The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Plague of Shadows is better than the main game.
Preach it.

Except for the final battle. Shovel Knight's final boss is the best final battle in the story of videogames.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 AM
concern troll

I was not a fan of plague, but Specter looks like my jam.

I should replay the vanilla game sometime soon.

Question: are the new gameplay modes free if you just buy the game, or just for KS backers? I got the KS game on 3DS but I'm seriously thinking about double dipping for steam.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
You know you want to go to the mall in a pair of Shovel Knight leggings.
I would be married/buried in a pair of Shovel Knight leggings.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM

I can personally confirm that the DLC is free even to those who didn't back the game on KS.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Fire wand? If so, already bought it! Phew.

I'll try all of those next time I see one.
I love how you can purchase each stage's hidden relic from the treasure hunter in town if you beat that stage. Even if you locate a relic in its respective stage, you still have to pay for it, but it's substantially cheaper if you can reach the secret chests as opposed to simply buying them from the dude in town.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

Didn't realize they were cheaper, I just did it for the sweet loot, and because the Relics made either the stage or boss easier to deal with.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Plague of Shadows is better than the main game.
I'm inclined to agree. It's easier, but fun as heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Plague is a tough cookie to get the hang of. So much of his play is about using his potions to maneuver and I never quite got the hang of it.
Manuevering around as him is what makes him fun! Shovel Knight feels so damn limited in comparison.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:54 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Manuevering around as him is what makes him fun! Shovel Knight feels so damn limited in comparison.
I had the opposite experience. I couldn't get the hang of Plague's movement while I loved doing the ducktales pogo with Shovel
Old 06-21-2016, 03:06 PM

Yeah Plague Knight was mostly just irritating to control for me, had way more fun as Shovel.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:03 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I liked them both but Plague Knight gives you a lot more freedom in how you approach things and has a ton more movement options. I'm curious to see how people will react to Specter Knight, whenever it happens.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 PM
oh my car

I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom Plague Knight's controls didn't click.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM
I. Love. It.

Birdmask didn't click for me right away, in fact I had quite a bit of trouble with the intro stage even, but his controls eventually clicked for me.

That being said, I do like look of Specter Knight, and I'm happily looking forward to another chance to play 'Shovel Knight again, but kinda different!'.

King Knight, though, man, I have no idea what they're gonna do with him...
Old 06-21-2016, 04:27 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom Plague Knight's controls didn't click.
I never even got past that block over my head in the intro level.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:14 PM
We just don't know.

I beat Specter Knight, but did worse at reaching all the secrets in his level. And uuuurgh, the daaaaaarrrrrk! D: It's a little annoying the way things will reset, forcing you to re-do the level to get another chance (Or... could you suicide...? Does that reset things like broken blocks? I don't think so...) But I guess it encourages you to replay the levels.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Video World 14 is out!

I didn't care for Plague Knight at first, went back to it a few months later and loved it to death.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Highway To HFIL

I'm in the camp that believes that Plague of Shadows was better than the base game. Plague Knight is more fun for me, the bosses were better, and the story was so, so sweet.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:34 PM
concentrate

Looking at Specter Knight's movement animations posted on the latest Kickstarter update, I'm not super-sold yet. Looks fine, but after Plague Knight's bombs maybe a bit boring?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:36 AM
We just don't know.

Beat Plague Knight and Treasure Knight. Wtf even is the Plague Knight fight? I barely got a pattern down on him. So much jumping around, so much shit flying here and there.

I got to the armor village. I got the charge attack on my shovel and dynamo armor. The dynamo armor's combo is RAD. The charge attack though... You move so slowly with it charged up, not to mention the charge time, but so many enemies move too fast, or erratically, or jump around too much, or hit you from range, or something. I get hit out of it far more often than I can even be in range to land it. I haven't really been able to find much use for it in the one level I played with it. Anyone have any tips?

I'm really bad at finding relics mid-stage, too. So far the anchor is the only one I've found on my actual first run through the stage. It didn't really help that much, though. Some of them are neat; the fireball was suuuuper useful against specter knight, but otherwise a lot of them are kinda middling unless I really need a ranged attack, which hasn't turned out to be that often. Once or twice a stage, maybe. That invincibility amulet is pretty fuckin' boss, though.

My favorite thing is getting a tricky fishing spot, pulling up the big fish, and it immediately flops back down into the pit. That's so great.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:14 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
Looking at Specter Knight's movement animations posted on the latest Kickstarter update, I'm not super-sold yet. Looks fine, but after Plague Knight's bombs maybe a bit boring?
Depends on what his upgrades are and how the stages work in the moves.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:34 AM
Chief Servbot

They buried it in the Kickstarter update, but they also have a preview gif of how King Knight plays.

Last edited by Ludendorkk; 06-22-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
They buried it in the Kickstarter, but they also have a preview gif of how King Knight plays.
Oooooooh
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Anyone have any tips?
Yeah - don't worry about it. One of the great things in Shovel Knight is that, since most of the tools are optional (including the shovel charge) none of them are required to beat the game. That gives you a lot of freedom to experiment and find the tools and moves you're comfortable with. If the charge doesn't click, try something else that fits your style!

For example, I found the anchor amazingly useful. Just like the axe in Castlevania games, they are the best tool to reach those enemies slightly above you, and they are a life saver when you're climbing stairs.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm right. Just ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I didn't care for Plague Knight at first, went back to it a few months later and loved it to death.
I'm in the same boat. I tried it when the update was released, and it was alright.
But I just restarted it after replaying Shovel, and while it's DRASTICALLY different from Shovel, I'm enjoying it a lot.

The key is to actually experiment and use the various options and power ups they give you. For instance, you will NOT defeat Spectre Knight with Plague Knights base gear.

All that said.
King Knight looks like Shovel Knight by way of the Luigi high jump and MMX Dash. But the HUD also looks different, like options and items are downplayed. Guess we'll see.
Spectre Knight looks Ninja Gaiden/Strider-ish and I am SO DOWN FOR IT. SO. DAMN. DOWN. FOR. IT.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:52 AM
one zero zero one SOS

I completely forgot about King and Spectre Knights. I really oughta get on beating Plague of Shadows.

...Are they still making a Shield Knight campaign? Is it even polite to ask at this point? Amazing what Yacht Club are doing.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM
Here Comes the Sun

I'm one of those that struggled through a lot of Plague of Shadows, but eventually came to grips with it and absolutely adore it now (though I do really miss the ability to charge with one button while tossing bombs with another). That mode alone stands as one of my favorite platformers of all time, and combining it with Shovel Knight and future additions isn't even fair. I'm psyched for some Specter!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 AM
concern troll

I think one of my problems with plague was that I was playing on the 3DS, and for whatever reason his moveset didn't seem comfortable to me there (granted, the launch 3DS is kinda uncomfortable for any platformer, but I finished the base game just fine on it). I might pick up the game on steam and try it again with a better controller.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

Seeing so many people talk about Shovel Knight made me want to go back to play it.

I like 2D platformers just fine, but the game's kinda cheap. I was having a good amount of fun, but stopped right around Treasure Knight. And so, I've picked it back up from there. Playing it again shows me the gripes that I still have with this game; I'd post them here, but I don't want to break up the discussion to whine.

I hope it'll be better for future Shovel Knights.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 AM
twinkling photon

The best part of the PSX Mega Man Xs was playing as Zero. I'm stoked on Spectre Knight.

Replaying the game as Shovel makes me realize how... slow it is? Unless you're really good at using some of the later tools like the Gear, you pretty much have to engage every obstacle in every level in the order presented. This isn't necessarily a bad thing -- its the MO of the pre-SOTN Castlevanias, after all -- but it wears me down on replays.

Plague Knight changed this for the better -- not only do you have a lot more freedom in how you approach each level thanks to his super jumping powers, you get to fine-tune said powers for each level. Spectre Knight looks good for the same reason -- much faster, more freedom of movement.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
They buried it in the Kickstarter update, but they also have a preview gif of how King Knight plays.
The best part is the excessively gilded statbar.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 AM
King Of Space-Time

"... we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club