The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 12-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Important note:

Rubber cement is a distinctly different from plastic cement. Rubber cement is a lot like super glue in use and form: it's a binding agent. You can totally make models with it, but I personally advice against it since it can be messy, and you can accidentally glue the wrong things, and you don't want it on your fingers/clothes, and you can have issues with a fog that forms surrounding the glued parts.

Plastic cement is what you want - it's a solvent that temporarily melts the plastic at the molecular level, allowing the plastic of two pieces to mix and become one. Once it evaporates (you'll want it to set for a few hours) it hardens back up and binds two pieces of plastic together permanently. This is the stuff I use:

The orange bottle on the left is what you probably want to be using for firmly bonding parts together for your old Zaku, Kirin. The stuff on the right is a thinner, more dilute version that doesn't bond things as hard. It's good for touch up work after the fact. I use it every now and on loose pegs as well to keep a model firmly together. You can use other brands, in my experience though the stuff that comes in tubes are so powerful that you risk turning your models into molten lumps and these liquid versions are better. Also, the fumes on these are, while technically not hazardous to your health, smell very noxious/strong and it's probably best to be on the safe side and do this kinda work somewhere with some open ventilation. Here's a little tutorial video to show you what you're doing and give you some confidence if it sounds daunting (because it's pretty easy stuff):

Giant box just arrived in the mail. I have a problem, and its name is Gunpla:

Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Lucky In Love

Huh, I didn't know rubber cement was different. I've used generic rubber cement in a tube from the hardware store on models and it behaves the same as tubes labelled as model glue. It is powerful, but it works fine on tabletop models where the plastic is much thicker. I could see how it would get out of control on Gunpla.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Plastic cement is what you want - it's a solvent that temporarily melts the plastic at the molecular level, allowing the plastic of two pieces to mix and become one. Once it evaporates (you'll want it to set for a few hours) it hardens back up and binds two pieces of plastic together permanently. This is the stuff I use:
Okay so... you need to let it harden for a few hours before you sand it or anything, but presumably it sticks well enough that you can continue binding on more pieces? Because almost everything in that kit is going to need it, and waiting a few hours between almost every step would sure be a drag.

The plastic cement does sound the best results-wise, but I'm also a bit concerned about the fumes, as I've been building kits in my living room. Rubber cement seems like a serious PITA for small pieces though with how goopy it is. I may be tempted to just go back to superglue, which the video guy talks about using sometimes just to hold pieces together. I dunno, we'll see.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Not a Beer

Meanwhile, finished the kit I busted out instead because I don't have glue handy:

more

Bonus vs the earlier-model Barbatos my wife just painted and put together:

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Invincible Spinning Skull

Grimgerde is such a great kit.

And wow, yeah, that Ridden is old school. It may have been printed in 1994 but I'm pretty sure it's actually an early 80s-era kit. I am currently building a Guncannon II from that same time period. They're certainly not user-friendly and you pretty much need to do seam-line removal and lots of painting to get anything like a good result.

That said, I'm enjoying the challenge and I'm getting ready to put down my primer layer. I use Mr. Cement Deluxe, which is the plastic-weld type of glue that's been mentioned above. It comes with a nice applicator brush. Also, it sets pretty fast.

And yes it does give off some serious fumes. What I do is put all my parts in plastic ziploc containers after gluing. That at least contains the fumes, but you might need to open the containers outside or at least in front of an open window when you're ready to get back to them.

Also, got a 1/100 Gundam Virtue under the tree. Looking forward to that one.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 AM

I still need to take photos of some past kits, but for now, I'll do my latest build:

Petit'gguy: Stray-Black & Catcos

Didn't get the matching dog'gguy, because I'm a cat-dude. This was a simple, easy kit. There's some slight design improvements over previous petit'gguys with regards to how the runners are designed, but if you've made a petit'gguy before, you generally know what you're getting into here.

Some buddies insisted I stream myself building lately so they could watch, so I obliged and set up a webcam via twitch, which.... was an experience. Not sure if I want to do more of that.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 12-29-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Happy New Years! I really need to take pictures of some of the things I've built, but I've been either building, sorting out the disaster that is my living space, or being too ill lately to do as much. But here's to getting back into the flow of things!

A very kind and generous amigo as part of our small little gunpla xmas exchange bought me this GBF Kirara's Gerbera Tetra.

This is a pricey kit for a high grade on account of being a P-Bandai exclusive. But if you think you can save money by buying the regular HGUC Gerbera Tetra and then painting it, you're in for a rude awakening. Because that kit is actually more expensive on account of scarcity, since Bandai apparently hasn't done a reprint in forever, and had a very low initial print. Plus, this isn't a strict palate swap; there's slightly different parts included for the head/antenna, which you'd otherwise need to scratch-build.

I really like the color scheme and the look of this kit. Plus, Build Fighters was aces. It was a lot of fun, but there was a LOT of little painting that was necessary to make it look screen-accurate. Some was unavoidable (anywhere in the pictures that has solid black, I did with gundam markers) on account of the details being small, but not flat enough for stickers/decals to do the trick. But the yellow parts? All should have come with stickers to do that. It would have been easy to do. Oh well. I'm reasonably satisfied with the end product, though I'm still not happy with how some of the panel lining on the legs ended up. This was also the first time I panel lined with brown. Didn't do it for the whole kit, but I wish I had, because it really contrasts the best against the pink and light pink, and black is a little too strong of a contrast.

Also not pictured: Any of the accessories or the optional booster rocket/fuel tanks on the back. I don't have a spare action base assembled to pose the kit on atm, which would be necessary for the boosters on the back because otherwise the kit would just fall over. Plus I don't really like how it looks anyways.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Invincible Spinning Skull

Looks pretty clean to me! Nice work! Love the pink mobile suits.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Objection!

While I was watching the last day of AGDQ, I went and built another kit.

The S Gundam is one of my favourite Gundams, so I'm really happy to have found this kit. Wish it came with it's own stand like the Ex-S did, but the S Gundam can at least stand on it's own while the Ex-S effectively can't. I mean, it kinda can, but not in a way that matters. It also doesn't have the same kind of connectors that modern kits have to make them compatible with Action Bases, even though I actually have kits from the same era that totally do. So, uh. Beats me!

I'll have to get my Ex-S out of storage and put it up on display, alongside the S Gundam.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack