The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 AM
Little Waves

According to them, they spent a million dollars developing Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight sales were at 1.2 million in April. Just assuming every copy were sold at fifteen dollars, that would be eighteen million dollars. The actual figure would be lower due to varying prices, but not by too much since they try to keep the game at full price and never discount it by more than a third.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 AM
Video World 14 is out!

And if there's one game on this earth that's worth full price, it's Shovel Knight.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Mystery Contraption

...at what point do you add enough new stuff that it becomes an entirely different game? Because holy nuts, man!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:22 AM
I. Love. It.

Hot diggity dang.

What on earth is King Knight's game going to be? A Metroidvania?
Old 12-02-2016, 03:39 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Freemium version where you buy relics with real money via what Yacht Club humorously call "Knightcrotransactions". The pun doesn't work but they persist with it anyway, insisting "the desperation is what makes it funny".
Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 AM

I really liked the original Shovel Knight, but Plague of Shadows just didn't work for me because I didn't like how it played like.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 AM
It's all good, man

I can't quite tell, are those all the same regular levels like with Plague of Shadows?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Definitely not a werewolf

I recognize pieces of them, but they've been very heavily modified.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
...at what point do you add enough new stuff that it becomes an entirely different game? Because holy nuts, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacht Club Games
Whoah! Did you get everything!? You’ll not only play through Specter Knight’s own story, but also see new areas, new music, new enemies, new objects, new boss fights, new weapons, new armors, and way, way more than ever before. Even the villainous boss knights have prepared new tricks and tactics!

Does that sound like a new game?! Well, that’s because we’re building Specter of Torment from the ground up so that it can be a completely unique standalone experience.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:06 AM
concentrate

Yeah, just forget about everything else, Shovel Knight is GOTY every year.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Sudden chomper

Daaaaamn, really looking forward to trying that. Not sure that it'll replace Plague Knight's campaign as my favorite, because that one was just so good, but I wouldn't complain if it did!

And yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I should find some way of giving these guys more money. I guess I already bought the Shovel Knight theme for my 3DS. And the soundtrack...
Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
According to them, they spent a million dollars developing Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight sales were at 1.2 million in April. Just assuming every copy were sold at fifteen dollars, that would be eighteen million dollars. The actual figure would be lower due to varying prices, but not by too much since they try to keep the game at full price and never discount it by more than a third.
It should be noted that a big chunk of the revenue for each sale of a game goes to the distributor.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Amiibo?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It should be noted that a big chunk of the revenue for each sale of a game goes to the distributor.
What about Steam or, even better, Humble Bundle? That might be the one version they profit of the most.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:45 AM
It's all good, man

Valve definitely takes a big chunk of every sale. I don't know about the humble bundle.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
What about Steam or, even better, Humble Bundle? That might be the one version they profit of the most.
Steam takes about 30% of each sale, which is pretty standard from what I've seen. If Humble Bundle has broken down how much money has gone to devs, charity and the humble tip each Bundle, I haven't looked at it.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Out Of Warranty

Mmm, from the Humble Store FAQ.

Quote:
Q: What are the revenue splits?
A: Even though the Humble Store isn't pay-what-you-want we still are very adamant about supporting developers and charities. After deductions for payment processor fees (typically around 5%) the net revenue is split 3 ways: 75% to developers, 10% to charity and 15% to Humble Bundle to cover costs associated with hosting the content.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Outraged!

Yeah, definitely going to be buying this again on a platform I don't already own just to show some appreciation. This is ridiculous.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:42 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I've already got a copy on PC (Kickstarter), 3DS, Xbox One and PS4/Vita. The only way I could give them more money short of mailing a check to their offices is to buy the Wii U version.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 AM
I. Love. It.

I recently bought it on Wii-U, partially out of Plague-of-Shadows guilt but also because I wanted it on the TV. I guess I'll pick it up when it inevitably comes out on Switch for Specter of Torment?

No idea what to buy it on for The Badical Gold-Plated Royal Adventures of the Best Ever King Knight, whenever that comes out.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 AM
oh my car

That guy looks way less like I'm gonna have difficulty controlling him than Plague Knight.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Specter Knight looks very OG-Ninja Gaiden/Shinobi.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

I wasn't thinking Knuckles, myself.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 PM
We just don't know.

I'm gonna just start buying copies for friends each time a thing comes out. That way they get more money AND I get to spread the love!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Crabjörn

Got bored and decided to replay Shovel Knight's campaign for a bit, and I love how much you can tease out of all of these characters from the small moments they have onscreen.

While he's not my favorite, Specter Knight's personality, of a grim and brooding figure who's trying too hard to act cool, could lead to a ton of really fun clashes with everyone else. Shovel Knight himself is as knightly as they get: honorable, serious, and confident. And when Plague Knight got their campaign, we got to see these archetypes that Shovel Knight introduced bounce off of someone who's completely different. Plague Knight is clever, mocking, paranoid, and more than a little insecure, and it's incredibly fun to see him laugh off the opponents Shovel Knight took incredibly seriously. By that token, it'll be fun to see how many people buy Specter Knight at face value and how many dig at his own actual insecurity (Plague Knight already got in a shot or two).

Also, not really related to Specter of Torment, but something that always kind of struck me. At the boss rush area when you rescue everyone, everyone basically says whatever they feel like saying, because the Order of No Quarter doesn't really have a unified goal and everyone just does their own thing. Which, whatever, cool, that's fine, and more than a few of the knights could probably have been legitimately good (or at least helpfully neutral), and their endings certainly show as much.

The one that strikes me as peculiar is Treasure Knight. Sure, he's in it for the money, but Treasure Knight seems to be the only one who actually figures out what the Enchantress' whole deal is. I mean, by this point the player does too, but nobody else really seems to know aside from Shovel Knight, the Black Knight, and MAYBE Polar Knight (but it's hard to tell with him). In fact, Treasure Knight seems to honestly feel sorry for Shovel Knight, which is way more charitable an attitude than I was expecting. It makes me kind of wonder what everyone's reasons for joining up to form the Order in the first place was, and how many are doing it knowing the Enchantress' secret (or even because of it).

ANYWAY THIS GAME IS STILL RAD
Old 12-03-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
It makes me kind of wonder what everyone's reasons for joining up to form the Order in the first place was, and how many are doing it knowing the Enchantress' secret (or even because of it).
Presumably we'll find out, because Specter Knight's story is supposedly him recruiting the rest of the Order on her behalf.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Chief Servbot

Default For playable character

Don't blame me, I voted for Treasure Knight
Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 AM

Hey, me too.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Love and Peace

This game is still rad, but FUCK Propeller Knight's stage.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Video World 14 is out!

Use relics

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club