The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Come, noble knights!

Default Hey Gastronome, let's talk Monster Hunter General, meow!

We technically don't have one beyond Monster Hunter Tri's thread for setting up online games, so what the heck?

This series has been on my mind a lot recently. Building optimal armor sets, learning to effectively use weapons against foes where I may have a speed or strength disadvantage, deciding whether that map is really necessary when you go over your item limit, kicking my Felyne Comrade in the face when s/he blows me up/attacks other Felynes unprovoked/shatters a Hornetaur I was trying to poison to death, that dang Plesioth, feeling the sting of failure but knowing you can do better and play smarter next time, the sheer satisfaction of that moment when this monster that's way bigger and stronger than me finally succumbs to the warm embrace of death or tranquilizing drugs...I love it.

One of my favorite things about the Monster Hunter series is the environments. Any other game series with a focus on action like this would go for boring flat featureless rooms, but Monster Hunter has actual terrain. Beautiful sights to see. Things to climb. Areas 2 and 8 of the Snowy Mountains have hidden gathering spots, with the latter having an enormous shed dragon skin you can mine from.

If anyone's interested in playing the series, I'd recommend Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or Monster Hunter Tri. The games before them had some growing pains with item management, and MHFU has nearly all the locales from its predecessors along with its UI improvements. Tri doesn't have as much excess, but it's easier to play online and there are advantages to its streamlining and resolution boost.

Anyway, feel free to talk about Monster Hunter here.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Monster Hunter FU is a lot more playable on the Vita now that I can use the camera instead of ruining my hand with a terrible claw. Too bad I'm busy playing new games instead, though.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Monster Hunter FU...
This explains so much.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
is Earnest

I'm going to pick up Freedom Unite, but I'm not sure when. Is there a way to get it online using a mac or PC? I have a PS3, but it's the main DVD/BluRay/Netflix machine for my apartment, so I wouldn't have access to it on a regular basis.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

Playing Monster Hunter Frontier for that promotional free trial they had back in January showed me Japan is god damn crazy when it comes to Monster Hunter. You guys don't even know.

As for what game you should start with: Monster Hunter Tri is baby easy. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite will start punching your dick in about the time you hit high rank online. MHP3rd is somewhere in the middle but still much easier than Freedom Unite.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Monster Hunter FU is a lot more playable on the Vita now that I can use the camera instead of ruining my hand with a terrible claw. Too bad I'm busy playing new games instead, though.
The other nub has D-pad functionality with PSP games? I might have to look into a Vita when it gets more exclusives. My copy of MHFU is a digital one, and I was planning on getting a physical one* too at some point if I decided to disassociate my digital games with my refurb.

For now though, I'm actually thinking about putting off my new PSP get to import Portable 3rd. I know the language barrier will be an obstacle at times, but I don't mind looking at translation FAQs or learning by trial and error. I'd need one to know what some items/materials/abilities are or do, but I'm much more willing to play something like this with a language barrier than a traditional RPG.

* If I get it physically, it'll be the Dual Pack with Freedom 2. Yes I know MHF2's item interface is almost as bad as MHF1's.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
World of Darkness Returns

The Vita lets you map the left stick, the dpad or (if I remember right) the buttons to the right stick. Why anyone would ever map anything other than the dpad is beyond me.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
The other nub has D-pad functionality with PSP games? I might have to look into a Vita when it gets more exclusives.
You can choose to have the right stick mirror the D-Pad, the left stick or the square, circle, triangle, X buttons. Also, PSP games look really nice on it. I just want more of them to be available digitally now.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Come, noble knights!

I just finished off the Green Plesioth. A misplaced Shock Trap aside, fighting smarter's the way to handle that piscine bastard. I specifically waited until I upgraded my Iron Katana "Gospel" to a (Thunder Attribute) Eager Cleaver before fighting it again. Strong, fast, good amount of green sharpness so it doesn't helplessly bounce off like other weapons. Paired that with my high defense Hermitaur Mail, brought some smoke bombs so I could pixel hunt the fishing spots without it noticing me and sonic bombs so I could send it flying out of the water, and went to town on it. Especially when it feel in the Pitfall Trap.

I still got KOed a couple of times, but that's only because it can put you in a dizzy spell if it smacks you around enough.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Come, noble knights!

Wow, I am loving my Eager Cleaver. I can one-shot Antekas, strike down Blangos and Bullfangos in two to three blows, and it holds sharpness pretty.

I also hunted my first Gypceros. I was gonna use the expedition for more Hornetaur sniping with my new Ioprey brand bowgun, but since they didn't keep to the caves at night I put my effort into hunting the big bird instead. Fell once, but overall it was an easy mark. I'll definitely be hunting it and that sack o' lard Khezu a few times to make a new sword.

That is, after killing some Giadromes and Iodromes for a new set of dual blades. Ice and poison, the first dual elemental set I've seen. It's gonna be an eternity before I have the stuff to upgrade my novelty silverware, anyway.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 AM
Random guy

I've been thinking for a while that TT needed a thread like this! Thanks MetManMas!

Quote:
The Vita lets you map the left stick, the dpad or (if I remember right) the buttons to the right stick. Why anyone would ever map anything other than the dpad is beyond me.
Me & My Katamari.

Quote:
For now though, I'm actually thinking about putting off my new PSP get to import Portable 3rd. I know the language barrier will be an obstacle at times, but I don't mind looking at translation FAQs or learning by trial and error. I'd need one to know what some items/materials/abilities are or do, but I'm much more willing to play something like this with a language barrier than a traditional RPG.
If you're using custom firmware on your PSP, it is possible to get a translation patch. I got the UMD a while ago, converted it to an ISO, and I am using the patch when I'm playing by myself on the PSP (though if I'm playing by myself I'm more likely to use Portable 3rd HD on the PS3, it looks nicer and I can use the second analog stick.) It is certainly possible to play the game without speaking Japanese, but knowing Kana helps quite a bit. It would help even more if I could read those damn Katakana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I'm going to pick up Freedom Unite, but I'm not sure when. Is there a way to get it online using a mac or PC? I have a PS3, but it's the main DVD/BluRay/Netflix machine for my apartment, so I wouldn't have access to it on a regular basis.
There is a way, it's called Xlink Kai. I've never used it myself. With custom firmware, you can use USB, but with regular firmware, you need a dedicated Wi-Fi device that can be used by Kai to communicate with the PSP. (There's a list of supported devices here.)

In other news, yesterday's attempt at hunting a Barioth in Tri ended in miserable failure. Will try again, most likely tonight. And I might spend my Saturday trying to complete the single player campaign.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
There is a way, it's called Xlink Kai. I've never used it myself. With custom firmware, you can use USB, but with regular firmware, you need a dedicated Wi-Fi device that can be used by Kai to communicate with the PSP. (There's a list of supported devices here.)

In other news, yesterday's attempt at hunting a Barioth in Tri ended in miserable failure. Will try again, most likely tonight. And I might spend my Saturday trying to complete the single player campaign.
Well, I have a Macbook Air and an Airport Express router, so I guess I'll have to use the PS3 when I can.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Lucky In Love

Sounds like you're cruising MetMan. Especially if it's by yourself. Getting green sharpness is so important they should really make it clear as soon as possible. Most people don't realize until they hit the congalala. The lightning katanas never stop being amazing. If you get a good fire or ice weapon as well you'll be able to attack the weakness of pretty much every monster. You're also going to want a solid guarding weapon eventually for a few monsters that can't reasonably be dodged.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Sounds like you're cruising MetMan. Especially if it's by yourself. Getting green sharpness is so important they should really make it clear as soon as possible. Most people don't realize until they hit the congalala. The lightning katanas never stop being amazing. If you get a good fire or ice weapon as well you'll be able to attack the weakness of pretty much every monster. You're also going to want a solid guarding weapon eventually for a few monsters that can't reasonably be dodged.
For me, it was Khezu. The Glutton's Set dual blades and demonizing when I had a good opening carried me pretty well up until then, even against the Congalala. It's when I met that fat tub of lard that I really started to have problems with my blades bouncing off helplessly.

Khezu's pretty easy to read compared to other monsters, though. It can bring on the pain if you get too complacent and don't roll out of the way before it goes Blanka on you, or you try to drink down a Potion too soon thinking you have the time to move if you need to and end up blasted by an electric wave, but it has a slow wind up to its attacks and firing electricity from its mouth leaves a great opening to go wailing on it.

And with the exception of having a Felyne Comrade tag along for foes to use something besides me as a teething post, I am flying solo. My usual comrades of choice are Calamari, a violent lil' yellow Melynx who loves to sword things, and Rush, a lemon-colored pacifist puss who serves only as a flute support Felyne and a punching bag for monsters.

EDIT: And now I just hired a white Felyne named Texas who aims large and mainly uses bombs. This game, huh?

Last edited by MetManMas; 03-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Come, noble knights!

If there's one thing that continues to be a constant in my Monster Hunter adventures, it's that it's really easy to get complacent when it comes to hunting and then I quickly learn not to underestimate my targets the hard way.

My most recent target was the Blangonga. I still had some undone 3-star quests from the Pokke village elder, but unlocking 4-star rank unlocks more farm expansions and new stuff to buy. He wasn't particularly hard, but he's got some nasty tricks up his sleeve. Summoning Blangos, wiping paintballs off his face (not that he's hard to track), a Daimyo Hermitaur-esque Dig attack, ice breath that freezes you over...This guy's still a chump compared to that Barroth asshole over in Monster Hunter Tri, but he definitely smacked me around a bit. As in one of my two KOs was from getting knocked dizzy, frozen, and bitch slapped into unconsciousness.

But in the end, I prevailed. Wasn't able to make a capture because I was dumb and forgot my Tranq Bombs (always forgetting something), but I did use the traps to help speed up finishing him off. And now to kill several more of him to upgrade my ice element Blango Destroyer+ into a Blango Decimator. Might start farming ore for that Gunhammer Prototype before I do.

EDIT: Holy crap, the Volcano is a miner's dream location. I think I know where I'm going next. ^_^

Last edited by MetManMas; 03-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Come, noble knights!

Well, just failed the offline Bloodstone quest in Monster Hunter Tri. I went in figuring "Hey, bobbywatson and alpha jammer and I have done this quest online before without running into monsters we were actively looking for, so I'll just bring along some pickaxes and hot drinks and whetstones and use this expedition for mining and switch axe practice! There's no way I'll run into any misfortune doing this by myself!"

And that's how I got curb stomped by my first Gigginox. Well, that and my stubborn persistence at trying to kill it with no antidotes and a weapon I'm not 100% comfortable with using because I wanted to make some new toys out of its velvety body chunks. That's how they get you.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Come, noble knights!

Fought my first Monster Hunter Freedom Unite vintage Rathian and in the end the mission was a failure. My first mistake was bringing a Gunhammer to an Eager Cleaver fight, and the second was using my traps too early because I thought she was limping. I actually came close to killing her (got her back to the lair to sleep), but when my health hit the 1/4 mark with no healing items and on my final life I should've high tailed it back to camp all of two areas away to heal.

Instead, I made Mistake#3: I tried to finish her off. "How much more life could she possibly have?" I said, "She'll just die to the next spin attack combo!" I said. Bam, I get hit, can't get out of the way to flee to home base before she does the finishing blow. Fission Mailed.

I wasn't a complete loss, though! I did get some Fire Wyvern Fluid I smacked out of her and the Purple Gypceros hunting and Genprey slaying with Guest Star Gendrome* quests I took after it went much better.

And Volcano gathering...Holy shit at all the mining points! At first I settled for bringing as many pickaxes as I could carry, but when that wasn't enough I started rocking four volumes of Book of Combos and iron ore and bones to make replacement pickaxes. Then I came to my senses a couple of volcano runs later and went with my combination boosting Velociprey Mail to free up those four spaces for more ores and goodies. I've got tons of ores and spheres and jewels and a chunk of rust that became a rusted sword that became a tarnished sword and will eventually become a great dragon slayer...when I'm capable of doing an elder dragon blood drive and show I don't even need it, that is.

Also: Goddammit Melynx fuck you assholes I wanna transport these powderstones for Pokke Points not get smacked and blown up! Grrrrrrrrrr!!! 1-Hit K.O. from Eager Cleaver! I'm take your Pawprint Stamps now.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Lucky In Love

Elder dragon blood is the worst. I don't know how I got enough for my Kaiser Mail, it took a long time. I think I'll be using it make the epitaph blade if I stumble on some more.

I think I made Basarios U armor and a good ice sword and shield. Took forever to get all the basarios tears and blangonga fang +s. Then I fought the single player Lunastra/Teostra like 20 times. You get the bloods mainly by cutting tails and breaking horns.

Basically it's not going to happen by accident! Wish I could help you!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

Eh, I probably wouldn't use it much anyway. I'm more of an evader than a blocker, and I prefer fast but strong weapons like long swords and hammers. Especially when playing solo, which is how I'm flying in Unite 'til I get a PS3 or figure out this homebrew thing.

On a different note, I've ordered Monster Hunter Portable 3rd! It'll be interesting dealing with the language barrier and and × working like they were intended to until Sony screwed with things, but hey, the combat's easy to grasp and I might learn something in the process.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Fought my first Monster Hunter Freedom Unite vintage Rathian and in the end the mission was a failure. My first mistake was bringing a Gunhammer to an Eager Cleaver fight, and the second was using my traps too early because I thought she was limping. I actually came close to killing her (got her back to the lair to sleep), but when my health hit the 1/4 mark with no healing items and on my final life I should've high tailed it back to camp all of two areas away to heal.

Instead, I made Mistake#3: I tried to finish her off. "How much more life could she possibly have?" I said, "She'll just die to the next spin attack combo!" I said. Bam, I get hit, can't get out of the way to flee to home base before she does the finishing blow. Fission Mailed.
The Rathalos (and Rathian, probably...) limp at about 25% health and should always head back to the nest to sleep afterwards. If you're not certain, leave them alone for a minute to see if they sleep or run around.

Quote:
And Volcano gathering...Holy shit at all the mining points! At first I settled for bringing as many pickaxes as I could carry, but when that wasn't enough I started rocking four volumes of Book of Combos and iron ore and bones to make replacement pickaxes.
You probably don't need large quantities of machalite ore any more, so 4 super pickaxes and a handful of bones should be enough to keep you supplied. I've also found my cats useful for picking up more ore, but that works better in P3rd than Unite/P2G.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Random guy

I had some time tonight (I was supposed to spend my evening working, but I ended up only working one hour) and, in an attempt to move forward (and hopefully finish, at some point) the single player campaign in Monster Hunter Tri, I attempted to beat the Barioth for a second time.

I failed. Miserably. The thing was not even limping by the third time it killed me.

Next time, I'm going to try mixing Adamant Seed with whatever it takes to make a "super defence potion", and try not to waste my third shock trap. We'll see how it goes. At least this time I had a decent long sword with the fire element, so that probably counted for something.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Come, noble knights!

I tried the Jhen Mohran event quest since there was no HR requirements involved. Of course I failed, going it solo and having no clue about how to do things until I experimented a bit (Collect ammo to fire the giant crossbow, get cannonballs for the cannon, the giant spear and harpoons and gong are timed things). I did manage to mine some ores and scales from it and spear it once, though I didn't get to the second phase or anything.

It was certainly different, like hunting a scaly desert-dwelling Moby Dick. I'd definitely be interested in trying it again with a group to see if it goes any better.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Come, noble knights!

Just soloed a Monoblos yesterday, not that it could ever be fought with others since it's apparently only in village quests. I wasn't able to break the horn that's required for everything (Is there a particular kind of wall or ledge it has to ram into to get stuck?), but I did hack off its tail and exploit its weaknesses, and all in all I managed to kill it without being K.O.ed. My human intelligence and stock of Sonic Bombs is superior to your dumb monster brain!

I know it's supposed to be a harder game (eventually), but for whatever reasons I've been having an easier time with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite than with Monster Hunter Tri. Maybe it's because it's easier to focus on what's happening on a handheld screen* compared to a TV, or maybe due to some monsters are really easy to read and have big openings to getting smacked around (Hey Khezu).

Or it could just be that I have much better weapon and armor options available earlier. The Hermitaur Mail's defenses are built like a quarterback (literally) and it has an ability that increases its defense, so I've been putting my Armor Spheres and Armor Sphere+s into making it even better. And the Eager Cleaver has both great attack power and sharpness that's high enough that I usually only have to sharpen it once during a hunt, if at all.

Over in Tri the most defensive armor I've got at the moment is a ridiculous coat made of water lizard sponges, and while the Ananta Boneblade has paralysis going for it, it doesn't have sharpness or attack levels anywhere near on par with what I've got on PSP.

In both games I'm around the Rank 4 village quests. Oh well, I expect something nastier will show up in MHFU soon.

* Tri does have way better resolution, though. That and the Gunner Pouch makes being a bowgun user much easier on the Wii...If I could get a good bowgun and gunner armor geared towards enemies ignoring me.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Just soloed a Monoblos yesterday, not that it could ever be fought with others since it's apparently only in village quests. I wasn't able to break the horn that's required for everything (Is there a particular kind of wall or ledge it has to ram into to get stuck?), but I did hack off its tail and exploit its weaknesses, and all in all I managed to kill it without being K.O.ed. My human intelligence and stock of Sonic Bombs is superior to your dumb monster brain!
Getting horns from those things is a nuisance, the Diablos even more so. In Tri/P3 you want the free-standing column near in the southwest corner of the northeast area - it's not far from the exit, and right by the wall. That's the only place I can think of to get them stuck.
Quote:
I know it's supposed to be a harder game (eventually), but for whatever reasons I've been having an easier time with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite than with Monster Hunter Tri. Maybe it's because it's easier to focus on what's happening on a handheld screen* compared to a TV, or maybe due to some monsters are really easy to read and have big openings to getting smacked around (Hey Khezu).

Or it could just be that I have much better weapon and armor options available earlier. The Hermitaur Mail's defenses are built like a quarterback (literally) and it has an ability that increases its defense, so I've been putting my Armor Spheres and Armor Sphere+s into making it even better. And the Eager Cleaver has both great attack power and sharpness that's high enough that I usually only have to sharpen it once during a hunt, if at all.

Over in Tri the most defensive armor I've got at the moment is a ridiculous coat made of water lizard sponges, and while the Ananta Boneblade has paralysis going for it, it doesn't have sharpness or attack levels anywhere near on par with what I've got on PSP.

In both games I'm around the Rank 4 village quests. Oh well, I expect something nastier will show up in MHFU soon.
I think you're a bit closer to the end of Tri than FU, but I found Tri didn't have a great deal of nice equipment compared to P2G. Maybe it gets better if you play online, I didn't like the HR grinding structure.

Overall I found Tri pretty easy to get through, but by the time I got to that and P3 I'd put a lot of time into P2G. I rarely have Tri/P3 hunts go out past about 25 minutes, but I have a suspicion 40 minute hunts were less uncommon in P2G.

P2G/FU gets much harder once you finish the quests you can see now - past 6* village and 8* guild. Monster damage goes way up, and I'd be struggling a lot if not for my armour that allows me to walk away from any attack as long as I start above 60% health. (also holy crap I've logged 181 hours on P2G + another 60 that got deleted).
Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek View Post
Getting horns from those things is a nuisance, the Diablos even more so. In Tri/P3 you want the free-standing column near in the southwest corner of the northeast area - it's not far from the exit, and right by the wall. That's the only place I can think of to get them stuck.
I'm playing Freedom Unite, though. I did try getting it to run at me when near walls, but nothing stuck, at least not on walls that are area borders. I hope this won't be pixel hunting similar to the Plesioth's "You must fish on this and only this spot" kind, because those broken horns are much more vital than just getting a few more easy smacks/bombings/trap setups.

Quote:
I think you're a bit closer to the end of Tri than FU, but I found Tri didn't have a great deal of nice equipment compared to P2G. Maybe it gets better if you play online, I didn't like the HR grinding structure.

Overall I found Tri pretty easy to get through, but by the time I got to that and P3 I'd put a lot of time into P2G. I rarely have Tri/P3 hunts go out past about 25 minutes, but I have a suspicion 40 minute hunts were less uncommon in P2G.

P2G/FU gets much harder once you finish the quests you can see now - past 6* village and 8* guild. Monster damage goes way up, and I'd be struggling a lot if not for my armour that allows me to walk away from any attack as long as I start above 60% health. (also holy crap I've logged 181 hours on P2G + another 60 that got deleted).
Yeah, I was definitely expecting a bigger difficulty boost as I went on.

I think the difference besides the bigger variety of equipment options earlier on is that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite eases you into fighting bigger foes a bit better. You start off with the Dromes, which are just bigger versions of common foes, and move onto stuff like the Yian Kut-Ku, Congalala, Daimyo Hermitaur, and Khezu. Many of these bosses can bring on the hurt if you're unprepared, but they generally tend to have easy to read patterns and attacks that leave them open to a few hits in a row. Even Plesioth's not too terrible if you come prepared with frogs, smoke bombs, and sonic bombs.

In Monster Hunter Tri, your first boss is the Great Jaggi. It's a breeze once you've familiarized yourself with its patterns and know to get the hell out of its way when it tackles, but it's tougher than your typical Velocidromes or Bulldromes and a pretty big step up from butchering Jaggis, Jaggias, and Rhenolops. Considering that your weapon and armor options are more limited, it wouldn't surprise me if that first fight was a pretty big hurdle for more than one new hunter.

Next comes Qurpeco, with projectile attacks, summons, and a highly damaging leaping attack it can use up to three times in a row. Then Royal Ludroth comes along and brings in rolls to squish side assaulters and underwater combat. And then there's Barroth. I'm still not quite comfortable fighting Barroth, at least not solo or with Cha-Cha as my only companion. It can charge you, it can trap you in mud, it can freeze you with roars, and its weakness changes depending on whether the mud's on or off. It moves fast, it hits hard, it mostly only leaves itself open when it's about to roar or growl or shake mud on you or remuddify itself, and I know it's not standard for the series to have a freeplay area but it's also the first of the big monsters that you can't familiarize yourself with in the relative safety of Moga Woods.

But really, equipment does make a big difference, too. In MHFU, I failed my first solo attempt at a Rathian hunt because I went in a little underprepared and with the wrong weapon, set my traps too early, and was too reckless when she was almost dead; in Tri it was because she takes forever to kill with my crappy equipment, most of my gear requires parts from stuff I haven't even encountered to upgrade, and I couldn't even get her limping before time was almost up. Totally schooled her ass in Tri's online arena, though. I did get K.O.ed a few times, but it happens with preset gear.

Freedom Unite's 1v1 monster training, on the other hand...Well I can see why Monster Hunter Tri gives you 3-5 lives and more armor for these fights.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Ah. In the MHFU desert you want area 7, in the northwest corner. I normally use the column in the center, but when I went to test it got stuck in a wall too. I think one of the dead-end areas just southeast (where the hermitaur goes to die) also works, on a ledge.

That hunt reminded me that you might want to check out the fire-element Wyvern Blade tree - it eventually overtakes the Eager Cleaver tree for damage.

I don't think I have many tricks for the barroth. When it's shaking mud off, you can take cover underneath. I tend to close in and smack it anyway and hope chacha/my cats will clear it off if I get hit. I mostly used a lance in Tri, where you can block its charge then go nuts stabbing it.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Come, noble knights!

Another day, another postbox with no Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in it. I expect it's gonna take a while since it's got to travel halfway across the world, but I still hate it when I can't track my Amazon purchases.

Anyway, gotta ask this: Is there any reason to play Monster Hunter Freedom 2 when Monster Hunter Freedom Unite basically appears to be it but with more content, more monsters, Felyne Comrades, and a non-crappy item user interface? I mean, Monster Hunter Freedom lacks a ton of weapons that would be introduced later on and things like the great sword's charge attack or good sword & shield weapons, but for what it's worth at least it takes place in a different village.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Another day, another postbox with no Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in it. I expect it's gonna take a while since it's got to travel halfway across the world, but I still hate it when I can't track my Amazon purchases.

Anyway, gotta ask this: Is there any reason to play Monster Hunter Freedom 2 when Monster Hunter Freedom Unite basically appears to be it but with more content, more monsters, Felyne Comrades, and a non-crappy item user interface? .
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is an expanded version of Monster Hunter Freedom 2. In Japan, it was called Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is an expanded version of Monster Hunter Freedom 2. In Japan, it was called Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G.
Yeah, I knew that much. Looking into things on the wiki a little more, it also looks like some weapons were easier to make in Freedom 2 than Freedom Unite. Where I'd need Kirin Thunder Tails to upgrade my Eager Cleaver in MHFU I'd only need Thunderbug Juice, things like that.

Oh well, it's not really worth the more archaic interface.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 PM

Oh boy, a Monster Hunter thread! I have an disproportionate amount of love for the Monster Hunter series, considering I've never gotten very far in any of the installments that I've played.

I started out with MHFU and but I stopped playing in favor of Monster Hunter Tri when it came out so I could play with my friends (and have controls that aren't awful) who I convinced to play the game with me. They hated the game and I stopped playing more or less because of that. I've been on and off trying to get back into, but I could never quite 'figure it out' until I watched a bunch of SocialDissonance's videos and listened to a few of his podcasts. I'd been playing Tri like crazy, and had just beat the Gigginox, but I had to fly home and had to leave my Wii back in that other country I just happen to reside in. I bought a Vita so I'd have something exciting to do while I while away the long hours and I discovered that I could remap the camera controls of MHFU to the second analog stick.

I don't know whether to be ashamed or proud to admit that I've put way more hours into playing MHFU than either of the games I bought with my Vita.

I just beat my first Daimyo Hermitaur. It's not exactly a high level monster but it felt good.

Any specific armor sets I should be working on getting at the three star level quests?

Tags
action rpg , capcom , digital poaching , dinosaur pants , do it again chen , explodes at 100 seconds , hnnnnnnnnng , japan loves pangolins , kelbi torture , kick the felyne , killbabydinos , monster hunter , more like see-a-douche , nibelsnarf is a dumb name , nobody likes khezu , our love is zinogre , shit japan likes , sooo tasty! , you bastard