The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Default Better Call Saul: Discussions, Confessions & Lamentations

So this is Breaking Bad: Saul Goodman edition.

I don't mind. More snappy storytelling, dialogue and visual humor? Bring it.

Loved Network reference, the shades of Heisenberg and the most realistic depiction of a court room I have ever seen filmed. That is exactly how it's like.

Saul was never a paper thin character to me in the original series. He was the comic relief but he was more like a Shakespearean fool, i.e. Mercutio than anything else. Now we get to see how he came to be. I'm hooked.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:47 PM
LUV & HAT

I just finished watching the premiere. I don't know if it'll go in this direction ultimately, but I like the idea of it being a sort of heist show about ambulance-chasing scams, at least in the short term. Michael McKean's character is pretty out of left field and I'm interested to see where they go with him.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Yeah, I'm really digging it. Haven't seen episode two yet, but yeah, even in the early going Saul... well, Jimmy... acted goofy but is actually quite sharp and a quick thinker, making for a great lead. That court room opening was brilliant and as I have said, felt very much like a Coen Brothers movie (particularly the prosecutor slowly, silently moving the TV set to the jury).
Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Smudged

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch it yet. Breaking Bad might be my favorite TV show and I don't know if I want to see anything added to that story I love so much. If it stays in Saul's world, fine, but all the marketing and buzz so far has been about cameos and tie-ins and I'm worried about how much of that will end up creeping into the script as the series goes on.

I know that fear is silly, since nothing can change a show that's already finished, and people can ignore whatever they don't like, but I don't know. I'll probably end up watching anyway and just bail if it goes south.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 AM

Knowing that it's set 6 years before Breaking Bad's events go down is good enough for me to not worry about any cameos or tie-ins.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 AM
Take off every Zig

I'm waiting for it to hit Netflix, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 AM

Take off the space blanket.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Who eats breadsticks like that?

Also, my favourite touch in the premiere, by far, was how a bunch of people at the back of the courtroom got out of their seats and starting crowding to the right so they could watch the video of the boys... getting a-head, while trying not to look like that's what they were doing.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Who eats breadsticks like that?
Someone who HATES BREADSTICKS.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 AM

None of you noticed that was Huell Babineaux, did you?

If I don't get any Huell Babineaux this season I am not going to be happy.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM

That'll be fun when it happens.

BTW, that last episode just flew by, in my opinion. I guess it's because the resolution to the last cliffhanger took up a lot of it (and was very fun). I think some reviewers who saw ahead oversold this last episode a bit, but it was still really good and makes me excited for it's future. I loved the public defender montage and the constant decrease in enthusiasm for "It's showtime". What movie was he supposed to be referencing anyway. "It's showtime" has been used in a lot of films. My best guess is Beetlejuice.

Michael McKean is doing good on this show, but I'm really looking forward to where his arc will go, assuming he has one beyond disapproving of Jimmy.

BTW Part 2, I think I used to know this, but today it just hit me like it was the first time: "S'All Good, Man" I feel like an idiot for not figuring that out much sooner.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM
LUV & HAT

I really loved that they drum in Jimmy's Network reference in the premiere by shooting him from the same angle as Ned Beatty.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Oh, one bit of clever dialogue that encapsulates Saul/Jimmy

"You got a mouth on you, don't you?"
"Thanks."
Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I really loved that they drum in Jimmy's Network reference in the premiere by shooting him from the same angle as Ned Beatty.
Episode 2 had an All That Jazz reference apparently. I wonder if this will be an on-going gag: late 70s movie references.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Episode 2 had an All That Jazz reference apparently. I wonder if this will be an on-going gag: late 70s movie references.
I just watched that a couple months ago, so I'll see if I can catch it by myself. Sadly, my Saul schedule is beholden to my grad student wife's workload.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 AM
HAMKING

I loved, loved, LOVED the montage scene with him running in and out of the misdemeanor court making arguments, talking to clients/families, haggling with the prosecutor. I do a lot of that, myself, and goddamn it's fun.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM

This show continues one of my favorite things from Breaking Bad, and that's the cast of characters that look like actual people. You don't really see the insane Hollywood standards of beauty for every character. Even the pretty lady Saul was on a date with looked more in his league.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Red Mage

I gotta admit, I felt pretty bad for Jimmy/Saul by the end of that date scene. He was doing so well for himself for a while.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I'm waiting for it to hit Netflix, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
What movie was he supposed to be referencing anyway. "It's showtime" has been used in a lot of films. My best guess is Beetlejuice.
Just saw the episode. This is the aforementioned All That Jazz reference. Roy Scheider's Bob Fosse surrogate always pre-games before his stressful daily routine by taking a bunch of prescription drugs and saying that into the mirror, with increasing agitation as the movie progresses. I love that this show is upfront about its references, but carries them out beautifully and respectfully to the sources.

I had heard this show felt like Terriers, but the parallel didn't become completely clear until toward the end of episode 2. I'm glad to have more of that show in the form of another show I love.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 AM

I was planning to put together a post on all the allusions to Breaking Bad. I know there's a ton. Unless someone else did it? But if you guys have some, let's see it.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM
LUV & HAT

I did enjoy that episode 2 put everyone in an intentionally very Breaking Bad-like situation, but with a focus on negotiation as Jimmy's skill, contrasted with Walt's bravado and MacGyver tactics.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 PM
It's all good, man

This show is great. Is that because they're making more Breaking Bad with a different main character we already love? Yes.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:37 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I'm catching up on this now. I hadn't seen Breaking Bad until the start of this year when I marathoned it, but I loved it.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Bertolli?!?...

"Hamlindigo Blue" is just about the most amazing shorthand for "this guy is a raging asshole" that I've ever seen.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 AM
is Earnest

I hope we see more of Jimmy's partner from Cicero, that guy's hilarious.

BCS isn't as intense as Breaking Bad, but honestly it's kind of a relief to not have to worry about the main character keeping his family in the dark. Jimmy still lies to people, but he's way shittier at it and people all know that he's shady. Instead the conflict is mostly internal, since he really does want to be a good person. That's a lot easier to watch from moment to moment.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Oh yeah, allusions. Here's some bullet points:

Ep. 1

• Saul looking very Walter White with his 'stache, glasses, withering hair and demeaning, dead-end gig.
• Saul (through his bro) living a less-than-necessary frugal existence as a two-bit public defender because his bro refuses a buyout from a company he helped found and possibly thinks he's owed more recognition. So, shades of Gray Matter Technologies fiasco between Wally and Elliott.
• Saul seeking the help of two knuckleheads whose names might as well be Jesse and Pinkman in a criminal scheme to get himself financially in the black.
• Could Craig Kettlemen be another Walter White-like character? Here's another white guy looking to get rich quick. His wife is already in the fourth stage of her Skylar Syndrome phase.
• The beauty salon. It's not the same one where Saul taught Jesse how to launder money.
• Fucking Mike and Tuco. Yeah, yeah.

Ep. 2.

• Grandma Tuco/Tuco/Saul scene is a great comedic set piece (Marx Brothers?) that echoes the set piece with Grandpa Tuco and his bell from BB S2.
• Desert scene. Bad stuff always, always happens out here, eh? You'd think the cops would be out here more considering all these suspicious tire tracks. And who has the gas money for these excursions? Anyways, echoes of every desert scene in BB, but especially the one with Tuco vs. Jesse/Walt.
• Saul discovers his innate superpower, much like Walt does during the "This is not meth," scene or maybe the scene where he kills Crazy 8 with a bike lock. He is morally perturbed but I gander he'll not vomit again.
• Saul is slowly sucked into a criminal world he doesn't want to be in despite the big bucks he could be making. He's encouraged by Nacho. If you re-arrange the letters of Nacho, you get "Gus Fring." If you re-arrange them again, you get "Marx Brothers."

Ep. 3

• Okay, maybe Saul is the Jesse and his older brother is the Walt, considering the opener. Maybe they're all the same person and this series is a psychologically taut thriller about one disturbed mind.
• Is Kim Wexler Saul's Gretchen? Maybe not since they're so friendly.
• I can't think of any other allusions.

Also, we know Saul will become Saul and that will be his alter ego.

Stylistically, the show has a lot of "abstraction of the everyday" stuff from Breaking Bad, lots of close-ups, unusual camera angles and/or sound effects of mundane items. When Saul hits an elevator button, it's like he's turning on the engines to a space shuttle.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:43 PM

I'm really, really liking this show. I like the brother relationship subplot. Even one episode in, I think I got a pretty good read on the relationship and the flashbacks are playing out pretty much as I expected. I'm mega worried about future Chuck, though. Who's going to bring him ice?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I'm mega worried about future EVERYONE, though.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM
LUV & HAT

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity turns going outdoors into a Danny Boyle movie.

This is a really fascinating tic. I used to deal with various somatic symptoms as part of generalized anxiety disorder, and the brain can trick your body into malfunctioning in really random ways that spiral and build upon one another. It's likely that Chuck is reacting more to his perception of places that would have electromagnetism rather than the electromagnetism itself.

Tags
or maybe just call mike , slipping jimmies , team zombie gus