Begley Jr. is a welcome addition to the cast (the more great comedians from the 80's on the cast, the better. Please get Fred Willard on the show somehow) and I'm curious as to what kind of role he'll be playing (I mean, we know what he does but we haven't spent any time knowing who he is).

And, yeah, that opening scene is great. Even though, again, nothing Earth shattering happens, it says so much about the character. Part of me wonders if alluding to some upcoming jail time. Or maybe this fantastic new job will feel like it. He might feel completely lost sitting on the side of the pool doing nothing, but he also might end up feeling trapped.

Gee, what else did I love. Pryce's stupid ass hummer, of course, but also the way he talks about his baseball cards. Assuming this is what happens, I'm definitely curious to see the road that takes Pryce to Jimmy. Of course, it could end up just leading him back to Mike, who gives him some advice. Heck, while Pryce is a pretty obvious tailored-for-Saul client, the relationship between him and Mike could just be a parallel arc that never touches the main story but mirrors things thematically (or at least plays a big role in whatever Mike's arc will be). I mean, I'm guessing it's gonna be the former, but I'll be happy either way.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Episode 2 was so good. I love how friendly and personable Mike becomes when he's lying. That whole scene was great. Well, I mean, every scene with Mike is always great, and this episode was no different.

I'm having trouble getting a read on Chuck. The show's presenting it as if he's there to watch Jimmy fail, and that would certainly be consistent with how he's been characterized thus far, but I think he could be feeling genuinely guilty.

There's no doubt in my mind that we ended up with the better show, but seeing Jimmy represent that bozo at the station really has me wondering what might have been if we'd gotten the Saul Goodman defends a new client every week show that was pitched early on.

Finally, I don't really understand Kim's reasoning in the closing scene. I mean, I get that willful denial is a thing, but she just tacitly gave permission for Jimmy to keep risking everything and not tell her about it. Isn't that the worst possible scenario, where he's risking just as much and she doesn't get to enjoy any of it vicariously or have an honest relationship with him?

Frankly, I think they'd both be way happier if they just started having wild and crazy sex in public places. Same rush that he needs and she finds intoxicating, but fewer ethical concerns and less likely to be career-ending. That or, I dunno, sky diving or bungee jumping. Point being, there are healthy ways to give yourself an outlet that are more exciting than playing guitar, and they might not satisfy Jimmy, but surely it's worth trying.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Dinger!

I don't know, it makes sense to me. She realizes she can't convince him, but she doesn't want to have an argument every time it comes up.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 AM
does the Underpants Dance

This show is so good. It's been a while since I consistently wanted to watch a show the day it airs (probably since Breaking Bad lol).
Old 02-24-2016, 02:30 AM

I really liked the 2nd episode. Yeah, I agree with some of JBear's points, but I think that's the character flaw that leads to Jimmy's downfall.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:14 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
And, yeah, that opening scene is great. [SPOILER]Even though, again, nothing Earth shattering happens, it says so much about the character. Part of me wonders if alluding to some upcoming jail time. Or maybe this fantastic new job will feel like it. He might feel completely lost sitting on the side of the pool doing nothing, but he also might end up feeling trapped.
I thought that's the situation after Breaking Bad. Saul has been "disappeared" and he doesn't want anything to do with the police since he's on the lam from the stuff that happened in BB.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post

I'm having trouble getting a read on Chuck. The show's presenting it as if he's there to watch Jimmy fail, and that would certainly be consistent with how he's been characterized thus far, but I think he could be feeling genuinely guilty.
I think to a certain extent that Chuck doesn't necessarily have a handle on Chuck. I think he's the kind of person who convinces himself of certain things when his subconscious reasonings are a little more nasty. I have no doubt that he's telling himself that he's either just there to be a presence for the company and that he can let all this Jimmy stuff go. But he can't. To me, I think the question is to what degree is Chuck aware of what he is doing. How much of him interfering is him knowing exactly what he is doing and how much of it is a lie he's telling himself.

I think he's someone who truly believes that he's a paragon for good. He also probably believes he's humble about it, too. I think he believes everything he's saying to Hamlin in the kitchen (though he's probably aware of some of the stuff that's eating at him). I wonder if his psychosomatic illness will go away over the course of the show's run as he stops lying to himself about certain things.

I loved much of the episode, but that scene in the kitchen was great. You knew nothing big was going to happen but there was still a lot of underlying tension. It's so great to see Michael McKean again, doing great work. I can't wait to see him in the court room (if we are ever so lucky) where everyone has to turn off the lights like a friggin' vampire is coming into the room. But that might be, realistically, too much for me to hope for, considering that there might be no practical storytelling way to get to that point.

Anyone else think that musical instruments might be a recurring thing in the series (or at least in the season)? It does seem interesting to have two big time lawyers reveal some musical chops in the same episode.

EDIT: Every episode goes way too fast, amiright?
Old 02-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Cold Blooded

I loved Jimmy's expression when he opened the sun roof on his new car, then quickly closed it.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 AM
It's all good, man

Am I forgetting something, or is the scene with the baseball card guy the first time Jimmy has ever truly seemed like the Saul he will become?

Tags
or maybe just call mike , slipping jimmies , team zombie gus