The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
Out of curiosity, why is pumping Dex so good? On my most recent run, I pumped Str until I hit 27 for Gold Dragon Armour, and then went Int to get it up to 8 to prevent Brainlessness as best I could.
It's not so much that Dex is so good as that Str is not so good. They both influence damage, but Dex also increases stealth and evasion, whereas Str is just carrying capacity and armor tolerance.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
I don't know that I've ever had a character hit with brainless, but I still tend to raise int to 8 even if I'm not casting. Stat death isn't around anymore, but brainless is still pretty bad and int drain seems relatively more common than others. Do potions of restore abilities remove the brainless status, or does it persist for a few turns after the stat drain is healed? Either way, I would have started with that.

I'll raise strength with a character if I know he's never going to be casting and he's going to be wearing heavy armor or can't be expected to really dodge things regardless (Trolls, Ogres). But yeah, it's usually int/dex with me.
It lasts quite a few turns after restoring abilities, so even if I hadn't left all of the ones I found lying around the dungeon, I don't think it would have kicked in in time to save me.

I did have another weapon I could have swapped in with +Blink, and I had a ring of teleport control. If I could have lasted long enough to set that up (probably!) that was probably my best bet. Glow beats death any day.

Live and learn.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM
The Great

Yep. If you have Dodge trained some and aren't using prohibitively heavy armor, the bonus to EV you'd get from extra dex can be noticeable. Int is definitely the stat that has the most impact, though.

I'd say the main exception is with transmuters, since str/dex have much more of an impact on Blade Hands/Statue Form/Dragon Form damage than they do on any other physical attack. I'd say get int high enough to cast the spells you want well, then start boosting the other stats, favoring dex if you're mostly using Blade Hands. This is why Transmuters of Chei are so scary, and is probably the only good use for the god.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It affects SV/EV/Accuracy and a bunch of other minor things.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
This is why Transmuters of Chei are so scary, and is probably the only good use for the god.
:<
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 PM
The Great

It's a really good use! So that's something. One of my favorite characters was a Grey Draconian Transmuter of Chei.

Chei's stat bonuses alone add 10 base damage to Blade Hands and Dragon Form. It's pretty easy to get the total base damage around 40, and that's nuts when you consider that a giant spiked club only has 22. And attacks slower, and doesn't have the auxiliary attacks that Transmuters do.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 AM
Set phasers to hug

Alright, I think now's as good a time as any to get Crawl Light resurrected again. And to that end...

New builds!

Things that have changed since the last development release:

Zin has been completely overhauled.
  • Recite has been removed.
  • Vitalisation has been removed.
  • Imprison has been removed (though this one might wind up returning).
  • New invocation: Issue Edict. Zin followers may declare laws - intelligent creatures must follow them or else face Zin's wrath, unintelligent foes have their violations partially nullified as an example for intelligent beings to follow.
  • Example edicts: No Axes, No Fire, No Translocations.
  • Intelligent HD 6 or lower foes always obey edicts; tougher enemies have a (HD - 6)/HD chance of deciding to break them.
  • Transgressing intelligent enemies are punished first with progressively heavier smites, then with more severe effects as Zin gradually gets angrier at them.
  • Zin's anger toward monsters fades over time, to prevent degenerate tactics.
  • Transgressing players suffer piety loss.
  • Up to three edicts may be active at once; they are permanent until canceled, but expensive to issue.
  • New invocation: Absolution. Clears all active edicts.
  • New invocation: Issue Commandment. Create a short-lived, wide-reaching law that no intelligent creature will dare violate.
  • Commandments: No Movement, No Melee Combat, No Spellcasting.
  • Players violating a commandment are instantly excommunicated.
  • Sanctuary and Cure All Mutations remain in place.

The current implementation of this new, more cohesive Zin is subject to change based on feedback. In particular, the piety costs of the new invocations, the likelihood of monsters violating edicts, and Zin's punishments to transgressing monsters are all likely to vary in the future.

Other changes
  • Ignite Poison's schools have changed from Fire/Transmutation to Fire/Sorcery.
  • New spell: Toxic Shield. Level 3 Enchantment/Sorcery; while active, reduces the accuracy and damage of poisoned foes attacking the player. More heavily poisoned foes face harsher penalties.
  • Overhauled the Venom Mage starting spellbook: now Sting, Poison Weapon, Toxic Shield, Olgreb's Toxic Radiance, Ignite Poison, Venom Bolt.
  • Changed the text on the scroll of forbidden knowledge; hopefully it's clearer how to enter Hell now.
  • Fixed a bug causing animated magical staves to always appear to be staves of wizardry.
  • Fixed a bug where the drop menu in console mode had visible formatting tags.
  • Fixed a bug causing Arena matches to crash after ten turns, and another causing Arena matches to crash when something dies.
  • Stone Soup import: x-v on a monster shows its possible spell lists.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Yes, let's feast!

CAO has an April Fools' thing going on! It's kind of lame!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Set phasers to hug

Minor update: Fixed a bug where Xom's name was pretty consistently misspelled. Also, the Linux builds are properly gzipped now, cutting the download size in half!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
CAO has an April Fools' thing going on! It's kind of lame!!!
What was it? I looked at the learndb yesterday and thought they had redone that as a joke, but I guess it turns out there's just a lot more jokes in there now than I'm used to.

Lost my most promising character yet yesterday, a L23 MiFi of TSO. I was near the bottom of the dungeon and found one of those runed door vaults, first with a chamber full of jellies (no problem) then a chamber full of fire giants, dragons, and efreets (no problem) then a chamber full of ice dragons and ice giants (problem). I hadn't found a single bit of rC+ yet. They got me before my teleport kicked in.

Oh well, I'll keep trying!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Crabjörn

They had a "nostalgia" version update, bringing back a whole bunch of old things that have been removed. A lot of it was unnerfs, but things like depth 1 Zot traps and speed 15 hydras, not so much.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes, let's feast!

They also turned all periods into exclamations and all exclamations into triple-exclamations. Okawaru got excited when I killed things, not sure what else.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Holy Swine

How have people done in the various Sprints? I've beaten Red Sonja and The Ten Rune Challenge. I've recently been throwing a bunch of characters at The Pits. I can reliably get about halfway with a MiFi, but the one time I got to the Orb chamber, I got wrecked by Dispater. I've recently been rolling a bunch of DECj, but I haven't been able to get past The Armory.

Any advice for The Pits?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Kinda jealous! I've only beaten Ziggurat Sprint (DDAr, posted in the other thread).

Is there any reason for a formicid to carry a wand of digging?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Kinda jealous! I've only beaten Ziggurat Sprint (DDAr, posted in the other thread).

I'm jealous of that win! I think I got to about the twelfth chamber once, with a TrBe. I always eventually run into some threat I can't deal with, and it's nowhere near the end.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
I'm jealous of that win! I think I got to about the twelfth chamber once, with a TrBe. I always eventually run into some threat I can't deal with, and it's nowhere near the end.
I'm not sure troll is a very good option, just because of how much awesome equipment is dropped into your lap at the start. For a meathead character, I'd go with the shield of the gong and/or obsidian axe. I've made good progress with that setup, but Nemelex artificer is where the True Ultimate Power is.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
I'm not sure troll is a very good option, just because of how much awesome equipment is dropped into your lap at the start. For a meathead character, I'd go with the shield of the gong and/or obsidian axe. I've made good progress with that setup, but Nemelex artificer is where the True Ultimate Power is.
Confession: I do not know how to use Nemelex. At all. The list of gods I'm comfortable with goes: Okawaru, TSO, Makhleb, Vehumet, Sif Muna. That's about it.

I tried a few artificers after you posted about that, but I had a hard time getting far enough to get any good evocables. The starting disc of storms killed me about as often as my enemies.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 PM
The Great

Quote:
IIRC, the formicid digging takes much more time to dig through a wall than a wand, so having one could be useful if you're in a bad situation and need a chokepoint now.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Confession: I do not know how to use Nemelex. At all. The list of gods I'm comfortable with goes: Okawaru, TSO, Makhleb, Vehumet, Sif Muna. That's about it.

I tried a few artificers after you posted about that, but I had a hard time getting far enough to get any good evocables. The starting disc of storms killed me about as often as my enemies.
It's a little dicey before you get your first elemental evocable. Grab good weapon/armor and rely on that to get off the ground.

Nemelex: the brain-dead method is to spam deck of destruction. You can reliably get a few of these just by saccing the piles of weapons in the starting chamber (which will also get your piety to max). Deck of summonings is also very good, but harder to come by in sprint. With the other decks, consult the wiki. The Experience card is solid gold, but some of the other cards can ruin your day.

Trog's not on that list, though? Trog is much more straightforward than TSO.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Blah, CLight keeps crashing whenever I get mesmerized.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Confession: I do not know how to use Nemelex. At all.
Draw cards. If the cards cause bad things to happen, draw more cards until they start turning good. Summoning decks are safest.

For my part, I've won Red Sonja and The Violet Keep of Menkaure. I think I've also won The Ten Rune Challenge - I know I've touched the Orb at least once or twice, I just don't remember if I successfully escaped with it. I'm about 99% sure I have, though.

None of this was in a modern version of DCSS, though; I won them when they were relatively new.

EDIT: Mightyblue, I'll take a look at that. I already plan to release new builds sometime today to fix a crapload of false positives in edict checking. What version are you using?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Are You Sure About That?

CrawlLight-0.2-L-1689-g60df4ee-win32-tiles going by the folder name.

But yeah, I'll get mesm'd, and a few turns later it crashes with an "assertion not valid" error in the spells file. Line 1203(?) I want to say? After it repeated a few times I just went off and threw myself into hard mode (and then promptly ran into a pit fiend and co. after being banished with no rF).
Old 04-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
It's a little dicey before you get your first elemental evocable. Grab good weapon/armor and rely on that to get off the ground.

Nemelex: the brain-dead method is to spam deck of destruction. You can reliably get a few of these just by saccing the piles of weapons in the starting chamber (which will also get your piety to max). Deck of summonings is also very good, but harder to come by in sprint. With the other decks, consult the wiki. The Experience card is solid gold, but some of the other cards can ruin your day.

Trog's not on that list, though? Trog is much more straightforward than TSO.
Trog's on the list, too. I forgot him. For some reason, I just don't find Trog that much fun, which might be why.

I don't really find TSO to be that tough to use. He's certainly more difficult early on, but later it's pretty much spam Divine Shield for all fights and use Divine Warrior for particularly tough ones. Last game I played, a Daeva pretty much soloed Crypt:5. It seems to me that the aura helps more than you'd think, too, both with SInv and the accuracy boost.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
CrawlLight-0.2-L-1689-g60df4ee-win32-tiles going by the folder name.

But yeah, I'll get mesm'd, and a few turns later it crashes with an "assertion not valid" error in the spells file. Line 1203(?) I want to say? After it repeated a few times I just went off and threw myself into hard mode (and then promptly ran into a pit fiend and co. after being banished with no rF).
You wouldn't happen to know which file, specifically, would you? There's no fewer than 15 that you could be referring to, and that's just counting the player files.

I haven't successfully reproduced the crash yet.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
I haven't successfully reproduced the crash yet.
This remains true, so absent additional information the bug probably won't be fixed in the next update. I simply don't have anything to go on, here; the bug could be caused by anything.

If you could've given me the exact error message you got when the game crashed, it would probably already be fixed.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, sorry, got frustrated and didn't think to screencap it and went haring off to my death in the Abyss.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM

I am terrible at the sprints. I like trying the Mahkleb one with the Axe of Woe though. Never get super far but its fun to try.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Try a deep dwarf on that one. The lack of regeneration makes no difference in that context, and the damage shaving and innate rN keeps you alive much longer than other races.

I've also seen players use formicids to dig a chokepoint, but you do eventually have to escape with the orb, and formicids don't have a lot of escape methods.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:20 AM
Set phasers to hug

Crawl Light builds updated. Fixed some (read: lots of) false positives in edict checks, and imported some things from Stone Soup.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Oh my goodness, Nemelex is lots of fun. I did a completely random character for the Pits, ended up with a HaAs, and it's about as easy as MiFi was, which surprised me. Stab some stuff, decks for the rest, and there's lots of loot around to sacrifice for more decks. I may have to try this in the real game.

Tags
+72 club , because crawl loves you , carry the black torch , chei of staff , cheigoyle too stronk , chief of staff , dungeon crawl , hubris is smite-targeted , italo disco , jorgrun , line of sight hell , orbit of destruction , orc jesus , roguelike , rougelike , rouse the idle dead , there is no hrm , there is only plaay , xom notices you , zot traps