The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I enjoyed it. The concept is fun, if not necessarily original. Lots of potential for the serious and the absurd. And with the money and clout of Marvel backing it, it means Joss Whedon might have a show that doesn't get canned after like ten episodes. I'll be watching, provided Hulu or some other service stays up-to-date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I think the biggest thing holding them back at this point is the fact that they won't just drop the money to break contracts and get all the properties under one roof again. New York Marvel doesn't have nearly the impact without FF, Spidey and the X-Men all crossing paths with the Avengers. There are so many D-list guys that fall under a potential license for those that limits what they can use here.
How long are these contracts good for anyway? It's been over a decade since the first X-Men and Spidey flicks dropped. They have to expire sometime.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:00 PM
King Of Space-Time

Why do you think they keep making more films?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Why do you think they keep making more films?
Because money I would assume, but that question is not relevant to my question at all. I would assume that Marvel/Disney is not interested in keeping these movie deals going longer then they have to. Back when these deals were made the success of these properties in the theaters was not the all-but guaranteed thing they are now. At this point, why let Sony keep raking in the money on Spidey when Disney can just do it themselves?

Hence my question.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Mystery Contraption

I'm hoping that the Centipede-guys turn out to be AIM.

Because how great would TV MODOK be? I mean, really.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Let's go exploring!

They did call it "Extremis" by name in the pilot, which is exactly what the AIM guys were in Iron Man 3.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Rawrther.

Most of the movie deals seem to renew so long as the studio uses the IP. And then you have stuff like Fantastic Four, where Fox said "okay we'll go ahead and give you back Daredevil right now if you'll give us more time with Fantastic Four."

Presumably Marvel didn't have to dough to just buy the rights back before the Disney merger. What confuses me is why Disney hasn't just bought back Spidey/Xmen rights but hey, they seem to know what they're doing so whatever.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I enjoyed it. The concept is fun, if not necessarily original. Lots of potential for the serious and the absurd. And with the money and clout of Marvel backing it, it means Joss Whedon might have a show that doesn't get canned after like ten episodes. I'll be watching, provided Hulu or some other service stays up-to-date.

How long are these contracts good for anyway? It's been over a decade since the first X-Men and Spidey flicks dropped. They have to expire sometime.
the contracts are contingent upon the movies being made. if there are no movies made for a certain amount of time, the licenses will revert back to marvel. thus, the periodic floods of xmen and spiderman movies and remakes. And to be honest, Disney gets paid whether they make the films or sony makes the films because of how the license agreement works, so they have little incentive to bother trying to reclaim them in court. And with the avengers being a billion dollar franchise, it might even be said that marvel doesn't need the xmen or spidermen at all.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
My friend is convinced that the "Rising Tide" organization is foreshadowing Namor, who would be a good TV-level villain.
That's what I thought, but I assume he's tied up in the FF rights and therefore unusable.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Attuma and Tigershark then. BAM!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Smudged

Just watched it. The fiancee described it as "Torchwood meets Dawson's Creek," which seems about right. I was rolling my eyes at most of it but he plans to keep watching so I might as well enjoy it. And I did!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Attuma and Tigershark then. BAM!
Which allows them to introduce everyone's favorite aquatic Avenger, Stingray!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Penalty Box

Way too many generic Sexy Young People who are Inexplicably Super Talented and Incredibly Witty for my taste. The only character who had any lasting impact was Agent Coulson, and most of that was residual from the Marvel Movies.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 AM
It's all good, man

I'm kind of surprised at the complaints about the lack of substance. It's a pilot! Probably a heavily meddled-with one! Give them a little time.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm kind of surprised at the complaints about the lack of substance. It's a pilot! Probably a heavily meddled-with one! Give them a little time.
I'm surprised it's as good as people are saying at this point (I'm gonna let a few weeks build up before I watch). Every Whedon pilot besides Firefly has been dogshit, I'm sure patience will be rewarded.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 AM

Save for the "where we're going, we don't need roads" scene at the end (that almost made my eyes roll clean out of my head), I liked it. Also glad to see that I'm not the only one who was thinking Luke Cage.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I'm surprised it's as good as people are saying at this point (I'm gonna let a few weeks build up before I watch). Every Whedon pilot besides Firefly has been dogshit, I'm sure patience will be rewarded.
Except Whedon won't really have much to do with the week-to-week running of this show. It's pretty much his apprentices while he works on Avengers 2 (... and 3, let's be honest here.)

I think the big issue that I've been hearing is that people were expecting something really big out of the gate, but that simply can't be delivered for a TV budget. Lost and 24 (to a lesser extent) really did ruin action-centric pilots for everyone, I guess.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Except Whedon won't really have much to do with the week-to-week running of this show. It's pretty much his apprentices while he works on Avengers 2 (... and 3, let's be honest here.)
A boy can hope, right?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
I maintain that he's an LMD until proven otherwise.
No matter what explanation they may give, I will only believe he is a LMD.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Find Your Reason

All I ever wanted was a simple, concise explanation for Coulson being alive. I got it, and it was funny. And, as a bonus, this also gave them the freedom to insert an equally simple, concise tease at a darker mystery, and they'll have a whoooooole season to develop it.

(On that note, I haven't read any interviews or supplementary material on the Cinematic Universe, so where did that whole Vision thing ever come from? It seems pretty far out of left field to me.)

Also, I'd be pretty satisfied if AIM were behind the first season's primary arc, especially since they were all but namedropped by Extremis. Hydra or the Ten Rings could also make a comeback. These are excellent counterparts to SHIELD because, while they do have a few superpowered minions, they're mostly technologically-oriented organizations with deep political and economic influence in "legit" society.

By the by, I haven't watched the post-Avengers short in forever, but are the Brit techies in "Agents" the same couple from that short who repaired the Chitauri gun and robbed banks with it until SHIELD offered them a job?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Conquers the World

I could swear the woman in that short was played by Lizzie Caplan or something, someone I know by name at least. So unless they recast them in his show, no
Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Rawrther.

Different characters. Those were Bennie and Claire; these two are Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disposable Ninja View Post
Way too many generic Sexy Young People who are Inexplicably Super Talented and Incredibly Witty for my taste.
...is there another Joss Whedon I should be familiar with?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Well, yeah, but it's just as annoying here as in his other non-Firefly series. Honestly, if it wasn't for Gregg this show would be really, really bad.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM
borgn

Quote:
Well, yeah, but it's just as annoying here as in his other non-Firefly series. Honestly, if it wasn't for Gregg I feel that this show would be really, really bad.
It's times like these when adding the simple phrase "I feel that" is so important, because Sven couldn't be more wrong even if he suggested the show would be improved if the entire cast was replaced with badly-green-screened My Little Pony fan characters.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
It's times like these when adding the simple phrase "I feel that" is so important, because Sven couldn't be more wrong even if he suggested the show would be improved if the entire cast was replaced with badly-green-screened My Little Pony fan characters.
It's implied.

But even then... seriously, what good was there? The dialogue was trite, the acting generally bad, the plot shallow. You can't judge a show based on what you want it to be or what it might be. You judge it on what it is, and the first episode was nothing special.

Okay, I revise my rating to "good for the shallow standards of what passes for a network TV drama in 2013." BUFFY VIEWING PARTY TO CELEBRATE!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM
gatchapon 3*

the show barely held my interest. i kind checked out as soon as the olivia munnalike started hacking from her van. i don't know what i wanted from this show; i just know I didn't get it.

but again, it's an ep 1. i'm willing to give it another, just to let it settle into itself.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:05 PM
borgn

Quote:
You judge it on what it is, and I felt that the first episode was nothing special.
In actuality it was funny and fast-paced, the dialogue was amusing when it wasn't forced to be functional (ie. exposition for viewers unfamiliar with the Marvel movieverse), with decent action and effects for the pilot of a TV series.

You're being way too harsh, and what I liked about it clearly isn't for you (humor, a lack of Grimdark-Adult Superheroics). If you thought the dialogue was trite, I don't even know what to say to you. Get off my TV show.

EDIT: shivam knows how to be critical without coming off as an Overly Negative Nellie

Last edited by Wolfgang; 09-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Overly Negative Nellie
This is the best thing to say, and I see many posts by me starting off with "Now, hold on a minute there, Nellie..."
Old 09-26-2013, 03:57 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i don't know what i wanted from this show; i just know I didn't get it.
This
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 AM
King Of Space-Time

I like that the show expects you know about the movies but at the same time, does not assume you saw all/any of them.

Tags
agents of m.a.y.b.e.? , agents of s.n.o.r.e. , blernsball , marvel cinematic universe