The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
the combat shown seems to point to a large majority of the game being random fights with wildlife, and I was hoping JRPG's would get away from that at this point.
? ? ? ?

The trailer shows a good amount of "killing faceless soldiers," which is a much more troubling trend than "random fights with wildlife." JRPGs are combat-centric by nature, so I really don't understand what you were hoping for here. Random fights with something other than wildlife?

I don't mean this to come off as hostile or condescending. I'm just honestly perplexed by this opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM
cortbassist89's Avatar
cortbassist89 cortbassist89 is offline
Rawrther.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bethany, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I actually love the character designs and setting. FF8 is probably my favorite FF game, and a large part of that has to do with the modern setting. It's a little disappointing that there's not more diversity in the cast, that's just something you have to deal with concerning most games/media coming out of Japan.

As for breaking immersion/believability with guns. Like... This is a fantasy game. Full of ridiculous magic, crazy monsters, and all kinds of other 'not gonna happen in real life' kind of stuff. Guns are the least of my concern when it comes to if FF is believable. In my head, I just imagine it's something to do with magic - like everyone and everything being magical gives everyone super resistance to shit.
This. This game is looking a lot like FF8 to me, with a Kingdom Heartsy combat system, and I'm A-OKAY with that. Super pumped.

That said, I would imagine the plot gets batshit insane in the third act, like most Final Fantasies. Here's hoping you're not an angel who's the son of sin incarnate and fighting a witch who's collapsing time, or anything like that.

Also that Adamantoise was amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
R.R. Bigman's Avatar
R.R. Bigman R.R. Bigman is offline
Family Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville! Knoxville! Knoxville!
Posts: 8,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
? ? ? ?

The trailer shows a good amount of "killing faceless soldiers," which is a much more troubling trend than "random fights with wildlife." JRPGs are combat-centric by nature, so I really don't understand what you were hoping for here. Random fights with something other than wildlife?

I don't mean this to come off as hostile or condescending. I'm just honestly perplexed by this opinion.
Yeah, the literally faceless soldiers getting sliced up by our plucky heroes isn't great, either. My beef is that a distressing amount of playtime in most JRPG's is spent in a field killing monsters that have no impact on the overall plot, and I'm as tired of that as other people were mowing down waves of guys in Bioshock: Infinite.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 PM
cortbassist89's Avatar
cortbassist89 cortbassist89 is offline
Rawrther.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bethany, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,269
Default

Wait. So. Then what should they fight?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM
fanboymaster's Avatar
fanboymaster fanboymaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,705
Default

I think he's saying they should have less fighting, but given the way RPGs as a whole are paced out by the rhythm of fight/dungeon town/plot you'd pretty much burn out on it pretty quickly if it was just plot plot go here more plot.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 PM
ThricebornPhoenix ThricebornPhoenix is offline
mellow dramatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
I think he's saying they should have less fighting, but given the way RPGs as a whole are paced out by the rhythm of fight/dungeon town/plot you'd pretty much burn out on it pretty quickly if it was just plot plot go here more plot.
Or maybe just fewer meaningless random battles? Or possibly other meaningful systems instead of combat.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 PM
fanboymaster's Avatar
fanboymaster fanboymaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,705
Default

It's an RPG, meaningful systems always float back to combat in video game contexts because it's clearly defined.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:12 PM
cortbassist89's Avatar
cortbassist89 cortbassist89 is offline
Rawrther.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bethany, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,269
Default

Luckily I like mindlessly grinding against spreadsheets to make the numbers in my own spreadsheet higher.

Yay ocd!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Bongo Bill's Avatar
Bongo Bill Bongo Bill is offline
oh my car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Land
Posts: 18,595
Default

These games are about combat the way Mario is about platforms. They have stories but they're incidental.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,807
Default

I think this one is far enough afield from the series norm as it is that it doesn't need to reinvent genres as well.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 PM
BeeZee's Avatar
BeeZee BeeZee is offline
Horrendous Space Kablooie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,147
Default

Personally, I want to roam around killing monsters. I haven't enjoyed the story in an FF game since I was a kid, but I love exploring, finding new monsters, and experimenting with character builds to kill them with. If those monsters are amazing-looking updates to FF mainstays, like the adamantoise, or if they're resurrections of deeper cuts like the Garulas, so much the better.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 PM
aturtledoesbite's Avatar
aturtledoesbite aturtledoesbite is offline
hi there
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 14,475
Default

This is the important question:

Can you attack by ramming monsters with your car?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
This is the important question:

Can you attack by ramming monsters with your car?
Whoa, whoa, whoa. They just waxed that thing.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Destil's Avatar
Destil Destil is offline
TARANTUL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 20,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
This is the important question:

Can you attack by ramming monsters with your car?
You can, but the license for the car first shows up 14 hours after you get it and only if you didn't open the chest in the trunk.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 PM
LancerECNM's Avatar
LancerECNM LancerECNM is offline
Not A Low-Level Life Form
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Space Virginia
Posts: 7,166
Default

I'm wondering if monsters are a pre-existent thing in FFXV's world, or if the Crystal shenanigans seen in the earlier trailers are responsible. Like, pretty clearly, those Garula are natural creatures, if aggressive (side note, if they're out and about in the field away from civilization, they might be hunting for food). But then, things like the Behemoths that protag was sneaking around in the earlier trailers? Are Behemoths just a thing people have to deal with day-to-day in XVland? Are they an endangered species that has been trained for war by unscrupulous foes? Are they engineered weapons? I think the strength a Final Fantasy set in modern day is the ability to examine more of the whys of a world. In the earlier games, more than a few cited monsters as an imbalance caused by damaged crystals. A great deal of monsters in FF7 were engineered by Shinra or mutated by Jenova's influence. FF8's monsters were literally alien, pouring from the moon to lay waste to the planet every once in a while. And our most recent single-player example, FFXIII, the monsters were either defense forces cybernetically enhanced/controlled by Cocoon forces, or the "super predators" resultant of a Gran Pulse essentially reduced to the prehistoric era.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 PM
cortbassist89's Avatar
cortbassist89 cortbassist89 is offline
Rawrther.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bethany, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I'm wondering if monsters are a pre-existent thing in FFXV's world, or if the Crystal shenanigans seen in the earlier trailers are responsible. Like, pretty clearly, those Garula are natural creatures, if aggressive (side note, if they're out and about in the field away from civilization, they might be hunting for food). But then, things like the Behemoths that protag was sneaking around in the earlier trailers? Are Behemoths just a thing people have to deal with day-to-day in XVland? Are they an endangered species that has been trained for war by unscrupulous foes? Are they engineered weapons? I think the strength a Final Fantasy set in modern day is the ability to examine more of the whys of a world. In the earlier games, more than a few cited monsters as an imbalance caused by damaged crystals. A great deal of monsters in FF7 were engineered by Shinra or mutated by Jenova's influence. FF8's monsters were literally alien, pouring from the moon to lay waste to the planet every once in a while. And our most recent single-player example, FFXIII, the monsters were either defense forces cybernetically enhanced/controlled by Cocoon forces, or the "super predators" resultant of a Gran Pulse essentially reduced to the prehistoric era.
I feel like the monsters are a new thing, because they were really shocked and confused by that adamantoise. But then again, it was fucking huge so maybe that's just why
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM
LancerECNM's Avatar
LancerECNM LancerECNM is offline
Not A Low-Level Life Form
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Space Virginia
Posts: 7,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
I feel like the monsters are a new thing, because they were really shocked and confused by that adamantoise. But then again, it was fucking huge so maybe that's just why
Yeah, that could be the sheltered-ass prince seeing the world for the first time.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 PM
R.R. Bigman's Avatar
R.R. Bigman R.R. Bigman is offline
Family Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville! Knoxville! Knoxville!
Posts: 8,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
This is the important question:

Can you attack by ramming monsters with your car?
What if the car was the fifth party member!? You could equip her (cars are all girls, you know) with orichalcum rims and a legendary hood ornament that you get for pulling off the ultimate donut!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,983
Default

License plate REIS-113. FFT reference?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 PM
aturtledoesbite's Avatar
aturtledoesbite aturtledoesbite is offline
hi there
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 14,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
License plate REIS-113. FFT reference?
If it is, are you going to explain how you got to that?
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 09-19-2014, 11:08 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,196
Default

Some footage:



Screenshots from that footage:



He said he didn't want to explain game systems at this point, but there were two things:

(1) If you hold down dodge, he'll just keep dodging. If you hold down attack, he'll just keep attacking. He emphasized how simple it was. I wouldn't read too far into this yet.

(2) Group attacks automatically happen if your characters are positioned to do them.

There will probably be an impulse to take these tidbits of information and jump to a conclusion that this will be boring or too automated or whatever, but I'd give it more time to get actual details. Also, as someone who likes the XII and XIII systems, if anything that doesn't sound automated enough. Except, again, he was being vague, so who knows. Let's wait and see.

Basically: Please don't overreact when Siliconera inevitably puts out a really bad article based on terrible translations of the two quotes I summarized.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
If it is, are you going to explain how you got to that?
Reis is a FFT character. I'm sure there's a significance to 113, but I couldn't tell you what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 AM
YangusKhan's Avatar
YangusKhan YangusKhan is offline
does the Underpants Dance
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
(1) If you hold down dodge, he'll just keep dodging. If you hold down attack, he'll just keep attacking. He emphasized how simple it was. I wouldn't read too far into this yet.
I dunno, that footage really did make combat look too automated for an action game. I know it's just a show demo and the full game might even have a difficulty mode that turns auto-dodge and stuff off, but as someone that plays a lot of action games that's a pretty big indicator it's "just" an action RPG. Which isn't really a negative, but I'm still hoping it will have Real Action Game elements.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,807
Default

The Goblins appear to be using Amano's design from FFII, and they look adorable in 3D. I won't mind if the bulk of the bestiary consists of oldschool fan service like this.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 AM
cortbassist89's Avatar
cortbassist89 cortbassist89 is offline
Rawrther.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bethany, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,269
Default

I wouldn't expect it to be very non-action rpgish. I assume they didn't change the initial concept, and the action Rpg part was why it was initially a spinoff to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 AM
narcodis's Avatar
narcodis narcodis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Posts: 3,065
Default

Seems silly to complain about FF being a "boring action game" when it's traditionally never actually had action-oriented combat mechanics, ever. It's still a final fantasy game. Perhaps they want to make the gameplay less about reflexes/timing, and more about decision-making/equipment/preparation. Sounds perfectly in line with the rest of the series, really. In any case, it's difficult to tell from the footage much about the game at all.

If the whole game is about giant Amano monsters invading the planet because of some crystal-like macguffin, as long as I get to hit them with swords and some -aga spells, then I'll be more than happy.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Eirikr's Avatar
Eirikr Eirikr is offline
Toxic Boots
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Eternal Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
The Goblins appear to be using Amano's design from FFII, and they look adorable in 3D. I won't mind if the bulk of the bestiary consists of oldschool fan service like this.
Yeah, this, the Garula, and the fact that there just have to be tons more of the old designs in the final game have me sold. It's great to be excited about a game bearing the name "Final Fantasy" again!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Ventrue's Avatar
Ventrue Ventrue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,731
Default

I'm not saying automated-combat sounds boring, but the only way it could sound more boring if it was linear.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 AM
narcodis's Avatar
narcodis narcodis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Posts: 3,065
Default

So, anyone wanna place bets on whether or not the party member with a huge scar down his face is going to betray you at some point during the game?
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 09-20-2014, 12:11 PM
McClain's Avatar
McClain McClain is offline
concern troll
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta-ish
Posts: 26,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
So, anyone wanna place bets on whether or not the party member with a huge scar down his face is going to betray you at some point during the game?
I mean, could be. Or could be a complicated backstory, a la Auron
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
all day , boy band , bro trip , chocobros , cool rock , final fantasy , final fantasy xv , food porn , frog fractions 2 , garula , i want to ride my chocobo , magitek killbot squad , road trip , sausagefest

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007