The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
nerd
Why thank you, Senator
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I mean me and Wolfgal will go to any Ghibli movie opening night, because they make great films, not "anime".
Actually they make anime
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Actually they make anime
Shut it, Battleship
Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Shrug? I guess? The fact that you think you're too cool for it makes me think I'm on the right track with it. It also means that you have no idea what you're talking about in regards to it so shut up.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Doesn't count if it was on Nickelodeon. Dubious if it aired on U.S. TV prior to Sailor Moon, although it's a whole lot easier to scrub the rising sun off fairy tales than giant robots.
That just comes off as arbitarily drawing the lines, plus given I saw this as a toddler and Sailor Moon simply did not exist then I'd say it came before, nevermind the dates on Wikipedia.

Anyways, no, it doesn't scream anime as a kid, but when you watch enough (and not just some pandering crap albeit mainly stuff from that time period) you can definitely see it's anime. Same happened with Kiki actually, I first saw it as a trailer with a Disney movie I saw in middle school, and despite being into anime I wasn't actually 100% it was such though I highly suspected it.

More importantly while 80s animation in general had some cross polination (didn't everyone go to South Korea for animation?) I do feel watching stuff like Grimm's Fairy Tales left the roots in my mind to find anime from that decade very nostalgic.

EDIT: Actually, connected to that last paragraph my main point was that many of us were likely exposed to anime in some form without really KNOWING of anime, the fact it helped create that nostalgic feeling is proof enough to me, nevermind noticing the similarities after seeing something no one'd argue over like Ronin Warriors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
When I was in fifth grade I'd wake up super early to watch Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors. My friend did too, but we didn't want to admit watching something girly like Sailor Moon so we'd speak in obtuse vagaries about it at the bus stop.

Hey, did you watch it this morning?
YES, I couldn't believe when they did that to him
I can't wait to see what they do next week

Then in high school I started watching things like Bebop, FLCL, Ghibli, etc. and lost my sense of shame about it because that shit was awesome and still is. This continued through college. Then anime changed and I went back to being ashamed
I was going to throw in a "War has changed" quote reference but Maggie did that already so I'll stick with:
I didn't leave the anime party. The anime party left me.
Haha, I caught Ronin Warriors too, but rather than watch Sailor Moon (which I DID write off as too girly) I managed to catch Dragon Ball and followed the first season of that, or the first story arc anyway. Then the year after they skipped ahead to Dragon Ball Z.

But, yeah, I feel for modern anime I kind of have conflicted feelings. Some stuff like the shonen manga's a guilty pleasure (or just hilarious for all the wrong reasons) and there really are some good series every so often, but my approach as of late is for something to actually rise up and get my attention, THEN I'll consider hunting it down. Otherwise, whatever.

EDIT: Accidentally double posted below but nuked it. Sorry about that!

Last edited by Eusis; 05-31-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
heh

Default Anime is a scourge

Somewhere in a storage facility in the northeastern US is a box full of my own personal shame, all in VHS format.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM
this is covfefe

Adolescent tungwene liked stuff like Haibane Renmei, Scrapped Princess, Twelve Kingdoms, Witch Hunter Robin, Last Exile, Rurouni Kenshin. She also watched a whole lot of stuff she didn't like that was popular at the time and a whole of stuff she thought started out great but ended terribly. If she could back in time she'd definitely high-five her adolescent self because she's always been super picky about what shows she liked.

I've been following shows as they aired in Japan for a decade now and there's never been a year where there wasn't at least one show I'd liked (and often quite a few more than just one). A big part of that has been because of noitamina, which came into existence very soon after I started following anime as it aired.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
EDIT: Actually, connected to that last paragraph my main point was that many of us were likely exposed to anime in some form without really KNOWING of anime, the fact it helped create that nostalgic feeling is proof enough to me, nevermind noticing the similarities after seeing something no one'd argue over like Ronin Warriors.
That's basically what I was going for there. At the time they were first airing, anime airing in the U.S. did not register as such to the children watching it or their parents. It was very extensively localized (names changed, plot points changed, scenes omitted, etc.), if we're talking '80s stuff then you were pretty much either watching stuff from Japan or international efforts between America/France/Japan which blurred the line a little, and it was just mixed right in with any other cartoons you were watching. You'd just have Transformers, G.I. Joe, Voltron, and then I do't know Garfield or something.

Then you had Anime, as this distinct idea, in the tape trading scene, and if you were into that, you'd probably recognize televised anime as such, sure. Prior to Sailor Moon though I can't think of anything that really made people who weren't in the know say "What the hell is this? Some kinda weird Japanese cartoon?"
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
who's she

This thread is unnecessary, we already have Evangelion home shopping. No conceivable discussion here could improve on it.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 AM
Banned

Do you ever get the feeling that here at Talking Time we're all secretly utter weeaboos and just in denial about it?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default I ONLY LiKE ANIME THAT DOESN'T SUCK.

Last edited by BEAT; 05-31-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: AND SOME THAT DO SUCK BUT WHATEVER.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 AM

Default HEY GUYS WHAT I fOUND GUYS

Last edited by BEAT; 05-31-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: OKAY BEAT WHAT DID YOU FIND.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 AM

Default I FOUND A BUNCH OF JOJO GiFS

Last edited by BEAT; 05-31-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: WE LOST BEFORE THE BATTLE EVEN BEGAN.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmachine View Post
Do you ever get the feeling that here at Talking Time we're all secretly utter weeaboos and just in denial about it?
nuh uh shut up

now back to talking about obscure japanese mma
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmachine View Post
It's more like we're all recovering alcoholics, but instead of finding sobriety in a pseudo-religious community, we're finding it in playful disdain and a community of snark.

"Hi, my name's Kyle, and I'm an anime fan. I guess I'll always be an anime fan, you know? It never really goes away...

"Except for that moe shit, am I right? What's up with Japan? YOU know what what I'm talking about" *hoots of laughter, applause
Old 05-31-2013, 08:21 AM
borgn

Quote:
steampunk ridicule
Man that doesn't even apply here. You're saying that the output of Studio Ghibli is the same as Naruto or whatever watery-eye moe garbage is being put on fuckpillows.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

I watched a decent bit of anime when I was younger and I still have no idea what half of this thread is about.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
I watched a decent bit of anime when I was younger and I still have no idea what half of this thread is about.
meaning that you were able to back away from the abyss in time. good on ya.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I had this friend in highschool who somehow had the entirety of Escaflowne as some weird VHS broadcast tape with commercials intact. The show itself was subbed but the commercials weren't.

I can't imagine the translation effort taken to sub the entire show but then leave the commercials in place. Maybe they aired subbed in Japan at the time? I don't know.

Anyway, I copied those tapes for my own shame vault.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
I had to come to Talking Time to learn what Guro was, for example.
Not going to google it. Not going to google it.

God DAMN it!

Last edited by Behemoth; 05-31-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: In all seriousness, fuck an anime.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
It's more like we're all recovering alcoholics, but instead of finding sobriety in a pseudo-religious community, we're finding it in playful disdain and a community of snark.

"Hi, my name's Kyle, and I'm an anime fan. I guess I'll always be an anime fan, you know? It never really goes away...

"Except for that moe shit, am I right? What's up with Japan? YOU know what what I'm talking about" *hoots of laughter, applause
We came to realize that only a sarcasm greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
Well, it's like this.

I hope that clears things up.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Man that doesn't even apply here. You're saying that the output of Studio Ghibli is the same as Naruto or whatever watery-eye moe garbage is being put on fuckpillows.
Sorry hoss, but it's a medium, not a genre. It's animation from Japan. I'm not gonna stop calling Taxi Driver a "movie" because it shares that title with Hotel for Dogs
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
We came to realize that only a sarcasm greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
I can really ID with this.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Oily Butt Thing

we admitted that we were powerless over pencil boards and shitty dojinshi
Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 AM
this is covfefe

Quote:
Sorry hoss, but it's a medium, not a genre. It's animation from Japan. I'm not gonna stop calling Taxi Driver a "movie" because it shares that title with Hotel for Dogs
Fun fact: Wolfgang's beloved Miyazaki is one of the origins of moe.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Wolfgang's beloved Miyazaki
Why you gotta even go there, biyotch

it's like you all WANT me to be an asshole to you

do you want me to be an incredible asshole to you tungwene, because that is extremely doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv tropes
sometimes even said to be the first "moe" character.
Also, this is specious at best

Quote:
Also also Taxi Driver is a film, and HFD is a movie, it's like you never went to film snob school
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Your life is forfeit

I guess I kind of lucked out. I was just out of college when anime finally hit the American mainstream and the selection available in English became much broader (and much less reliable) than the cherry-picked material that showed up throughout the '90s, so I was old enough to say, "Wait... most of this stuff is just as terrible as what we create here. They tricked me!" Before Hollywood Video's anime section exploded, you really had to go out of your way to find low-grade Japanese animation (in my town, this meant the skeevy video shop next to the Air Force base, the one with the sweaty, corpulent, middle-aged clerk who would hit on any of my female Asian friends whenever I made the mistake of going there with them). After about 1999 or so, low-grade Japanese animation became the order of the day.

What I am saying is that I feel bad for anyone 5-10 years younger than me, because you were just the right age to be vulnerable to anime's charms right as the medium cast aside its benign mask and revealed its true hideous reality to the West. Sorry, guys
Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 AM
gatchapon 3*

i love ronin warriors and don't care who knows it.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Fun fact: Wolfgang's beloved Miyazaki is one of the origins of Castlevania.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i love Project A-Ko Dirty Pair and don't care who knows it.

Tags
actual fuckin nazis , anime , anime died , anime is a scrooge , animeanime , animeanimeanime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , be better , don't watch anime , ghost of suncoast video , glop till you drop , glopping , im flyin like goku , jojo is perfect , master of mosquiton , nerd bigotry , octo does not do research , ominous orchestral swell , otakus anonymous , overpriced pocky , overture in see minor , paynus paynus paynus , stop 'n' glop , the abyss gazes back , what's all this racket