The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM

Yeah, that is what I noticed - Sherlock in this adaptation is not quite as sharp as the character he's based on so they can avoid blowing the narrative tension by having Holmes work out everything halfway through and then just be coy about it.

One thing I liked was how fiercely they emphasised that Watson was an intelligent man in the presence of an insufferable genius.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
This is wonderful.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM
A No.1

Yeah, I really liked it. Man, I'm hankerin' for a new one. They're going to be weekly, right?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Yeah, I really liked it. Man, I'm hankerin' for a new one. They're going to be weekly, right?
For two more weeks.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Penalty Box

Although given the huge ratings for the debut and the buzz it's generating online (I've had about four different people ask me about it this week), it's probably safe to assume a second series.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Comprehends Words

That was fantastic.

I...I don't really have anything else to add, really.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
:O

That was awesome. If they don't make a second series I will be severely disappointed.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
That was awesome. If they don't make a second series I will be severely disappointed.
It's a British series, so don't count on it. Their system doesn't work like that - it's easier to think of it like the studio system, where doing good work usually means they get more money or more freedom on whatever they decide to do next.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I Cuss You Bad

I wouldn't be too worried. If reports are to believed there will certainly be more.

The BBC likes huge viewing figures as much as the next network, even if they don't have to rely on them for anything other than political reasons.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Comprehends Words

Since I'm only familiar with a few Holmes short stories, and never read any of the novels I went ahead and looked up a summary of A Study in Scarlet. The reversal of the clue was a pretty cute nod to folks familiar with the original, in retrospect. Especially considering Sherlock's indignation about the German theory.

In jokes really are the best.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM

I remembered one real problem I had with the reveal sequence.

The guy is not "talking people into killing themselves". He threatens them with a gun to get them to go somewhere, and then to take the pill. If they don't, he'll shoot them. Why the fuck doesn't Sherlock call him on this? "If you were really brilliant, you wouldn't need the gun," and such.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Penalty Box

I think it was more because he thought pointing out it wasn't a real gun to begin with was more deflating.

New episode's up... and it's 700MB. Expected, but I think my Top Gear download's going to be done first.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Penalty Box

Your classic story reference this time is The Valley of Fear (although in this case, it was harder to crack the cipher... but they did pick a very nice modern equivalent of the "universal book.").

[That was one of my favourite puzzles as a kid, because it's such a simple one but works so well in the end.]

They're doing a really good job of making the stakes high, and this was an effective update of the "evil exotic foreigner" Doyle trope we were talking about re: A Study in Scarlet. And the mistaken identity gag was a terrific way of working humour into the climax even though the tension stayed there. I thought this was better-paced than last week, actually - it felt more like a movie than last week's extended TV episode.

Still not quite "Blink", but this has now been two of Moffat's three best ever scripts. That's not shabby.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Very good, but this one isn't Steve Moffat - different writer. And Mark Gatiss (the co-creator) writes the last one.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM
We just don't know.

My friends and I got together and watched the first two episodes last night. I really liked it, although the first was rather better. Disagreeing with Sven re: episode 2, though. I don't know if it was just getting late or my asshole friends were talking too much or what, but the second episode really felt like it dragged on a little too long.

Minor detail that stood out: I really like what they did with text messages in this as opposed to most TV/movies where they show a stupid-looking fake screen with a message on it for a few seconds too long. I also really liked the similar thing they did with his detection, esp. when he was examining the Pink Lady - having the notes pop up so we could follow along instead of HURP DURPing around while he looks at stuff then having him explain it to us, something that bothered me in the RDJ movie. Then it kinda pissed me off when he turned around and explained it all anyway, even though there was a little more depth there. I think that could use some work.

I see what Merus is saying about his being less brilliant so we can follow along, but I don't like the way they did it, at least in episode one. They show us all these ridiculous deductions - which are great and arguably the point (or at least one of them) of Sherlock Holmes - but the one he misses on is the easiest of them all: the goddamn cab driver. How do they go through all that with the Taxi and never even guess or consider or LOOK AT the driver? As soon as he went on about "hunting in the open" we immediately guessed Taxi Driver. I can see slowing him down a bit - like not getting the right book for a while in the second episode. But when the audience gets there so far ahead of the main character - especially when it's Sherlock Holmes and it doesn't feel believable that he wouldn't have even thought of this - it's just frustrating.

Could use juuuust a little more development between Holmes and Watson - not to the Downey/Law extent but getting a little more of the friendship and banter in there would be nice.

I'm having trouble believing that they never intended for this to go on past 3 episodes. Intoducing Mycroft and then not using him in the next episode means he'll either come back in the third episode which will feel crammed in, or they're planting him for later. And seeing any kind of resolution for Moriarty by episode 3 would feel rushed. It doesn't seem like they're running a 3-and-off series here, it seems like they're setting up for a much longer one from the beginning. Which is excellent news, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 PM
A No.1

I agree with everything Paul said, both about the thing Sherlock missed in Episode 1, and how Episode 2 was the weaker of the two. Still liked it, though, and I'm hungry for Episode 3!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Penalty Box

I think my love of episode 2 is more that they riffed on one of my favourite stories than anything else, but I maintain that it had a better pace to it.

I got the cab driver when they chased after him, but before that I was either thinking that it was one of the cops, as the opening, in retrospect, kind of makes it obvious who the killer is. Mind you, I'm not really going to criticize a show for avoiding a typical mystery swerve - and Holmes has always been a bit more about the deductions that get you to the conclusion than the conclusion itself.

Frankly, they could show the murderer in the first scene and it wouldn't matter to me all that much, because what's more interesting is the piecing together of the disparate clues and leads to reach a conclusion.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 AM
gatchapon 3*

i'm 20 minutes in to ep1 and jesus christ, this is the best sherlock ever.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Comprehends Words

I also found episode 2 to be kind of a let down, especially when compared to episode 1, but still enjoyed it.

The whole fun of Sherlock Holmes is watching him deduce wild things from small details, which the first had in spades, and the latter was sorely lacking. Also, I really hate the whole mistaken identity cliche. Does John Watson not have ANY personal ID in his wallet? I thought it was odd that he would order the tickets under Sherlock's name, and it turns out it was just a lame gimmick to give the Chinese lady more ammo. Top it all of with the tired 'foreigners don't understand sarcasm' schtick, and you get a scene that was excruciating for me to watch.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Hawkguy

I'm enjoying the latest much more than the Blind Banker

EDIT: Just finished it. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHH WHAT and I'm not a big fan of the portrayal of Moriarty.

Last edited by sraymonds; 08-08-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM

There were two things that bugged me, but I can only recall one now.

Second round: Modern-day England, particularly London, is a Big Brother kind of place. There is absolutely NO WAY that some guy - who clearly has a wire sticking out the bottom of his coat - stands on a busy streetcorner for six+ hours without the police coming by. Be lucky to be left alone if he was there for more than ten minutes.

Also, Not sure how I feel about this Moriarty.

Also also, FUCKING CLIFFHANGERS ARHGAHRG
Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

I really liked The Great Game a lot. I mean, yes, the cliffhanger kinda sucks, but only if they don't do any more (which I'm sure they will).

I wonder if I'll be in the minority for liking the effete characterization of Moriarty. It struck me as the right amount of genius and derangement for a modern adaptation of the world's only consulting criminal.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Aside from the end, I thought The Great Game was great, very much a step above the second episode.

I really enjoyed that they kept Sherlock as an utter bastard, aside from his little bit of kindness toward the end with Watson. I also liked how they focused this episode on how brilliant Sherlock is supposed to be.

Don't know how I feel about Moriarty, when he first showed up I disliked him, but thinking back he's actually kinda entertaining. I like his insanity, think it's a nice parallel to Sherlock as well, which I'm assuming they were going for. His voice annoys me, though, mainly the odd inflection. Kinda surprised there wasn't a fight that dragged 'em both into the pool, to mirror The Final Problem. Cliffhanger, of course, sucked (especially since I don't see why blowing the bomb would really do anything too much different than just shooting Moriarty

Still, it was a good finale, and I can't wait to see the next season.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
Don't know how I feel about Moriarty, when he first showed up I disliked him, but thinking back he's actually kinda entertaining. I like his insanity, think it's a nice parallel to Sherlock as well, which I'm assuming they were going for. His voice annoys me, though, mainly the odd inflection. Kinda surprised there wasn't a fight that dragged 'em both into the pool, to mirror The Final Problem. Cliffhanger, of course, sucked (especially since I don't see why blowing the bomb would really do anything too much different than just shooting Moriarty.
Yes, the voice is what bugged me the most about Moriarty. And re: shooting the bomb, it would kill everyone in the room including the snipers or create enough dust and debris to disrupt the snipers' line of sight.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Penalty Box

Yup, the problem wasn't Moriarty - the problem was that there were multiple (nice lift of the gag from Predators) snipers trained on their position. And, yeah, I was also expecting them to wind up in the pool as a reference.

This one was good, but there were pacing issues that weren't there with the first couple. While the series of mini-mysteries was a nice touch - especially as this was the first story not clearly based on one of the novel-length adventures - it didn't quite have the same feel of the first two until the final scene. The middle 45 minutes were a bit too meandering - understandable, given the structure and the lack of having an origin or bigger ending to pad things out a bit. I guess it felt a bit too Christie and not enough pulp, although the ending made up for the pacing issues.

Something gives me the feeling that they filmed two endings depending on how the ratings went. Since they've been solid all the way through (31.3 share for this week, ye gods), that's not an issue.

As for Moriarty, I'm leaning towards liking the characterisation. He was such a rare figure in the original stories - people tend to think of him as an omnipresent bad guy like Lex Luthor, when he only has a couple of actual appearances in Doyle's stories and is never actually seen in person by Watson - that there really isn't much to work with. Given a choice between a more manic characterisation and the traditional "cranky old professor" type, EG, the Moore version in League v1, I'd rather have this one. You have to play him sort of like Holmes' mirror image, replacing emotional detachment with something a bit more manic.

My big complaint is that it almost seems like the same type of character Jon Simm played The Master as (specifically that really flippant version he was at the end of "Utopia"), but if it wasn't for the significant tie-ins between Sherlock and Who that wouldn't be an issue to begin with.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM
We just don't know.

I really liked this one. I found that this one had much better pacing than episode 2 did, and I really liked the portrayal of Moriarty. (Is that a spoiler? They say his name in episode 1 for gods' sake. If you didn't see it coming that he'd be in episode 3...) I thought the voice was odd but not necessarily out of place, and it was interesting. It's also a counterpoint to Sherlock's constant deadpan. Also I feel bad for not having figured out that was him from his first innocent intro - several of my friends nailed it. I thought they did well enough concealing it within a throwaway for how callous he was, but I guess I should know better by now.

I also liked how Watson got some time to do... something, but wish he'd gotten just a little farther than he did before Sherlock came in and figured it all out after all.

What a crap cliffhanger though.

Can't wait for the inevitable new episodes! When do we think they'll be out?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Can't wait for the inevitable new episodes! When do we think they'll be out?
Depends on Moffat and Gatiss, which means it depends on how long it takes to get through the new season of Doctor Who. They filmed Sherlock in January, but this past year of Doctor Who filiming was a bit weird. If they go back to September - Decemberish, it's doable, but Moffat's going to get burned out right quick EPing (and writing) two shows at once.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 AM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

Episode 1 was brilliant. Episode 2 was alright. Episode 3 was pretty awesome and still undecided on the ending.

My biggest problem with Episode 2 is how Sherlock somehow managed to miss the English words written on the photograph. I mean, Jesus, last time he looked at two people and immediately deduced what they spent last night doing, how can he have missed that? It felt like it was shoehorned in to length the plot and give Sarah something to do other than "be the girlfriend and get kidnapped".
Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 AM
I Cuss You Bad

This one was based on the Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans. I loved it - it had a real momentum to it and Moriarty was actually threatening. I've read the books and hardly remember him he was in them that little (also I must have found him a bit dull) so this is a major improvement.

There's definitely going to be a second series though, so that's good.

In the meantime I've got The Deep to watch, which on the basis of part 1 looks to be the BBC's take on The Abyss.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I also liked how Watson got some time to do... something, but wish he'd gotten just a little farther than he did before Sherlock came in and figured it all out after all.
Agreed on this. Ah, well.

I liked it, cliffhanger and all. The only thing that bothered me was the voice, but I do admit it was a pretty good counter to Sherlock.