The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Not a Beer

Default "It's only a model...."

So, I have no idea if there's enough interest to sustain a thread on making or assembling models, but what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

I recently finished putting together a 200-odd piece High Grade model of the Gundam Unicorn (from the new UC series) in Destroy Mode, which means it's all shiny and shit. Came out looking pretty nice.

A cool thing about this kit is since it's a modern kit and pretty much all white and translucent red, it looks fine without any paint, which is more than you can say for most Gundam models.

Because this was the first time I'd gotten around to putting together a kit in... uh, a few years, I did a warm-up in the form of a much smaller kit for an old series (it's a Jenice Custom from Gundam X) that I got for free. Since it's an old kit molded mostly from flat green (including a lot of bits that are supposed to be other colors) it looks like crap without paint, so I busted out the paint-markers and did a bit of outlining and filling. Kind of half-assed it since I didn't really care about it, but it looks a lot better. (Sadly didn't get a "before" pic.)

Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Jump and shoot?

I finally decided to try one of these for the first time at the last anime convention I went to, and it's pretty fun. I've only seen the original Gundam series and I don't have much attachment to most of the characters/robots, but I do like Char from both that and the fighting game so I picked up a model of his red Zaku.

It's the Bandai one with the internal skeleton, which according to someone who knows about these is the best one I could have picked for that character, and I believe it. The articulation is just amazing. I'm not a craft person so I'd never try to paint it or anything, but it doesn't look like I'd need to anyway.

I also picked these up a few days ago since Mega Man is just about my favorite thing ever and the only figures I had were a smaller set that came out recently.

I'm not too happy with the way some of their joints are designed and there's a few random things that require paint for no good reason, but they look fine anyway.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, as far as painting goes, *modern* high-grade and up kits are usually modeled in enough (and accurate enough) colors that you don't *need* to paint them to have them look good. (You might be able to make some *better*, and of course you can customize with weathering and stuff, but that's only if you're really good and/or dedicated.)

Older/cheap-o kits, by contrast, will look exactly like the cheap plastic crap they are without paint, but can often be salvaged into something quite acceptable with it. This is the main reason why I have a lot of older kits sitting in my closet, because dragging out (or buying) and applying paint is such a bigger investment of effort...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Bluh Bluh

Love the Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 going on in the background of the first pic. That actually introduced me to the Unicorn in motion. Before I saw it, I wasn't a fan of all the pink in Destroy mode, but after seeing it in action, I think it looks pretty sweet. That's a nice looking model too, I'll have to see about finding it somewhere.

I also actually put together my first Gundam recently! Specifically the RX-78-2 and Char's Zaku II, both Real Grade. They're fairly impressive, and I took an exhaustive number of photos of the process of putting it all together. I was considering running it as a blog post at my new place, but I'll make sure to throw in some pictures here now that I'm done with them.

Out of curiosity, how do you get the tiny stickers on properly? They're entirely too small for me to really put on with my hands, at least at 1/144 scale.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Love the Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 going on in the background of the first pic. That actually introduced me to the Unicorn in motion.
Hah, well spotted. Actually, one of my impetuses for putting these kits together was having something to do while my wife commandeered my PS3 for months due to that game. I'm pretty sure she's over 75 hours on it already, and hasn't even unlocked all the history missions.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you get the tiny stickers on properly? They're entirely too small for me to really put on with my hands, at least at 1/144 scale.
Yeah, those get tricky. On my second Unicorn photo you can see some tiny ones on the eyes and forehead, and there's an even smaller one in the gun-sight facing the camera. For getting them into position, I don't have a lot of tips other than hope and prayer, and be careful not to apply pressure until you've got it in the spot you like. Having slightly-long fingernails helps, or you might be able to use tweezers if you're very careful. Once it's in position, use something narrow to press it down hard so it won't move again - I actually used some bits broken off the leftover plastic frame pieces since they were handy.

Now what's *really* finicky are the old-style "float off the sheet in water" decals; the Gundam X kit came with some of those that I haven't been brave enough to mess with yet. I doubt they still use them in any modern kits, though.

And by all means, post us some RX-78 and Zaku pics!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Jump and shoot?

I somehow managed to get the eye on Char's Zaku attached without incident, but I terrified to attempt any of the other stickers yet. Again, I'm not that much of a Gundam fan, so to me it looks just fine without them. I'll probably just leave them off for now unless one of the people I know who's familiar with these things nerds out over it and offers to do it himself. I also haven't finished the weapons yet; he's just sitting in the box with his accessories until I figure out where I'm going to put him.

I'm kind of torn over these in general since on the one hand, this is the most impressively articulated figure I own and was a lot of fun to put together, but on the other I have zero interest or experience in painting things or messing with decals, so I'd hate to put a bunch of money into a larger one only to find that it looks like crap unless I do so. Honestly though, the only other mechs from Gundam that I'd like to have are the Hygog and the Ball (from playing Battle Assault), and I don't even know if there are models for those. I'm sure there are plenty of model kits for other things too, but I haven't seen any for things I like aside from the Mega Man ones.

Also, while not strictly a model kit, there's a D-Arts Mega Man X figure released recently that's just amazing. He's fully assembled, but comes with multiple faces, hands, and shots. I'll post some pictures of him and the others if you're interested.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Lucky In Love

I have a Hygog. It's pretty sweet. Almost makes me want to go dig it out of the box it's in somewhere. At least I hope it didn't get lost in the move...
Old 07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

My crowning joy is probably a Master Grade Hyaku-Shiki, that's laying around my parents' house most likely, that my wife put together. Have a couple Heavyarms from Wing, a couple of High Grade models from 8th Team, and a Gundam X Divider that's seen better days (didn't help that was around the time where the model quality was pretty mediocre), and an HG Hyaku Shiki as well.

I like putting 'em together but I'm not particularly good at it, both slow and careless. My wife's currently working on a Master Grade Wing Zero Custom, since she likes putting together models more than I do (she did the MG Hyaku-Shiki actually). This thread's making me want to hit up the local comic shop, since for a while at least, they've had models on sale.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Bluh Bluh

Right, so, these were my first two models, but I like that they turned out as well as they did. Because of picture size, and my not having any of my photo editing software available for the time being, I'll just do these one at a time. First up, the absolute first model I put together, the RX-78-2 Gundam Real Grade.

I actually picked it up on a whim at Disney World, believe it or not. The Japan store there has an amazing selection. Problem one with this set, however, were the instructions. Namely that they were in Japanese. Now, for 90% of the kit, this wasn't a huge problem. After all, they use pictograms like Ikea does, so all I had to do was orient the piece like how it was shown in the instruction and then attach. Easy peasy.

That said, there are certain parts where I'm sure I'm missing something. Namely, the shoulders and arms. It's crazy easy to knock the arms off the model, and the shoulder pads themselves are made up of pieces that are very loosely held together. If it didn't just look wrong, I'd completely remove the blasted things and call it good. Another problem with the kit lies in the waist armor. The bits with the yellow squares are held in by a small ball socket, which allows for a great range of motion. However, I'm not sure that that's ideal on a 1/144 scale, because it's pretty easy to knock them out completely (Char's Zaku shares the same problem, and I've actually got more grievances with that model).

Additionally, while the model has a huge range of motion theoretically, to really achieve that one should exercise each of the joints a lot, get the arms and legs used to moving. I was not aware of this, and I just put it together immediately. This has led to the Gundam being incredibly stiff, and I'm afraid to move it in case I knock certain, very tiny pieces, off.

That said, I'm actually really impressed with the coloring. I've heard horror stories about plastics looking off, but pretty much everything here was good, and put together it looks really accurate to the anime. I think the decals would add a lot, but after getting one on (See if you can find it!), I decided that was more pain than I really wanted to deal with. Honestly, most of the decals were just for the magnetic joints that were added later in the series anyway, so I'm perfectly ok without.

The extras are sweet as well. There are four beam saber handles, two of which can be wielded by the articulated hands and two of which are meant to be stored either in the shield or in the backpack, a beam rifle complete with moveable scope, the Gundam bazooka (which I never really liked before putting together the model), the requisite shield, and the Core Fighter. Fun fact about the Core Fighter: You actually could use this as the center bit of the model. You would, however, lose some of the flexibility.

Honestly, it's all pretty sweet. I ran into some problems with certain parts, in that they were really tiny and difficult to work with with my fat fingers, but everything's more or less put together as it was meant to be, and I managed to find a pretty sweet pose for Gundam to take whilst it sits on my desk. I really enjoyed putting it together, and I think I'm going to be looking for more in the future. Maybe the Nu (or Hi-Nu) and Sazabi (or Nightingale).

Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Not a Beer

Very nice, Rai. The rest of you lot need to get with the picture posting!

(Okay, I realize it might be a while if you don't have quick access to your models right now...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Knuckle View Post
...and I don't even know if there are models for those.
Hahaha, this is Gundam we're talking about. Now don't get me wrong, I love many of the shows, but the reason they get made in the first place is to sell plastic. Everything has a model. Usually several models. The only question is whether or not anyone has helpfully imported some to the US for you already.

Used to be you could just head to some dark back corner of a big-box toy or hobby store and find shelves full of random obscure models, but alas, those days are mostly over as retailers have moved to cut costs by slashing inventory. Most anime cons will have several vendors with good selections, though, and of course you can find stuff online.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 AM
crazy sniffable

When I first saw this thread, I was like "sweet! I can post photos of all these models we have!" then I realized we've never finished any.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Safe Space

What's a good inexpensive way to display models and keep them from getting dusty?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Not a Beer

I guess the traditional thing for that is cubical glass cases, or a glass-front display cabinet. Or you could just dust them (carefully) every few years... most of mine are just sitting on bookshelves.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Jump and shoot?

Quote:
Char's Zaku shares the same problem, and I've actually got more grievances with that model.
The main problems I had with it are that the armor flaps around the hips fall off easily, and the mouthpiece thing isn't held in by anything substantial. I'm also terrified that the hose-like bits are going to pop off sometime (though they seem to fit tightly enough), scattering plastic beads everywhere. All of that is going to require superglue, which I don't have at the moment. I didn't notice any problems with the movable joints though.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

My Kotobukiya Megaman figures arrived this afternoon. Spent the last couple of hours building them and they're amazing. Warning: giant-ass pictures ahead:

Megaman

Roll (Had a third pic of Roll too. Came out too blurry.)

Tag Team

Bonus: ZOMBIES

I really want to get Protoman now.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid Coffee View Post
My Kotobukiya Megaman figures arrived this afternoon. Spent the last couple of hours building them and they're amazing. Warning: giant-ass pictures ahead:

LOTS OF PICS

I really want to get Protoman now.
Nice. They look like they need a little clean up though. You need to trim that flash off. Razor blade works great.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Not a Beer

Those megaman figures are sweet.

Quote:
I'm also terrified that the hose-like bits are going to pop off sometime (though they seem to fit tightly enough), scattering plastic beads everywhere. All of that is going to require superglue, which I don't have at the moment. I didn't notice any problems with the movable joints though.
Superglue is a handy thing to have for models - I actually had to use it twice on the Unicorn Gundam, although both times were my fault. One was where I failed to notice the Japanese instructions telling me "join these pieces FIRST before adding this piece SECOND, dumbass!", resulting in a skinny piece snapping off of a connector post. A bit finicky, but superglue fixed it. The other one was simply torquing a piece the wrong way while removing it from the frame and having it snap along a seam. That problem could've been avoided just by being more careful, or using an xacto or razor to free the pieces like falselogic was suggesting above. Glue to the rescue again.

(Unfortunately, shortly after I finished one of my cats found the superglue on the counter over night and bit right through the tube *and* the plastic package I'd put it back in. No damage to the cat, fortunately, but the rest of the glue is all solidified. Time for a hardware store trip.)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
The other one was simply torquing a piece the wrong way while removing it from the frame and having it snap along a seam. That problem could've been avoided just by being more careful, or using an xacto or razor to free the pieces like falselogic was suggesting above. Glue to the rescue again.
Yeah anybody here making models, dig out or purchase:

wire cutters/clippers - to get your bits off the sprue
x-acto - to shave off flashing
Rubber cement - fuses the plastic pieces into one instead of merely gluing them, doesn't leave having while it dries

there's a lot of other useful stuff out there, but this is the minimum you should have on hand when you do a model. No more just twisting things off and snapping them together, your fingers will thank you!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Jump and shoot?

Simple nail clippers are fantastic for separating the parts.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Simple nail clippers are fantastic for separating the parts.
Assuming you never want to use those clippers for their intended purpose again.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Full set get:

Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 AM
I. Love. It.

I've always wanted to get that Mega Man model, but I'm iffy about ordering from stores I don't usually buy from online. But then I saw it on Amazon.ca, from a seller of course. Does that look like the same model? Would it be worth my monies?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

I got all of mine from the Capcom store. They're about $30 each.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Not a Beer

I was just skimming back up the thread, and realized that the the Real Grade Char Custom Zaku I recently picked up at a con is the exact one GlassKnuckle and Rai were complaining about above. Heh, well, I'll have to report back on how it goes after I find some time to build the thing.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 PM
New Games Member

You know, I've been wanting to build a Gundam or similar model for ages now. I haven't seen the things sold in stores since about the time Gundam Wing was on air.

Anyone have any recommendations for easy to moderate model to scratch that itch? Also, where do you guys usually get these things
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Bluh Bluh

I think, as far as places to get the things go, I'm going to stick with Gundam Planet. They've got a huge variety from every series/spin off, amongst other shows and genres of toys.

As for where to start, that's a bit tricky. I started with the RG Gundam I posted about above, and while it wasn't tremendously difficult, it wasn't exactly for beginners. The High Grade Alex I just recently built wasn't too bad, and I'm having a load of fun putting together Master Grade Unicorn. So if you want to jump all in, either of those grades are pretty good places to start. If you just want to test the proverbial waters, pick up an SD kit. They look fairly cool, and you can pick most up for like $10 plus shipping. Not a bad deal, that.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Safe Space

Hmmm, I should really work on this G-taste Model...
Old 02-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Spear of Justice

Threadsurrection!

Has anyone messed around with Metal Earth kits? They're small 3D models that you pop out of flat metal sheets and assemble with tweezers or pliers, and there's quite a few licensed sets to boot.

I picked up a TIE fighter on clearance at GameStop for about $6. Looking at all these tiny pieces, I now realize I'm going to need some precision tools before I start building. So, uh, any advice or tips about which tools to use would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Not a Beer

I've never had any of those, but a friend on twitter has built several including an X-Wing, and they look really cool!

(Seeing this old thread of mine resurrected makes me want to break out my stack of un-built models... argh, too many projects.)
Old 02-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Breath of Fur

This thread is going to be like porn for me, I just know it.

Anyone else tried out the Real Grade kits? I built the Zeta (twice because one broke a hip and it was unreparable) and it was pretty damned nice. I like smaller scale kits and the addition of the internal skeleton makes it feel so much more solid and substantial I'd love to try more out in the line at some point. Been eyeing the Strike and Sky Grasper, but wound up ordering an LBX kit (Odin) with my Christmas money because I was really digging the game.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack