The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Answers come in dreams

Default Talk about fast food

And where you've eaten lately.

Five Guys is one of the most tastey burgers and fries I've ever had.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Space dad

I kind of hate McDonald's, but every time I have an opportunity (i.e., wife is sick at home and I didn't bring a lunch to work) I eat there. It is like a sickness.

I really miss Del Taco; there aren't any here.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy Hits View Post
The burgers are secondary to those amazing cajun fries. Shits kind of expensive for fast food, though.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Your life is forfeit

I had In 'N Out Burger, like... a month ago? And Chic-Fil-A over Christmas. I rarely eat at chains, which is partially due to health concerns and partially because the only chains I can stand (Chic-Fil-A, Sonic, Arby's) don't have outlets in San Francisco.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Gesundheit!

I had In-N-Out last week and have Jack in the Box way more regularly than I should (it's one of the most convenient places open during my Saturday shift). I'd call the latter a guilty pleasure, but fuck it, it's delicious.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Space dad

Oh, right! I had In-N-Out a week or so ago, too. It had been quite a while, and was good stuff. I'm always a bit taken aback at how spare the menu is.

My wife and I also eat often at Evos in San Luis Obispo, which is a relatively healthy and environment-friendly fast food chain with just a few locations, mostly in Florida. SLO's is the only one in California.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
King Of Space-Time

McD's is making some nice oatmeal these days. Also I do love Chick-Fil-A's Spicy sandwich.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Is there not one thing

Chick Fil A did the antigay thing, now it's off the menu at House Vigour.

And fuck me but sometimes I cannot fight the hunger for Arby's.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 PM
We just don't know.

I do like me some Arby's. I even miss it sometimes! But we have McDonald's here and while I'd never willingly set foot in one in America (gross), the ones in Japan are way better. Just the quality and taste. And they have these limited-time campaign special sandwiches that are pretty great too!

What about non-Big Chain fast food? The best part of living in Los Angeles was definitely the burrito stands (well mainly the one) we always went to. A-mazing.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
That's what happens when its a hardcore Christian restaurant. Closed on Sundays? Check. Crappy Christian music sounding from the PA system? Check.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I. Love. It.

I live in middle-of-nowhere Newfoundland and there's exactly one franchise out here: Mary Brown's Fried Chicken.

It's an Eastern Canada restaurant chain, mostly, I think I saw like one when I lived in Ontario. Most of you have probably never even heard of it, except OctoPrime. If he somehow avoided it all his life then I'd be shocked. Shocked and appalled.

Anyway, imagine KFC's chicken, but somehow greasier. Pretty much nothing on their menu is even remotely healthy. Even their wraps are about 50% mayo/salad dressing. Their taters/potato wedges are half-decent though.

To OctoPrime, or anyone else who may have grown up around a Mary Brown's, do you remember those Tex Mex wraps they had in the mid-late 90s? Not like the salad-based ones they have now with mostly lettuce, these were big weighty wraps with rice and chicken and some kinda sauce. They kinda disappeared around 97-98 and never resurfaced since. I remember being annoying that I couldn't get them anymore since they were pretty awesome. I've had nothing like them ever since.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Is there not one thing

I have turned to the Evol Burrito as a proof against fast-food Mexican. It's exactly the same price as two tacos at the taqueria next door, but comes without the peer pressure to get a torta ahogada instead.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
What was this?

I avoid fast food as much as I possibly can. Money is tight and I'd rather skip the $5 fast food meal and use that money toward the next visit to the grocery store.

We did have Burgerville on the road trip at Christmas and we ate some wings at a Superbowl party but I think that's about it. I don't even buy coffee anymore. I feel like we were out late with friends and got something recently but I can't place it for the life of me. I honestly don't remember the last time I ate food in a car. I did go to Subway at lunch sometime last October, I guess but now I go to the produce stand a little further down the road. Fresh soup daily! Om nom nom.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM
100% All Original

An Elevation Burger opened up near me recently, and I tried it for the first time the other day. It was a pretty darn good burger, but the fries (fried in olive oil!) were especially good. Also they have pecan chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, mmm.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
What was this?
We went over it in another thread... I think it started out with them sponsoring some event hosted by some right-wingnuts, and then when called on it they pretty much just said "yeah, we don't really like gay people".

Anyway, the only national chain fast food I can stand to eat (that have outlets in the southeast, anyway) are Wendy's (where I pretty much always get the Bacon classic and a frosty) and Taco Bell (which I know isn't actually good or remotely Mexican, but I kind of like it in a guilty pleasure way, and it doesn't really bother me that there's not much meat in their "beef" since I eat vegetarian half the time anyway). Oh, and Subway/Quiznos I guess. But yeah, I prefer to eat at places with more local ingredients and flavor if I have an option.

Oh wait, I forgot: Buns! Opened up a couple years ago. I honestly have no idea if it's a chain, but it has damn good burgers and dogs and sweet potato fries.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Shares?

I eat all the fast food. Nothing is beneath me.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I eat all the fast food. Nothing is beneath me.
We should roll up on some Del Rancho chicken fried steak sandwiches. Gather the OK tyrants?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Shares?

Quote:
We should roll up on some Del Rancho chicken fried steak sandwiches. Gather the OK tyrants?
You can consider me perpetually down for this.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
You can consider me perpetually down for this.
Making the thread now.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM

We must have had 10 threads like this!

After suffering the mother of all diarrhea I am never fucking with McDonald's again.

Burger King is still alright in my book. I like their burgers as they are bigger and juicier and whatever factory chemicals they use to give it that "fresh off the grill" taste is awesome. Plus the fries taste great and are not the salt sticks that are sold at McAcidShit.

I haven't tried In-and-Out, Five Guys, Jack in the Box, etc. because they don't seem to be in my area. I'm curious to try them all because I consider the Hamburger one of the Top 20 greatest things humanity has ever created.

Subway is my perennial go-to for fast food and may continue to be.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy Hits View Post
And where you've eaten lately.

Nadia and I finally got to try one of their burgers (and a Coke drink we don't have here... Vault, I think?) when we were in New York recently. I wish we'd been able to try more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I had In 'N Out Burger, like... a month ago? And Chic-Fil-A over Christmas. I rarely eat at chains, which is partially due to health concerns and partially because the only chains I can stand (Chic-Fil-A, Sonic, Arby's) don't have outlets in San Francisco.
Pardon the expression, but you have very good taste in fast food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I live in middle-of-nowhere Newfoundland and there's exactly one franchise out here: Mary Brown's Fried Chicken.

It's an Eastern Canada restaurant chain, mostly, I think I saw like one when I lived in Ontario. Most of you have probably never even heard of it, except OctoPrime. If he somehow avoided it all his life then I'd be shocked. Shocked and appalled.
We have one relatively close, but have only ever eaten there once.

As for us, we just had Popeye's delivered tonight. They seriously botched our order on Friday, so we got a 75 percent discount, and decided to try some stuff. I splurged on shrimp, Nadia got this cajun bowl thing, we got some biscuits and corn on the cob, and a couple of small sandwiches for tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Gesundheit!

Your Popeye's delivers? Jesus, I'd never have to walk down the block ever again.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
After suffering the mother of all diarrhea I am never fucking with McDonald's again.
Yeaaah. Back in college I took some friends to college for a joke dinner (candles and tablecloths and everything!). It was great until about half an hour later when we all went classy bowling (dressed in suits and dresses!) and suddenly I doubled over in pain and stumbled to the bathroom. McDonald's gave me green liquid shits, like I was a sick six-month-old or something. My coworkers don't seem to have an issue with shredding their innards by eating at McDonald's on a regular basis, but me? I need those intestines for later in life.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Hmm. I ought to do joke dinners at Fazoli's. Dress up in a cape with a fedora and all that, along with my paisans. Fazoli's is classy Italian fast food.

Well, my McD experience was never that bad. Thank God.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
actually an eevee

Speaking of joke dinners, my junior prom dinner was at Waffle House. My bf, bff and my bff's sister and I were like 'ehhh, who wants to spend money?'

(It was delicious)

I guess the most recent fast food I had was Jimmy Johns, which is surprisingly fast. I don't really see why a lot of people go gaga over it; I'd rather just get quiznos.

btw, sonic food is pretty bad.

(best fries goes to Rally's/Checkers)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 AM
borgn

We have had this conversation a million times over, and it is worth having every single time.

For my money - and they do get my money, more frequently than I'd like to admit - Crown Fried Chicken is the best got-dang fried chicken I ever ated. It's "halal fried", whatever that means, but I think it means they put opium in the frying medium. Because I could and have eaten from there every day for a week. I guess it's an NYC/Jersey/Philly ghetto chain. As in, you will never find a Crown Fried anywhere you would also find anything remotely upscale, like at all.

I don't really consider Subway to be fast food, in that you can get meals there that are basically just raw vegetables. Subs are sandwiches, which don't have to be fast food. They can be, but my odd, probably highly personal opinion of fast food is that it has to be bad for you, with an implicitly negative impact on health. Considering I can load up a 6-inch turkey with green veggables and mustard and still have it come in under 400 calories, that's not a bad thing.

I've said it before but the most dangerous, hazardous aspect of my neighborhood is that there's a GameStop, a Subway and a Starbucks all next door to each other a block away from me.

Dizzy is right, Burger King's flame-broiling philters and tinctures, and the salt they bake into the fries are awesomer than the Klown's. Though Wendy's Spicy Chicken sans tomatoes and plus honey mustard is Civilization. And THAT IS ALL.

The only times I've ever gotten sick from fast food have been from small, non-chain places, save for one time at a Popeye's, which has really put me off of it. And while I'm not exactly proud to say it, there have been times when the dollar menu at McDonald's has been a lifesaver, especially those horrid little McDoubles.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 AM

As a veteran of the value menu I'm fairly fond of Carl's Jr's spicy chicken sandwich. Just ask them to take off the mayo and add tomato for a relatively less unhealthy and fairly tasty lunch break.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Subway is my perennial go-to for fast food and may continue to be.
Likewise. I've removed most other kinds of fast food from my diet, but I just don't know how to quit the subs.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 AM
We just don't know.

I just don't like subway. The ingredients... they never sat right with me. I end up disappointed at their slightly soggy bread, their limp veggies. I like quizno's a lot more for what it is - lots of crazy sauces and weird recipes (chicken carbonara, oh mah lawd). But what I really went nuts over was this chain near my apartment in LA called Togo's. They had simpler sandwiches like subway, but they did it with amazing bread (Dutch Crunch, hello) and the ingredients always seemed really fresh and delicious. They had reubens, pastrami, hummus sandwiches... even their tuna salad was really tasty. Oddly enough, their meatball sub was the only lackluster one I had there.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Gettin' dizzy

I wholeheartedly love Panera even if it is overpriced yuppie soups, salads, and sandwiches. I miss that place. Even the mac and cheese was superb!

Also I have never eaten so much Subway as I have in the past month. Its ok, but Jimmy Johns or Jersey Mikes is so much better. But I think this will change now that I am allowed to leave the base and can get real food.

Tags
black bun , deep-fried , fries with that , good food quickly , guilty pleasures , ha1loween , hamburgers , i'm burgin' , regional differences , where's the beef? , wholegrains kill you