The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 12-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Important note:

Rubber cement is a distinctly different from plastic cement. Rubber cement is a lot like super glue in use and form: it's a binding agent. You can totally make models with it, but I personally advice against it since it can be messy, and you can accidentally glue the wrong things, and you don't want it on your fingers/clothes, and you can have issues with a fog that forms surrounding the glued parts.

Plastic cement is what you want - it's a solvent that temporarily melts the plastic at the molecular level, allowing the plastic of two pieces to mix and become one. Once it evaporates (you'll want it to set for a few hours) it hardens back up and binds two pieces of plastic together permanently. This is the stuff I use:

The orange bottle on the left is what you probably want to be using for firmly bonding parts together for your old Zaku, Kirin. The stuff on the right is a thinner, more dilute version that doesn't bond things as hard. It's good for touch up work after the fact. I use it every now and on loose pegs as well to keep a model firmly together. You can use other brands, in my experience though the stuff that comes in tubes are so powerful that you risk turning your models into molten lumps and these liquid versions are better. Also, the fumes on these are, while technically not hazardous to your health, smell very noxious/strong and it's probably best to be on the safe side and do this kinda work somewhere with some open ventilation. Here's a little tutorial video to show you what you're doing and give you some confidence if it sounds daunting (because it's pretty easy stuff):

Giant box just arrived in the mail. I have a problem, and its name is Gunpla:

Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Lucky In Love

Huh, I didn't know rubber cement was different. I've used generic rubber cement in a tube from the hardware store on models and it behaves the same as tubes labelled as model glue. It is powerful, but it works fine on tabletop models where the plastic is much thicker. I could see how it would get out of control on Gunpla.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Plastic cement is what you want - it's a solvent that temporarily melts the plastic at the molecular level, allowing the plastic of two pieces to mix and become one. Once it evaporates (you'll want it to set for a few hours) it hardens back up and binds two pieces of plastic together permanently. This is the stuff I use:
Okay so... you need to let it harden for a few hours before you sand it or anything, but presumably it sticks well enough that you can continue binding on more pieces? Because almost everything in that kit is going to need it, and waiting a few hours between almost every step would sure be a drag.

The plastic cement does sound the best results-wise, but I'm also a bit concerned about the fumes, as I've been building kits in my living room. Rubber cement seems like a serious PITA for small pieces though with how goopy it is. I may be tempted to just go back to superglue, which the video guy talks about using sometimes just to hold pieces together. I dunno, we'll see.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Not a Beer

Meanwhile, finished the kit I busted out instead because I don't have glue handy:

more

Bonus vs the earlier-model Barbatos my wife just painted and put together:

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Invincible Spinning Skull

Grimgerde is such a great kit.

And wow, yeah, that Ridden is old school. It may have been printed in 1994 but I'm pretty sure it's actually an early 80s-era kit. I am currently building a Guncannon II from that same time period. They're certainly not user-friendly and you pretty much need to do seam-line removal and lots of painting to get anything like a good result.

That said, I'm enjoying the challenge and I'm getting ready to put down my primer layer. I use Mr. Cement Deluxe, which is the plastic-weld type of glue that's been mentioned above. It comes with a nice applicator brush. Also, it sets pretty fast.

And yes it does give off some serious fumes. What I do is put all my parts in plastic ziploc containers after gluing. That at least contains the fumes, but you might need to open the containers outside or at least in front of an open window when you're ready to get back to them.

Also, got a 1/100 Gundam Virtue under the tree. Looking forward to that one.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 AM

I still need to take photos of some past kits, but for now, I'll do my latest build:

Petit'gguy: Stray-Black & Catcos

Didn't get the matching dog'gguy, because I'm a cat-dude. This was a simple, easy kit. There's some slight design improvements over previous petit'gguys with regards to how the runners are designed, but if you've made a petit'gguy before, you generally know what you're getting into here.

Some buddies insisted I stream myself building lately so they could watch, so I obliged and set up a webcam via twitch, which.... was an experience. Not sure if I want to do more of that.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 12-29-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Happy New Years! I really need to take pictures of some of the things I've built, but I've been either building, sorting out the disaster that is my living space, or being too ill lately to do as much. But here's to getting back into the flow of things!

A very kind and generous amigo as part of our small little gunpla xmas exchange bought me this GBF Kirara's Gerbera Tetra.

This is a pricey kit for a high grade on account of being a P-Bandai exclusive. But if you think you can save money by buying the regular HGUC Gerbera Tetra and then painting it, you're in for a rude awakening. Because that kit is actually more expensive on account of scarcity, since Bandai apparently hasn't done a reprint in forever, and had a very low initial print. Plus, this isn't a strict palate swap; there's slightly different parts included for the head/antenna, which you'd otherwise need to scratch-build.

I really like the color scheme and the look of this kit. Plus, Build Fighters was aces. It was a lot of fun, but there was a LOT of little painting that was necessary to make it look screen-accurate. Some was unavoidable (anywhere in the pictures that has solid black, I did with gundam markers) on account of the details being small, but not flat enough for stickers/decals to do the trick. But the yellow parts? All should have come with stickers to do that. It would have been easy to do. Oh well. I'm reasonably satisfied with the end product, though I'm still not happy with how some of the panel lining on the legs ended up. This was also the first time I panel lined with brown. Didn't do it for the whole kit, but I wish I had, because it really contrasts the best against the pink and light pink, and black is a little too strong of a contrast.

Also not pictured: Any of the accessories or the optional booster rocket/fuel tanks on the back. I don't have a spare action base assembled to pose the kit on atm, which would be necessary for the boosters on the back because otherwise the kit would just fall over. Plus I don't really like how it looks anyways.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:43 PM

Looks pretty clean to me! Nice work! Love the pink mobile suits.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Objection!

While I was watching the last day of AGDQ, I went and built another kit.

The S Gundam is one of my favourite Gundams, so I'm really happy to have found this kit. Wish it came with it's own stand like the Ex-S did, but the S Gundam can at least stand on it's own while the Ex-S effectively can't. I mean, it kinda can, but not in a way that matters. It also doesn't have the same kind of connectors that modern kits have to make them compatible with Action Bases, even though I actually have kits from the same era that totally do. So, uh. Beats me!

I'll have to get my Ex-S out of storage and put it up on display, alongside the S Gundam.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:02 AM

Thanks Dracula! @Umbalgo, I've never liked the Iota Gundam or its derivatives (which is weird considering how much I like the ZZ), but that sure looks like it would be a lot of fun to build!

Built another xmas gift: Valvrave Unit-1.

This was a lot of fun but slightly tedious. It's essentially a HG, but it's bigger/more complicated than your average HG (It's 1/144 scale and size is basically between a typical HG and MG) and basically has an inner frame. A LOT of stickers though, that were a pain in the butt. It would have been nice to have options for water slides for a few of these, but largely I think things turned out pretty good all things considered. The accessories are pretty underwhelming however. Most of them are clear plastic for some reason, so they look really weird and not at all like what's advertised on the box. All in all, pretty good. I'll definitely look into getting Unit 3-6 eventually.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Objection!

Yeah, it was actually really cool. A lot of mobile parts and empty space, since it's meant to not just be a Core Block Gundam (IE, it's two halves that come together around a Core Fighter), but each block is also their own Core Fighter. S Gundam, like ZZ, is the Getter Robo of Gundams.

It also comes with parts to make two separate Core Fighters, as well. One that's a little more mobile and pose-able than the other.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Not a Beer

Valverave was such a mess of a show, but it did have some cool (if perhaps overly busy) mecha designs. I've only ever seen one on a shelf, though, and it wasn't one of my faves, so I passed.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:27 PM

I really liked Valvrave. Like, it's objectively stupid, but managed to be so in a way that was supremely entertaining, but never stepped into Cross Ange levels of being offensive. It was like watching Jersey Shore: The Anime. The entertainment value on schadenfreude alone was really high. And the mechs ruled. Speaking of mecha shows that nobody liked but me, I made my first Kotobukiya kit: Captain Earth's Earth Engine Impactor

This kit was a mixed bag. First off it was pretty expensive for what amounts to a glorified HG. I got the thing on sale on Amazon, but even then it was pretty pricey (the price has since doubled on Amazon for some reason that I can't really explain). It also came with zero stickers/decals, so all the lacking details and color separation needed to be hand painted. Not a huge deal for some of the stuff, but the red stripes on the wrists could have been a cheap and easy decal and saved me a lot of pain messing with paints/gundam markers. All the red and some of the white accents on the face were painted as well.

The finished product looks pretty good for the most part. The engineering of the kit is kind of a mixed bag though. Some parts fit real nice and snug. Others are flimsy and inadequate. Like the polycaps in the shoulders ended up being too loose, to the point where arms just limply sagged and couldn't maintain a posture (a fixable problem, but annoying nonetheless). And the seam lines on the shins and shoulders are really bad. But all in all, it was mostly fun to make, and the Earth Engine is dope AF. It comes with some accessories and a core unit that I haven't assembled yet that I'll do later. All in all, thumbs up. It's too bad Captain Earth bombed, because getting a Nebula Engine and a Flare Engine would have been the bees knees.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:18 AM

Almost done with this old-ass Guncannon II kit:

I've had this one in a state of half-completion since probably October. As a gunpla from the 80s, it was molded in one color and required glue to assemble. But I love the design of the Guncannon II, so it was super rewarding to finally have the figure assembled.

I assembled as many parts as I could before painting, and used plastic cement and a little bit of putty for seam line removal (this was mostly successful). I used the "C-cut" method in the joints so I could paint the thighs, calves, and feet before assembling the legs.

One of the antennae broke during building, so I cut the other one down to match the size.

Primed with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer. I hand-painted details such as the vents, visor, etc., then masked over them and used a mixture of Mr. Color paints for the base coats. The shoulder guns were painted with Tamiya XF-18 medium blue. I used a silver sharpie or Testors steel for some of the small silver details.

The C-cuts weakened the joints in the legs, so they're floppy, but he stands up just fine. I wasn't expecting to get a lot of poses out of an old kit, so this is OK.

All that's left to do is apply a matte top coat and probably do some mild weathering like the package photos show. I'll likely do a full photo shoot after that.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Not a Beer

Nice. I like the texture of the black parts. Someday I'll get around to picking up some plastic cement or something and break back out the couple old kits I have for another go. (Not getting much building at all done right now mostly due to FFXV eating my evening time.)

The Earth Engine above also looks fun, mostly for its wanton mixture of Gundam, Eva, and old Super Robot inspirations.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, Captain Earth was weird but fun. Still kind of amused that the only mid-season (well, near finale) upgrade was the MC's girlfriend going from mech to insanely-powerful battleship.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Dracula, that Gun Cannon is HOT FIRE 🔥 I'm really impressed with your painting. It's dope AF and I'm a bit jealous.

I'm beginning to work on my GBF Gyan project. And holy cow, the old HGUC Gyan is actually SOBAD compared last year's Gyan Revive. I've never been so frustrated with my lack of modding skill or inability to paint as I am now. Making a Gyan Gya Gyan and a Gyan Vulcan would look so much better and be so much more satisfying if I weren't deficient in those areas.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Dracula, that Gun Cannon is HOT FIRE 🔥 I'm really impressed with your painting. It's dope AF and I'm a bit jealous.

I'm beginning to work on my GBF Gyan project. And holy cow, the old HGUC Gyan is actually SOBAD compared last year's Gyan Revive. I've never been so frustrated with my lack of modding skill or inability to paint as I am now. Making a Gyan Gya Gyan and a Gyan Vulcan would look so much better and be so much more satisfying if I weren't deficient in those areas.
Why thanks! I did end up taking some more pics of it:

To your comment re: skills, what types of paint and/or modeling techniques have you tried?

(Note on those photos: That HGUC Guncannon on the last pic was the first gunpla I ever successfully painted, probably in 2000 or 2001. I bet I was still using fingernail clippers to cut parts off the sprues back then, hence the nub marks visible through the paint.)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:48 PM

I've given up on hand paints, because I'm too much of a perfectionist and get upset with the results. Same with spray cans. I'd take to airbrushing, but I can't afford the equipment. Painting would make building a Gyan Gya Gyan, or the Tateo-color Gyan easy. As for modding, I just lack a lot of the equipment and manual dexterity to do what's necessary here. If you're building a Gyan Vulcan, you need to match the Valuable Pod with the old HGUC Gyan, since the shoulder pieces were designed with that and incompatible with the Gyan Revive. You could get them to fit maybe with some intensive modding, but I don't have the ability or the equipment to do so.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Hand painting is exceedingly hard to get to look nice on a gunpla kit, in my experience. I never use it for large areas if I can avoid it. What has been your problem with spray cans? What I used to do was find a color similar to the plastic and spray the entire sprue. It give you a better result than you'd expect, and it's very easy.

Just using a top coat like Testors Dull Cote or Mr. Super Clear really helps too.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Lucky In Love

I spent too much money on a robot, model. It's not Gunpla, but I thought some of your might it enjoy it nonetheless. I'm planning on entering it into a painting contest at a con in August. I'm planning on doing a blue/white dazzle camo pattern with a mosaic of interference colors covering part of it. This is a kickass kit.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Objection!

I wish Warhammer stuff was less expensive. I like some of their kits and designs, but GW charges so much for the privilege.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Lucky In Love

The quality is definitely there at least. Great detail, perfect fit, and they're solid as a rock since they're built to withstand use as a game piece. I'd say the plastic is about 3x -5x the thickness of gunpla or other types of model kits.

But yeah, I was waffling on this for ages since I wanted to buy it from my FLGS for only just under retail price. It was the painting competition that pushed me over the edge but I figured it was just a matter of time considering how many times I was checking it out.

Edit: I've also bought a couple Forgeworld models which makes regular GW stuff seem perfectly reasonable, haha.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Not a Beer

Nice. Good luck with the fancy painting!

Also that is one helluva micro-missile load-out.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Lucky In Love

Yeah, painting those missile pods was a big draw to this kit. There's another slightly smaller and more humanoid kit called the Riptide which wasn't as exciting to me.

Oy, I spent a couple hours just clipping out every piece I need and putting them in bags corresponding to the various body parts. I've never done a model with this many parts before. It's going to be a long haul. If I can get it built next weekend though the weather will be warm enough to prime it at least. I'll post a picture of the dry-fit when I can.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 AM

Big post for a big update. I've been building GYANS. Lots of Gyans. Too many Gyans, really. I'm actually kinda sick of Gyans! But it's worth it, because Gyans are the best. So I set about to make every HG Gyan variant there is. Because Gyans are so swell. And here they all are:

Gyan Vulcan (HGUC Gyan & HGBF Valuable Pod)

The Gyan Vulcan is the upgraded custom Gyan that the adorable shithead Susumu Sazaki makes and pilots in Build Fighters. Part of having a softspot for Gyans is because this guy. He's so adorably smug! And he's also my namesake. But anyways, to make this, you get your HGUC Gyan, and a HGBF Valuable Pod. Why didn't I just start this post with a normal Gyan? Well, because there's actually TWO HGUC Gyans - the original one which is pictured above, and a Gyan Revive. The original HGUC Gyan was actually the 2nd ever HGUC kit, made in like 1998 or 99. It's really freaking old and simple. And actually quite ugly! It lacks a lot of detail, color separation, articulation, and general niceness of modern kits. So, why did I even build it if there's a Gyan Revive? Welllll... The Gyan Revive came out last year, which was a few years before the Valuable Pod mod came out. And the Valuable Pod is designed in such a way that you can't actually connect all of it to a Gyan Revive. So unless you're good at modding (I'm not) parts, the new shoulder pieces won't actually fit.

The old HGUC Gyan is actually probably not the worst for a kit so old, but it leaves a lot to be desired. The colors used for the plastic, for one, is pretty bad. The blue is less blue and more purple. I needed to paint the circles on the shields to get them the color they needed to be. The waist is really loose and fiddly. The seam lines are giant, obvious, and don't even meet flesh with each other. The "panel lines" are not conducive for using either gundam markers or doing a panel wash. You could get the kit to look really good so long as you did a lot of work. This is the best I can do for now. The valuable pod goes a long way to making the old Gyan look good though. It replaces the backpack, the hands, the shoulders, head, and shields. I didn't make a vanilla HGUC Gyan; the Gyan Revive is the only vanilla Gyan I ended up with. Some additional pics:

HGBF Gyan Gya Gyan (Gunpla Expo Exclusive)

The Gyan Gya Gyan is the model that Sazaki makes and shows off for like, 5 seconds during the final episode of Build Fighters. In the show and as an IRL model, it's just a palate swap of the regular Gyan, with dual shields. The kit gives you everything from the original HGBF Gyan, and a Valuable Pod, with a different color scheme. Since you don't use the Valuable Pod's shoulders, backpack, or head piece, it's basically only there for the updated hands and dual shields. If I had a painting setup, all I really needed to do was to buy another set of the kit above, and just paint it. However, I don't have an airbrush setup, and getting a hold of this Gunpla Expo exclusive variant kit wasn't too difficult. It was however, the most upsetting and aggravating build I've done for a while. Not only does the kit have all the above-mentioned annoyances of being really old. But the biggest problem is the colors and plastic used. Bandai molded everything in their pearlescent colored plastic, which I friggin hate. It's a much tougher, more brittle plastic that's much tougher to cut off the runners, is much more prone to creating stress marks, and is a nightmare to either shave or sand down the nubs while keeping the color/sheen looking good and not marked up. So many really bad, obvious nub marks here. And the color/coating doesn't even inherently look good. You can see all kinds of color banding in the plastic where the plastic flowed into the molds and hardened. The end product was not satisfying at all. I've never wished I airbrushed more than while building this kit, or had as much buyer's remorse.

HGUC Gyan Revive

This kit is actually a delight. Easily the most satisfying build I did of all the Gyans. Every part of it is expertly designed and crafted. There's so much detail, very panel-lining friendly details, very few color separation problems, and so much wonderful articulation. The specially designed wrists in particular, allow for the Gyan to hold sabers parallel with their forearms so you can get it to go into some really exquisite poses not possible with the vast majority of model kits. Everything about it is amazing, I highly recommend it.

HGBF R-Gyagya

In Build Fighter's Try, Susumu Sazaki's little sister, Kaoruko Sazaki (aka "Gyanko" on account of how crazy she is for Gyans) makes this custom suit. It's not actually a Gyan! Rather, it's a variant of the R-Jarja, which is a suit Chara Soon from ZZ Gundam pilots. The R-Jarja is, according to lore, from the developmental line based on the Gyan, so it's in the Gyan-family of suits, plus Gyanko affectionately gives it Gyan shields since she loves Gyans (which is part of her brother-complex, because Anime™). It's actually a really rad suit. Especially since, to my knowledge, Bandai never made an HG R-Jarja, so it's an original kit and not what a lot of BF kits end up being, which is just slight mods of older kits.

The R-Gyagya itself is very swank. I love the color scheme, though that's probably just me. It comes with a lot of particle effects, cool beam sabers of multiple kinds, and the shields on the shoulders can either detach or swivel about. My biggest complaints are that 1) the suit is a little heavy/flimsy, and it doesn't stand very well under its own weight (necessitating me putting in on an Action Base) and 2) It takes quite a bit of stickers and paint touchups to get it looking good. Pretty much all the black on the suit, I painted on. The kit provides stickers for a lot of that black, but not all of it, and the stickers themselves aren't the greatest. The yellow thrusters all along the legs had to be painted. The back thrusters I gave up on painting just because of how unwieldy they're designed and how the paint I was using didn't seem to want to stick. I'm pretty happy with the results, but it's not perfect.

HGBF Gyancelot

This is easily my favorite and most frustrating kit. The Gyancelot, design wise, is hot SEX. Easily the coolest Gyan variant. Hell, easily the coolest anything-variant to come out of Build Fighters. The Gyancelot itself is based on the Gyan Revive too, so it's just as pleasurable to put together and pose. My problem is the gold trim. It comes with stickers, but the foil stickers are really obnoxious, as foil stickers are want to do. They look really cheap and crummy, especially when they fold over edges to form fit, or have bumpy textures underneath that warp the stickers, or when you press down too hard or with your nail and they rip. So... I tested painting the gold trim instead with a gold gundam marker. And while most people will say it looks fine, being an obnoxious perfectionist, all I see are my flaws and mistakes. I redid the trim on some parts several times, and just couldn't get it perfect. Hand painting with a brush is difficult, especially with this specific gundam marker - the paint is too thick. I spend a little bit of time thining the paint out, which helped a little, but still didn't give me the results I wanted. What you see is my last attempt before throwing up my hands and deciding I wasn't going to deal with this kit anymore. If you're good at painting, or especially if you have access to an airbrush and can do a better job w/ better paint and masking, then this kit will look even better. But for me, I always look at it and get frustrated with myself and hand painting.

So that's everything. Well, almost everything. At the very end of GBF Try, Susumu & Gyanko's little brother shows up with his own Gyan, which is just a regular Gyan but with a dope silver and red color palate. I'd love to make that some day, but I'll wait off until I can save up for a compressor and airbrush set. And when that day comes, I'll probably revisit a few of these kits and repaint them too. But until then, here's my Gyan family all assembled:

I still need to take some pics of other things I've already built, but next on the building docket is the MG FA Unicorn, which is going to be an intimidating build to say the least.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 AM

GYAN PARTY!!! Awesome. I agree on the Gyan Gya Gyan's pearly plastic. Truly awful. The Hyaku Shiki Revive is the same way, and I plan to paint over that mess. Ugh.

But wait: What about MG Gyan?

Last edited by Dracula; 02-17-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: ONCE THE BIG ZAM IS MASS-PRODUCED...
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Not a Beer

That is indeed a crapload of Gyan, very nice! The Gyancelot is pretty swank.

Shame about the Gya Gyan... I liked the pearlescent plastic in my Crossbone okay, but since it was in a very light color (barely-lavender-ish white) I suspect it didn't show stress marks nearly as badly as any of the darker colors of the same material would.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack