The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Come, noble knights!

You should aim towards killing more Daimyo Hermitaurs if you can. The Hermitaur Mail set has really good defenses, and with a few Defense Jewels attached to boost its Defense ability you get a +30 Defense boost on top of that. It does have a bit of a problem with Thunder resistance, but slapping on a couple of Thunder Jewels will at least negate the additional Thunder Res penalty.

Really, learning about armor abilities in MHFU's books was the best thing to happen to my Monster Hunter playstyle. When I first started Tri I just kinda haphazardly slapped on gems with abilities I was interested in instead of trying to improve the abilities the armor sets had, but now I take my advantages where I can find 'em. I keep Velociprey (FU) and Chain Mail (Tri) sets around for item combining (useful at home and for mining in the wild), two brands of Vespoid armor for paralysis negation (Eat it, Gendrome!), a Melahoa outfit for gathering runs...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Come, noble knights!

I friggin' love alchemy. ^_^

I got the remaining parts I needed to build an entire Makluva outfit. I initially bought it to have a good suit of combining armor with much better defenses than my Velociprey Mail. I do miss out on the faint negation and sharpening my weapon in a single stroke, but in their place I get boost to my abnormal status attack weapons and have a big boost to my luck with the fish biting.

And of course, there's the Alchemy skill. Item combinations were already pretty nuts, but this brings some new ones that are completely nuts. I can make Blue Mushrooms by combining Antidote Herbs with Toadstools, a Screamer from a Frog and Flute.* Power and Armor Seeds from Bomberries and Needleberries mixed with Velociprey and Giaprey hides.

Even formerly nigh worthless crap like Garbage and Insect Husks have worth. I'm tempted to go botch some combinations to stock up on trash for alchemising now, 'cuz I just banished it to the store before.

Also this outfit makes me look like some crazy hooded baggy striped fin-eared tengu clown. I love it. =D

* Not that the Screamer combo's practical given flute prices and that Trenya's adventures are a more reliable/less expensive source, but it's still a perfect example of how crazy alchemy is.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks! I guess I know what's going to be happening with the rest of my afternoon now! >_<
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Come, noble knights!

Well, today I learned that I can take four Great Jaggis on my own with a 50-minute time limit, and this was on an online quest. And yet, I still have a lot of trouble soloing one Barroth. I tried the online hunt and brought bombs and traps to let me get in extra blows and shit to fling at it, and it still beat me in the end.

Maybe I'll be luckier with its Portable 3rd counterpart. At least there my weapon options won't be so limited.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Barroth's one of the harder fights in the game from my experience. I learned to use a hammer just to get through it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM

I hate Barroth. I would rather fight a Rathian.

I've never done any online stuff. Should I be doing this stuff simultaneously with the offline stuff? I'd like to think it would be more fun to play with other people, but I'm too ashamed of my shitty skills to try.

I've found something strange with my Vita's MHFU save. I played for something absurd like 5-6 hours yesterday (gotta love being on vacation) but the time on my save file is frozen at 28 hrs 15 mins. Maybe I hadn't played as much as I thought I had. I'm thinking the only respectable way to test this would be to play for another 5-6 hours today. (again, vacation hooray)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojuQuest View Post
I hate Barroth. I would rather fight a Rathian.
I can relate to this. My problems with Rathian solo in Tri's online mode have more to do with my crappy equipment and never having that one perfect camera angle I want. With Barroth it's because it charges all over the place and the only good times to get hits without a trap are when it's faking a roar, shaking off mud (which can and will muddy you) or coating itself with new mud.

Quote:
I've never done any online stuff. Should I be doing this stuff simultaneously with the offline stuff? I'd like to think it would be more fun to play with other people, but I'm too ashamed of my shitty skills to try.
Don't worry about your skills too much. Playing online with others is a great way to learn the game, as well as for getting materials for new gear. Even foes like Barroth become easier when one hunter can draw its attention while two or three others wail on it.

You do end up sharing the three lives among the group, but having a group also makes it easier to stay alive.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM

I tend to do any grinding I need to do online. If you ever plan on doing online, that's probably the best way to handle things. Otherwise you're going to be fighting thousands of Ludroths/Barroths/Raths to raise your HR once you do start playing online. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I tend to do any grinding I need to do online. If you ever plan on doing online, that's probably the best way to handle things. Otherwise you're going to be fighting thousands of Ludroths/Barroths/Raths to raise your HR once you do start playing online. I had to learn that lesson the hard way.
I haven't worried about it much in Freedom Unite since I can't play online unless I get a wired PS3 connection or learn about Xlink Kai, but I'm still learning that lesson in Monster Hunter Tri. I'm only about HR 16 now. I really wish the village quests counted towards your HR, even just a little bit.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM

You can actually solo online quests in Freedom Unite. There's a mode specifically for it, though I can't remember if it effects your HR. I do remember getting to fight some things earlier than normal that way, though.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
You can actually solo online quests in Freedom Unite. There's a mode specifically for it, though I can't remember if it effects your HR. I do remember getting to fight some things earlier than normal that way, though.
You can do that in Tri too. Even if you are connected, you don't have to play with others. Although the monsters are much tougher online, so soloing them is not always wise.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Come, noble knights!

Yeah, I know you can solo the guild quests. I actually like Freedom Unite more than Tri in that aspect because I can do solo play offline so I don't have to worry about the Internet connection crapping out. Not that I usually have connection problems, but it happens.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM

So in regards to online play in Freedom Unite, are there any gathering halls that tend to have more people than others? And do I basically just around until someone shows up? Because I'm pretty sure that no one is playing this game besides me....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Random guy

Quote:
So in regards to online play in Freedom Unite, are there any gathering halls that tend to have more people than others? And do I basically just around until someone shows up? Because I'm pretty sure that no one is playing this game besides me....
Freedom Unite is adhoc only. The only way to get online is with AdHoc Party on the PS3 and Xlink Kai on a PC.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Come, noble knights!

Next time I think of capturing a Qurupeco on my own online, remind me that the squawky bastard can and will summon things nastier than he is. It's kinda hard to pound down the big bird for a capture when he summons a Rathian to assist him.

Fortunately, I did get the capture, though it was too close. I had to bust his beak to get a replacement trap.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Next time I think of capturing a Qurupeco on my own online, remind me that the squawky bastard can and will summon things nastier than he is. It's kinda hard to pound down the big bird for a capture when he summons a Rathian to assist him.

Fortunately, I did get the capture, though it was too close. I had to bust his beak to get a replacement trap.
I learned my lesson recently regarding capture quest: bring 1 shock trap, 1 pitfall trap, and materials to make more if required. I was never sure when the time was right to capture that Lagiacrus and ended up either trying to capture too early or kill it.

(For some reason I had the Capture Guru skill, but for whatever reason I was unable to recognize the signs when it's time to capture. I'm an idiot, what can I say.)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Come, noble knights!

...It's here.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is finally here. ^___^

Pictures coming to this post soon. Also, any links to translation guides for the basic menus and abilities and stuff would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Come, noble knights!

The package arrives with some technicolor guests to witness the opening! The recipient's name and address are stealthily hidden by not showing them. The envelope's mostly boring anyway.

Here it is, in all its crappy shrunken PSP The Best boxart!

Here's the manual, in full color. If this had been a Capcom USA release it'd be crappy monochrome.

No Pinkie, I am not buying the crappy kid-oriented spinoff! Especially not at import prices!

PSP menu UMD screen.

Loading screen. Wow, it's nice.

Title screen. A fiery red, compared to Freedom's blue and Freedom Unite's green.

Media install screen. Dawwwww.

Character creation manages to be even more limited than Tri already was compared to Freedom Unite, but it's not like you ever see your avatars without helmets much anyway. I went for a girl and named her Ursa. Hey, there's bears to hunt.

And here's Yukumo Village and its hot springs. Nice to lay back and relax after a rough run-in with a giant electric monster on the trip there.

And here's my two free Felyne Comrades of choice. The white one is Furanerru (who I named Flannelu because the word translates to Flannel but I wanted to keep a U on the end) and the yellow one's Shiyukaa.

Also I love the new area in this game. I think I'm gonna like hanging around Yukumo Village.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Ooh seeing that was not good for me. Now I want to buy Portable 3rd even though I'm still working on Freedom Unite and Tri. It doesn't help that I'm seeking something to help me relearn Japanese.

I must soldier on and fight these urges before I have more Monster Hunter titles than I've fought higher level bosses. (I suppose that would be none, but hey, it seemed like an interesting way to put it.)

I'm currently stuck on Green Plesioth. I've had to start learning how to use a lance because of how un-dodge-able his hip check is. This is irritating for a creature of habit like me, especially since I'd just gotten used to the long sword.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Lucky In Love

Bobbywatson, are you guys still needing to do the Double Tigrex urgent quest? We should try and arrange some time to do that, It's a good 'un. My brother is getting close too, but it might be a while before we can put together a lightning/blocking weapon for him...plus he's moving. But practice is good and I haven't played it on my vita except to load it up and see how it looks. Very decent really.

Being able to look with the second stick is pretty luxurious...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Come, noble knights!

Portable 3rd is great, but you'd probably be fine ignoring the games that came before Freedom Unite. They're mostly a mess of archaic item user interfaces and more limited weapon types, and MHFU's got most of the old areas from previous games except for the towns anyway. There's good reason why it took until Freedom 2 to become a hit, and Freedom Unite's basically the same game but with way more content and a friendlier UI.

Monster Hunter Frontier may be worth a look if it's ever released in English, though. It's an online PC MMORPG, so its expansions presumably apply the improvements from later games along with new areas and monsters. But for now, it's only in Japanese with region locked servers.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I'm currently stuck on Green Plesioth. I've had to start learning how to use a lance because of how un-dodge-able his hip check is. This is irritating for a creature of habit like me, especially since I'd just gotten used to the long sword.
The hip check isn't so bad once you realize how it works. It always goes to the same side, but the hit box is stupid. Check out this video from about 2:40. Note that the windup for the hip check is fairly distinctive, even if your camera is only showing the plesioth's legs.

Also, I hunted a barroth with a longsword and no cats. The main opening is just after it charges - come in from the left and it should be possible to get at least two slashes in just after its tail swings across. Follow with a fading slash to get clear, or continue the combo if it doesn't turn around immediately. I also tend to go for it while it's throwing mud, near the tip of the tail it's safe enough to be worth the risk of the status effect.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Come, noble knights!

Beat my first Aoashira. Compared my first Great Jaggi back when I first started Monster Hunter Tri, the big green bear is almost like a joke boss. It doesn't die as quickly as the 'dromes from non-Tri Monster Hunters, but its attack patterns are easy enough to read that I could easily take it without my Felyne Comrades assisting me.

And of course, the weapon variety available makes all the difference. Though I beat it with a hammer, I've got eleven other weapon types I could've used. If this was Tri, I'd only have said hammer, a sword & shield, a lance, a great sword, and whatever non-sucky assemblies of bowgun parts I could not come up with because they look better with a matching set.

I liked swimming, but adding aquatic combat in Monster Hunter Tri was not worth sacrificing 1/3rd of the weapon types. It's gonna be kinda weird seeing Tri's Deserted Island and Flooded Forest without underwater sections, but they would've been a nightmare with the PSP's D-pad camera, so no big loss. I am interested in seeing how Tri's underwater combat works with the previously omitted weapons if 3G gets translated, though. Not enough to find a means to bypass 3DS region locking, but I'm interested.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Business Man

Gaaaah! Was doing the Advanced double Barioth hunt solo in Tri and ran out of time. I had captured the first one, and was steadily wearing down the second. I had about 10 minutes left and he started limping. I just couldn't put him down in time though He kept flying between zones and as I chased him to his nest the clock ticked out.

I'm pretty sure I can do it on my next run. My supplies were good, but I may bring a few more bombs.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Come, noble knights!

Stuff like this is why I tolerate the language barrier in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

Two of my Felyne Comrades, riding my Piggie around town. The one with the shades is Natarii (no, I didn't realize the katakana pretty much translated to Natalie at the time), while the one in the Aoashira pelt thing is Steve. The Piggie's wearing a devil costume from the downloadable content.

My new Switch Axe, with paralysis capabilities. I picked up plenty of Pawprint Stamps when pounding Melynxes while transporting bamboo shoots for one of the hot springs quests. This side of the blade has a Kokopolo-esque slasher smile.

And here it is in sword form! The other side's got one happy kitty face. This switch axe also has minor paralysis capabilities. It's just a starter weapon, but I love its design.

Also, I gotta say that while I know Deserted Island's gonna lose a good amount of its appeal without the large bodies of water to swim around in, the Flooded Forest's new land areas are far superior to the water-logged tunnels of Tri and (presumably) 3G.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Yggdrasicilian

I should try Portable 3rd soon. Though I kinda want to grab a PSP Go and hack it so I can play a patched version so all the "important" text is translated. Also I have a PS3 now, so I can synch it with a PS3 controller and hook it up to my monitor. But... the expense! orz

I'll feel no guilt playing a patched version on a hacked system, since I specifically bought the damned game. And the Go isn't good for anything else.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 AM
Come, noble knights!

If you've previous Monster Hunters, it's not too hard to play in Japanese.

...Well okay, it's good to check the wikis for translation info on abilities, Felyne Comrade stuff, and gathering quest info so you don't have to foreign language trial and error things, but combat hasn't really changed. You do use to confirm, BBQ, talk to people, and stop petting Piggie instead of × (You know, like confirm and cancel should work), but it's really not too different from the Wii controls.

Heck, the combo system's friendlier than ever. You can just make what you want from the combo list instead of digging through your stuff looking for two things that can be banged together. And while the gunner pouch and Lv1 S that doesn't take up space will be missed, you get a (sadly temporary) fourth page of item spaces, and Nyan Jirou (the Melynx with the hat. bandages, and eyepatch at camp) will take whatever items you give him back to your home base once per quest.

Also, outfitting your comrades is way easier than outfitting yourself. You get junk scraps from forging equipment at the Wyverian Blacksmith or having the Felyne Blacksmith convert items to junk, and a full Felyne set consists of three parts: A weapon, a headpiece, and the body wear. I've got my comrades tricked out like bears and frogs and crap and I'm only at two-star quests.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
chairman of the bored

I just got Freedom Unite.

So, uhm, how do I play this exactly? I did all the beginner's quests, but when I decided to go after the Giadrome/Dinosaur thingy on the mountain it felt like it just threw me off into the deep end. I realize the wealth of options and trying your way forward is part of the appeal, but if anyone of you could nudge me along I'd be really grateful.

Does it recharge it's health every time it leaves the area? Should I set up traps to make sure it doesn't leave? What's a good weapon to use?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffing View Post
I just got Freedom Unite.

So, uhm, how do I play this exactly? I did all the beginner's quests, but when I decided to go after the Giadrome/Dinosaur thingy on the mountain it felt like it just threw me off into the deep end. I realize the wealth of options and trying your way forward is part of the appeal, but if anyone of you could nudge me along I'd be really grateful.

Does it recharge it's health every time it leaves the area? Should I set up traps to make sure it doesn't leave? What's a good weapon to use?
What weapon/armor set are you using? If you have a fire weapon, go for it. Health does not recharge when the Giadrome switches zone (I think).

Giadrome was my first challenge as well when I started playing the game. Just observe its behavior, anticipate its next move, learn its patterns.

And bring potions.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Its health does not recharge unless it goes to sleep in its nest.

It's a good idea to use paintballs on larger monsters, it'll temporarily (by which I mean, for like ten minutes) mark their position on the mini map. This way you can keep track of the monster and hopefully learn where its nest is. It's not necessarily a bad thing to let a monster go to sleep; it won't wake up until it's nice and healthy OR you punch it in the face. You can spend this time doing other things, like laying a trap and/or barrel bombs right next to it.

As to which weapon you should be using, Giadrome can be taken out with just about anything, which makes it a perfect hunt to learn which weapon you're good at, or get good with a weapon you're not.

Tags
action rpg , capcom , digital poaching , dinosaur pants , do it again chen , explodes at 100 seconds , hnnnnnnnnng , japan loves pangolins , kelbi torture , kick the felyne , killbabydinos , monster hunter , more like see-a-douche , nibelsnarf is a dumb name , nobody likes khezu , our love is zinogre , shit japan likes , sooo tasty! , you bastard