The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

The Training Center also has weapon training quests, so you might wanna try those out until you find a weapon type you're comfortable using for the time being.

If you can get a good handle on evading attacks, Long Swords and Hammers are both great tools because you can hit hard while losing little speed,* and Dual Blades carried me up until Khezu...if just because the Glutton's Set is a good early game pair of DBs to get if you luck into some FelyneMealPassRegs early on.

* You do have to hold R to run with the hammer charging, though.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Lucky In Love

I would not recommend any of the "heavy" weapons for a beginner. Greatsword, Lance, Gunlance, or Heavy Bowgun. The lack of mobility will probly frustrate you. Longsword is very beginner friendly with it's huge horizontal sweeps.

Don't be afraid to just hang back and observe/dodge the enemy for a minute or two. You'll learn a lot.

Also the first thing you want to look for immediately while upgrading weapons is a green sharpness meter. This will prevent a few roadblocks later on.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM
:O

Hammer is a heavy weapon but I actually would recommend it. It does a lot of damage, is fun to use, and the charge attack can go through hard armor.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Come, noble knights!

Learning the ins and outs of charging are the way to mastering. Heck, today I learned if I released the highest charge when standing still I can do a hard-hitting blow instead of the usual spin attack. While it's not practical against them, it's strong enough to one-shot Jaggis, and this is with the weakest iron hammer. This could make all the difference against Barroth, as long as I don't get trapped in a rage charge beatdown.

Anyway, my game in Portable 3rd's going great! Aside from a (completely expected) beatdown when trying the optional Jinouga hunting quest that pops up post-Bulldrome hunt, I've been doing well. I ran into a Royal Ludroth during one of the quests from the Hot Springs Felyne, and while I couldn't kill him because of accidentally meeting the quota during the fight, I did hack off his tail and beat him so hard he went limping home by the time that last minute was up. Good equipment and pattern recognition can go a long way.

And now I'm one some part of a Rhenolops away from a full set of Rhenolops armor. I've been mixing it up with different weapons more in MHP3, too. The hunting horn in particular has become much more appealing now that I can just do attacks to get notes and then play the queued working combo instead of slowly swinging it into position and waiting for a note to play. It makes it more practical for playing songs when fighting monsters.

Really though, hunting horn is a pretty indefinite name, given that many of them are other non-horn instruments. The Bnahabra-themed one is a cello, and tha recent Aoashira(Bear) one I got is a gong. Some aren't even instruments; the Gigginox-brand horn (which I SO WANT) is a coffin on a stick.

I love how Portable 3rd brings back the ridiculous weapons tenfold. I would've killed for a cartoony Felyne Switch Axe or a chainsaw long sword back in Tri. Or a pumkin hammer or pumpkin carriage bowgun with a matching pumpkin-themed outfit.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Come, noble knights!

I think I've finally gotten used to fighting Barroth now. I just finished the Great Jaggi + Barroth quest today, both captured. Ol' Jaggidrome went down within the first five minutes, and playing it way more cautious with Barroth I managed to catch it, too.

I'm really starting to learn how this monster works, particularly that I should run out of the way of its charges instead of evading so I can rush in and introduce my weapon to the side of its body. It also helps a lot that I've learned to use the hammer's charge attack better, and I have a really great charm as well.

Speaking of said charm, it's a Knight Talisman with Speed Setup + 10, which gives me the Trap Master ability. I can set traps and bombs faster, and have a 100% success rate at making traps without any outside help from other combination items or abilities. Where applicable, I can use one type of trap to hold monsters in place while I attack or blast 'em then use other type they haven't built up a resistance to for the capture. It does have Guard Boost -10, but that ability has no negative side effects if you get into minus numbers and it's useless if you're not using weapons that can block anyway.

I used a couple of Pitfall Traps to lock Barroth in place for explodey funtime and then captured it with a Shock Trap. Qurupeco appeared during the quest too (Unstable environment), but I managed to hold my own against both and finished off Big Bird when Barroth went limping back to its mudbath.

I can't wait until I meet and kill some Uragaans. That armor set's Bombardier ability is gonna be a great compliment to Trap Master, and it gets defense boosts as well.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 PM

You should never use the spin attack until you learn to cancel out at the right time to do the golf swing.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Lucky In Love

Yeah, letting go of the move stick before unleashing the charge is just instinct for me now. The spin attack is pretty bad. Some other hammer tricks:
  • Press and hold "charge" when you draw your weapon and you'll go right into it.
  • Tap the "charge" button for the quickest possible attack. Good for fast, weak minions.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Come, noble knights!

Texas: "Howdy Seph! I know you done offed that Velociprey, but I can't let mah bomb go to waste. I'm just gonna hurl it over in your direction, meow! Hope ya don't get blasted away while you're tryin' to carve!"

Natarii: "Ursa-chan! You have your bowgun drawn? That must mean yew want what's around hear dead, nya! I'll get write on it! There's know way your just preparing to brow off Orutarosu (Altaroth) after they finish eating or shoot them with Poison S, wright?"

Percy: "Hey Boss, that Altaroth's poisoned! I'll shatter it and put it out of its misery! Meow-oww! *SMASH* There we go, all exploded to bits! There's no way you wanted to carve a poisoned bug, right, Bo...*BANG* OW! WHY'D YOU SHOOT ME, BOSS?! WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU?"

You know, as much as I love bipedal tool-wielding cats more than some jabbering masked Shakalakan, Cha-Cha's AI feels much smarter than Felyne Comrades. He generally stays the hell out of my way, doing his own thing, letting me go about my carving and bug bombing in peace.

Felyne Comrades, on the other hand, stick too close. They're always accidentally blowing you up, or shattering bugs you were trying to capture because drawing a weapon = kill every alive thing in sight to them. D=

I'm just so glad I can hit them back when they piss me off. >=)

EDIT: Also...

> Fight giant red pangolin with alloy mail and dual blades before properly being introduced to one in a village quest, expecting to lose
> Find it ridiculously easy and capture it; start plans on making weapons and armor out of them
>What's with Japan and pangolins anyway?

Last edited by MetManMas; 03-25-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Come, noble knights!

Well, I just failed at trying to solo the online Lagiacrus urgent quest. I've learned three things from this:

1) Monsters are much easier to tackle when they have something besides me to chew on. Both Freedom Unite and Portable 3rd are good about letting you take Felyne Comrades with you on quests in the offline guild, MHP3rd even more so than MHFU. But Loc Lac City is online only, so no Chacha, not even if you're doing solo play. If you want something else for that Lagi or Barroth to use as a punching bag, it has to be another actual player.

2) Underwater combat against giant monsters is a fucking mess, and it's all the camera's fault. I really don't hate the underwater segments in theory. I've always had a love for exploring beneath the waves in video games because it's like a completely different world down there.

The problem comes with fighting large monsters in the water. In aquatic battles, the right stick's pulling double duty as both the camera and for swimming, and it works terribly for that. It actually makes it even more obvious Monster Hunter could use an overhaul to its camera system, maybe have an option to zoom out so you can better keep track of where you are in relation to the giant monster of the moment.

After Lagi, I kinda dread how actually being able to fight a Plesioth underwater in Monster Hunter 3G will play out now. D=

3) I shouldn't have brought a Switch Axe to a Lance fight. What was I thinking? There's no way to reliably evade that big beast's assaults with no Chacha and that underwater camera!

In other news, I finished my ridiculous bulky Rhenoplos suit! The game decided to be nice enough to give me that King's Frill I needed for the vambraces. Now if it'd just fork over some Flintstones so I can upgrade to a Peco Flint and finish my Qurupeco Blademaster outfit.

EDIT: Just captured three more Rangurotoras in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. All I need is one more claw for that new switch axe.

In addition to the duel blades I used the first time, I've beaten it with a serrated blade that poisons things, a hammer with icicles on one end, and a friggin' chainsaw sword, and I'm still only at the two star village quests. I have full confidence that I am gonna curb stomp it so hard when I finally face one outside of the guild.

Last edited by MetManMas; 03-26-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Come, noble knights!

Just finished the Qurupeco Urgent in Portable 3rd. Went in there dressed like a giant pink teddy bear, smashed apart all its breakable bits with the Ice Hammer of Bird Busting,* and got a capture as well. Great Jaggi and Aoashira decided they wanted in on the fun too, but both ended up dead and carved.

Maybe it's just because I've been doing guild quests, or the awesome loot, or the stat rebalancing (numbers are a lot smaller now), or my familiarity with some of the recurring monsters, or two Felyne Comrades, or a combination of those factors, but I feel a lot more powerful going into three star quests in Portable 3rd than I did in Tri. I actually feel like I could take on a Barroth much more easily in this game, though time will tell.

* Definitely not its actual name, but I can't read Japanese and don't care to look it up at the moment.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Maybe it's just because I've been doing guild quests, or the awesome loot, or the stat rebalancing (numbers are a lot smaller now), or my familiarity with some of the recurring monsters, or two Felyne Comrades, or a combination of those factors, but I feel a lot more powerful going into three star quests in Portable 3rd than I did in Tri. I actually feel like I could take on a Barroth much more easily in this game, though time will tell.
For some reason the Barroth did seem a lot easier to me in Portable 3rd than it did in Tri. And so did Jhen Mohren.

On a somewhat related note: I think Capcom's Captivate event is this week. I keep hoping TriG's localization and internet play will be announced, but I find it hard to keep my hopes up...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Lucky In Love

So my bro and I are getting REALLY close to hitting the 2x Tigrex urgent quest in MHFU. We just need to kill a few hi-level Khezu and Gypceros to get his Khezu Shock Blade upgrade. If anyone else is in the same general area we should work out a time to give it a few goes over Ad-hoc party.

Edit: Me and Bobbywatson are planning something for Saturday, April 7th. If anyone else wants to join then give us some times. I'm flexible. I'll be posting this in the hardcore awesome thread as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Come, noble knights!

If I had a PS3 I'd gladly play with you, but as is my only option would be Xlink Kai, and I doubt custom firmware would be compatible with an official Ad-Hoc service.

EDIT: Meh, my HR's too low. So much for that.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Random guy

Quote:
I doubt custom firmware would be compatible with an official Ad-Hoc service.
Custom firmware works fine with AdHoc Party. I've tested it for well over 100 hours at this point.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
Custom firmware works fine with AdHoc Party. I've tested it for well over 100 hours at this point.
Oh, okay then! In that case, the only obstacle once I got that set up would be my complete lack of progress at HR leveling. Good luck with the dual Tigrex. ^^;
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Oh, okay then! In that case, the only obstacle once I got that set up would be my complete lack of progress at HR leveling.
The absence of a PS3 is also an obstacle
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
The absence of a PS3 is also an obstacle
Yeah...Oh well, at least I've got one of the HD consoles now. If Capcom ever decides to localize Monster Hunter Frontier so it can be played in English with no region locked servers, the Xbox 360 already has a port to work off of.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Lucky In Love

You just need to find a friend who likes Monster Hunter and owns a PS3! I guess that's not so easy... Adhoc Party can function for several people at once though.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Random guy

So, all the stuff that went on at Capcom's Captivate event last week is out now, apparently, and not a single word regarding Monster Hunter TriG. If there's nothing about it at E3, that will probably mean we will never see it on this side of the Pacific ocean.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
So, all the stuff that went on at Capcom's Captivate event last week is out now, apparently, and not a single word regarding Monster Hunter TriG. If there's nothing about it at E3, that will probably mean we will never see it on this side of the Pacific ocean.
I wouldn't import a Japanese 3DS to play it (stupid region locking), but if Capcom would just release 3G in the US I'd buy a 3DS to play it. The lock-on system would mean I could fight underwater while still knowing where my target is (probably the reason they decided to add one in the first place, now that I think about it), and I'd love to see the new monsters in English and actually be able to use the weapon types Tri stupidly omitted because of initial growing pains with the underwater battle system.

As is though, support only for local wireless may be a hurdle for a local release in this case. You could potentially write off Portable 3rd as not being localized because of the Metal Gear Solid themed equipment, with the potential issues with either paying royalties and licensing to Konami for western releases or a certain section of the fanbase wanting to set the company on fire if the stuff was omitted or replaced (especially after Capcom USA's brilliant PR in recent months =/ ), but at least the PSP games work online if you have a PS3 or custom firmware.

The 3DS doesn't have a system like that available to take local wireless to the Internet though, and most of the Japanese gaming industry is too stubborn to realize that what may work with handhelds in a country where they're the top gaming platform and people are so close together wouldn't be so effective when the population is more spread out and it's a challenge just to find somebody with the same gaming tastes as you have.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
The metal babble flees!

So, I wasn't hip to what "the claw" was until I had the brilliant idea to look it up on google images, and... my hand is having cramps just from looking at it. I'm in no way wholeheartedly committed to MH, but if it got to the point that I were, would the claw be necessary?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

You can just furiously mash the L button to center the camera behind your character...

...if you're a MH noob *snicker*

No, really. The Claw isn't that bad. You get used to it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
is Earnest

Or get a Vita.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Random guy

According to Traumadore, it's possible to play Monster Hunter on a PSP without the claw. I disagree. I got used to it, and I don't even realize anymore when I do it. Although I do feel it after playing for a few hours.

Although I should say that after playing MHP3rd on PS3 for weeks, I am definitely considering getting a Vita at some point just for MHFU.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

The only problems I've ever had with the claw were accidentally pressing up or down on the d-pad and screwing up my camera at the worst moments.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM

I actually prefer the claw to a second stick now. It gives me easier access to buttons while doing camera.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Yeah, I've tried to not claw, but it just comes naturally at this point. Hell, I even do it while playing Tri with a classic controller.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

I don't use the claw, I move the camera when I'm attacking or else doing something that leaves me immobile.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
According to Traumadore, it's possible to play Monster Hunter on a PSP without the claw. I disagree.
I only stopped claw-ing when I switched to the PSPgo. You really can't due to the recessed d-pad, centered analog, and screen in the way. But at that point I already knew the monsters well enough that using the buttons normally wasn't a hindrance. You get to a point where you know you're safe even when the monster is off screen.

Amusingly now that I have a Vita I find myself using the claw again once in a while, and have to remind myself of the other stick.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Come, noble knights!

Yeah, I've gotten used to the claw in Monster Hunter as well. I've actually been trying a variant on the claw in Dark Souls* because it's way more reliable with the bigger bosses than lock-on.

*Thumb on right stick, index finger on B/ (roll/run button), middle and possibly ring fingers for RT & RB/R1 & R2 stuff.

Tags
action rpg , capcom , digital poaching , dinosaur pants , do it again chen , explodes at 100 seconds , hnnnnnnnnng , japan loves pangolins , kelbi torture , kick the felyne , killbabydinos , monster hunter , more like see-a-douche , nibelsnarf is a dumb name , nobody likes khezu , our love is zinogre , shit japan likes , sooo tasty! , you bastard